TIA
Topic Author

Albanian Airlines To Stansted

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:00 am

I just read in an Albanian paper, and Amadeus is showing the flights too, that LV is starting 4 weekly flights TIA-STN on June 16th. This definitely came out of nowhere, especially considering the fact that BA just started LGW-TIA in March, and I also thought that Luton would be a better airport because I thought there was a substantial Albanian community there.

Horus

RE: Albanian Airlines To Stansted

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:05 am

TIA, A tad off topic but do you know the plans for the Albanian carrier, Belle Air? This month's AW magazine states they will start flights to Athens, Cairo, Sharm El Sheikh, Dusseldorf, Istanbul, Antalya, Tunis and London/Stansted but no time frame was given.

Horus
EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

TIA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:19 am

I wouldn't count on the plans of any Albanian carrier. Two years ago, Albatros Airways, an Albanian LCC started services with a single F100 wet leased from Montenegro Airlines to a gazillion Italian destinations, each served a couple of times a week. They also either started or planned to start ATH and IST. They now have a much smaller network and I have no idea how they are doing financially.

What I know is that late last year, some of the people behind Albatros had some sort of a fall out with the current management and they established a new LCC, Belle Air with a MD83 wet leased from Croatia. When Belle Air started operations, it listed STN, Liege, ATH and IST among others as future destinations. However so far, it has pretty much copied Albatros's business plans, with flights to just a few Italian airports. A couple of months ago, Belle Air even announced that next year it wants to starts flight to NY, which shows that either the management is on crack or that they just announce destinations for publicity purposes. So I don't have any faith in any routes they announce.

With that said, I could see how the routes you mentioned could work, at least as charters. ATH and IST can sustain more flights if prices are just right. DUS and STN could also work. However, CAI, Sharm El Sheikh, Antalya and TUN would only work as charters during the Summer and December.

Humberside

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:14 am

I thought LV had wanted to serve LGW for ages

I have had a look for Belle Air on the internet but all I can find on the is that they serve Forli

As for Albatros Airways - here is their website - http://www.albatrosairways.info/ - and I see that they do serve Istanbul as their only non Italian Destination
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

TIA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:36 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 3):
I thought LV had wanted to serve LGW for ages

True. They never got permission from the British authorities.

I have had a look for Belle Air on the internet but all I can find on the is that they serve Forli

www.belleair.it

As for Albatros Airways - here is their website - http://www.albatrosairways.info/ - and I see that they do serve Istanbul as their only non Italian Destination

They don't serve IST. Their route map on the website is outdated. Look at their flight schedule or try to book a flight for more accurate info. They only serve BGY, BRI, PSA, VRN, RMI.

sw733

Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting TIA (Thread starter):
I also thought that Luton would be a better airport because I thought there was a substantial Albanian community there.

My guess would be that Stansted would appeal more to business people and London tourists (as Stansted is seen by most people as 3rd in line of London airports after LHR and LGW). Albanians with ties to family and friends in London will still go there, whether is be to LHR, LGW, STN, or LTN - it's all "London". That combination leads to STN over LTN...and over LHR and LGW because of economics and slots most likely.