phelpsie87

Taking A Scanner Through The TSA Checkpoint

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:04 am

Hey guys,
I am just looking for some help. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything. I am traveling to SLC tomorrow and I wanted to take my scanner since I will be staying right by the airport. My question, is it ok to take my scanner through the check-point in DEN on to the concourse? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Also, can any UA employees give me the loads for UA 393 leaving tomorrow?

Thanks!

EMBQA

RE: Taking A Scanner Through The TSA Checkpoint

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:07 am

A scanner is not permitted for use on board the aircraft, so you may get questioned...but I know of no regulation that prohibits it.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KFLLCFII

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Thread starter):
is it ok to take my scanner through the check-point in DEN on to the concourse?

No worries, just keep it in the carry-on for the xray machine. I've never had an issue, even with random bag checks.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Dreamflight767

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:11 am

I carry my scanner on planes with me ALL the time, actually every time I travel...so does my scanner. It probably has the same Frequent Flier Mileage I do.

You'll have no problems. I have never been asked to take it out, turn it on, or show it to anyone. I just pack it in my carry on like any other electronic I bring with me.

Aaron

phelpsie87

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
A scanner is not permitted for use on board the aircraft, so you may get questioned

Yeah I figured that, and it makes sense. I just don't want to get to the airport tomorrow and get in some hot water Big grin.

phelpsie87

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:15 am

Great! Thanks for your help guys!!

phljjs

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:26 am

The scanner may not be used during the flight, but it is not a prohibited item. I've seen probablyrn8 scanners come through PHL in the last couple of years and they'vernnever been a problem. You may be stopped and the scanner may be ETD'edrndepending on how it looks on the x-ray screen, but the chances are itrnwould look like any other radio or electronic device and will passrnthrough with out a problem. If you are stopped, just honestly answerrnany questions about the device and explain that you are an aviation enthusiast and this is just your hobby. Please do not reach for the scanner or bag while the search is in progress and you should be on your way after a few minutes.

goCOgo

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
A scanner is not permitted for use on board the aircraft, so you may get questioned...but I know of no regulation that prohibits it.

Of course, being on UA, Ch. 9 may be available.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

United_fan

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:17 am

I always take mine along . Never had a problem. I like to listen to ORD tower with my headphones on when awaiting the next flight  Smile
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

phxplanes

Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:38 am

I bring my scanner and have never been searched. If you are worried you could take the batteries out so they wont think you are trying to use it onboard.