atlaaron

EU Mergers Coming To The US

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:11 am

There was just an article on Yahoo the other day discussing the US is moving quickly toward allowing foreign investment in US airlines. It went on to discuss how for the first time it would allow European airlines and US airlines to merge and specifically went on to mention CO as a takeover target.

I am surprised we have not discussed this more on here than we have. Instead we have talked about UA and CO merging and etc. I think there is much more likelihood of seeing us lose several of our famed US airlines to the Europeans (although they may still operate under US names).

The article also went on to mention a merger between United and Lufthansa because of their close working relationship.

Who do you guys think could and WILL possibly marry with a European airline? I personally could see AA and BA first. IMHO the airline would continue operating under both brand names.

timboflier215

RE: EU Mergers Coming To The US

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting ATLAaron (Thread starter):
lose several of our famed US airlines to the Europeans

I wouldn't see it like that. If it helps the US airlines to become stronger, it can only be a good thing. As for BA/AA, severaly competition hurdles, espeically over trans-atlantic flying, would need to be passed before they could merge.

KFLLCFII

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:14 am

Virgin + Virgin America  Big grin  duck 
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

lijnden

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:10 pm

Are the brits opening up LHR? If not, nothing will happen!

Possible mergers are:

Air France-KLM with DL, CO and NW
Lufthansa-Swiss with UAL and USAir
BA with AA
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

UAL777UK

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:32 pm

I certainly can see a financial tie up with UA/LH, Tilton has made no secret at UA he wants to see foreign investment in US airlines raised significantly more than than the 25% thats already here.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:28 pm

European airlines arent going to buy into a US airline unless they are allowed to control it.

Afterall what says they fudge it up as they have been doing then all the EU is doing is bunging cash to bundled american airlines so they can fudge along a bit more.

Dont forget European airlines dont have to buy american. South America is still an untapped market for the majors..
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY