jumbo747

Request To Go To The Cockpit.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:11 pm

Hi guys.

I just wondered it would be difficult after Sep 11 to visit a cockpit after requesting it.

And what procedures does a pilot take if such request is made during the flight. Do they ask the ground staff, communicate to the airline at the ground or make their own decision.

Thank you.

flyf15

RE: Request To Go To The Cockpit.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:17 pm

For many countries (such as the USA) and airlines, there is no procedure... it is a simple "No." Most likely, it never even gets beyond the flight attendant to the pilot.

RyGuy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 1):
Most likely, it never even gets beyond the flight attendant to the pilot.

I would think that it would never get past the Passanger to the Flight Attendant.

Thanks,
RyGuy
From somewhere out there...

Mir

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:34 pm

The rule in the US is no visitors while the airplane is moving. You can ask for a visit after landing (most likely you'll get it), and I suppose you could ask for one prior to departure, but the pilots are pretty busy during that time and I doubt they'd be very enthusiastic about it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

N766UA

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:36 pm

If you're on the ground they don't care, no big deal. Just pop in and ask.

In the air? Don't even bother.
This Website Censors Me

leftwing

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:39 pm

stay away from such questions on US flts....if you work in aviation feild give your biz card, tell the crew you want to say hi to the capt...dont say u want to see the deck

legoguy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Is there any chance that these laws will ever be lifted within the future??

Ive only ever been in the cockpit once during flight...on a flight to tenerife in the evening. Sunset was beautiful and pilots were great
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

jumbo747

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:46 pm

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 6):

Good point. I would not think this will happen OR may not happen in future. I have travelled quite a bit but LOVE to have this oppurtunity.

Thank you all for your responses.

pilotaydin

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:51 pm

if you fly turkish airlines they will most likely let you up. We flew to Zagreb the other day and we had a Crotian sailor visit us for 30 mins over Bulgaria, it was nice chatting to him
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

legoguy

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 8):
if you fly turkish airlines they will most likely let you up. We flew to Zagreb the other day and we had a Crotian sailor visit us for 30 mins over Bulgaria, it was nice chatting to him

I will keep that in mind. That can be influential to aviation euthatiasts.
Is there a list fo airlines around anywhere that alow cockpit visits whilst in the air?
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Zkpilot

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:11 pm

It comes down to who you know... ie if you know the captain personally then yes you might be able to if you organise it before hand. Or if you work for an airline there is always the possibility if you know the right people  Wink
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

CF188A

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:08 pm

In the future this will wear off............. just like the inbound DCA rule .... No standing 30 minutes prior to arrival or .... 30 minutes outbound Sad ... a poor fello wonce spilled his coffee  Sad
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

BDKLEZ

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:10 pm

Just ask; you'll be surprised.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

NZ8800

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:16 pm

Or fly on smaller aeroplanes...  Smile I was on a Beech 1900D out of Whangarei today and could see into the cockpit all the way back to Auckland, and after we had landed and she had a few minutes, the friendly captain explained some of the instruments to me, even those small 18-19 seaters have an amazing amount of dials and switches...
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

cardiffairtaxi

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:36 pm

I also flew with a Turkish charter(Freebird) from BRS last summer,cockpit door was open for whole flight,and FA`s actually asked if my 7yr old would like to visit the cockpit.Very very friendly.

pilotaydin

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting Cardiffairtaxi (Reply 14):
asked if my 7yr old would like to visit the cockpit

and u said.. NO!!! but i do  Smile

NZ747

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting Jumbo747 (Thread starter):

If you're flying around Air New Zealand in a Saab or ATR, and ask the F/A, Pilots, and sometimes the ground staff nicely while or prior to boarding, they may let you jumpseat. It's much easier if you're somehow involved in the New Zealand aviation industry.

As far as Air NZ's domestic jets go, there is an almost next to nothing chance they will let you. But may on the rare occasion.

NZ747

B6JFKH81

Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:49 pm

No. The cost of upgrading the flight deck entrance to a bulletproof door locked from the inside (the flightdeck) was tremendous for the airlines...start letting people in and they wasted a lot of money for no reason. While the aviation industry is fascinating, its first rule is safety and that can never be comprimised. No matter how good of a metal detector you have to walk through at the airport, if a terrorist wants to bring down an aircraft they are going to do it using whatever they can. If you don't even give them the chance to even get into the flight deck it just makes it very hard for them.

My suggestion would be to look outside the country for this experience (if its an airliner you are looking to get in the flight deck of) or make some friends in the GA aspect of the industry so you can be in the flight deck every time you get the urge for a $100 burger (I guess with the fuel prices now it would be more like a $300 burger!).

Good luck on the endeavor, and let us know if you get to go for a ride!!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

EMBQA

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:07 am

In the US they're over 40 years old, so I doubt it.. FAR 121.547 dates back to the early 1960's.

[Edited 2006-06-17 18:09:43]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

phelpsie87

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:00 am

Yeah, don't even try. Even airline employee's are not allowed to be on the flight deck unless the have JSA, which only includes pilots. But don't be afraid to ask while you on the ground, especially after the flight. Most of the time they are more then happy to talk to you and let you explore.

cardiffairtaxi

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 15):

Too Right!
Must be supervised at all times!!!!

IAHFLYR

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 19):
Even airline employee's are not allowed to be on the flight deck unless the have JSA, which only includes pilots.

Dispatchers are able to within some of their companys and a few select others, but not even ATC kids who had priveledges prior to 9/11 are able to even if you know the El' Captain.....there are some large hoops you can jump through if the airline requests, but that involves a lot of background checks etc., buy the TSA and more, just not worth it.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

sk601

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Jumbo747 (Thread starter):
I just wondered it would be difficult after Sep 11 to visit a cockpit after requesting it.

See the TR section:

www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/79023/

[Edited 2006-06-17 19:45:39]

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:04 am

Not until the Aircraft Lands unless you are a Staff known to the Crew.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

noelg

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 16):
As far as Air NZ's domestic jets go, there is an almost next to nothing chance they will let you. But may on the rare occasion.

I spoke to the gate agent about this for a domestic 737 flight last month - she said the official line is that they will let you ride jumpseat but only if the aircraft is totally full and nobody can be offloaded - even then airline employees have priority over regular pax. But at least it's not a flat out "No"!

But on the regionals, usually not a problem to at least visit the flight deck, particularly on the ground. Just ask the F/A and they are usually accommodating, this goes for the UK too (but only after landing here).

SLUAviator

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:49 am

In March 2001, I jumpseated enroute from BRU to MAD on a Sabena flight. I gave the F/A my STL badge (threw bags there when in college) and my private license and asked nicely. I was not allowed up there for takeoff and landing because I was not a commercial pilot (captain said it only needed to be commercial, not even an airline pilot). I did get an F lunch with the crew once we were in the air. Sure beat the lunches in Y!
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

OPNLguy

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 19):
Even airline employee's are not allowed to be on the flight deck unless the have JSA, which only includes pilots.

False; it's not only pilots. Dispatchers can ride (if CASS-approved) as can certain higher-level company executives, FAA and NTSB folks, Secret Service, and other selected folks.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EMBQA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:35 am

Why does this question keep coming up...and why does everyone have their own opinion on who is allowed in the cockpit..? FAR 121.547 is pretty black and white. Also, the list is VERY short to those allowed in the flight deck if a seat is open in the cabin.

[Edited 2006-06-19 02:43:56]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

atct

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 4):
In the air? Don't even bother.

Yep

Never gonna get lifted.

Personally, If you asked on my flight, during flight, I'd give you a very quick no, and frankly, You'd be a marked man (or woman) for the rest of the flight. No offense, but with security these days, I dont take any chances.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

iairallie

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 4):
Just pop in and ask.

Follow the proper chain of command. See the lead FA before "popping" in. Typical proceedure if you want to visit the flight deck, on the ground only, introduce yourself to lead FA, hand them any credentials (airline id, business card), and ask to say hi and thanks to the folks up front. The FA will then take your credentials up front and ask them permission, wait until the FA gives you the go ahead before going up there. You wouldn't just walk into someone's office with out clearing with the receptionist/secretary first. The flight deck is the pilots office and the FA's are the gate keepers. The Pilot workload is pretty heavy preflight so as previously mentioned the end of the flight is the best time to do this.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

heathrow

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:39 am

I remember as a young child, I was flying alone on QN, and the very friendly flight attnedants brought me up. i was very nervous. it was brilliant. I wish I could still do it.

noelg

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 27):
why does everyone have their own opinion on who is allowed in the cockpit..? FAR 121.547 is pretty black and white.

Maybe because we don't all live in the United States of Paranoia? The FAR only applies to you guys - the rest of us are still able to, but the condititions vary in each country. That's why there's different responses!

aaden

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:46 pm

It's up to the pilot

best to ask after your parked at the gate and the flight is over

EMBQA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting NoelG (Reply 31):
Maybe because we don't all live in the United States of Paranoia?

Well to be honest NoelG... the FAR dates back to before you were born. It is NOT a result of Sept 2001. It is a result of all the bombing and highjackings of the early - mid 60's in Europe and the Middle East.

David L

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting NoelG (Reply 31):
Maybe because we don't all live in the United States of Paranoia? The FAR only applies to you guys - the rest of us are still able to, but the condititions vary in each country. That's why there's different responses!

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 33):
Well to be honest NoelG... the FAR dates back to before you were born. It is NOT a result of Sept 2001. It is a result of all the bombing and highjackings of the early - mid 60's in Europe and the Middle East.

Fair point but just change "Paranoia" to "America" and you have a reasonable response to your question.  Smile

EMBQA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 34):
and you have a reasonable response to your question

David L.. My point being this question has been beaten to death on A.net and the answer really dosn't change. In the US and most of the world the answer is a firm NO..!! Now, as a few A.net members have reported in some parts of Europe, if you ask nice you may get your wish..... but don't hold your breath.

These regulations in the US are not new, they date back over 40 years. It's just been in the last 4 years air crews have buckled down and stopped allowing it. I'm not sure if the CAA has an interactive web site like the FAA does, but I'll bet there are simular rules on their books as well.

David L

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 35):
David L.. My point being this question has been beaten to death

Very true but that's a "use the search feature" issue rather than specifically a "cockpit visit" issue.

These regulations in the US are not new, they date back over 40 years. It's just been in the last 4 years air crews have buckled down and stopped allowing it.

Absolutely and I agree that words like "paranoia" are not helpful.  Smile

I'm not sure if the CAA has an interactive web site like the FAA does, but I'll bet there are simular rules on their books as well.

CAA possibly, I don't know, but there are European airlines who allow visits under certain circumstances. I guess it's the variety of policies that generates the question so often. But each time someone says "it's forbidden, period", the same responses will ensue - "I'm just saying, is all"  Smile.

lapper

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Why does this question keep coming up...and why does everyone have their own opinion on who is allowed in the cockpit..? FAR 121.547 is pretty black and white.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 33):
the FAR dates back to before you were born. It is NOT a result of Sept 2001. It is a result of all the bombing and highjackings of the early - mid 60's in Europe and the Middle East.

Again, the responses given are as if the whole world is governed by FAR rules, which we are not. The original poster is from New Zealand, which is not, if my memory serves me correctly, part of the Union....

It's a shame, I used to enjoy visiting the flight deck when I was a kid. Last time I did it was in June 2001 with my nephew on a 747-200, my first and last look inside a classic 74' flight deck for a long while.

pilotaydin

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:12 am

Why does this question keep coming up...and why does everyone have their own opinion on who is allowed in the cockpit..? FAR 121.547 is pretty black and white. Also, the list is VERY short to those allowed in the flight deck if a seat is open in the cabin.

we don't make up our own answers. It is entirely up to the captain in the very end, at least with our rules....

if you wanna talk about things coming up again, there hasn't been fresh A.net material for months/years now...