CPHGuard
Topic Author

Can They Really Do This, switch flights?

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:47 am

Hi all.

In another thread, i asked about which equipment SAS would be using on my flights next week.

Some of the great guys in here, found out that it would be Air Baltic from CPH-VNO with a 737-500

They also found out, that it would be a Moldavian Airlines Fokker-100 on the return flight.

So my question is:

I bought a ticket on the SAS website, and suddenly i'm flying Moldavian Airlines.

I consider Moldavia Airlines to be a somewhat 2nd rank carrier, that i don't really want to fly.

Do you guys think it is ok, that i buy a SAS ticket, and end up on a Moldavian airlines flight ??

Best regards
Thomas

ehho

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:52 am

What could be wrong with Moldavian? They fly modern western equipment, and if they codeshare with SK, you can be pretty sure they're a-ok.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:55 am

It's absolutely OK - somewhere on the website, during the booking process, there'll have been a message telling you that you're flying on Moldavian (airlines and travel agencies both are required to inform passengers about the airline actually operating the flight, should it not be the carrier under who's code the flight is operated).

I'm afraid that you probably missed that piece of information being displayed.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:55 am

Hi EHHO

They don't codeshare with SK. Air Baltic are the ones that codeshare with SK, but they seem to lack some equipment, so they probably charetered an aircraft from Moldavian.

Moldavian is not an Star Alliance member.

Maybe Moldavian are fine, but still i find it a little odd, that i buy a ticket from SAS, and end up with an (to me) 2nd rank carrier.

To Frank:

The ticket says clearly, that the flight is operated by Air Baltic. I talked to an SAS sales representative, that denied it would be operated my Moldavian, cause his computer said Air Baltic just like my ticket. But then i talked to someone else within SAS, that confirmed it would be Moldavian Airlines.

Regards
Thomas

[Edited 2006-06-17 17:57:59]

ehho

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 3):
Air Baltic are the ones that codeshare with SK, but they seem to lack some equipment, so they probably charetered an aircraft from Moldavian

Is it only the aircraft they chartered? Or the entire service? Shouldn't be a problem if it's basically an Air Baltic operation on a leased Fokker 100.
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 4):
Is it only the aircraft they chartered? Or the entire service? Shouldn't be a problem if it's basically an Air Baltic operation on a leased Fokker 100.

I really wouldnt know for sure. But it happens very rarely, and the SAS representative told me, that it would be Moldavian operating for Air Baltic.

So i guess it's an Moldavian aircraft, and an Moldavian crew.

They are probably safe enough, but would you be satisfied if you booked a ticket with KLM, and suddenly you found yourself onboard Air Afrique ?

Best regards
Thomas

macc

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:14 am

why dont you just enjoy?
i guess you had enough flights on SAS already, so that gives you two other airlines you can try out. and I guess not many in here have been on flights of moldavian.

so, stop whining - take a camera and do a trip report for us Big grin
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting Macc (Reply 6):
so, stop whining - take a camera and do a trip report for us

Hehe....

Maybe youre right....

But still they should have informed me...

Regards
Thomas

ehho

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 5):
if you booked a ticket with KLM, and suddenly you found yourself onboard Air Afrique

Anytime! I've flown KL a zillion times, against 0 on Air Afrique. Cheers to our friend Macc, just be happy to fly something exotic. Moldavia is Europe by the way, and abide by European regulations.

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 8):
Anytime! I've flown KL a zillion times, against 0 on Air Afrique.

... and with Air Afrique having gone bankrupt a few years ago, you, unfortunately, will not be able to fly them in the future...  Wink Big grin

I'm still somewhat surprised that the operating carrier isn't listed on Scandinavian's website (I took a look after I wrote my first post on this thread); when I was still selling flights, it was an absolute given for me that I'd always, absolutely always, inform my clients about what carrier really operated their flights... and I'm rather certain that this is also an EU regulation... or is that just a German thing?

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Thread starter):
Do you guys think it is ok, that i buy a SAS ticket, and end up on a Moldavian airlines flight ??

Carriers are required by law to notify passengers if their flight is to be operated by a carrier other than the one on the ticket - this applies to franchise, codeshare and wet-lease flights. I think there are exceptions for short-term, one-off wet-leases where the aircraft is changed at short notice for operational reasons.

Short answer - yes they probably can. Well, they just did, didn't they ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Cadet57

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:50 am

They are probably safe enough, but would you be satisfied if you booked a ticket with KLM, and suddenly you found yourself onboard Air Afrique ?

If I got to my destination, yes I would be. And you should too

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 7):

You are here complaining, are you not?

bought a ticket on the SAS website, and suddenly i'm flying Moldavian Airlines.

I consider Moldavia Airlines to be a somewhat 2nd rank carrier, that i don't really want to fly.

2nd rank? Boo Hoo its an aircraft sub. Do you think SAS, a popular, well traveled Star Aliance airline would contract out something that was anything less then 100% safe for their paying customers? I thought not. The fact tehy did this shows they would rather take you to your destination then cancel your flight. I would be happy SAS took the time to do this.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 7):
Quoting Macc (Reply 6):
so, stop whining - take a camera and do a trip report for us

Hehe....

Maybe youre right....

Regards
Thomas

They did. You're flying sub aircraft, that's all. They don't have to tell you so.

Quoting Leskova (Reply 9):
and I'm rather certain that this is also an EU regulation... or is that just a German thing?

Must be. I don't know for sure if SN flight won't be operated by another plane at last minute.. Have you ever sell charters?

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
2nd rank? Boo Hoo its an aircraft sub

checkmark 

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:10 am

Well ok...

Maybe it's just me (it seems like it, with the replyes i've got)  

Do you think SAS, a popular, well traveled Star Aliance airline would contract out something that was anything less then 100% safe for their paying customers?

The thing here is, that SAS (the Star member) has the flight codeshared with Air Baltic (who is not a Star member, but is partially owned by SAS).
Air Baltic has then wetleased that peticular flight to Moldavian Airlines.

I can't really be sure if Moldavian is a 2nd rank carrier, but i always fly with the big carriers, because i beleive their maintenance and pilot-training is at a very high level.
And thats why i was somewhat surprised, that i bought a ticket with SAS logo's on, and ended up on Moldavian Airlines.

But i'll take my chances, and write you a trip report (that is, if i survive ofcourse)..

Best regards
Thomas

[Edited 2006-06-17 20:13:00]

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:11 am

Do you think SAS, a popular, well traveled Star Aliance airline would contract out something that was anything less then 100% safe for their paying customers? I thought not. The fact tehy did this shows they would rather take you to your destination then cancel your flight. I would be happy SAS took the time to do this.

Go SAS!!

Regards,
LO231

jetdeltamsy

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:15 am

An airline ticket guarantees ONLY the price. Which carrier, what day, the routing, the aircraft, the times...EVERYTHING is ultimately at the discretion of the carrier that issued the ticket. And I mean every single detail except for price.

Generally an airline will refund a non-refundable ticket if the dates change, but that is part of their customer service plan, not part of the contract of carriage. As for your flight being operated by another carrier, that too is completely at the discretion of SAS.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 15):
As for your flight being operated by another carrier, that too is completely at the discretion of SAS.

I didnt know that. Thanks for informing me.

Regards
Thomas

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:22 am

Generally an airline will refund a non-refundable ticket if the dates change, but that is part of their customer service plan, not part of the contract of carriage. As for your flight being operated by another carrier, that too is completely at the discretion of SAS.

checkmark 

As long as you have SK-flight number, you're with them in terms of carriage, but if Air Afrique brings you from CPH to ARN, that's a different thing.

Regards,
LO231

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 12):
Must be. I don't know for sure if SN flight won't be operated by another plane at last minute.. Have you ever sell charters?

See JGPH1A's reply - seems it's not a German thing after all; as far as I know, though, this only applies to scheduled flights, not charters...

Regarding charters, back when I had my own travel agency, I did sell charters... well... the typical "scheduled charters"; all, with just one exception, were operated by the airline I had booked for my clients (once, FTI flew clients that were supposed to fly on FlyFTI on a Lauda Air plane). All other charters that I sold were part of packages and, even in those cases, the operating carriers were already part of the contract - the respective tour operator had to inform us (and we the clients) of any change regarding the operating carrier... and they did just that (and believe me, my clients would have told me if they had suddenly had to board a plane of a different airline... Germans are, to use a friendly term, rather strict about things like that).

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
Carriers are required by law to notify passengers if their flight is to be operated by a carrier other than the one on the ticket - this applies to franchise, codeshare and wet-lease flights.

Thank you for confirming that - since I don't remember, do you know? Is that an EU regulation?

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 18):
Regarding charters, back when I had my own travel agency, I did sell charters...

Well, 2 years ago I could put fake tkt numbers in the file to keep the booking for the customer... Your point is?? Times change.

DRAMATICALLY

Regards,
LO231

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 19):
Your point is?? Times change.

Not sure what you're complaining about - you asked a question, I answered.  Yeah sure

And, yes, times do change - for a long time, back-to-back ticketing was absolutely no problem, because there was no way for airlines to track it... there is now, and it's only a matter of time before agencies do start getting into trouble because of it.

And, by the way, yes, times do change: for a long time, airlines did not have to inform their customers on what airline they'd actually be travelling... but that's changed...  Yeah sure

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 20):
And, yes, times do change - for a long time, back-to-back ticketing was absolutely no problem, because there was no way for airlines to track it... there is now, and it's only a matter of time before agencies do start getting into trouble because of it.

They could track it 4 years ago, and still, no ADM.

They do it themselves.

Call Delta and ask if you can book 2 tickets with Sat night stay. See what they say.

Regards,
LO231

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:51 am

What's wrong with RK I have flown them in thea past and felt thier service was up to par with any other airline. THey are not around now but if they were and I were going to Ghana and the fare was good I would be on them now.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 20):
And, by the way, yes, times do change: for a long time, airlines did not have to inform their customers on what airline they'd actually be travelling... but that's changed...

Yes, on the itinerary. I sell BRU-ZRH-DEL/BOM-ZRH-BRU. Passenger wants Swiss because of the FF. Only at the last stage he finds out he flies with AC. Does he mind? No. He has his LX miles.

It's not the airline that has to informed the customer, it's the selling person, as myself that has to do it. And everybody does, unless you want to book through internet an don't read small prints....

Regards,
LO231

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 22):
What's wrong with RK I have flown them in thea past and felt thier service was up to par with any other airline. THey are not around now but if they were and I were going to Ghana and the fare was good I would be on them now.

Nothing wrong with them. I just used them as an example. Nothing else  Smile

Regards
Thomas

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:14 am

this only applies to scheduled flights, not charters...

I think the rule applies to charters now as well, at least it does in France after a series of incidents with Egyptian and Tunisian charter carriers - the travel agent has to name the carrier at time of booking, and tell the passenger if it changes.

Is that an EU regulation?

Yes it is. For GDS's, mandatory disclosure is part of the EU Code of Conduct - I think the Travel Agent rule is part of consumer protection rules.

Quoting LO231 (Reply 23):
He has his LX miles.

Eventually  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):
the travel agent has to name the carrier at time of booking,

At the time of booking, we don't know the operating carrier, I'm afraid... Pretty tough, hey?

Besides, the departure and arrival are counted as travelling days so we don't even have to say the timings of the flights until like 2 weeks before the holiday...

Makes us look like proffesionals..

I hate charters, we're happy to be 90% business travel agency...

Regards,
LO231

[Edited 2006-06-17 21:22:52]

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 26):
At the time of booking, we don't know the operating carrier, I'm afraid... Pretty tough, hey?

The rule in France is that the carrier has to be named at time of booking. It's a new rule, came in this year. Tour operators have to provide the information, and keep it up to date. Don't know how they do it, but it's the law.

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 27):
The rule in France is that the carrier has to be named at time of booking. It's a new rule, came in this year. Tour operators have to provide the information, and keep it up to date. Don't know how they do it, but it's the law.

Yes, so TUI will provide the name Jetairfly.com and the passengers to Turkey will fly with Corendon. But the change will be mentioned 2 weeks before departure.

All within the law, except we have to call customers, not the airline nor the tour operator.

Regards,
LO231

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 25):
Is that an EU regulation?

Yes it is. For GDS's, mandatory disclosure is part of the EU Code of Conduct - I think the Travel Agent rule is part of consumer protection rules.

Looks kind of strange in one of your competitor's systems...  Wink

1 SK9674Y 20JUN 2 VNOCPH SS1 1250 1330 /DCSK /E
OPERATED BY 2M FOR BT

But, hey, it gives you all the info you need.  Smile

So the only question that remains is - don't airlines have to inform the customers as well? As LO231 rightly points out, the person doing the selling must inform the person booking the flight; but what if the selling is done by a website?

Quoting LO231 (Reply 21):
They do it themselves.

Call Delta and ask if you can book 2 tickets with Sat night stay. See what they say.

You know, in the end we actually have the same opinion - the difference is only a matter of it being skewed by somewhat different viewpoints; since I've not been in sales for the past two years and, for the last 8 months haven't even been in ticketing, I might have somewhat lost the insight into some of the issues...

And I certainly know that back-to-back ticketing isn't the only issue when airlines (on occasion) don't follow their own rules; I know enough cases when airline employees either allowed rebooking of non-rebookable flights, as well as, unfortunately, enough cases in which clients were told that their flights could not be changed because of the fare's rules and were forced to buy new tickets (only to get them fully refunded later because the airline had to admit that the fare, indeed, was rebookable)...

So, yes, I know very well that under these rules, all are equal... but some are more equal than others...  Wink

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:47 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 29):
since I've not been in sales for the past two years and, for the last 8 months haven't even been in ticketing, I might have somewhat lost the insight into some of the issues...

It gets worse everyday!!! You know we could do much with paper tickets' reissues and such..

In the era of ETKT not much can be done for a pax that for example, was a no-show..

I respect your inputs, Frank, I've learned from you in the past. I'm just a Galileo user, do you have any hints for THAT??  Wink

Regards,
LO231

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:22 am

Just had a look into Galileo and AMadeus as well...

Galileo:
‡N1Y4
1. SK 9674 Y 20JUN VNOCPH HS1 1250 1330 O E
OPERATED BY 2M FOR BT
ARRIVES CPH TERMINAL 3

... displays the info just as Sabre (post #29) does; and Amadeus...

1 SK9674 Y 20JUN 2 VNOCPH HK1 1250 1330 100 E 0 N
OPERATED BY SUBSIDIARY/FRANCHISE
SEE RTSVC

>

... takes a slightly different approach, advising the agent that the flight is not operated by SK. If the agent then calls up the additional infos...

* AMADEUS FLIGHT INFO *
SK9674 Y VNOCPH 100 N 0
COMMERCIAL DUPLICATE - OPERATED BY
2M FOR BT

OPERATIONAL LEG BT 0163
ARRIVES TERMINAL 3
9/ NON-SMOKING

... the infos are there again. The only CRS in which I wasn't able to find the information is Worldspan, though I'm sure it's possible there as well; you can see it's a codeshare, but for some reason I wasn't able to get a FLIFO display for the flight number... but WSP is the only CRS that I've never spent much time on, so I guess I just don't know the right command.

Quoting LO231 (Reply 26):
I hate charters, we're happy to be 90% business travel agency...

I hear you... that's the same view I had back in those days... I loved selling scheduled flights and, strangely enough, train tickets - packages & charters, I hated (and always passed those customers to one of my employees... Big grin)

Quoting LO231 (Reply 28):
All within the law, except we have to call customers, not the airline nor the tour operator.

I especially loved that little tidbit... one client actually once started arguing with me, saying that I had to get him on the flights he had on his confirmation (the one that didn't exist any more) - and he even asked why there were so many flight changes with bookings through my agency, while that never happened with one of the other travel agencies in town...  rotfl 

Quoting LO231 (Reply 30):
It gets worse everyday!!! You know we could do much with paper tickets' reissues and such..

I remember... but I guess that's the airlines' strategy... make things somewhere between difficult and impossible for travel agencies...

I'm just a Galileo user, do you have any hints for THAT??

RUN!!!! Big grin ... just kidding... never really felt much at home in Galileo... now Amadeus and Sabre, that's another subject...

I respect your inputs, Frank, I've learned from you in the past.

Glad to hear that; and, obviously, I have a lot of respect those doing a good job in travel agencies - they're (as was said in another thread just a couple of days ago) worth their weight in gold.

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 31):
Galileo:
‡N1Y4
1. SK 9674 Y 20JUN VNOCPH HS1 1250 1330 O E
OPERATED BY 2M FOR BT
ARRIVES CPH TERMINAL 3

And all some will see, is the SK once the booking has been made...

packages & charters, I hated (and always passed those customers to one of my employees...

I pass it to one of my colleagues who likes to deal with it...  Smile

... never really felt much at home in Galileo..

I'm quite an expert now!

they're (as was said in another thread just a couple of days ago) worth their weight in gold.

Why, thank you!  praise 

Regards,
LO231

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:44 am

Frank,

You could use the RTSVC or (better) the RTSVI (better because I designed it, hehe) - gives full CSH disclosure including flight numbers.

RP/NCE1A0950
FLT/DATE RTNG CKIN TM DEP ARR TM EQP ML DURA DIST

SK9674 Y 20JUN VNOCPH 1250 1330 3 100 N 1:40 505
VNOCPH OPERATED BY 2M FOR BT BT 163

but WSP is the only CRS that I've never spent much time on, so I guess I just don't know the right command.

I think it's just classic PARS, like Sabre ie. 1SK9674/20JUN

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 33):
You could use the RTSVC

I did...  Wink ... what you see in post #31 below the Amadeus sell response is an RTSVC response I copied/pasted in here...

or (better) the RTSVI (better because I designed it, hehe)

... I'll have to take a look at it then - didn't know that command yet.  Smile ... looks a bit like Sabre's VCT*...  duck 

I think it's just classic PARS, like Sabre ie. 1SK9674/20JUN

Close, but not quite: 1 is availability, 2 is FLIFO - but 2SK9674/20JUN only gave me an error message, just like the alternative: @SK@9674/20JUN

Guess there has to be some other way, maybe something like an IBD/IED or VCT*...

JGPH1A

RE: Can They Really Do This?

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 34):
... looks a bit like Sabre's VCT*...

Shut up, shut up - they'll hear you ! It was, shall we say, inspired by a similiar competitor's offer. Ahem. But it's MUCH prettier than theirs, and includes minimum check-in times, and leg-based service and codeshare information.

Quoting Leskova (Reply 34):
Close, but not quite: 1 is availability, 2 is FLIFO

I knew that, I did - but it's been many moons since I used 1P, one forgets.

Leskova

RE: Can They Really Do This, Switch Flights?

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 35):
Shut up, shut up - they'll hear you ! It was, shall we say, inspired by a similiar competitor's offer.

I think I'll try to remember not to mention that to my friends at Sabre... Big grin

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 35):
and includes minimum check-in times

And that alone is one of the reasons why I still think AMA is better for sales than Sabre is... even though it's improved, but it's still, in my opinion, inferior to AMA.

Oh dear... I think we'll have to be careful to not get all this deleted for being off-topic...  Wink

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 36):
And that alone is one of the reasons why I still think AMA is better for sales than Sabre is... even though it's improved, but it's still, in my opinion, inferior to AMA.

Yes well we like to think so too, although we wouldn't stoop to the level of actually saying it  Smile And if we happen to be consuming their midday repast in airline IT as well, of course we wouldn't dream of mentioning that either. Modesty forbids, you understand.

Silly

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 36):
Oh dear... I think we'll have to be careful to not get all this deleted for being off-topic...

Yes, it's forbidden to talk Jibberish here.  grumpy 

Regards,
LO231

bh4007

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:21 am

I have to say that I would be a bit put out if I had chosen a specific airline (i.e not just search for the cheapest ticket) for a specific reason and it turned out to be on a totally different carrier.

IN MY VIEW, I think that if an airline cannot undertake a flight themselves, they should either make it clear that this is the case or just not offer the ticket.

bh4007

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 38):
Yes, it's forbidden to talk Jibberish here.

Oi ! Cultural insensitivity ! I protest.

Actually, if jibberish was forbidden on a.net, 98% of posts would have to be deleted  Smile

Quoting Bh4007 (Reply 39):
I have to say that I would be a bit put out if I had chosen a specific airline (i.e not just search for the cheapest ticket) for a specific reason and it turned out to be on a totally different carrier.

Yes, but spoddy anoraks are a small minority of airline passengers, and the airlines know that the general travelling public couldn't tell an MD80 from a steam-powered dirigible, and really don't care. I too find equipment changes annoying, if I've picked a flight because of the type of plane operating it (which I do as often as I can), but in this case, the chance to fly on Moldavian Airlines, I would jump at it - enormous humour value.

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 40):
Yes, but spoddy anoraks are a small minority of airline passengers, and the airlines know that the general travelling public couldn't tell an MD80 from a steam-powered dirigible, and really don't care. I too find equipment changes annoying, if I've picked a flight because of the type of plane operating it (which I do as often as I can), but in this case, the chance to fly on Moldavian Airlines, I would jump at it - enormous humour value.

checkmark 

I just had this funny conversation with a customer that had "Touristik Airlines" printed all over his documents for a trip to Turkey..

He tried to be a smart ass and tell me that they're not IATA, he wasn't feeling safe with them until I pointed out that Touristik Airlines is a brand name for well known, in Europe at least, Corendon Airlines.

Why the tour operators don't put it on the documents?? Beats me...

Regards,
LO231

JGPH1A

Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 41):
Touristik Airlines is a brand name for well known, in Europe at least, Corendon Airlines.

err, who ? I haven't heard of them - are they German ? I think I'd have felt a bit like your traveller if someone told me I was flying on Corendon Airlines - my first reaction would be "Who the hell are they ?"

Then I'd go on airliners.net and check,then I'd go on the EU airline blacklist and check there... just to be sure.  Smile

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Bh4007 (Reply 39):

I agree with you on this.
Should it however be changed to f.ex. Lufthansa, or BA, i wouldnt mind very much, but a (to me) totally unknown carrier is in my opinion not ok.

I worked in CPH for the last 4 years, and i really think that there is a HUGE difference in quality, from the small "unknown" carriers, to the big national carriers.

On several occasions, aircraft have been grounded, or refused to take onboard pax. This has never happened to the big carriers, only russian carriers, or f.ex. Orient Thai Airlines (Very bad that one by the way)

Regards
Thomas

CPHGuard
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:25 am

BTW.

I just checked Moldavian airlines website.

They operate 4 aircrafts

1 Sabb 340B
2 Saab 2000
1 Fokker 100

So i'll be flying on their only jet  Wow!

Regards
Thomas

ORDagent

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:29 am

Glad to hear that; and, obviously, I have a lot of respect those doing a good job in travel agencies - they're (as was said in another thread just a couple of days ago) worth their weight in gold.

Thanks for the goodness! This (very) poor travel agent thanks you!

As far as the CRS go they all suck in some way or another! forced pricing in sabre (phase 4) is a pain! Apollo can't price for dip. The one thing they are good for is charging more and more per hit!

Leskova

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 44):
So i'll be flying on their only jet

... and here she is...  Wink

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Florian Kondziela

Quoting ORDagent (Reply 45):
forced pricing in sabre (phase 4) is a pain!

We just got ATSE/Sabre Air (the new pricing system) about two weeks ago - caused me a couple of headaches because it kept killing our automation with its lousy response times during the first 48 hours... but they've got the whole thing a bit more under control now (though there still are a couple of things that need to be fixed ASAP!).

LO231

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 42):
err, who ? I haven't heard of them - are they German ? I think I'd have felt a bit like your traveller if someone told me I was flying on Corendon Airlines - my first reaction would be "Who the hell are they ?"

Then I'd go on airliners.net and check,then I'd go on the EU airline blacklist and check there... just to be sure.

Well, that's what I did. I didn't find pitures of touristik on A.net, googled it, and it cam up with Corendon, which I knew. They operate many charters from Belgium, Holland, Switzerland...

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 43):
I worked in CPH for the last 4 years, and i really think that there is a HUGE difference in quality, from the small "unknown" carriers, to the big national carriers.

Yes, I just flew SAS from the CPH meet, quality is there. Muchas EUROs for stupid sandwich and a drink.... Well known big national carrier got me there. By the balls.

Regards,
LO231

OV735

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting CPHGuard (Reply 43):

No need to worry. I believe their aircraft usually land intact, and I'm sure their onboard menu does not include fried cockroaches or pig food.

IIRC, from an Airliner World article a year or two back I read that Moldavian Airlines is closely related to Carpatair, which is a Romanian carrier operating an extensive network over Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, and the Central/Western/Southern Europe with Saabs and Fokkers.

So the facts that they're indeed relatively unknown in Scandinavia, that they're from a post-soviet country or that they only have one jet shouldn't have you worried at all. If my opinion counts - There won't be much of a difference in quality (neither from the service nor safety viewpoints) and I'd fly them anyday without hesitation.

Cheers,
OV735  Smile

jetdeltamsy

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 17):

Quoting LO231 (Reply 17):

As long as you have SK-flight number, you're with them in terms of carriage, but if Air Afrique brings you from CPH to ARN, that's a different thing.

Regards,
LO231

No, an SK flight code is not required. SAS can put you on any carrier of their chosing. Aeroflot, Air Afrique (if they were still around), ANY CARRIER with which they have an interline agreement or they have leased to carry the flight.

This happens much more often in Europe than in the U.S.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.