flyingnanook

Does UA Issue Credit For Unused Tickets?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:38 pm

Hi all,
I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I've got some mystery disease which is probably going make me have to cancel my trip to DC in a couple of weeks. Part of the trip is on United and I'm curious to know if, like Southwest, they will issue credit for an unused ticket. I know that they won't issue a refund because I bought a nonrefundable fare. I also acknowledge that they will charge some sort of fee if they do issue credit. I just would like some peace of mind that I won't be completely out $350. I also know that I should call them to ask, but my mystery illness makes talking very difficult.

So I was hoping that some nice a.nutters will be kind enough to give me any details on UA's credit policy, if one does indeed exist. If it makes a difference, the classes booked are S and W, not that I know what that means.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Leskova

RE: Does UA Issue Credit For Unused Tickets?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:07 pm

From what I can see in Sabre, most UA fares in W-class seem to have a $100 penalty if the tickets are used as a credit towards a new ticket, but I wasn't able to find any S-class fares... just remember to, if you're really not travelling, cancel before the departure of the flight, because, as the fare note of most fares will say:

TICKET HAS NO VALUE UNLESS PASSENGER CANCELS
TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATIONS ON/BEFORE THE
ORIGINAL TICKETED DEPARTURE DATE.

Hope you get better and won't have to cancel the trip after all!

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

bananaboy

RE: Does UA Issue Credit For Unused Tickets?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:22 pm

In the past, even on a cheap fare, I have cancelled the flight and got full credit against a future flight, as long as it is at least $1 more. Having said that, it was hard to get the UK call centre to book it as they wanted to charge me a full Y ticket. I ended up calling the US and it was sorted out in one phone call.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing