ContinentalGuy
Topic Author

Lights Out Flight

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:36 am

I was recently on Delta Airlines flight 12 from Atlanta-London on a 777-200. About three hours into the flight the lights started to flicker and kept going on and off for 20 minutes. The plane eventually went back to normal. It was very frightening for the time though. I was wondering if this has ever happened to anybody else.

Daleaholic

RE: Lights Out Flight

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:09 am

Luckily I've never had this experience but I can only think it was a problem with the APU. Somebody with better knowledge of the 777 would know, or perhaps this might be better in Tech/ops?
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Newark777

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 1):
Luckily I've never had this experience but I can only think it was a problem with the APU.

Hopefully they aren't relying on the APU for power three hours into the flight.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

iclcy

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:34 am

1st post so forgive me!

I experienced this on Phuket Airways LGW - BKK v.v on I think a 747-200(this was in 04 way before I knew A.net existed) those old birds had what I called the 'disco effect' every slight bump & all the lights would flicker in a pretty patten sometimes starting from the front sometimes from the back. Every light from the F/A call light, the reading light & the general cabins lights would flicker even if they were on or off in a random pattern sometimes the whole cabin would go dark with just the F/A call lights twinkling up & down the cabin in a random but quite eye pleasing sequence then it would be the reading lights & sometimes the cabin lights would start their show.

I'm quite glad they dont fly anymore after my last trip with them BKK-LGW in Sept 04 when we took off in to the mother of all thunder storms. I've never been on a flight where the engines struggled soo much & I had to hold the F/A(trainee's) hand as she sobed while we shook rattled n rolled our way over north Thailand!

Daleaholic

Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 2):
Hopefully they aren't relying on the APU for power three hours into the flight.

Kind of shows my lack of knowledge, well at least i've learnt something new  Smile
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

debonair

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting IcLCY (Reply 3):
I'm quite glad they dont fly anymore after my last trip with them

well, you would like to have another ride?? One of Phukets B747 is back flying...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Poowin Bunyavejchewin

HAWK21M

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:18 am

Could it be Load Shedding of the Utility & Galley Busses.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

N353SK

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:45 am

Don't be frightened if that happens next time. I have a feeling the only reason you were scared was because in every movie where a plane crashes the lights flicker first.

emalad

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:46 am

I had this happen to me once on an Airtours DC10 from Tenerife. There were storms over the UK so we went up to Dublin, over to Liverpool, circled the Trafford Centre a few times and had a very low landing into Manchester. It was very wet and very windy and then all the lights began to flicker on and off. There were plenty of worried passengers on the place. At the same time the pilots were struggling to keep it in a stright line.

Was probably one of the scariest landings I have ever had!

(On the positive side, we did overtake a JMC 757 on the way back, was certainly a sight!!!!)

bongo

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting ContinentalGuy (Thread starter):
flicker and kept going on and off for 20 minutes. The plane eventually went back to normal. It was very frightening for the time though

As long as it's not the engines...
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!