klwright69

CO's IAH-JFK

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:01 am

Here is a little kernel of information....

Considering CO's long standing juggernaut in the IAH-LGA and IAH-EWR markets, at one time CO was unsure if they even wanted to bother with JFK-IAH. I believe for a long time they never even flew the route. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe they even cancelled it after 9/11, then reinstated it.

Now for a long time, it was only once a day... Then it was upgraded to twice a day.

Now, given B6's explosive growth at JFK, some here have speculated that B6 might want to try JFK-IAH. I was at CO's website today, and had a sneaking little suspicion that CO was going to tweak their presence at JFK again. Well, I was right on. CO is now up to a THIRD daily IAH-JFK nonstop.

I think this is great. I always thought it was retarded CO had this aversion to serving the "other" big NYC airport. This is a clear sign from CO to B6! If B6 wants to serve IAH, CO will take them on, even from JFK, and that CO has not forgotten about JFK.

I correctly predicted CO would beef up its presence from JFK to IAH. I bet we'll even see a fourth or even a fifth JFK-IAH flight in the future. What do you'all think??

Fly764

RE: CO's IAH-JFK

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:31 am

We might have added that flight just to meet increasing summer demand. I haven't heard anything about B6 wanting to take Continental on in this market.

drerx7

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:36 am

Well--rumour has it that CO also snapped up the vacated WN gate at Terminal A at IAH to prevent B6s entrance into the market. Honestly, I would guess that Jetblue would start Houston service to Hobby with ERJ190 flights if they decide to serve Houston. After TZs success with the HOU-LGA route I would guess Jetblue may rethink their Houston plans as they will be taking on TZ/WN and CO on the Houston - New York route. The market exist for them to fly Houston - Boston, Houston - DC, and Houston - Long Beach without as much direct competition. I'd like to see what they plan on doing here in Houston...if anything. Houston has been stagnant in terms of domestic growth in comparison with the international growth.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

CALMSP

Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:47 am

yeah we added this third flight for the additional traffic for the summer and has been meeting full loads on this flight.

Lt-AWACS

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:15 am

AA just recently pulled their AUS-HOU-LGA service, but with TZs success on the route (with the help of WNs codeshare I "assume") B6 might not want to enter the market. Maybe they can make it work with the 170 and the O&D FFlyers from NYC. Good luck, Houston will always take more service Big grin

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Watching you from 30,000 feet
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

cle757

Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:17 am

CO needs to upgrade the CLE-JFK flight to at least a 737-500, that flight is always full and sometimes not all the bags will fit on a SRJ.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

klwright69

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 3):
yeah we added this third flight for the additional traffic for the summer and has been meeting full loads on this flight.

I am not surprised at all by this...

I don't at all deny this is a seasonal adjustment. However, it is still interesting since CO has often shown little interest at all in JFK before, even if it just a seasonal addition.

rwsea

Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:59 am

It would be nice to see DL add this route - there are still several places that DL serves from JFK that are not served by CO. As DL is a skyteam member, they might do ok on the route by being able to attract CO frequent flyers going to Europe or Long Island.

optionscle

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting CLE757 (Reply 5):
CO needs to upgrade the CLE-JFK flight to at least a 737-500, that flight is always full and sometimes not all the bags will fit on a SRJ.

I tried to fly nonrev on this route a couple of weeks ago and it was showing up as 39/37 so I didn't even try. It stayed that way until an hour after departure when they updated it to show 31/37  Sad. The return flight JFK-CLE was exactly the same. This was a Saturday though, I know the weekday flights go out full like you said. As far as I know though, all of the bags make it, the airline just blocks seats instead, isn't that right?

rjpieces

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:33 am

Saw CO 709 takeoff tonight...Nice seeing a 738 with winglets at JFK instead of the usual 735!

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):
It would be nice to see DL add this route - there are still several places that DL serves from JFK that are not served by CO. As DL is a skyteam member, they might do ok on the route by being able to attract CO frequent flyers going to Europe or Long Island.

CO operates out of Terminal 2. Passengers flying connecting from CO domestic to DL international would have no problem.

[Edited 2006-06-16 01:34:22]
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Falcon84

Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:55 am

Quoting CLE757 (Reply 5):

This route could be a prime candidate if CommuteAir does upgrade to the 73-seat Q400. That's a route I didn't mention, because it's only once a day, which I don't understand. But it could use AT LEAST one more frequency.

I worked an ERJ-145 to JFK once, and I kid you not, there were 48 pax on board, and it ended up with 135 bags being taken to JFK. Bags stuffed in the overhead; under every seat; two each strapped in toe the two empty seats; packed in the closet; about 7 or so on the flight deck. It was nuts.
Work Right, Fly Hard

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 9):
CO operates out of Terminal 2. Passengers flying connecting from CO domestic to DL international would have no problem.

Not any more as of two weeks ago the op at Terminal 4
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

DL4EVR

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 11):

Not any more as of two weeks ago the op at Terminal 4

I was just about to ask about that. I flew out of T2 today at 4:40, and not only was there no security there (had to go through T3), there was no reference to CO being there at all. Then when I boarded at gate 29 (CO's old gate), I knew something must've happened. Why did they move?
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

rjpieces

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 12):
and not only was there no security there (had to go through T3),

Any idea why there was no security? How did you get to T3...That must have been a pain...

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):
I worked an ERJ-145 to JFK once, and I kid you not, there were 48 pax on board, and it ended up with 135 bags being taken to JFK. Bags stuffed in the overhead; under every seat; two each strapped in toe the two empty seats; packed in the closet; about 7 or so on the flight deck. It was nuts.

Is most of the traffic connecting to international flights at JFK or what? Same question goes for IAH.

Btw, are you an F/A? I always thought you were a ground agent for some reason...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

N1120A

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 13):
Btw, are you an F/A? I always thought you were a ground agent for some reason...

He is a gate agent. By worked, I think he is talking about working it at the gate.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DL4EVR

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:35 am

Any idea why there was no security? How did you get to T3...That must have been a pain...

No idea. While driving up to T2 there was a sign that said "closed until 12:30 please use t3". Meanwhile it was already 2:00 and T2 was still blocked off. So we had to go around to T3. It was quite a walk from T3 to gate 29 in T2!
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

Falcon84

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:19 am

Was the gate agent that day at D-14. I remember it well.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

petmbro

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:27 pm

I flew the early morning flight back on April 12 and the return on April 20. To my suprise the plane was completely full which suprised me since I'd figured CO would rather have NYC routed through EWR. Our flight left out of the Song terminal (T3?) at gate 29. Seeing how I needed to connect in IAH anyway leaving out of JFK was much easier and more convient than EWR.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

COfaninBOS

Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:11 pm

From my understanding, the service to JFK is successful simply due to business traffic (energy related) heading to destinations not served by CO. With the energy market the way it currently is, it's not surprising that they had to increase the service so that oil/gas workers could get where they need to go.

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 12):
was just about to ask about that. I flew out of T2 today at 4:40, and not only was there no security there (had to go through T3), there was no reference to CO being there at all. Then when I boarded at gate 29 (CO's old gate), I knew something must've happened. Why did they move?

T2 is soon to be buisness elite check in only and the checkpoints are going to be moved and combined into one. T3 is gonna be for everyone else.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

tsnamm

Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:13 pm

I doubt the CLE flight will ever be mainline as the ticket counter and airport ops are handled by Coex...without one of their own aircraft the station would have to be converted to a mainline CO station...the only CO employee's at JFK are the 70+ Cargo agents at Bldg#71.

optionscle

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 20):
I doubt the CLE flight will ever be mainline as the ticket counter and airport ops are handled by Coex...without one of their own aircraft the station would have to be converted to a mainline CO station...the only CO employee's at JFK are the 70+ Cargo agents at Bldg#71.

What about the IAH-JFK flights? Those are already mainline, aren't they handled by CO employees?

tsnamm

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:03 pm

The ticket counter and airport manager are Coex...only Cargo is Continental...

mbm3

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:07 pm

I am surprise that CLE-JFK is only once a day and, more importantly, that this flight is not timed all that well to make connections. I have no issue with it being a COEx station, but how about a couple more frequencies during the day so we can connect to partner airlines?
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

tsnamm

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:15 pm

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 23):
I am surprise that CLE-JFK is only once a day and, more importantly, that this flight is not timed all that well to make connections. I have no issue with it being a COEx station, but how about a couple more frequencies during the day so we can connect to partner airlines?

I agree...it used to be the other way around...2-3 flights to CLE and only 1 to IAH...AA started back to CLE and i'm sure DL may begin also...we need to at least add an early AM flight to CLE...

mbm3

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 24):
DL may begin also

DL has already started flights between CLE and JFK on a Comair CRJ100. There is an early morning and early afternoon flight to JFK and a midmorning and late afternoon flight back to CLE. This will allow DL to take some of the NYC business traffic as well as feed their TATL flights.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

Junction

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):
It would be nice to see DL add this route -

DL has served IAH-JFK on and off in the past. It seems like DL at one time (maybe 5 or 6 years ago) served more major U.S. cities from JFK then they do right now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos