worldtraveler

DL To Announce More JFK Service; Improving Revenue

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 pm

Excerpts from Aviation Daily 6/16

Delta next week plans to unveil a new round of New York Kennedy international expansion plans, The DAILY has learned, partly because of strong results from new flights started this summer.

He added that bookings for the rest of the summer are "well beyond" expectations, giving the carrier enough confidence to add more JFK service. "We're not done yet," Whitehurst said.
In 2004, Delta's adjusted RASM was 13 points below the industry average, but Whitehurst said the carrier closed the gap to seven points in April. The carrier's internal goal is to close the gap to six points, but Whitehurst believes it will beat that target.

GoBlue

RE: DL To Announce More JFK Service; Improving Revenue

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:47 pm

Here's hoping that they announce some decent services from JFK, and put people on mainline jets to bigger destinations, and not regionals.

Jason

positiverate

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:51 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Thread starter):
Delta next week plans to unveil a new round of New York Kennedy international expansion plans, The DAILY has learned, partly because of strong results from new flights started this summer.

Quoting GoBlue (Reply 1):
Here's hoping that they announce some decent services from JFK, and put people on mainline jets to bigger destinations, and not regionals.

Kind of tough to fly an RJ to Europe, S.A., or the Carribbean (the presumed INTERNATIONAL expansion plans)...

Alitalia744

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Positiverate (Reply 2):
Kind of tough to fly an RJ to Europe, S.A., or the Carribbean (the presumed INTERNATIONAL expansion plans)...

Unless there are more 764s planned to come online into int'l configuration...
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

Humberside

Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:56 pm

Are we talking domestic short haul or international long haul flights for the new expansion?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

LN-MOW

RE: DL To Announce More JFK Service; Improving Rev

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Could it be plans for using the ETOPS certified ex-AA 757's...??

[Edited 2006-06-16 16:00:50]
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

LawnDart

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting GoBlue (Reply 1):
Here's hoping that they announce some decent services from JFK,

B6 announces E190 flights to BNA and IAD and it's the second coming...

DL announces services from JFK to Budapest, Dublin/Shannon, Kiev, Manchester, and Sao Paulo, on top of the international services they already have, and you hope for something decent?!? Sheesh...some people are hard to please!

Kind of tough to fly an RJ to Europe, S.A., or the Carribbean

Yeah, but perfect for services back to the place of their manufacture.  Smile

DAL767400ER

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:02 pm

But well within reach of 738s, 757s, or even the non-ER 763s  Wink .
Perhaps some more Canadian destinations might be on the books as well, e.g. YHZ, YVR, or YYC. Will certainly be interesting to see what routes will come of this.

jetbluefan1

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:13 pm

It looks like DL already has a lot of announced routes. Shouldn't they let those services start before going forward. And, more importantly, where else is there to fly out of JFK? I doubt service to DFW, DEN, PHX, etc. would work. They've tried it in the past and it has failed to work.

JetBluefan1

Ih8b6

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:14 pm

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 6):
B6 announces E190 flights to BNA and IAD and it's the second coming...DL announces services from JFK to Budapest, Dublin/Shannon, Kiev, Manchester, and Sao Paulo, on top of the international services they already have, and you hope for something decent?!? Sheesh...some people are hard to please!

Of course it is because B6 is the bestest airline in the whole world. I wet my pants everytime Neelman farts and I am always so excited when they announce a new destination. I didn't leave the house or eat the other day when they said they were selling planes...it was sad.
:-(

Welcome to my resepected users list LawnDart!

[Edited 2006-06-16 16:16:05]
Over-moderation sucks

panamair

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 7):
Will certainly be interesting to see what routes will come of this.

The article mentioned new services starting in the fall/winter so I would hazard a guess that the focus will be on Latin America/Carribbean and other warm-weather destinations/services. The only TATL fathomable would be JFK-TLV with the 763ER...unless they plan on exploring Africa further...

MalpensaSFO

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 4):
Are we talking domestic short haul or international long haul flights for the new expansion?

Per an unamed Delta Airlines Sales Rep -

Domestic

SMF (738)- Originally announced in 2002: B6 Route

ONT (738): B6 Route

SJC (738): B6 Route

PDX (738): B6 Route
*Previously flown by Delta Airlines*

PHX (738): B6 Route

SRQ (M88): B6 Route
*Weekends Only*

DEN (E70): B6 Route

AUS (E70): B6 Route

BGR (DH8)

BHM (CRJ)

JAN (CRJ)

MSY (CRJ): B6 Route

MCI (CRJ)

HNL (764)

International

YVR (738): AC, CX, HQ Route

AUA (738): AA Route
*Weekends Only*

POS (738): BW Route
*Weekends Only*

CUR (738)
*Weekends Only*

BGI (757): AA/BW Route
*Weekends Only*

LGW (763)

GLA (763)

VIE (763): OS Route

LIM (757): LA Route

PEK(772): CA Route
*The JFK build up will greatly help the application this time around*
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

TL8490

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Many of the domestic routes that did not work before may work much better now because even Delta is starting to refer to JFK as a hub. You can now fly from Buffalo to JFK and catch a connection to the West Coast...That did not exist until June 8th. Of course that is in addition to catching International Flights....

jetbluefan1

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 11):
SRQ (M88): B6 Route
*Weekends Only*

Not a B6 route (yet). Maybe you're thinking of JAX?

Anyway, if those routes are what are going to be announced (and it looks very likely), this should pose a very interesting war between DL and B6.

DL has flown JFK-PDX, PHX and DEN in the past - before B6 destroyed the yields. I don't see how it's going to work this time. Also, JFK-ONT is a very thin route. AA tried it out once but only stayed for like 3 months. This isn't even that great of a performer for B6, so I don't see how it's going to be able to support 2 airlines.

I think MSY was announced in 2001 but was quickly cancelled right after 9/11.

*Weekends Only*

I think AUA is already flown on Saturdays (with Song metal).

Anyway, this will be interesting. I certainly give DL credit for showing that it is committed to its JFK operations. Service has always been a bit unstable in the past, but hopefully DL can make it work this time.

JetBluefan1

Alitalia744

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 13):
DL has flown JFK-PDX, PHX and DEN in the past - before B6 destroyed the yields. I don't see how it's going to work this time. Also, JFK-ONT is a very thin route. AA tried it out once but only stayed for like 3 months. This isn't even that great of a performer for B6, so I don't see how it's going to be able to support 2 airlines.

As for B6 destroying the yields, other airlines are able to make $ off the routes and remember, DL isn't the same DL they were pre-bankruptcy.

It will be interesting none the less.

Either way, you have to give credit to Delta for re-committment to the huge O&D market that is NYC (JFK).

Ih8b6

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:48 pm

Anyway, if those routes are what are going to be announced (and it looks very likely), this should pose a very interesting war between DL and B6.

DL has flown JFK-PDX, PHX and DEN in the past - before B6 destroyed the yields. I don't see how it's going to work this time.

I'll tell you how it's going to work: JetPoo destroyed the yields back when they could. Now that payroll and fuel has gone up, they too have had to raise prices, while complaining "if eveyone would raise their prices it would be easier for us to do so." Screw that, JetPoo is part of the reason fares are so depressed and airlines are/were flying people coast-to-coast for less than they could drive a freakin' car!

Now, DL can destroy JetPoo's yield and let B6 taste some of that medicine…..yummy….mmmm good. I hope it's tastes good going down because it's no fun when it's coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hissyfit 
Over-moderation sucks

panamair

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:49 pm

PEK(772): CA Route
*The JFK build up will greatly help the application this time around*

How's this even possible? Are they going to give up pursuing ATL-PEK as a first priority? If not, JFK-China will have to wait, and wait, etc.

Alitalia744

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:54 pm

Quoting Panamair (Reply 16):
How's this even possible? Are they going to give up pursuing ATL-PEK as a first priority? If not, JFK-China will have to wait, and wait, etc.

Latest rumors are that the application will be from JFK-CHINA vs. ATL...who knows tho

ERJ170

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:54 pm

Any equipment upgrades gonna happen or just new destinations added? i would be interested to see the final total when this is all over and done with.. shall be interesting...
Aiming High and going far..

AV8AJET

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:56 pm

DL has flown JFK-PDX, PHX and DEN in the past - before B6 destroyed the yields.

DL flew the JFK-PHX-JFK route with 763's then to 752's then eventually disscontinuted it due to competition from AA starting the route also. Then AA dropped the route, then B6 came along quite a bit later. Talking to the DL agents in PHX they said the JFK flight actually performed well with HIGH loads however the yeilds were low so DL axed the route. There was talk of them switching to SONG but it never happened. Maybe now DL could restart this route with the "old" SONG 757's and see what happens? Who knows
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

ArtieFufkin

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:58 pm

Delta at 5% below industry adjusted RASM will have the highest profit margins in the industry. The other legacies are not even in the ballpark when it you look at adjusted CASM.

This May report is really going to be fun.

jetbluefan1

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 14):
Either way, you have to give credit to Delta for re-committment to the huge O&D market that is NYC (JFK).

I did  Wink

I think it's great that more jobs will be created for NY'ers and the state will be taking in more tax money. As someone who lives here, any news of increased business is good news.

Quoting IH8B6 (Reply 15):
Now, DL can destroy JetPoo's yield and let B6 taste some of that medicine…..yummy….mmmm good. I hope it's tastes good going down because it's no fun when it's coming out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While ignoring your immaturity, I will comment that if DL attempts to "destroy" B6's yields, DL will also destroy its own yields in the process. At this point, it's up to all U.S airlines to cooperate (to an extent) in raising average fares and returning the industry to profitability.

I honestly don't think DL is stupid enough to undercut B6's fares.

JetBluefan1

ArtieFufkin

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 21):
DL will also destroy its own yields in the process. At this point, it's up to all U.S airlines to cooperate (to an extent) in raising average fares and returning the industry to profitability.

Domestic routes out of JFK mean the World to Jetblue. For Delta that's really a small part of the pie. They have other hubs, other regions, International service.

If these rumored routes are true. That's going to be a big blow to Jetblue revenue.

FlyPNS1

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:14 am

AUS (E70): B6 Route

DL already flies JFK-AUS.

*Weekends Only*

DL already flies JFK-AUA (saturday only).

panamair

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 am

I honestly don't think DL is stupid enough to undercut B6's fares.

Agreed. DL has been raising fares like nobody's business in the past few months. As the Aviation Daily article pointed out, DL's focus is "revenue, revenue, revenue" at this point.....

UN_B732

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:21 am

I find those rumors interesting, namely JFK-VIE; which I think could work.
Someone needs to tell DL to fly JFK-BEG or JFK-LED  Smile
-Mr. X
What now?

jetbluefan1

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 22):
Domestic routes out of JFK mean the World to Jetblue. For Delta that's really a small part of the pie. They have other hubs, other regions, International service.

That is certainly true. However, B6 is starting to move away from long-haul flying and is adding more short- and long-haul flying, such as JFK-BNA and BOS-PIT. With time, B6 is going to rely less on these transcon routes and will rely more on their E190 routes. However, you still have a point.

Nevertheless, it still would not make sense for DL to deliberately start unprofitable routes, especially now as it is working its way out of bankruptcy. One would think that as all airlines have now (hopefully) learned, profits are more important than market share.

JetBluefan1

dartland

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 22):
If these rumored routes are true. That's going to be a big blow to Jetblue revenue.

Actually, maybe not. Methinks that B6's sudden turn from profitability is a HUGE boon for DL, as B6 had to raise fares, and suddenly DL can compete! BUT, that isn't bad for B6 either, as neither of them can afford low fares, so both of them can fly to more places and both of them can make money!

Now the only the only questions are if there are enough people to fill these planes at high enough fares to churn a profit, and will either B6 or DL do somethind stupid like start a fare war that will in the end kill them both!

Also -- methinks DL is only half competing with B6. B6 relies on entirely O&D traffic (or traffic from its domestic connecting network), while DL offers connecting power to Europe. DL is probably doing the analysis to determine that there is enough of a combination of O&D and connecting passengers to make a profit, even if B6 (or whoever else) keeps a dominant share of domestic market share.

ArtieFufkin

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:34 am

But Dartland these Jetblue Transcon markets have been just marginal for them. In most cases they were the sole carrier on the route. Now Delta adds a 150 seats, which may get 25% filled with International connections. I don't see anybody making any money here.

panamair

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting Dartland (Reply 27):
while DL offers connecting power to Europe

It's not just to Europe, but with the overall expansion, there are many domestic connections that are now enabled through JFK - e.g., from BUF to SAN or PVD to SFO or ALB to FLL; JFK is now another option for DL pax. besides CVG, ATL, and SLC. And JFK, aside from the afternoon to evening rush hour, is remarkably underutilized during other times; it would be a less-delay prone connecting point at certain times of day.

Ih8b6

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:37 am

While ignoring your immaturity, I will comment that if DL attempts to "destroy" B6's yields, DL will also destroy its own yields in the process. At this point, it's up to all U.S airlines to cooperate (to an extent) in raising average fares and returning the industry to profitability.

No immaturity my friend, just loathing.
Of course it's up to airlines to cooperate....to charge what it costs to do business. It too bad JetBlue (better for you?) didn't have the philosphy for the past few years. Screw 'em.
Over-moderation sucks

FlyPNS1

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 28):
But Dartland these Jetblue Transcon markets have been just marginal for them.

The key phrase is "have been" as you are talking about the past. With fares rising quite rapidly, it is possible that some of these routes are now or will be profitable.

I don't see anybody making any money here.

Then why is Delta adding service? DL isn't going to drive B6 out of business, so what's the point in adding tons of money losing transcons?

ArtieFufkin

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:44 am

It's not just Jetblue that has to worry here. CO Executives are starting to bitch and moan about Delta's expansion. Listen to a CO investor presentation. They all have this "concern" about Delta at JFK. They offer advice. (you know, advice to "help" Delta) That's the first sign somone's ox is about to be gored.

DAL767400ER

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 25):
Someone needs to tell DL to fly JFK-BEG or JFK-LED

While they were not under the rumored routes, I could see LED working, as it would fit in along with DL's Eastern Europe focus, evidenced by JFK-KPB/BUD. BEG, not too sure about that, would probably be 3x weekly at most.

DEN (E70): B6 Route

The E70 might finally be the appropriate plane to make this route work, or perhaps even an E90 sometime in the future.

HNL (764)

Has long been rumored, so it wouldn't surprise me.

MSY (CRJ): B6 Route

BHM (CRJ)

JAN (CRJ)

All Southeast destinations, where DL still has a stronghold.

POS (738): BW Route
*Weekends Only*

CUR (738)
*Weekends Only*

BGI (757): AA/BW Route

All already served from ATL, so that means less starting costs, and doesn't require much resources fleet-wise either.

LIM (757): LA Route

Might be a candidate for 763ERs during winter when Europe is being reduced.

VIE (763): OS Route
*Previously flown by Delta Airlines

Personally, I see this starting from ATL first.

YVR (738): AC, CX, HQ Route

Would fit in with the other upgrades to YVR (bigger planes to ATL and SLC, new service to CVG).

FlyPNS1

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 32):
CO Executives are starting to bitch and moan about Delta's expansion. Listen to a CO investor presentation. They all have this "concern" about Delta at JFK.

I can't blame them. Having DL dump a ton of capacity and trash yields isn't helpful.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 33):
All Southeast destinations, where DL still has a stronghold

True, but DL has struggled with RJ's from JFK to the Southeast....see: JFK-PNS, JFK-TLH, JFK-JAX, JFK-CLT, JFK-GSO, JFK-SAV, JFK-MLB, JFK-CHS.

All already served from ATL, so that means less starting costs, and doesn't require much resources fleet-wise either.

Neither CUR or POS are served from ATL. DL tried ATL-CUR a few years ago, but it didn't work out.

Would fit in with the other upgrades to YVR (bigger planes to ATL and SLC, new service to CVG).

I haven't seen CVG-YVR announced.

JGPH1A

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:02 am

Hidden amongst that long list of routes is an interesting one = JFK-LGW. A foray into NYC-LON - has DL done this route before ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MalpensaSFO

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 23):
DL already flies JFK-AUS

My error the route was actually SAT..
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

panamair

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 35):
Hidden amongst that long list of routes is an interesting one = JFK-LGW. A foray into NYC-LON - has DL done this route before ?

No, just BOS-LGW with the 763ER.

MSYtristar

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:04 am

All Southeast destinations, where DL still has a stronghold.

Well, DL has dropped to #4 in market share in MSY, behind WN, CO, and AA. DL used to be a solid #2 (at worst #3) before Katrina, but due to massive capacity cuts thanks to increased RJ flying, they have lost a good deal of passengers.

Still, it's always nice to see new service, and with B6 only running two flights a day now, I think DL could easily fill an RJ from MSY to JFK.

MalpensaSFO

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 38):
Still, it's always nice to see new service, and with B6 only running two flights a day now, I think DL could easily fill an RJ from MSY to JFK.

Ah the good old days with:

767 MSY-LAS
752 MSY-DFW
752 MSY-LAX
767 MSY-ATL
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

DAL767400ER

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 39):
Ah the good old days with:

767 MSY-LAS
752 MSY-DFW
752 MSY-LAX
767 MSY-ATL

Add 767 MSY-SLC to that.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 36):
My error the route was actually SAT..

Which DL already operated not too long ago with E70s, but discontinued it for whatever reasons.

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 34):
Neither CUR or POS are served from ATL

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 34):
I haven't seen CVG-YVR announced.

Hm, could have sworn that I've read PRs about CVG-YVR and ATL-CUR, must've confused them with some other routes.

RL757PVD

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:37 am

CO Executives are starting to bitch and moan about Delta's expansion.

Well for years, EWR was the most conventient airport to Manhattan, but now that JFK has the air train to the LIRR, its equally as convenient as EWR. Back when EWR was easier to get to, people may have tolerated the EWR delays more, but now with less delay prone JFK being just as accessible from the city, I can see why CO is concerned.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

ArtieFufkin

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:46 am

I think CO is more concerned that they will not be the exclusive 1 stop connecting service to a slew of European destinations. ROC/SYR/CMH etc. All these secondary markets can go via JFK now (on one airline) rather than EWR. As far as local NYC demand, EWR and JFK get what they get mostly based on what airport is easiest to get to.

RL757PVD

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 42):
EWR and JFK get what they get mostly based on what airport is easiest to get to

Thats my point, up until a few years ago, for Manhattan, it was EWR, now JFK is just as accessible with less delays,and has rapidly improving service (Domestic and INTL).
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

toltommy

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:52 am

I heard Bombardier was about to annouce that they perfected drop tanks for the CRJ....  bigthumbsup 

Alitalia744

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:02 am

with these additional potential destinations, anyone know what the full list from JFK looks like now?

tsnamm

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 43):
now JFK is just as accessible with less delays,and has rapidly improving service (Domestic and INTL).

Plus 5 million+ people in Brooklyn,queens and Nassau County...

MalpensaSFO

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 42):
I think CO is more concerned that they will not be the exclusive 1 stop connecting service to a slew of European destinations. ROC/SYR/CMH etc. All these secondary markets can go via JFK now (on one airline) rather than EWR. As far as local NYC demand, EWR and JFK get what they get mostly based on what airport is easiest to get to.

Oh Dear... All of the people in New Jersey will be ranting and raving to this one about Newark being the only international airport in the area to have domestic and international connections... I can hear the New Jersey fans now....

A key selling point of Delta Airlines is the equipment (widebodies), enriched Business Class service, increase in connection options, and numerous connection possibilities at JFK a Sky Team hub.

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 41):
Well for years, EWR was the most conventient airport to Manhattan, but now that JFK has the air train to the LIRR, its equally as convenient as EWR

Wait and see, someone from the New Jersey side is bound to say how wonderful Air Train is and that everyone in Lower NYC only uses Newark...
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

incitatus

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting IH8B6 (Reply 15):

Dear I-hate-Jet-Blue:
I admit enjoying your bluntness. This forum has grown too sanitized. The trouble for Delta is that destroying JetBlue's yields does not make Delta any richer or more profitable.
Stop pop up ads

dartland

Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 31):
But Dartland these Jetblue Transcon markets have been just marginal for them.

The key phrase is "have been" as you are talking about the past. With fares rising quite rapidly, it is possible that some of these routes are now or will be profitable.

Exactly. That's what I mean, Artie -- I think fares have gone up for both so there is room for both to make money. I don't think DL plans to destroy B6, only take some of the market, and connect a lot of them to Europe (more than 25%, would be my guess).

It's not just Jetblue that has to worry here. CO Executives are starting to bitch and moan about Delta's expansion.

Ahh, yes. Couldn't agree more. CO is really the one that's being threatened here.

Here's the question: Does this process speed up or slow down a possible CO or DL merger? On one hand, it makes DL a much more attractive canidate for a merger. On the other hand, it makes CO much more likely to want to merge with someone else. My thoughts are that this will, in part, push the UA/CO deal, as CO will suddenly want the bigger west coast and Asia markets as DL encroaches on one of their hubs.

Also -- one last point -- I don't have the figures, but my understanding is that DL has at least as large a FF base in NY-metro compared with CO. Yes, NJ is dominated by CO -- but DL is VERY strong in other areas (in part because of the Amex co-brand, and you know how New Yorkers love their Amex cards!)