Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

AA And Avod

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:21 am

This may be a stupid question, and I still can't ever get the search function to return anything, so if it has already been asked, point me in the right direction and feel free to delete this one.

Here's my comment/question:

Does AA have AVOD for their IFE? I sure seem to recall being able to pick which movies I've wanted to watch in both F and J classes on several trips on the 777. Don't remember C, so I can't say anything for that.

Is that even what AVOD is (I assume, though not completely certain that AVOD stands for Audio Video On Demand)? If not, an explanation would be much appreciated.

It just seems to me that AVOD is the latest craze, and I suppose I'm wondering how its different from the product that AA has been offering in their premium classes for at least 5 years now?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

utapao

RE: AA And Avod

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:22 am

AA's current IFE product is not AVOD. It offers multiple channels (9-10), that run in roughly 2-hour cycles. So you can choose what you watch, but if you don't catch the first few minutes of a channel, you will have to catch it next time around. So, Channel 1 is CBS Eye on American, runs approximately 2 hours, and after a 15-20 minute "break" to allow for all the videos to finish, the entire cycle starts again. So you could watch Eye on America again, or switch to another channel. Usually 2-4 or 5 are movies, 8 is comedy, 9 is like CSI or another prime-time show (2 segments per cycle), 10 is kids network, and the others in between are sports, Japanese shows (for NRT-KIX flights), etc.

But if you wake up from a nap, you can't just push "Pink Panther" and have the movie start "on demand".

Hope that helps.
Sawasdee khrab!

willyj

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:27 am

Although in First Class on 777s you can watch individual cassette movies in addition to what is playing on the individual screens. I suppose business class on the 763s is also sort of on demand as AA uses individual dvd players, so you can stop/rewind/pause, etc but you can't flip through channels.

utapao

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:39 am

Willyj -

Good catch... I was focused on J and 777 comment, and forgot about the DVD players.
Sawasdee khrab!

nudelhirsch

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting Willyj (Reply 2):
you can't flip through channels.

No, but through a folder with roughly 20 DVDs... The players only play those licensed DVDs though, and the DVDs also do not play on any other player or laptop, so bringing your own does not help if you don't bring your own player too.
Putana da Seatbeltz!

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:57 am

Thank you all for the replies. How silly of me to forget about the cycles, I remembered that being the case as soon as I saw your reply. Thats interesting that the DVD players in J class on the 763 only play the DVDs that AA offers you (I assume thats how it works, the only time I flew J on the 763 was about 18 months ago, DFW-LAX, and they didn't give them out.)

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

qqflyboy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:28 pm

The new IFE for the 763 j-class is on demand, however, they are individual players that have all their content self contained in digital format, what American calls PEDs or Personal Electronic Devices. You might have heard them referred to as DigiPlayers before (Alaska has them), although these are supposedly next generation and much larger.

These new devices contain movies, along with tv programs, music videos, daily news clips and games, and the units are completely portable.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

fxramper

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Camdawg.

I just flew LHR-LAX, AA 135 in C class, and the IFE was pretty crapy. I actually wouldn't have minded paying some cash and flying another carrier home to LAX.

The new AA C class seats look nice though, maybe I'll get one on AA 110/111, ORD-FCO-ORD.

Cheers.
Drew

Let me know when you want a tour of our ramp at AUS.  Smile

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting Qqflyboy (Reply 6):
and the units are completely portable.

For those hardcore movie watchers who have to take their movies with them to the lav, I assume.  Wink

Thanks for the info, Qqflyboy

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos