Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Oykie
Topic Author

SAS Braathens Boss Petter Jansen To Be Fired Today

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:25 pm

According to Norwegian newspapers, Petter Jansen will be fired today in a extraordinary board meeting today.

Anyone know what he has done? To be fired like this he would have to do something serious wrong? SASBraathens where the only SAS airline to operate with a profit.

DYflyer

RE: SAS Braathens Boss Petter Jansen To Be Fired Today

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:28 am

The official reason is "difference of opinions on strategies". Apparently Jansen and John Dueholm didn't get along very well. Dueholm and resigning CEO Lindegaard are friends, and well one could only speculate.... Dueholm is also one of the candidates to take over after Lindegaard resign.

Could this lead to new strikes? Jansen was very popular amongst the workers, and the workers representatives fought hard for Jansen at the board-meeting. Also when the SAS board make the final decision to close the technical base at Sola (SVG) later this week i find it hard to believe that the Norwegian unions will sit quite and let the board ruin the Norwegian divisions like this.

heisan67

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:09 am

The official statement:

Petter Jansen leaves position as CEO of SAS Braathens

Petter Jansen, Chief Executive Officer of SAS Braathens, the Norwegian company within Scandinavian Airlines Businesses, will leave his position. He and the Board of the company have different views on a number of vital issues concerning the conpany's future strategies.

SAS Braathens has produced good earnings, while implementing an arduous restructuring and merger process..
"Petter has done a good job at SAS Braathens," says John S. Dueholm, Chairman of the company Board. "However, he and the Board do not share the same views on the desired strategic development. We have consequently agreed to part."
"The merger between SAS and Braathens has been completed and a new strategy for the coming years is being developed. Since we do not agree on these issues, it is natural that we part," says Petter Jansen. "I abide by the basic rules of business and leave my position."
Petter Jansen will leave his position on 12 June 2006. Johnny Skoglund has been appointed acting CEO.

For further information, please contact Hans Ollongren, Senior Vice President, SAS Group, +46 8 797 1950

SAS Group Corporate Communications

heisan67

Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:12 am

Some says that Jansen are strongly against SAS closing down the SAS technical base in Stavanger...which SAS Braathens uses quite a lot. Lindegård wants to close this technical base.

scalebuilder

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Heisan67 (Reply 3):
Some says that Jansen are strongly against SAS closing down the SAS technical base in Stavanger...which SAS Braathens uses quite a lot. Lindegård wants to close this technical base

I guess I am with Mr. Jansen on this one.

My understanding is that this particular technical base is ranked among the best 737 maintenance bases in the world. Not just does this base maintain the 737 fleet of SAS Braathens, but also for numerous other customers.

I understand the need for SAS to consolidate operations, though I simply do not understand how a money losing airline can afford to shut down a particular division that is said to be profitable.

Oykie
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Scalebuilder (Reply 4):
guess I am with Mr. Jansen on this one.

My understanding is that this particular technical base is ranked among the best 737 maintenance bases in the world. Not just does this base maintain the 737 fleet of SAS Braathens, but also for numerous other customers.

I understand the need for SAS to consolidate operations, though I simply do not understand how a money losing airline can afford to shut down a particular division that is said to be profitable.

I agree with you on this one. And Jansen if that is why he was fired. I am really a bit amazed to hear about the fact that he could be asked to resign for giving his opinion on why it is not a good idea in to close down the SVG maintenance base. It would have been better to shut down one in Sweden, Denmark or even in OSL. Why isn't anyone thinking about starting a new maintenance company at SVG trying to make most of the worker continue in the new company and keep the contact with their customers so they can compete head on against SAS Technical Services. From what I have heard Braathens Technical services can compete with Shannon Aerospace on price even if Shannon Aerospace has 57% of the labor cost per employee that BTS has.

scalebuilder

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting OyKIE (Reply 5):
Why isn't anyone thinking about starting a new maintenance company at SVG trying to make most of the worker continue in the new company and keep the contact with their customers so they can compete head on against SAS Technical Services.

I would think this would make great business sense too. With the total fleet of 737s to show a net increase in the years ahead, this reputable technical base should be well positioned to thrive, even if it was on its own.

I have never seen the point in centralizing maintenance around major hubs as it just adds to existing congestion. Stavanger ought to, in my mind, to be within reasonable reach of several European hubs where the outsourcing of technical services would be an option.

Knowing that Mr. Lindegard is on his way out of SAS in just a few months, I find it very inappropriate for him to make the call for closing this base now. If it is some part of a long term strategy for SAS, Mr. Lindegard will not be there to carry this out anyway.

He should spend his last months keeping SAS as intact as possible and leave it to the future CEO to make calls like these.

heisan67

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:01 am

SAS boss' firing draws fire
Just a few months ago, Petter Jansen was among the most heavily criticized bosses in Norway, Now his former employees at airline SAS Braathens are upset after his sudden departure over the weekend.
Petter Jansen was cleaning out his office at SAS Braathens Sunday afternoon.

Jansen quit SAS Braathens on the spot Sunday after he and SAS' corporate board of directors agreed to disagree on a "future strategy" for the airline's highly challenged Norwegian-based operation.

"This is most unfortunate and very upsetting," said Jan Levi Skogvang, leaders of an SAS Braathens' pilots' association. "We couldn't believe it was true when we first heard the news."

Skogvang said it was a "shock" that a "pillar" of the company was leaving. "Jansen has played a central role in the positive development of SAS Braathens," he claimed.

All of the employee representatives on SAS' board voted against accepting Jansen's resignation, and complained that information from the company about the disagreement between Jansen and the board was "terrible."

Jansen has been hit with several employee labour actions, however, in his successful drive to turn losses at SAS Braathens into profits. The SAS board conceded that Jansen had made a good contribution to the airline, but that he and the board "had different ideas" about how things should be run in the future.

"We therefore agree to go our separate ways," said SAS chairman John S Dueholm.

Jansen had been mainly responsible for implementing the merger between airlines SAS and Braathens. His two years as chief executive of SAS Braathens saw cost cuts of NOK 14 billion, massive layoffs, outsourcing and various conflicts among SAS and Braathens workers.

Passenger confidence in SAS Braathens hit an all-time low this spring because of flight delays and cancellations that resulted from the labour unrest.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/business/article1348346.ece

breiz

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:15 am

Let's face it. Stockholm (SAS headquarters) gives a sh**t about the maintenance base in Stavanger inherited from Braathens.
They have their own corporate agenda and Stavanger does not fit in, whatever.
We have now to see what the Norwegian politicians have to say about it.
Boeing, according to local newspaper "Stavanger Aftenblad", indicates that it is a bad idea to close this particular maintenance base.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos