f.pier

Berlin Airports When The City Was Divided

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:09 pm

How were Berlin airports used when there were the Federal and the Democrat Germany? Were them all 3 used for all destinations/people or they were dedicated for eastern and western citizens?

USPIT10L

RE: Berlin Airports When The City Was Divided

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:22 pm

THF was in the US sector and PanAm used to run their IGS (Internal German Service) from there until the '70s, when it moved to TXL in the British sector. BEA ran services to London, AF ran flights to Paris, and the US ran services to JFK and West Germany. AFAIK, no other airlines were allowed in West Berlin. East Berlin had SXF, and Interflug was based there.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

FlySSC

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 1):
when it moved to TXL in the British sector

TXL was in the FRENCH sector, not the British one.
Another airfield called Berlin-Gatow was located in the British sector.

[Edited 2006-06-11 16:35:49]

USPIT10L

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 2):
TXL was in the FRENCH sector, not the British one.
Another airfield called Berlin-Gatow was located in the British sector.

Thanks. Haven't looked at a map of divided Berlin in a while. Do you know the code for Gatow? Can't seem to find it.

highpeaklad

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:41 pm

Dan Air London also flew Berlin - Saarbrucken, and also charter flights, so I presume there were also other US/ French carriers.

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

FlySSC

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 3):
Do you know the code for Gatow?

I don't even know if it has a code, as I don't think any commercial flight was operated from there.
It is/was located in the British sector, completely west of former West-Berlin.

USPIT10L

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:44 pm

Thanks for the map. Now it makes sense. If I'd had the map in front of me when I posted, I wouldn't have made that mistake. I always liked THF. Remember the airport scene in the last Indiana Jones movie? It was filmed at THF. At least it will become a museum, which is what a grand old terminal should become.

FlySSC

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Here is a link for informations about Berlin-Gatow :

http://www.planeboys.de/gww/the_airfield_gatow.htm

Leskova

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:50 pm

I seriously doubt Gatow has any codes... according to the following link, it's been closed since 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatow_Airport

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:00 am

Apparently, BEA operated commercial flights from Gatow to LHR via HAM, with DC3 back in 1945. The flights were quickly transfered to/from THF.

columba

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting F.pier (Thread starter):
Federal and the Democrat Germany?

The Federal Republic of Germany was the democratic part.
Despite of having the word "democratic" in it the "German Democratic Republic" was not democratic at all.

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 4):
Dan Air London also flew Berlin - Saarbrucken, and also charter flights, so I presume there were also other US/ French carriers.

Airlines flying to Berlin-Tegel up to 1990:
-Pan Am and Pan Am Express
-TWA
-Modern Air
-Air Berlin USA
-British Airways
-Dan Air
-Air France
-EuroBerlin France (-Lufthansa�s step in the door, having this joint airline with AF)

There was one airline called Tempelhof Airways USA flying from Tempelhof.
Gatow has mostly been served with British Helicopters and an
occasional RAF C-130.

Schoenefeld was the East-Berlin airport used by the East-German airline Interflug as well as Aeroflot and other East-European airlines such as LOT, Malev and CSA.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

sw733

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting Columba (Reply 10):
Schoenefeld was the East-Berlin airport used by the East-German airline Interflug as well as Aeroflot and other East-European airlines such as LOT, Malev and CSA.

All my times in Berlin and Germany, this past winter was the first time I was ever at SXF. While the airport is very modern and updated, the train station, which I used to get to Prague from there, still screamed East German to my friend and I.

Very interesting topic though, I was always kind of curious about this too.

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 5):
I don't even know if it has a code, as I don't think any commercial flight was operated from there.

Yes there was, I flew several times from Gatow (lived on the base from 1984 to 1990).

TriStar500

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:26 am

No to forget that SXF was also used by western passengers for flights to Eastern Block countries. There was a special border station (at Waltersdorfer Chaussee in Rudow) and corridor from the very southeastern corner of West Berlin to SXF, which could only be used by Western citizens with a flight ticket on an Eastern Block airline from/ to SXF.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

HS748

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:37 am

Despite of having the word "democratic" in it the "German Democratic Republic" was not democratic at all.

Don't be so sensitive. He didn't say it was democratic, he just used part of the country's name.

vv701

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:46 am

The only BA flights to the GDR (East Germany) were, I believe, those to Leipzig at the times of the Leipzig Spring and Autumn Fairs. They only operated on the days that the Fairs were open so western exhibitors (who needed to set up their stand before the opening) had to find another way to get there.

We used to fly to TXL where a very luxurious East Berlin limo would collect us, drive us through Checkpoint Charlie and then on to a very luxurious, very expensive East Berlin hotel. There our local taxi - falling to bits with a trailer to put our stand materials in - would be waiting for the dirty, uncomfortable drive down the autobahn.

Leipzig was a revelation on my first visit for an autumn Fair. There was a permanent, brown smog (from burning soft, brown coal or lignite, the only indigenous fuel). Overhead (over the centre of the city) were intermittent sonic booms as the East German Air Force with their Soviet friends exercised ithout a thought about soud pollution and perhaps as a warning to their western visitors below.

The city was obviously beautiful if you could see below the thick layer of grime. Unless you were in the much too expensive foreigner only hotel, essentials in your travel bag were at least one roll of toilet paper and a plug to fit a basin (assuming you wanted to wash during your visit).

There was not much to do but eat in the evening - the East Germans were anxious to take (legitimately) as much hard currency off you as they could. So, for example, while prostitution was illegal in the GDR, government employed prostitutes frequented the bar in the aforementioned too-expensive hotel!

At the end of the Fair you packed up quickly and hurried to LEI to catch the last BA flight to LHR for six months!

wrighbrothers

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 15):
The only BA flights to the GDR (East Germany) were, I believe, those to Leipzig at the times of the Leipzig Spring and Autumn Fairs. They only operated on the days that the Fairs were open so western exhibitors (who needed to set up their stand before the opening) had to find another way to get there.

Yes, I beleive it was the only time.

Is that the proper name for communist East Germany ?

It's GWW.

Wrightbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

DavidT

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 15):
At the end of the Fair you packed up quickly and hurried to LEI to catch the last BA flight to LHR for six months!

Must have been a fair old drive  Smile

I think its LEJ?

Leskova

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 16):

Yes - with the German name being "Deutsche Demokratische Republik", or DDR.

Quoting DavidT (Reply 17):
I think its LEJ?

Correct, Leipzig is LEJ; LEI is Almeria in Spain.
Smile - it confuses people!

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:01 am

It's GWW.

That's what I thought also.But when I checked, I found that GWW is the code for Goldsboro-Wayne Municipal Airport (Notrh Carolina/U.S.A) ...  scratchchin 

columba

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 14):
Don't be so sensitive. He didn't say it was democratic, he just used part of the country's name.

Not being sensitive at all just clearification for those who don´ t know  Wink
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 19):
That's what I thought also.But when I checked, I found that GWW is the code for Goldsboro-Wayne Municipal Airport (Notrh Carolina/U.S.A) ...   

It used to use GWW as RAF Gatow, but currently has no 3 letter code assigned as GWW was reissued when the base was handed back, its 4 letter code is EDBG and it is a nonworking airfield.

antonovman

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:44 am

Laker also had quite a big charter operation out of TXL

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 21):
It used to use GWW as RAF Gatow, but currently has no 3 letter code assigned as GWW was reissued when the base was handed back, its 4 letter code is EDBG and it is a nonworking airfield.

Thanks for the clarification. That's what I missed.
Nice pictures from planes, taken at GWW :

http://www.planeboys.de/

RichardPrice

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 23):
Nice pictures from planes, taken at GWW :

http://www.planeboys.de/

Thanks for that link, brought back some memories  Smile

http://www.planeboys.de/gww/raf/hastings_tg503.htm

Used to play in and around that aircraft in that exact position 20 years ago.

patroni

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:24 am

When Air France started using the Caravelle on its flights to Berlin, they had to move from THF to TXL, as the runway in THF was insufficient for the Caravelle (at full payload I assume). A few years later, when the new terminal in TXL was built, BEA and PA followed and THF was practically closed down except some smaller airlines like Tempelhof Airways.

Only airlines from the USA, UK and France were allowed to use the three corridors to Berlin and the West Berlin airports. KLM, Austrian and (I think?) SAS served SXF in East Germany. I assume though that e.g. a KLM aircraft had to fly over Denmark and enter East Germany via the Baltic Sea rather than via the domestic German border.

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:40 am

Actually, the Army of the 4 countries US, UK, France & the Soviet Union were free to go wherever they wanted in ALL Berlin at that time, including East-Berlin for the UK, US, French Army and West-Berlin for the Red army ...

As mentionned, the three corridors were used exclusively by the airlines of France, UK and US :

On April 29 1952, an Air France DC4 heading TXL deviated from its route inside the corridor. The plane was shot by twi MiG-15 while approching West-Berlin. The aircraft was damaged and three passengers wounded but the pilots managed to escape and landed safely at TXL.

[Edited 2006-06-12 01:55:56]

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 6):
member the airport scene in the last Indiana Jones movie? It was filmed at THF

Actually this was San Francisco Treasure Island Airport. Inside the airport's main building/musuem is the german swasticka used in the filming.

The airport doesnt have a code and since the worlds fair in 1939 it hasnt had a flight either. The Airport terminal building, runway strip and hangars all remain to this day.

Due to the war it was used by the Army/Navy and in the 1950's it was planned to become an airport, however the added runway length required for jets meant the artificial island in SF bay was not practical and so it was never used.

The hangars are used in various movie sets over the years. The Airport building / lookout tower isnt really used for anything... but is a perfect preserved example of a 1930's airport, checkin, drive in, waiting area and boarding lounge.. to an airport where the planes never arrived.

If you want to see the island and the runway layouts/ buildings / hangars etc look up zip code CA94130 on google maps.. and scroll up the island towards the bay bridge which connects to the island.

despite being british I had the honour of living in this land which time forgot island for 3 years !
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

EddieDude

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Which of the Berlin airports is going to become BBI?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:58 pm

SXF. Berlin-Schoenefeld.

Well at least part of it ...

EddieDude

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks. Does anybody know what happened after a court issued an injunction against the closure of THF? Will it be definitively closed when BBI becomes fully operational or even before then?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

FlySSC

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Both TXL and THF should be completely closed when BBI will be fully operational, as they are both completely IN the city of Berlin and have to face more and more restrictions ...

757lgw

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:52 pm

why is it that LH don't use Berlin as a major hub , i would have thought with it being a large capital city it would have been a popular choice , but they dont even serve LHR from there. Does this have anything to do history and the divide?

TriStar500

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting 757lgw (Reply 32):
why is it that LH don't use Berlin as a major hub , i would have thought with it being a large capital city it would have been a popular choice , but they dont even serve LHR from there. Does this have anything to do history and the divide?

No. Lack of high-yielding demand.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

monkeyboi

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:31 pm

I lived in Berlin from 1984-1988 as a kid,always remember flyin home to uk using either BA 737-200 Txl-Lhr
OR Britannia 737-200 from Gatow to Luton! happy days...

Sukhoi

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:07 am

[

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 13):
No to forget that SXF was also used by western passengers for flights to Eastern Block countries. There was a special border station (at Waltersdorfer Chaussee in Rudow) and corridor from the very southeastern corner of West Berlin to SXF, which could only be used by Western citizens with a flight ticket on an Eastern Block airline from/ to SXF

I know that Interflug had two flights a week from SXF to ARN so where else did they fly to western Europe and to Eastern Europe? Did they fly longhaul also?

Regards Sukhoi

PanHAM

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 26):
Actually, the Army of the 4 countries US, UK, France & the Soviet Union were free to go wherever they wanted in ALL

[quote=FlySSC

They had sovereign powers in their sectors, but had to ask for permission to cross over on friendly visits into the other sectors, as it is customs with the Military. That could be granted or not. Certainsly, the Western Powers did not want Russian tanks in their sectors. There where some standing institutions, amongst theses the Air Traffic Control for all of Berlin which was staffed by all 4 powers.