fspilot747

What Is Emirates Going To Do With 45 A380s?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:12 am

Just wondering. I don't know much about their operations, and 45 seemed like an unbelievable number of A380s for an airline in that region. Somebody please educate me. Are they really that huge of an operation out there in the UAE?

ElGreco

RE: What Is Emirates Going To Do With 45 A380s?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:25 am

I don't know, but they will pay a part of my salary during few years, Thanks for that.

No seriously, even if it's look creasy, they are a very efficient airlines, and they will managed that brand new fleet.

I have meet few times one vice president of Emirates responsible of Cabin, and it's impressive how efficient way of management they have, they just decided and they put enought money, and then no discussion, just action, they are "Yes" or "No" guys, not at all "Yes But Guys".

If EADS and Airbus (especially French part of Airbus) can decided in that way, end of problems.

El Greco
When you are right alone, you are wrong

AerospaceFan

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting ElGreco (Reply 1):
I have meet few times one vice president of Emirates responsible of Cabin, and it's impressive how efficient way of management they have, they just decided and they put enought money, and then no discussion, just action, they are "Yes" or "No" guys, not at all "Yes But Guys".

That works well in the military, but I wonder if it works when you're looking at civilian issues with much larger cognitive variables.

NASA's "only say yes" policy, so to speak, apparently didn't serve it very well regarding the two massive Shuttle disasters of historical record.
What's fair is fair.

Adria

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:41 am

but NASA is a government "company", they cannot get out of business. Emirates can so their decisions are made far more carefully and profit is all that matters

AerospaceFan

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Adria (Reply 3):
but NASA is a government "company", they cannot get out of business. Emirates can so their decisions are made far more carefully and profit is all that matters

I will have to think about that.

I think that management problems are similar all across the board.

It seems to me that there is a "military-oriented" way of thinking on the part of some large aviation-related concerns, including government bureaucracies in that field, but on the other hand, not all government agencies depend on "yes men". The judicial system, for example, values the opinion of laymen (juries), and the independence of its judges except where precedent applies.

Further, within corporations, there are various interests, including, for example, shareholder classes; overall management (the Board of Directors); and everyday management (from the President on down). Sometimes, strategic direction is the product of decisions within management that are controversial. The same may be true by analogy in government, admittedly.

But I think it remains true that a corporate culture in which one faction's beliefs are "yes-menned" because it happens to hold all the cards is one that could -- could -- invite disaster, if minority interests are not sufficiently heard.

[Edited 2006-06-18 23:53:00]
What's fair is fair.

2travel2know

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 am

Isn't EMIRATES trying to catch the pilgrims to Mecca market?
If tenths of millions travel to Mecca every year, EMIRATES flying them there via DXB on A380 may seem logical.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

par13del

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:38 am

How often do pilgrims travel to Mecca per year, that can't be the only reason for the purchase. I do believe this was discussed before, I would have to look in the archives, main thing I remember was some persons saying it was for projected growth as they are attempting to create a mega hub for tourist as well as a transfer point from the Far East to West and vice versa.

An interesting thing now, is with the delays of the A380, how long will it now take for them to get all 45, is it possible for them to be retiring the first when the last is delivered? Additionally, the slower delivery rate could be a blessing in case growth does not occur as planed.

Lumberton

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Thread starter):
Somebody please educate me. Are they really that huge of an operation out there in the UAE?

Speculation as to EK's intentions is one of the favorite guessing games on this, and many other forums. My personal opinion: market domination of South Asia, a significant share in East Asia, total market domination in the Middle East and Africa, and bleeding the major European carriers white. Other than that, I hear they're really nice guys to have a beer with....  Wink
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

Aither

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:56 am

What Cathay a one city based airline was doing with all their aircraft ?

Welcome to the era of megacities.

Dubai is often called the "middle east Hong Kong" and it is getting richer, growing fast, also attracts a lot of tourism and is geographical position is almost perfect.
Never trust the obvious

kaitak744

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:10 am

It is 43 A380s, not 45. Quite a common mistake.

Originally, 41 pax and 2 freighter. Now, they are 43 pax.

NWDC10

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:20 am

We may think an A380 is the right size but when you compete with 777's, it will be harder to fill the A380 and that flight will have to be downgraded. How popular is the 747 now compared to 20 years ago? It's hard to fly a 747 when you compete with 777's. And also remember all the 747's across the Atlantic? Now seems like more and more they are 757's. The A380 may "be the right size for now" but in the future i believe it will just be "too large". Robert NWDC10

Lumberton

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 7):

I'll condense my previous post into one sentence: EK is out for world domination. Simple as that.  duck 
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

MalpensaSFO

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:28 am

DXB-LHR
DXB-LGW
DXB-CDG
DXB-FRA
DXB-ZRH
DXB-SYD
DXB-BKK-HKG
DXB-HKG
DXB-SIN
DXB-CGK
DXB-JFK
DXB-JNB
DXB-BOM
DXB-DEL
DXB-JED
DXB-CAI

et al are all possible suspects...
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

boeingfever777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Thread starter):
What Is Emirates Going To Do With 45 A380s?

Nothing now due to more delays so they will wait longer and plan their world domination.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

lehpron

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 10):
The A380 may "be the right size for now" but in the future i believe it will just be "too large".

You might want to flip that around, those carriers that have revealed their plans for seating do not go to the specification of 555 seats in 3-classes. This plane is designed for thr future, not for now, this isn't a smaller aircraft.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

dl757md

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:42 am

Is EK a stand alone-self supporting corporation or does it have government/oil backing? If the latter is true with today's oil prices they could be buying them just to park them wingtip to wingtip and say "what a cool 2 miles long row of airplanes". Seriously if they have that backing it's easy to be a yes or no manager. There a few if any consequences if you make a mistake. Hence, you don't need to mull over decisions and consider the ramifications of them.
If they are indeed completely self supporting then we'll have to wait and see what they have planned for them.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

dutchjet

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:49 am

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 13):

Nothing now due to more delays so they will wait longer and plan their world domination.

Ouch.

To answer the original post, the key to understanding EK is to think of them as the "world's airline"......connecting cities all over the world via their centrally located Dubai hub. Also look for EK to enter markets where 5th freedom and other such rights are availabe.....JFK-HAM and the Trans-Tasman services are previews of things to come. Thats the plan, lets see if EK can continue to pull it off.

As for the A380s, EK believes that it can run the A380 on any route that can now support the 773.....they expect demand and their market share to grow and therefore they "need" all of those A380s. I think that EK already flies 7 or 8 A330/777 flights per day between London and Dubai, for example, the London route alone may require up to 8 A380s each operating one roundtrip per day on the route.

Will all of this work out? A lot depends upon whether the spectacular growth in Dubai itself continues, and so much depends upon how existing global airlines (think SQ) and new competitors (think Eithad and Qatar) respond. So far, EK has done rather well.......we shall see if the success continues.

atct

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:51 am

What are they gonna dow with em?

Fly them  duck 

(Cant believe im the first to say this).

Anywho I look forward to seeing a fleet that large. Maybe some service to larger US cities? With the growth of the middle east, I could see them coming to the states on some runs.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

NWDC10

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 10):
We may think an A380 is the right size but when you compete with 777's, it will be harder to fill the A380 and that flight will have to be downgraded.

There will probably be competition on their routs with smaller aircraft like 777's and that's why i think the A380 will be too large. Robert NWDC10

star_world

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 17):
With the growth of the middle east, I could see them coming to the states on some runs.

Keep in mind that the Middle East actually isn't all that relevant to EK's plans, except for its location. EK are already turning DXB into a reincarnation of the concept adopted in SIN for many years - a very efficient transit point. The advantage DXB has over SIN is it's geographic position; it's close enough to both Europe and most of the US to 'catch' traffic from that direction and deliver it to virtually anywhere East or South of it. This isn't a future plan for them - they're already doing it now. A380s are just the next phase of this, increasing capacity on the huge trunk routes, many of which MalpensaSFO mentions above. Makes complete sense.

star_world

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:19 am

In fact - to illustrate this in an example, look at routes like GRU-BKK. There probably is some demand for a route like this, but whether a whole aircraft could ever be profitable is very doubtful. But if you route the traffic through DXB, the route is only 400nm longer:

However, that aircraft you're sending all the way out to GRU can now pick up pax who want to go to any of the other sensible destination locations - SIN,HKG,KUL, plus a dozen locations in Eastern Europe. Suddenly the idea of even a larger aircraft on this route starts to make sense. Replicate this process across a whole range of destinations and you have the essence of EK's business model.

lehpron

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 18):
smaller aircraft like 777's

Why does that make me laugh?

But there will always be competition. If I made a plane and the market was for just shy of 400 units and 350 was break-even, I'd be happy. See, if you don't have [high] expectations, then anything out of the ordinary is a plus.  Wink

Variance of aircraft size depends on things like too many people travelling the same route to redistrubuting those people to fly more frequently.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

American777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:59 am

Like I said before in my old "EK Bankruptcy" topic, that how the heck are they going to fill all those 500-800 passenger jets, EK, believe me, is going to later be suffering a lot! They are going to run out of cash! Even KA has already been in problems due to that they ordered the A380 so early, together with other large amount of aircraft. I know you all are gonna say that they know what they are doing, but really trust me, I have heard that before about other airlines and that was NOT TRUE! Those other airlines did the same thing and they went out of business. A new airline ordering a lot of planes at the same time is not just a good way to start. I know EK was found in 1985 but is not that old yet. What I am trying to say is that for example AA ordered a bunch of planes at a same time but they had alredy been in business for a long time and had the exact money they needed. EK by the way is going to make payments at different times to cover their A380 and 777 payments and probably search for money as an emergency.

So lets just see who is right in a few years to come.

Joe.  Wink

American777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Star_world (Reply 23):
Maybe you should write them a letter to tell them this before they make any more mistakes

Please, do not start to act as a smart person trying to correct me!

That is just my personal opinion on the topic and who ever is against it or not understandable with it, I don't care, is just my PERSONAL OPINION!

Joe.  Wink

star_world

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting American777 (Reply 24):
just my PERSONAL OPINION!

ssssh, no need to shout  Wink

And my post was, of course my own personal opinion too. As is the rest of this forum. Being that sensitive whenever someone questions it is hardly very productive.

Reggaebird

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:36 am

Well, last week there were reports that EK was looking into buying BA. Both carriers denied this but that may be EK's strategy. Buy some major European carrier(s) and place the behemoths on the profitable or high-volume routes that the purchased carrier(s) serve. It would also gain Emirates access to countries and routes where it would be seen as a threat. Maybe BA should look into this!!!

I wonder which other airlines would be good candidates? Alitalia? Iberia? Aeroflot?

Reggaebird

American777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting Star_world (Reply 25):
of course my own personal opinion too

Personal opinion mentioning to someone what they shuould do as if they were going to! Why follow the good rules of an IT consultany? Just stupid!

Joe.  Wink

dl021

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:53 am

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky......plan to take over the WORLD!!!"

EK is looking to establish market presence in several areas and they are part of their country's plan to have a steady, commercially viable income producing set of businesses for when the oil runs out. It's diversification, and their plan may actually work if they don't overreach and remember that it's a marathon and not a sprint.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

boeingfever777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Quoting American777 (Reply 22):
my old "EK Bankruptcy" topic,

LOL... What a joke. Thanks for the laugh. You honestly believe what you said?

They are going to run out of cash!

So since your a EK accountant I'm sure you can tell us their income since they are private and you have access to all those numbers?

Even KA has already been in problems due to that they ordered the A380 so early, together with other large amount of aircraft

Since when did Dragonair order the A380?

but really trust me, I have heard that before about other airlines and that was NOT TRUE! Those other airlines did the same thing and they went out of business.

Rubbish... Examples? Please tell us all what carrier has/had anywhere close to EK worth and capital to expend on aircraft?

but is not that old yet.

So how old do they have to be to make a major business descission to advance their fleet and route map? Mr. Clark is no dummy...

So lets just see who is right in a few years to come.

For some reason I doubt it will be you. Before you since the death cert. for EK read this article. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/busin...chive/2005/10/01/8359251/index.htm
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

American777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting BoeingFever777 (Reply 29):
Since when did Dragonair order the A380?

Sorry for that, but I was trying to mention Kingfisher Airlines of India.

Now as I told before to Mr. star_world, it is just MY OPINION, and I could be right or wrong and I will probably be just obviously wrong. The only reason I mention this reply (22) was because I have studied a lot about other airlines going out of business due to ordering many airplanes at once and ending up with no cash in their pockets.

Joe.

NWDC10

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting American777 (Reply 30):
airlines going out of business due to ordering many airplanes at once and ending up with no cash in their pockets.

Can anyone say "PeopleExpress"? Robert NWDC10

American777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:06 pm

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 31):
Can anyone say "PeopleExpress"?

What do you mean?

ptharris

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I have much faith that I will be corrected quickly if I am, but I heard once that UAE ticket prices are very very affordable. It makes sense since, as an example, we pay roughly $3.00/gal for gasoline for autos in the States and the middle east countries are paying $.25/gallon and that's after an increase. I'd imagine that jet fuel is much cheaper as well thus making the aircraft extremely cheap, regardless of size, to operate other than maintenance needs.

That make sense? I feel that middle eastern countries have large load factors and usually fly longer distances then most of us are used to. Having an airframe like the A380 would be ideal for routes that need to fulfill large demand. I don't see UAE dropping the use of the 777 though. On long range medium to high density routes that aren't as popular as an exclusive high density route using an A380, one might say they'd use a 773.

That's at least the way I look at it. BTW, if anyone thinks that UAE will go bankrupt sometime within this millenium, should remind themselves where their financial backing comes from and where that backer gets their financial solvancy from as well. They have a well of money no matter how broke people seem to make them look. The money isn't just green or gold, it's black and crude. As long as those wells have oil in them, I see UAE flying. Again, just my outlook.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

NWDC10

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:15 pm

American777, i wasn't flaming you or anything. It's not good for an airline to "grow too fast". Robert NWDC10

QXatFAT

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting American777 (Reply 30):
Now as I told before to Mr. star_world, it is just MY OPINION, and I could be right or wrong and I will probably be just obviously wrong. The only reason I mention this reply (22) was because I have studied a lot about other airlines going out of business due to ordering many airplanes at once and ending up with no cash in their pockets.

Then dont get a wild hair when other people comment on your "opinions"

QXatFAT  Wink
Don't Tread On Me!

Joni

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:02 pm

Haven't we had this thread already?

LY777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:14 pm

maybe they will lease some A380s to other carriers...
Flown:A3B2,A320,A321,A332,A343,A388,717,727,732,734,735,738,73W,742/744/748,752,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W,D8,D10,L

zvezda

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:27 pm

There are several possibilities. EK could:
a) cancel orders,
b) operate them at a profit,
c) operate them at a loss,
d) park them in the desert,
e) sell them,
f) lease them to someone else.

EK is a private company owned by the emir. He didn't start it as an investment but because he was angry with (BA?) for not holding a flight when he was running late. It is more of a hobby than a business. The emir is rich enough that the airline can cater to his whims without turning a profit. I'm not suggesting that EK are not profitable, only that the profit motive is not as intense at EK as at a normal private company because they do not depend on profit for survival.

UAL777UK

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting LY777 (Reply 37):

Or maybe with the fiasco at Airbus and all the delays they will cancel the order and go for the 747-8i instead!!

TWAtwaTWA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:49 pm

Quoting American777 (Reply 32):
Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 31):
Can anyone say "PeopleExpress"?

What do you mean?

People Express was a lowcost airline that expanded too quickly in the 1980s after expanding too quickly. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Express)

Come on guys, let American777 off the hook. He brings up a good fundamental point, rapid expansion for an airline can be a risky business strategy.

Then again, I do have to side with Boeingfever777 and Star_World. Emirates has deep pockets, and is owned by royalty(1). It has been profitable since early in its existence, and Dubai is located within 4000nm from 3.5 billion people. Emirates is building a new hub for international travel. Somehow I don't think they will default on their payments for their planes.

[Edited 2006-06-19 10:03:57]
We're your kind of airline. Uh, I mean, We *were* your kind of airline.

LY777

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:56 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 39):
Quoting LY777 (Reply 37):

Or maybe with the fiasco at Airbus and all the delays they will cancel the order and go for the 747-8i instead!!

I don't think so.they will never cancel their A380 order.Never!!!
Flown:A3B2,A320,A321,A332,A343,A388,717,727,732,734,735,738,73W,742/744/748,752,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W,D8,D10,L

toptravel

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:22 pm

I glady fly EK to Australia at least twice a year from Rome and have done so for the last three years. I have yet to be on a flight that isn't flying with a 98% load factor.

I heard thru the grapevine that with the 380's they will be able to offer SYD/LHR at around $1000 r/t on all economy version.

With good customer service I don't think EK will have any trouble filling the 380's

GBan

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Quoting Joni (Reply 36):
Haven't we had this thread already?

It was about time to restart it. Now I'm impatiently waiting for the next Concorde of the 21st century thread  Wink

pavlin

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:37 pm

I just hope they don't end up broke after all those orders

brightcedars

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:55 pm

I believe they can fill the A380s on trunk routes. 43 isn't that huge of a number when you consider, as mentioned, that they can probably put 8-12 on DXB-LON alone by the time they have a good portion of the order delivered.

What I'm waiting for is to see them receive these A380s (sooner than later, hey Airbus!), put them on trunk routes, and open up new routes with the existing A330s (or whatever replacement) and 777s.

My hometown BRU can certainly do with a daily DXB, so can neighbor AMS (maybe even double daily). And there are dozens of other cities within reasonable range of DXB that can participate in feeding the A380s with 'smaller' metal: BCN, BUD, LED, LIS, MAD, PRG, WAW, etc. to name a few.
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

EK345

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:01 pm

Simple... EK is going to take over the world  Smile

EK345
"and miles to go before I sleep..."

karan69

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:03 pm

I recently[6 mths ago] finished a 100 mark project on EK which was awarded an A grade, i did do a lot of research regarding their A380s.

Fisrt of all looking at whatever i collected they seem to have a good plan for their A380s, this is an extract from my project, which is also my opinion analysing certain facts i got out.

"Emirates have a business plan and are a well established brand and airline and must have thought out very well what they wanted to do, before placing such a large order.
As time passed by since the order being signed, more and more facts became certain about the brilliant strategy Emirates has in mind. Some points as seen by a general aviation analyst like myself are
• The 380-800 will be used at slot-constrained airports like London Heathrow and New York-John.F.Kennedy Airport.
• It will be used on popular and high yielding routes like Sydney, Melbourne, Singapore, England
A380 configuration will be 489 seats in three classes for the longer routes, such as New York/ Dubai,
• A380 configuration will be 517 in three classes for the medium routes, such as Dubai/ London,
• A380 configuration will be 644 for certain high density and relatively low-yielding markets.

Also, airlines like Qantas and Lufthansa who are the second largest Airbus 380-800 customers are already large operators of the Boeing 747-400 aircraft, which was until recently the largest passenger aircraft in the skies, seating 450 people and capable of doing routes like London-Tokyo and London-Singapore with a full payload. "

Free to comment or criticise it, your opinions are most welcome

Cheers

Karan

karan69

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 12):
DXB-LHR
DXB-LGW

Atleast 1 flight at LGW and 2 at LHR requiring 3 x A380s

DXB-CDG
DXB-FRA

1 flight each requiring 2x 380s

DXB-SYD

Atleast the daily non-stop requiring 2 x 380s

DXB-BKK-HKG

1 flight requiring 1 A380

DXB-HKG

1 flight requiring 1 A380

DXB-SIN

1 flight requring 1 A380

DXB-JFK

Atleast one of the dailies requring 2 A380

DXB-JNB

1 of the dailies requring 1 1/2 A380s

DXB-CAI

These routes like DXB-JED/MNL/CMB etc. will be filled up with the high density 2 class 644 seats A380

Also other routes like

DXB-KIX requring 2 A380s
DXB-MEL requring 2 A380s

Not counting the high density A380s EK already require a minimum of 15-17 A380s as of today.

I am sure they will have something up their sleves for the remaing 25 odd ones.

Cheers,

Karan

Aither

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:46 pm

You guys got really a lack of vision.

Dubai is not the united states, Dubai is not New York, EK is not a an american airline, and middle east is not the US.

Think 10 years ago about what you would have said about the EK's current fleet...

As i mentioned earlier in this post, the number of A380s ordered by EK makes perfect sense and i would not be surprised if they order more.

[Edited 2006-06-19 12:47:47]
Never trust the obvious

Motorhussy

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 48):
Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 12):DXB-SYD
Atleast the daily non-stop requiring 2 x 380s

And it would make sense to carry this flight on to AKL as is done currently.

DXB-SYD-AKL

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific