flyprivate

Concorde Sonic Boom

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:23 am

If a concorde is flying at 65,000 feet, above the speed of sound, and it flies over a jet at 35,000, will the people in the lower jet feel or hear the boom?

PolymerPlane

RE: Concorde Sonic Boom

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59 am

Yup, I would think so. I remember watching about SR-71, they said the only clue the enemy has of the SR-71 presence is by the sonic boom, and by then it's already hunderds of miles away.

But I do not know whether people inside the aircraft can actually feel it, because of the aircraft insulation.

One of the reason concorde was doomed is because of sonic boom across the land. That is why it can only fly above water and desert.

Cheers,
PP
One day there will be 100% polymer plane

jetblueatjfk

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:06 am

Well I don't know if they would feel it that much becuause of all of the insolation on the plane but I think they have to head a little something.

B6jfk airplane 

ba757gla

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:23 am

surely them concorde has flown over land supersonic !1 i see miltary jets high up going pretty fast !1

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting FlyPrivate (Thread starter):
If a concorde is flying at 65,000 feet, above the speed of sound, and it flies over a jet at 35,000, will the people in the lower jet feel or hear the boom?

Potentially, depending on other factors such as noise proofing, other noise sources etc.

Quoting PolymerPlane (Reply 1):
One of the reason concorde was doomed is because of sonic boom across the land. That is why it can only fly above water and desert.

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 3):
surely them concorde has flown over land supersonic !1 i see miltary jets high up going pretty fast !1

Yes, Concorde has flown supersonic over land, it did it fairly frequently over Canada on both the round the world trips and the final delivery flights to the museums.

This is a good example of Concordes double boom:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE

ba757gla

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:36 am

that video is great . didnt know you could see concorde from ground level!1

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:39 am

i see miltary jets high up going pretty fast !

But is "pretty fast" faster than the speed of sound? Do you hear sonic booms?

Quoting PolymerPlane (Reply 1):
That is why it can only fly above water and desert.

Could, not can.  Sad

Concorde did some supersonic test runs over the UK in the 1970s and I think Australia authorised supersonic flights over its interior but I don't know if any were ever made.

Cue GDB and Bellerophon...

ba757gla

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:44 am

the miltary jets look to be going a lot faster than commercial flights. so if there were going supersonic the boom would happen over the atlantic/north sea then the jets would fly across the land at supersonic speed i dont know but thats what i think?

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 7):
so if there were going supersonic the boom would happen over the atlantic/north sea then the jets would fly across the land at supersonic speed

Not quite sure what you're saying there. If they were supersonic over land then there would be a sonic boom over land.

GDB

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:18 am

Plans to extend the run to SIN, to MEL, was stopped before they ever happened, by enviromental protests, despite any route being over barely inhabited outback and at most, a 3 x weekly service.

BA Concorde did indeed supercruise over Canada, on average from the mid 80's to 2000, several times a year, not included any segment of a round the world charter.
OAG did it for the very last time, for it's delivery to Seattle.

vc10

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:32 am

Generally the old girl only flew supersonic over land which was of the sandy desert variety or the cold snowy variety. The only inhabited piece of land which was constantly flown over supersonic from almost the beginning to the end of Concorde's career, was Sable Island in the North Atlantic which tended to get the full Mach 2 bang everyday. A group of us went there one day to experience this bang and would you believe it, BA cancelled that days service.

Australia gave permission for supersonic proving flights over it's deserts ,but would not give permission for schedule supersonic flights.

As to whether you would hear a supersonic bang inside an aircraft which Concorde was overflying, I presume you would and in the early days of Concorde operation the crews were told to keep a look out for other aircraft that they might fly over at supersonic speeds and broadcast a warning over the radio. This was more to do with the fear though that the supersonic
shock wave could interfere with the subsonic aircraft's pitot and static system.
It never seemed to be a problem and the warning procedure was dropped after a year or so.

I could be wrong,but most of the round the world charters routed through New York and then a further subsonic leg to their initial destination in the mid west or Pacific coast. The Toronto flights were routed supersonic across the Canadian northern Arctic deserts.

Just as an aside even the Concorde's flight Tashkent to Moscow had to be done at subsonic speeds

Anyway be happy little vc10

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 10):
I could be wrong,but most of the round the world charters routed through New York and then a further subsonic leg to their initial destination in the mid west or Pacific coast. The Toronto flights were routed supersonic across the Canadian northern Arctic desert

According to the round the world charter video I have, the JFK to Vancouver segment was done supersonic, travelling north from JFK and then looping over the northern territories rather than travelling direct to Vancouver.

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 9):
Plans to extend the run to SIN, to MEL, was stopped before they ever happened, by enviromental protests, despite any route being over barely inhabited outback and at most, a 3 x weekly service.

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 10):
Australia gave permission for supersonic proving flights over it's deserts ,but would not give permission for schedule supersonic flights.

Well, I was in the ballpark  Smile. Cheers, guys.

vc10

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 11):

According to the round the world charter video I have, the JFK to Vancouver segment was done supersonic, travelling north from JFK and then looping over the northern territories rather than travelling direct to Vancouver.

Richard,

As I said I could have been wrong on this, especially if the charter you are referring to is an Air France one, but I do not remember BA doing one as even the trip to Seattle some 20 years ago was routed through New York and subsonic to Seattle, and time was important on that trip. The Canadians were quite sensitive about allowing supersonic flight over their territory, but on a one off you could be correct.

littlevc10

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting VC10 (Reply 13):
As I said I could have been wrong on this, especially if the charter you are referring to is an Air France one, but I do not remember BA doing one as even the trip to Seattle some 20 years ago was routed through New York and subsonic to Seattle, and time was important on that trip. The Canadians were quite sensitive about allowing supersonic flight over their territory, but on a one off you could be correct.

It was the BA 1999 round the world charter, and the route wasnt specially agreed with Canadian authourities for that trip, it was a route taken many times before and was only possible due to the skill of Concorde crews navigation (after all, they went supersonic up the centre of the Red Sea on these trips as well):

JFK to Vancouver
Vancouver to Kona
Kona to Nadi
Nadi to Sydney
Sydney to Guam
Guam to Bangkok
Bangkok to Madras
Madras to Nairobi
Nairobi to Aqaba
Aqaba to Venice
Venice to Lisbon
Lisbon to JFK

The JFK to Vancouver segment was done flying north over Montreal, then going supersonic while looping out over Hudson Bay, Churchill and into Vancouver.

byronsterk

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:30 am

Could the pepole inside concorde hear it?
Helicopters can't fly, there just so ugly the earth repells them...

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting Byronsterk (Reply 15):

No, it was on the outside of the shockwave they were producing (the boom people hear is the leading edge of that shockwave).

PolymerPlane

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:43 am

No, it was on the outside of the shockwave they were producing (the boom people hear is the leading edge of that shockwave).

Just an addition, since you travel twice the speed of sound, the sound wave from the sonic boom could never reach you Big grin

Cheers,
PP
One day there will be 100% polymer plane

bravogolf

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:03 am

surely them Concorde has flown over land supersonic !

A number of years ago Concorde was at the EAA Oshkosh Show. They flew passengers, at $500 I believe, north to Hudson Bay. and return When they entered Canada, they went supersonic. They dropped to subsonic when they returned to the US. If I remember correctly, they flew two trips a day for several days and were sold out almost immediately.

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 16):

And remember that the shockwave that causes the sonic boom doesn't just exist at the moment the aircraft breaks the sound barrier, it's present during the whole supersonic portion. To someone moving at the same speed as the aircraft it would sound like the "boom" except it would go on for hours, not just a fraction of a second

Max Q

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:10 am

I can tell you personally that, yes you can feel AND hear the bang(s) as Concorde used to fly overhead.

Returning to NY a few years ago from London she overflew us just off the south west coast of Ireland.

In the Cockpit we were able to see and hear her very well, as well as feeling a noticeable vibration.

She is missed very much.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Morvious

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:51 am

I remember that BAW DvD of the concorde on the flight to and from NYC.

After takeoff from London, they were routed to the Bristol channel where they could start accelerate to sonic speeds.
I also thought that the NYC routes were always sonic over the ocean, and not over land??
have a good day, Stefan van Hierden

vc10

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 14):
It was the BA 1999

Richard , if you mean it was a BA charter in 1999 then I have an excuse as I retired in 1998, and so would have no personal knowledge as to what happened post 1998. If the flight was prior to 1998 then I take your word for it, but I never heard about it

Quoting BravoGolf (Reply 18):
EAA Oshkosh Show

Have just checked with with a friend of mine who crewed the Oskosh trips in 1985 and 1988 and yes they did do trips from Oskosh but none were supersonic. Does this mean they never did them at a later date and the answer is I do not know ,but I have to say that if they did then the passengers got a very good deal as $500 sounds extremely cheap for a supersonic flight

Nice talking to you all Littlevc10

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting Morvious (Reply 21):
I remember that BAW DvD of the concorde on the flight to and from NYC.

After takeoff from London, they were routed to the Bristol channel where they could start accelerate to sonic speeds.
I also thought that the NYC routes were always sonic over the ocean, and not over land??

Yes they were, which was why they were routed over the Bristol Channel - they could start the supersonic acceleration and climb while still in UK airspace, route south of Ireland and just keep going. Concorde also didnt keep a set altitude, it was allowed to climb as it burnt off fuel, which is why you see greater altitudes on longer segments.

Concorde then decelerated to arrive at JFK.

If Concorde was routed further south out of the UK, it would have had added an extra 30 minutes or so to the trip while it cleared Lands End in Cornwall.

canuckpaxguy

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:30 am

I have a question -
I thought Concorde only made a boom once it accelerated past the sound barrier, so there would only be one "boom" once it hit its supersonic speeds.

Is that case, or would one hear the boom any time Concorde flew past them at supersonic speeds?

G

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 24):
I have a question -
I thought Concorde only made a boom once it accelerated past the sound barrier, so there would only be one "boom" once it hit its supersonic speeds.

Is that case, or would one hear the boom any time Concorde flew past them at supersonic speeds?

Hmm, good question. Oh, wait a minute...

Quoting David L (Reply 19):
And remember that the shockwave that causes the sonic boom doesn't just exist at the moment the aircraft breaks the sound barrier, it's present during the whole supersonic portion.

SFOerik

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:01 am

Yes, you can feel the sonic boom inside Concorde. The pilot announces when to expect the subtle yet detectable 'double speed bump' as I would call it.
FYI.

e
I will no longer stress about upgrades!

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting SFOerik (Reply 26):
Yes, you can feel the sonic boom inside Concorde. The pilot announces when to expect the subtle yet detectable 'double speed bump' as I would call it.

Those "bumps" are the reheats being lit, two at a time. That happens when you're subsonic and about to accellerate towards Mach 1. In the cabin, the only clues you get are the Mach display and the pilot's announcement.

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting SFOerik (Reply 26):
Yes, you can feel the sonic boom inside Concorde. The pilot announces when to expect the subtle yet detectable 'double speed bump' as I would call it

Look at it this way: if the sonic boom only happened as the aircraft passed Mach 1, you'd be able to take off from JFK, fly out to sea a bit, go supersonic and then fly across the USA without making a sonic boom. But Concorde wasn't allowed to do that because the sonic boom followed it along the length of its flight path as long as it was supersonic.

dl757md

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 10):
I could be wrong,but most of the round the world charters routed through New York and then a further subsonic leg to their initial destination in the mid west or Pacific coast.

I know the range of Concorde was severely limited at subsonic speeds. Did it have trans-continental range such as JFK-YVR for a wholly subsonic flight?

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

cptspeaking

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:50 am

-

The shockwave is always there...the boom is just as it travels by you. Think of a cone extending in all directions from the plane (I know this isn't completely accurate...for explanation purposes only  Smile ). As this cone comes in contact with something, that is where the sonic boom is at that instant.

Your CptSpeaking
...and don't call me Shirley!!

S12PPL

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 5):
that video is great . didnt know you could see concorde from ground level!1

Why wouldn't you be able to see the Concorde from the ground???
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

lehpron

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting FlyPrivate (Thread starter):

Yes, as one would get closer to the source, the 'boom' will get louder and stringer. But unlike things on the ground, the airplane absorbs little impact because it can move vertically breifly, perhaps even mistaken for turbulence.

No, and from what I hear, it's a smooth ride.

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 16):

Actually there are many waves and when they expand outwards like ripples in water, they coalese into what sounds/feels like two distinct waves.

To someone moving at the same speed as the aircraft it would sound like the "boom" except it would go on for hours, not just a fraction of a second

That would only be if one we flying right at the wave, forget the above mentioned. I'd ask which empenage-sourced leading wave would you want to sit on?  Wink I'd say the wing is the strongest.

would one hear the boom any time Concorde flew past them at supersonic speeds?

Bingo. Here is a water analogy, if you were floating in a lake and boat passes you by, you will get hit with the bow wave and the trailing wave, then deal with the choppy wake until things calm down. Same with Concorde and anything moving past the speed of sound, waves 'ripple' off the plane and travel outwards. After you hear/feel the 'double' boom, then you hear the engines, i.e. the choppy wake, until things calm down.

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 31):
Why wouldn't you be able to see the Concorde from the ground???

Something 200-ft long and 60,000-ft up moving at 2000-ft per second -- think about the scale of things, especially if you didn't know it was there.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

sovietjet

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:57 am

Why were there environmental protests? How does a sonic boom hurt the environment?  rotfl   banghead 

AlexPorter

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:10 pm

When Concorde was flying supersonic, could people at the front of the cabin hear the engines? I would think that the noise would stay behind, but since the engines were attached to the plane, perhaps the vibrations would cause passengers to hear them anyway. Which was it?
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

Max Q

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:35 pm

I am certainly no Concorde expert, but I do not think they flew higher than 60,000 feet.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Newark777

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 pm

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 34):
When Concorde was flying supersonic, could people at the front of the cabin hear the engines? I would think that the noise would stay behind, but since the engines were attached to the plane, perhaps the vibrations would cause passengers to hear them anyway. Which was it?

You would still be able to hear them through the cabin.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 35):
I am certainly no Concorde expert, but I do not think they flew higher than 60,000 feet.

The record held by a Concorde was 68,000ft, and in operational flight they regularly flew over 60,000ft on longer segments.

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 33):
Why were there environmental protests? How does a sonic boom hurt the environment?

Noise pollutes quite a lot and sonic booms can do damage.

UAL777UK

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:39 pm

You cannot hear the boom inside the cabin but you can feel a little bump as you go through the sound barrier. For me, the only way i knew i was flying supersonic, was the speed dial on the bulk head, once your up there the only way you can tell its so fast is if you did the second JFK-LHR flight (pre crash etc), when the night sky would be on you in a flash!

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:32 pm

Quoting VC10 (Reply 13):
As I said I could have been wrong on this, especially if the charter you are referring to is an Air France one

Air France had planned a very special Charter flight for the Millenium : Celebrate 3 times the new Millenium :

1) Celebrate the new year 2000 in CDG. Take off from Paris CDG on January 1st 2000 at 00:15AM heading JFK.
Land in JFK at 10:00PM back on Dec.31 1999
2) Celebrate the New Year in JFK. Take off from JFK at 00:30AM heading YVR.
Land in YVR at 11:00PM back again on Dec.31st 1999.
3) Celebrate 2000 for the third time in YVR, then take off to HNL for the end of the trip.

This flight was finally cancelled because AF was refused the right to fly supersonic over North Canada by the Canadian Authorities.
I was supposed to do it !!!  mad 

Concorde did flew sometimes at supersonic speed above lands, always for special occasions :
When carrying French President to Japan, Concorde was allowed by the Soviet Authorities to fly Supersonic over Siberia (en route refueling stop at Novossibirsk-OVB) or during the "speed WorldTour record", heading east, Air France Concorde was cleared by the Saudi ATC to fly at the Supersonic speed from the Mediterranean sea over Suez and the desert of Saudi Arabia straight to BAH.

No. You wouldn't any "bang" inflight while inside Cocnorde. It was even quite frustrating because, except for the Mach meter indication, you did have any "physical" feeling of the speed.

EGTESkyGod

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:56 pm

Quoting AlexPorter (Reply 34):

I'm told that the only noise heard in the cabin was the air conditioning system working away, and the air whistling past the windows.

I so badly want to experience this!
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:04 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 40):
I'm told that the only noise heard in the cabin was the air conditioning system working away

True. But you could also hear the sound of the engines, very low, but louder than all other rear mounted engine aircraft like the MD80, F100, or even Caravelle.
Nothing to compare with the greatest unforgetable sound you would hear when seating on 28A !!!  snaggletooth 

EGTESkyGod

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:13 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 41):
Nothing to compare with the greatest unforgetable sound you would hear when seating on 28A !!!

Now you're just trying to make me jealous............ and it's working!!!!  banghead 
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

vc10

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting Dl757md (Reply 29):
I know the range of Concorde was severely limited at subsonic speeds. Did it have trans-continental range such as JFK-YVR for a wholly subsonic flight?

yes it.s range subsonic was less than that at supersonic, but as the airlines gained more experience with the aircraft many things were done with it which would have been considered doubtful at the beginning.

A lot of subsonic flights were done into the American heartlands from New York. Now as far as New York - Vancouver flight subsonic I cannot say as I do not remember one being done [ could be failing memory though ] but I can confirm that New York - Seattle was operated subsonic with a full load on behalf of a restaurant in Seattle which wanted to be the first restaurant in Seattle with the new seasons French wine.

The details are G-BOAB ,
15th November 1984, New York - Seattle , 4 hours 58 minutes
17th November 1984, Seattle - New York, 4 hours 02 minutes

So if it could do that sector then I presume New York - Vancouver was also possible

Just for interest Tashkent- Moscow subsonic 96 passengers took 5 hours

littlevc10

David L

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 32):
To someone moving at the same speed as the aircraft it would sound like the "boom" except it would go on for hours, not just a fraction of a second

That would only be if one we flying right at the wave, forget the above mentioned. I'd ask which empenage-sourced leading wave would you want to sit on? I'd say the wing is the strongest.

Yes... but I thought that was implied.  Smile

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 38):
You cannot hear the boom inside the cabin but you can feel a little bump as you go through the sound barrier.

No! The two bumps you feel have nothing to do with the sound barrier.

Quoting David L (Reply 27):
Those "bumps" are the reheats being lit, two at a time. That happens when you're subsonic and about to accellerate towards Mach 1. In the cabin, the only clues you get are the Mach display and the pilot's announcement.

Bellerophon

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:21 pm

RichardPrice

...and in operational flight they regularly flew over 60,000ft on longer segments....

Not correct.

Maximum permitted altitude was 60,000 ft.

Regards

Bellerophon

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting Bellerophon (Reply 45):

Not correct.

Regards

Bellerophon

On the Round the World charters, they regularly flew above 60,000ft as the fuel burnt off on the longer segments - the pilots just let the aircraft climb naturally as it decreased in weight.

Starlionblue

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:37 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 46):
Quoting Bellerophon (Reply 45):

Not correct.

Regards

Bellerophon

On the Round the World charters, they regularly flew above 60,000ft as the fuel burnt off on the longer segments - the pilots just let the aircraft climb naturally as it decreased in weight.

According to http://www.concordesst.com/performance.html:
- Maximum operating altitude 60,000Ft

According to the certification sheet http://www.concordesst.com/A45eu.pdf:
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 47):

According to http://www.concordesst.com/performance.html:

According to the certification sheet http://www.concordesst.com/A45eu.pdf:

If I remember, and if I get time, later tonight after I finish work, I shall post a video of a Concorde pilot being interviewed on the 1999 charter saying exactly what I just said, and giving the current altitude (in excess of 60,000ft).

diesel1

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:42 pm

I recall in the early 70s Concorde carrying out test flights where the intention was to go supersonic to find out what the impact was on those on the land below - I can still remember the large boom and the surprise it caused.

Living in Pembrokeshire (West Wales, UK), where these flights were targeted at, there was concern that from an environmental angle that the boom could cause damage to buildings, for example damage glass etc..

A further concern (and one that was reported on TV in USA) was that the unexpected sound of the sonic boom could impact those working in jobs where concentration and accuracy was essential - e.g. what of the surgeon carrying out an operation who would be surprised by the boom just at the point he was making an incision or carrying out a particularly difficult procedure?

In more recent times, living in South Wales, more or less under the flightpath for Concorde across the Atlantic after leaving LHR, we would hear the windows shake a little as the sonic boom reached us. I miss that evening alarm call from Concorde....
I don't like signatures...