airplanetire

Customs And Immigration At Airports In Bahamas

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:25 am

I'll be travelling to the Bahamas in August and have a few questions about the customs and immigrations procedures at Bahamian airports, specifically Freeport (FPO).

-Do authorities stamp passports in the Bahamas, or do they just look at them since passports are not required for US citizens (or are they?)?

-Do passengers travelling back to the United States clear US immigrations in the Bahamas instead of in the United States as is the case for flights going from Ireland to the US?

-If so, do flights from the Bahamas to the United States arrive in the US as if they were domestic flights?

Thank you for your input!

jmy007

RE: Customs And Immigration At Airports In Bahamas

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:30 am

From my understanding, if you pass through using your passport, you can request a stamp, just like with Canada.
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

flypdx

Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Airplanetire (Thread starter):
-If so, do flights from the Bahamas to the United States arrive in the US as if they were domestic flights?

They do. You clear at the airport in the Bahamas. At least that was the way it was in NAS.

Mir

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 2):
Quoting Airplanetire (Thread starter):

They do. You clear at the airport in the Bahamas. At least that was the way it was in NAS.

I once flew on a USAir Express flight from Treasure Cay to PBI. There was no US customs in Treasure Cay (in fact, there wasn't much of anything), and so we cleared customs in PBI. I understand that NAS has pre-clearance, but other airports in the Bahamas may not.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Skyteam10001

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:52 am

Hey. I flew to and from FPO back in March.

On your arrival, you will get a nice stamp on your passport  Wink

On your departure, you will clear US immigration and customs in FPO, and then you will arrive in the US as if you arrived from any domestic US destinations, which is great for connections !

Hope that helps.
Aurelien

ERJ170

Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting Jmy007 (Reply 1):
From my understanding, if you pass through using your passport, you can request a stamp, just like with Canada

I recently (Memorial Day) flew to Montreal and back.. and I didn't get any stamp on my passport. It was simply looked at and returned. No stamps, no questions, no problems..
Aiming High and going far..

NASBWI

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:34 am

I think that the Bahamas is amending its immigration policy to make passports mandatory (even from US citizens) as opposed to a birth certificate. Other than that, the other points were covered (FPO offers pre-clearance and your passport does get stamped). Have fun!
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

jmy007

Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 5):
I recently (Memorial Day) flew to Montreal and back.. and I didn't get any stamp on my passport. It was simply looked at and returned. No stamps, no questions, no problems..

Ask, they won't stamp it if you don't Ask!  Smile
I have stamps from Calgary and Vancover, and they have been more than happy to do it.
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.