Qazar
Topic Author

Alliances And Taiwan

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:42 am

In the many threads about the alliances (SA, OW, ST), nothing has been mentioned about Taiwanese-based airlines joining alliances...

What are some of your thoughts about the likes of China Airlines and Eva? Would they, Could they, should they join an alliance?

Also, I never understood why some airlines adopted a different corporate identity flying into Taipei (KLM Asia, AF Asia, BA Asia,...)?

Why was this done mostly by European carriers and not North American ones serving Taipei?

Did LH adopt a different identity during their short lived service to Taipei a few years ago?

Leskova

RE: Alliances And Taiwan

Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Qazar (Thread starter):
Also, I never understood why some airlines adopted a different corporate identity flying into Taipei (KLM Asia, AF Asia, BA Asia,...)?

Not sure why US carriers didn't do this - as far as I know this was a legal requirement, as Chinese authorities did not let you fly into China if you flew into Taiwan; a separate airline got them around this requirement, even if the separate airline was only technically existant.

Quoting Qazar (Thread starter):
Did LH adopt a different identity during their short lived service to Taipei a few years ago?

LH used a B747-400 in Condor livery for those flights, if I recall correctly.
Smile - it confuses people!

pelican22

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:10 am

A few years ago ,the government of mainland China,forbid any airline that flew to cities on the mainland,to fly to any city in Taiwan(refered to as the renegade province),so alot of airlines set up subsidiaries with politically acceptable names,in order to be able to fly to Taiwan.

You had. British Asia Airways,KLM Asia,Air France Asie,Swissair Asia,Australian Asia Airways,Japan Asia Airways. Canadian Airlines International, Air New Zealand and the airlines from the U.S flew to Taiwan without having to set up any politically acceptable subsidiary.

ANother

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:16 am

Years ago I was at an industry meeting and the delegate from Pan Am (remember them) said (in all sincerity):

There is only one China, and Pan Am flies to both of them! Today it would likely be 'to all three of them' (four if they served Macao).

I don't think any of the alliances would risk the fury of BJS by inviting a Taiwanese carrier into their alliance. To much to lose, to little to gain.

Qazar
Topic Author

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:19 am

Thanks Leskova!

What are your thoughts about Eva and China Airlines joining an alliance. I believe they would be able to bring the Taiwanese market to other members without requiring the latter to fly into Taipei - especially if that Chinese Law is still enforced.

Is the joining of the likes of Air China into Star and China Southern into Skyteam preventing Taiwan based airlines from joining an alliance?

BTW, is that law still in effect? and why did so many European airlines pull out of Taiwan? Who is still flying there?

Leskova

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting Qazar (Reply 4):
What are your thoughts about Eva and China Airlines joining an alliance.

From what I've been hearing from those that have flown on either, their standards of service certainly are on levels that would make them interesting for an alliance - though, obviously, that's just one small part of the whole picture.

Quoting Qazar (Reply 4):
I believe they would be able to bring the Taiwanese market to other members without requiring the latter to fly into Taipei - especially if that Chinese Law is still enforced.

No, the law is not in effect any more.

Quoting Qazar (Reply 4):
Is the joining of the likes of Air China into Star and China Southern into Skyteam preventing Taiwan based airlines from joining an alliance?

I'd say yes, it is - I simply cannot imagine, for example, Air China and China Airlines working together in the same alliance: while the people actually heading both airlines might not mind, or might even like the idea (don't know if they do, just speculating), I just cannot see Beijing accepting the political implications of this.

For China, Taiwan is a renegade province, and before that province isn't reunited with China, I wouldn't expect anything to happen.

Not that I like the idea, but that's just the way I see it.
Smile - it confuses people!