MAH4546
Topic Author

Nashville Seeks Tokyo Flights

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:48 am

So Nissan moves their HQ to the Music City, and all of the sudden they think they can support Tokyo flights. Can't beat them down for dreaming, but I really hope they don't waste time trying to sell this idea, which just isn't going to work:

Tennasean article:
http://www.ashlandcitytimes.com/apps...7/BUSINESS01/606170318/1291/MTCN01

There are quite a handful of US cities - San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, Maui, Anchorage, Las Vegas (JAL leaves in the fall), and even Northwest-hubbed Memphis - that would see Tokyo service before Nashville, IMO.
a.

OzarkD9S

RE: Nashville Seeks Tokyo Flights

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:51 am

STL is still seeking an occupant for the rest of D Concourse.

I'm still looking for that winning powerball ticket.

Keep dreaming BNA. BNA is easily accessible to NRT via ORD/MSP/DTW/ATL/DFW.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

ERJ170

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:54 am

Perhaps ATA could do a BNA-NRT/LGW/CDG/FRA/HNL and use the WN feed...

Perhaps.. I'm just thinking out loud..
Aiming High and going far..

AirlineBrat

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:57 am

Good luck!! That would be a good Powerball lottery bet....... The odds would be similar.....
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

EMBQA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:00 am

With ATL just a 35 minute flight away..?? Never. One business does not a demand make.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

MSYtristar

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:03 am

BNA-NRT? Good one! Not going to happen i'm afraid. The market is just too small, and one corporate hdq cannot support the service on its own.

DAL767400ER

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:06 am

Wow, those guys must be smoking some very intense stuff. If anything at all, Nissan could start their own, private BBJ/ACJ service, at most, like DC has between Detroit and Stuttgart, but commercial flights, hells no!

misbeehavin

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Airlinebrat (Reply 3):
The odds would be similar

Worse, IMO. Chances are between slim and none, and slim just left town.

They can always dream, can't they?  Smile

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:08 am

You know, it's not as farfetched as it seems. There are a ton of Japanese expats in Nashville (all you need to do to demonstrate this is eat some sushi downtown-- maybe the best between the coasts), and a couple of businesses. Still, there's absolutely no chance. Who would fly it? Maybe WN after their whalejets are delivered...
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MastaHanky

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:17 am

There's an IKEA opening here in SLC, so I think Delta should start some SLC-ARN flights!  laughing 

Ih8b6

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:39 am

Ed Nelson, the merchant banker and Japan's honorary consul general in Tennessee says it's likely to happen?

What the heck is this dude smoking?! Nice of him to give false hope to all those Nashvillians.....
Over-moderation sucks

thomasphoto60

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 9):
There's an IKEA opening here in SLC, so I think Delta should start some SLC-ARN flights! laughing

Yep, and I read in today's Chronicle that Houston has some 7.000 Argentines, perhaps we can talk AR into serving EZE/IAH alongside CO's current service  laughing  .

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

CIDFlyer

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting IH8B6 (Reply 10):
Ed Nelson, the merchant banker and Japan's honorary consul general in Tennessee says it's likely to happen?

What the heck is this dude smoking?! Nice of him to give false hope to all those Nashvillians.....

Totally agree. What on earth makes these people think that BNA will ever have a non stop Japan flight. The best they could hope for would be maybe a same plane direct flight on NWA with a stop in MEM to pick up connecting passengers. Until they find an ERJ or CRJ that would have the range to fly it I don't see BNA ever getting this flight Big grin

zvezda

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:07 am

If, hypothetically, NRT-BNA service were to be introduced, it most likely be either a US or a Japanese carrier. Let's consider the two cases separately.

There are no cases of a US carrier serving NRT from any airport at which they don't have a hub operation. Why should BNA be any different?

JL and NH serve HNL, KOA, SFO, LAX, ORD, JFK, and IAD. Plus LAS for a few more months. That's it. If either JL or NH were about to add another US destination, there are plenty of candidates ahead of BNA.

As for another airline with 5th freedom rights to serve the US via NRT such as SQ or TG, that suffers from the same problem as the JL/NH case.

mariner

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:08 am

Quoting CIDflyer (Reply 12):
What on earth makes these people think that BNA will ever have a non stop Japan flight.

Don't ask? You don't get.

Don't dream? You don't achieve.

And if what they end up with is a same plane one stop service, that's more than they have now.

mariner
aeternum nauta

iairallie

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:19 am

They should charter World/or my charter airline X to do some scheduled service bi-weekly or something. I miss Japan.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

mrstl

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:33 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 14):
Don't ask? You don't get.

Exactly, it doesn't hurt to try, this country is built on the impossible dream so why can't BNA have Japan service-- for that matter why can't STL get LGW service back?? Yes, I know, but I can hope.  optimist 

zvezda

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:37 am

Until they find an ERJ or CRJ that would have the range to fly it I don't see BNA ever getting this flight

The B787-8 will almost certainly result in a few more US cities getting nonstop service to NRT. The next major round of market fragmentation after that will result from the Airbus NSR (A320 replacement) and B737RS, however, they will almost certainly not have NRT-BNA range. Unless a US airline starts up a hub operation at BNA, it's not going to happen in the next 20 years. Maybe when the B787-8 gets replaced.

ripdog

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:41 am

Nice positive attitude Mariner, something to be said for that. I fly out of BNA about once a month with of course WN. In my opinion, Nashville is by no means an International Gateway. I can see maybe a connection thru MEM,DTW,ATL,ORD etc. There is no way this town can support this, it is too regional. The chatter here is all about the 700 new jobs in Williamson County. From what I hear, a lot of folks are moving here from California. Just not going to happen, right now anyway. But who knows... too many opitions to connect right now.Two airplanes to Narita is not that bad.

CALMSP

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:47 am

I think they'll get it!! I just saw two cows with wings flying outside my window!!!

SkyexRamper

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
So Nissan moves their HQ to the Music City, and all of the sudden they think they can support Tokyo flights.

At first when I saw this topic name, I thought BNA was trying to cash in on tourism dollars from asia.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

ripdog

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:01 am

That was pretty good CALM. Mostly cows,tobacco and especially country music here. I just cannot see the draw from the Asian market, but you guys know better. TBO, there is a growing Taiwanese and Chinese community here, due to the Universities. I really do not mind changing planes at a real airport to get overseas.

A330323X

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:35 am

So Nissan moves their HQ to the Music City, and all of the sudden they think they can support Tokyo flights. Can't beat them down for dreaming, but I really hope they don't waste time trying to sell this idea, which just isn't going to work:

Hey now, Mark, this might make more sense than the BNA-BDA flights they wanted last year. It's good to see that their airport has such, er, grand ambitions.

Hey, maybe that's the angle for their new service. They'll get an airline to corner the lucrative Tokyo-Bermuda market by providing one-stop service over Nashville.  Silly
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

Coronado990

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:44 am

I hear there is a big Tennessean population in Chiba.  Yeah sure
Uncle SAN at your service!

reins485

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:56 am

I dont think BNA will get the flight, a few years ago AA had a BNA-LGW flight, but there wasnt the demand for it. I think it might be possible down the raod, once the 787 rolls out. It depends on how fast Nashville and the suronding areas continue to grow. I have seen the place grow extremelly fast in the last 10 years and not seen a lot of evidence slowing it down. And more companies are moving hqs there because the state has no income tax. Thats why I am saying down the road there might be a flight.

MSYtristar

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:01 pm

The problem is feed. O&D alone (plus the Nissan traffic) could not justify a nonstop flight in the market. I could easily see something like BNA-FRA on LH before I could see BNA-NRT on anyone.

Carpethead

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:07 pm

Nissan should buy a Global Express or GV, so if the big wigs are complaining about lack of non-stop flights.
There is also the problem with slots at both HND & NRT. Plus owning a bizjet and operating a bizjet in Japan is nowhere near as flexible as in Europe or US.

Mir

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:18 pm

What on earth makes these people think that BNA will ever have a non stop Japan flight.

There will be a nonstop BNA-NRT flight. It'll just be flown with a Global Express or G550, and not open to the general public.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

EMBQA

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 27):
There will be a nonstop BNA-NRT flight

I doubt that as well... If they fly from any place it will be MQV which is closer to where they are building their new headquarters
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

misbeehavin

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 23):
I hear there is a big Tennessean population in Chiba.

ROTFLMAFO!  rotfl 

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:41 pm

A more interesting question might be whether the Nissan relocation will result in any other service. Due to the music industry, there's already a decent business connection to the Los Angeles area already, and as Nissan is actually leaving some of its corporate staff in Gardena (design is staying in San Diego as well AFAIK). I wonder if a second AA flight to LAX might happen or the introduction of a DL flight to LAX. DL is a relatively major player at BNA, and appears to get decent yields out of Nashville, at least judging by the fact that they are able to profitably operate a Crown Room, the only airline club at BNA. It's certainly not a slam dunk, but it would be much more likely than a NRT flight.

N353SK

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:42 pm

There's a Nissan Factory a few miles north of Jackson, MS. I guess somebody should start a JAN-NRT flight because of all that demand  spin 

DAL767400ER

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:43 pm

For that matter, I still wonder why Korean hasn't started ICN-MGM yet, given the huge plant Hyundai has built there  Silly .

b764

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:15 pm

I agree with DAL767400ER, they should get an ACJ or BBJ to fly this route. Otherwise Nissan would have to subsidize the route similar to AA's London route from RDU (Glaxo Shuttle). An ACJ or BBJ however won't be able to fly non-stop. I don't believe Nissan's new G550 can't make the trip westbound without a stop in ANC for Jet A.

Nissan Fleet:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Robbins

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Richard Covington

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jerry Search

PavlovsDog

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:10 pm

How about a 747-300 or 400 cargo conversion with the upper deck in an all-business class configuration? I imagine the cargo volume on the route could be much greater, and more profitable than a 100% passenger operation. The passenger income would be pure profit. I imagine Nissan would easily fill up the whole plane both cargo and passenger.

b764

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Well I stand corrected.  embarrassed  N155AN recently completed a journey KBNA-RJTT (6,669 great circle miles) non-stop.

mattbna

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 28):
I doubt that as well... If they fly from any place it will be MQV which is closer to where they are building their new headquarters

The new headquarters is going to be in Cool Springs - although Nissan's plant is in Smyrna (MQY)...

I can see it now.....they'll be putting a private airport in Cool Springs next... Why not? They've put everything else down there in the past 13 years!  Smile

Nissan was also discussing the lack of commercial BNA-JAN flights with the Airport Authority...

Matt

--
Canon EOS 7D & 40D -- 100-400mm L IS -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 28-135mm IS -- 10-22mm -- 18-55mm EF-S

avconsultant

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:34 am

So Nissan moves their HQ to the Music City, and all of the sudden they think they can support Tokyo flights

Toyota did the samething in CVG years ago.

Quoting Mir (Reply 27):
There will be a nonstop BNA-NRT flight. It'll just be flown with a Global Express or G550, and not open to the general public.

Exactly!!

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting Mattbna (Reply 36):
I can see it now.....they'll be putting a private airport in Cool Springs next... Why not? They've put everything else down there in the past 13 years!

Now that 840 is open, Cool Springs to Smyrna... they could probably just base birds at MQY. (Actually, Highway 96 isn't a bad drive either, and then you get to go through the happening town of Triune on the way.)

Quoting Mattbna (Reply 36):

Nissan was also discussing the lack of commercial BNA-JAN flights with the Airport Authority...

WN??

flyCMH

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:31 am

I can't blame BNA for aiming high, however even with Nissan's new facilities in the area and the increase in commerse to the Land of the Rising Sun, I truly doubt such a service would be feasable.

The new plant could warrant increases in current service, however. Here in Columbus, Honda's main North American facility is just north of town in Marysville. Also, The Ohio State University does a lot of business with the country and hosts many exchange students from the Japan. Having Honda and OSU here does account for a large amount of traffic between Columbus and Japan. Working for United, connecting bags to Japan are pleantiful, to the ture of an entire cartload at times. And we're not even the biggest player from CMH to Asia, that title goes to Northwest. I think the only reason Northwest has kept as much mainline traffic to CMH as they have is on account of the demand for their routes to Asia from DTW and MSP. Honda officials are always on the Air Canada Jazz flights between CMH and YYZ as well. Honda also charters an Air Georgian B1900 on a weekly basis to fly between Toronto and Columbus.

So I could definitely see increased service between Nashville and hubs with direct Asia access, as well as to Nissan's other manufacturing facilities in North America.

Doona

Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting MastaHanky (Reply 9):
There's an IKEA opening here in SLC, so I think Delta should start some SLC-ARN flights!

Actually, fly to ARN, and you still have a good 45 minute flight to the IKEA headquarters. Better to go to CPH and take the train :P

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

riyadhnurse

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:19 am

Everyone in the southeast knows that dead or alive,one is always routed thru ATL!  laughing 
Tongue-tied and twisted,just an earthbound misfit,I.

garnetpalmetto

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 5):
The market is just too small, and one corporate hdq cannot support the service on its own.

How's the market compare to RDU with our RDU-LGW flight on AA subsidized by GlaxoSmithKline?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

777-200

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 37):
CVG

But the Southeast Asian population in Southwestern Ohio is huge, dunno if its big enough to facilitate a flight to Tokyo, but its probably alot larger than Nashvilles.
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

SLCUT2777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:30 am

Nashville will end up just like SJC, a big money loser and they will pull the route before it starts. Somebodies big ego in wanting this one.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

rdu777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:17 am

Thing is with RDU-LGW it isn't only subsidized by Glaxo. It has other large companies in RTP and the surrounding area that help. I know that a long time ago Glaxo had its own gulfstream(s) which it used to ferry its employees across the pond with. If there were other companies to help argue for the flight it would be more possible, but one big company? I dont' see it happening. There is power in numbers, thankfully for RDU locals  Wink

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:35 am

Nissan? Toyota? No you fools. The Japanese are huge fans of Dolly Parton, and there will be A380 loads of them coming ... direct flights Tokyo / Nashville a sure bet!!!!
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

MDW22L31C

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:34 am

With Nissan's HQ now in Nashville makes sense.

worldjet777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:35 am

It does seem rather far fetched for scheduled service, but something like a weekly charter with domestic feed could run successfully. The loads coming from something like a WN feed option would work well. All the "connection possibility airlines" would go crazy though, and prices would fall- that's what would kill it if anything did. I would almost be willing to gamble it though...
Cheers,
wj777
Now Your Flying Smart

bnatraveler

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:54 am

Based on my username, you'll certainly know I'm biased.

BNA gets a daily (or 5x) 747-400 cargo from China Airways. Often that flight is n/s from TPE, sometimes ANC, and continues on to ORD or DFW depending on the day. This plane supplies parts for Dell.

Seasonally, we also get a 747-200 from Southern with holiday junk for Cracker Barrel.

We would be very hard pressed to have enough passenger demand for a full 747, but a combi with cargo that is already coming from Asia might work...