Topic Author

Heathrow To Impose Hand Luggage Limit

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:29 am

From http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1801274,00.html

Good news IMHO.

Heathrow to impose hand luggage limit

Staff and agencies
Monday June 19, 2006

Passengers at Britain's biggest airport will be prevented from taking oversized hand baggage on board flights from this summer, it was announced today.
Airport operator BAA will begin a phased implementation of the government-recommended ban at Heathrow from July 5.

Bags will have to be no more than 56cm (22in) long, 45cm (18in) wide and 25cm (10in) deep to be allowed as hand luggage.

Intended to be implemented throughout the London airport by August 1, the new rules will mean that passengers will be asked to check in as hold luggage all bags that do not fit in the gauges provided at check in.

The enforcement follows Department for Transport guidance recommending that all UK airlines and UK aerodrome operators seek to implement the International Air Transport Association (IATA) cabin baggage standards.

BAA spokeswoman Liz Neighbour said: "Passengers are now packing larger, thicker hand baggage filled with more electronic devices then ever before.

"This trend demands extra security attention leading to longer queues. It's time for the journey of the over-stuffed 'wheelie bag' to end at check-in."

Signage and IATA-standard baggage gauges will be placed throughout all Heathrow terminals advising passengers of the new regulation on size.

At least my wheelie bag meets the rules.

David L

RE: Heathrow To Impose Hand Luggage Limit

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:42 am

Fine... as long as I can take two! I travel with a small rucksack (camera, camcorder, "lost luggage" emergency kit, book), which meets the requirements and fits under the seat easily, and a laptop, which also meets the requirements and goes in the overhead bin.

SmithAir747

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:50 am

On August 9, I will be travelling home to FWA from LHR for a very short summer holiday (one month) from my studies in London.

I will be checking in 2 large Samsonites. But for my carryons, I will be carrying my violin case, my (small) wheelie backpack, and most importantly, my CPAP respirator (which MUST be carried on at any rate, as it is a costly, delicate medical device).

Will the aforementioned 3 carry-on bags (violin case, small wheelie backpack, and especially, my CPAP machine) be within the new LHR hand baggage rules? (I'm flying UA).

In the past, I have been able to travel back and forth from FWA to London (LGW and LHR) without any problems with my 3 carryons.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

carduelis

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:53 am

I welcome it! The max I ever carry on a flight is a small sized bag that fits in my hand, containing ticket, passport, toothbrush, etc. The min on shorter trips is just my ticket and passport in my shirt or jacket pocket.

For info, BA announced this news a few days ago, including a television news interview.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagpolicy/public/en_gb
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

tangoecho

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:19 am

It isn't just heathrow that'll be implementing this, We at ABZ are to implement this in july.

Anyone who arrives at the boarding pass check at departures with bags larger than said above will be sent back to check it in.

About time I say

Stu...
Contact Aberdeen tower on 118.10 G'day.

FFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:40 am

Nobody has yet mentioned us Americans with our big roll-aboards, but I will do it myself...

As long as these rules are not universal or universally enforced, there is a problem. As you know, here in the States, bigger carry-ons are widely used. What happens if we have a connection in LHR or where ever they enforce this rule? I was once denied my roll-aboard on SAS...and I haven't flown that airline ever since. I just heard a guy telling a story about having to put his computer bag inside his carry-on on SAS. Because they have a limit of only one carry-on, without any additional personal items (which, including a computer case etc., are allowed in the US). After hearing this I decided that SAS won't see me in their planes ever.

About the whole issue; airlines are putting in bigger bins to accommodate the increased number/size of the carry-ons! What is the problem?

columbia107

Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting FFlyer (Reply 5):
About the whole issue; airlines are putting in bigger bins to accommodate the increased number/size of the carry-ons! What is the problem?

The problem is that some people think it is appropriate to bring on board luggage items which in no way can be categorised as carry-ons. And there is no way such items will fit in the bigger bins. Not even those to be found on a T7.
In God we trust

GBan

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:00 am

The problem is that even bigger bins are not big enough. People try to take all their luggage as hand luggage. I agree that this is not acceptable.

But possibly faster delivery of checked luggage at destination airports would help as much as stronger rules.

dutchjet

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:41 am

Interesting - I never really considered an airport imposing a restriction on carry on baggage....thats usually an airline issue.

Its not gonna be easy enforcing these regs, especially with US pax who prefer to take everything onboard with them in those huge black roll on bags. Be prepared for lots of unhappy pax being turned away from the security stations to check their baggage.

TomFoolery

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:42 am

This is very convenient to start imposing this while some carriers are beginning to charge for checked luggage. I have been through some airports and I have seen airline ads touting 'No weight restrictions on carry on luggage*' (*within reason). Sure, if you are travelling light, for a weekeng, it should be no problem, and you dont have to wait at baggage claim, but if I have to wait at baggage claim anyway, I'l check it all. If the airline loses it, they will give me money for more clothes. Sure it may be a hassle, but so is connecting across Europe, lugging around all your stuff.

Tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

ikramerica

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting Columbia107 (Reply 6):
The problem is that some people think it is appropriate to bring on board luggage items which in no way can be categorised as carry-ons.

So, going to a 10in deep limit is the answer? Bullcrap!

They tried this in the states and it was a disaster. They tried to limit it to what you could theoretically fit under your seat, as if the bins don't exist.

I like the idea of a limit. But make it reasonable. Maybe 60x50x30 cm. Those 5 cm all around make a BIG difference. (24x20x12 in for us english unit users).
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LAXintl

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:50 am

Actually in the US several airlines encourage customers to carry on as much as they can, the hence the push for larger and larger overhead bins.

Besides making customers happy by allowing them hold on to their bags, this also makes good business sense.
Increased carry on luggage have several benefits to airlines including, reduced baggage loss and claims, ability to reduce staffing at hubs due reduced transfer baggage, potential quicker turn arounds due less baggage to load, free room to carry other revenue producing items such as mail and cargo.

I wonder how some of the US carriers react to this UK edict. Particularly CO whom has been very vocal against attempts to restrict carry ons in the US previously post 9/11.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sllevin

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 2):
Will the aforementioned 3 carry-on bags (violin case, small wheelie backpack, and especially, my CPAP machine) be within the new LHR hand baggage rules? (I'm flying UA).

In my experience, having spent the better part of a year travelling with someone who carried a CPAP machine -- when he explained what it was he was never given any trouble, and he typically carried it as a 'third' carryon.

The dimenaions cited in the article are fine in my book, as few things much larger than that will actually fit. I actually use a 20" rollaboard myself.

Steve

FFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:03 am

Also, sending people back to check-in counters to check the luggage won't just resolve the problem. Where do people put their valuables, laptops, other items, when maybe their only carry-on will be taken away. Sure you can't trust your medication, any breakable or valuable items to be put in the cargo hold. You all have seen the stories about items being stolen by whoever from the luggage - the carry-ons would be even more tempting for some souls.

SAS gave me a plastic bag. I had to separate the items on the counter, while there was a line waiting behind me. Not really improving any efficiency at check-in at that time! And having only a cheap plastic supermarket bag as a carry-on is not very uplifting, either.

The best way, in my mind, is the way they have done on several flights here in the US lately; the bigger carry-ons have been checked at the gate, when going to the plane. You can see when/where it is going, and you will get it back when de-boarding. Works very well! This has happened on a few very full DL flights, when there hasn't been enough space for all the carry-ons.

BritPilot777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting David L (Reply 1):
Fine... as long as I can take two!

With the wheelie bag you can take either a briefcase or laptop bag or a women's handbag (for the ladies). So you can only take one main piece of hand luggage.

One thing not mentioned in the above report is that the carry on luggage can weigh a maximum of 23kg as long as the passenger can lift the bag in and out of a hand baggage gauge. Passengers must be able to fit their hang luggage into the space on the scales and lift their bag into and out of it, without assistance. If they can't they will have to check the bag.

If a passenger somehow manage to get past the PSU in the terminal, when they get to the security, their hand baggage must now fit through a plastic sort of thing with a hole in it that will allow through bags at the specs given in the above report, bags which do not fit, will be sent with their owner back to a check in desk to check the piece in!

As long as these rules are not universal or universally enforced, there is a problem

All flights into and out of the UK will have to enforce these rules, so flying into the UK you will have to abide by the rules.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
Interesting - I never really considered an airport imposing a restriction on carry on baggage....thats usually an airline issue.

Airlines are having to impose this because of the DOT and BAA from all airports in the UK.

BP777
Forever Flight

FFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:15 am

"If a passenger somehow manage to get past the PSU in the terminal, when they get to the security, their hand baggage must now fit through a plastic sort of thing with a hole in it that will allow through bags at the specs given in the above report, bags which do not fit, will be sent with their owner back to a check in desk to check the piece in!"

Idiots; why just not to "gate-check" it at that time??? Send the pax back to the check-in counters... Yes, that will save some time and nerves...!

airbazar

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:27 am

I just went through Terminal 4 and the security line was absurdly long. It went all the way to the end of the checkin area, out the door aand back up along the sidewalk. It had little to do with carryon lugage all all to do with terribly inneficient security check procedures.

They make you put all your belongings through the x-ray machine: coat, laptop, bag, keys, coins, belt, etc, but they don't supply the baskets ahead of the x-ray machine. The security person hands them out to each passengers at the x-ray machine, upon which the passenger starts to sort out their belongings.

In other airports, including the US, the trays are stacked well ahead of the x-ray machine with long tables leading to the security check so that people have time to prepare for the security check well ahead of time and thus spend minimal time at the security check.

BritPilot777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 16):
I just went through Terminal 4 and the security line was absurdly long. It went all the way to the end of the checkin area, out the door aand back up along the sidewalk. It had little to do with carryon lugage all all to do with terribly inneficient security check procedures.

Was this today or yesterday? I was at work yesterday and I agree it was really bad, most people were shouting at us PSU but there's not much we can do as it is a BAA problem causing the lines!

BP777
Forever Flight

ikramerica

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 14):
when they get to the security, their hand baggage must now fit through a plastic sort of thing with a hole in it that will allow through bags at the specs given in the above report, bags which do not fit, will be sent with their owner back to a check in desk to check the piece in!

Exactly the fiasco in the USA. Did LHR not ask around to other major airports before attempting this plastic gate on the conveyor thing?

MIA, LAX, JFK could have told them to scrap this idea and go to either a larger size with a metal bin to check them in or a gate check system when flight staff determine the plane is going to be too full. That's how it's been in the USA for a few years and I generally think it works, even when some people decide to carry on a full size bag.

The plastic gate thing was insanely inconvenient, causing delays at security, and many security personnel ended up lifting up the plastic gate and letting bags through anyway.

And yes, connections through LHR will be a nightmare for people coming from airports without this restriction. And of course, that's just about every airport in the world right now...

ltbewr

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:18 am

One can reasonably assume that those with special medical needs, or specialy value items (musical intruments) Iwill be reasonably exempt from these new rules. Still, with the trend toward more carry ons, and many more flights running full, jams at security, I don't blame the BAA to do this.
Generally I try to only carry on a soft bag that is quite light and can carry a lot and check in the rest. I limit my carry on to those things I need or can reasonably want during the flight or are valuables. Then I usually put it under the seat in front of me (or under the seat next to me if no one sitting there) as fortuntally I have short legs (I am 5'4") and I hate to fight for the bag from the usually overstuffed bins. That way, it is available to others, my coat if cold weather.

[Edited 2006-06-19 23:21:14]

FFlyer

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:27 am

If you make 1 - 3 day trips, do you want to check your luggage, or only have a carry-on? If you check your luggage, you then still need a carry-on. Two (at least) different pieces for a short trip??? That's why there are roll-aboards!

BritPilot777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:55 am

This whole hand baggage thing is gonna become slightly more complex when the new checked luggage policy comes into effect on Oct 8th (At least at BA).

The maximum weight on a checked piece can be a max of 23kg, whereas it's currently 32kg. Excess baggage will be charged per piece and not per additional kg as currently. So for instance, a passenger travelling to economy on BA to India can check their one 23kg bag in, any other bags to check will be charged per piece regardless of weight (as long as its less than 23kg) if they wish to check their hand baggage, that is deemed to big for hand luggage, they will be charged an extra piece of luggage even if the weight is 6kg.

Club passengers and First passengers will still be allowed their 30kg / 40kg respectively but again no bag can be more than 23kg.

The countries that currently use the piece system (2 pieces of luggage allowance) will continue (such as the USA and Lagos), though the weight must be 23kg or less per bag.

The hand luggage policy is the same throughout all classes!

BP777
Forever Flight

ikramerica

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:57 am

Just proves that LHR is trying to remove the crown of "most pain in the ass major world airport" away from LAX and plant it firmly on their own head!

David L

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:26 am

So you can only take one main piece of hand luggage.

So you can put one piece in the bin or under the seat but not both. If it turns out that way in practice I'm going to have to consider Eurostar. There's no way I'm putting my laptop, camera, camcorder or "lost luggage" kit in the hold.

schipholjfk

Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:32 pm

With all due respect, imposing all these baggage restrictions, etc at LHR is simply masking the fact that LHR is not longer a world-standard airport (compared to most new Asian airports or Schiphol in AMS) and in order to lower congestion, waiting time, lines, etc.... IMPROVE LHR! Baggage restriction is a nice touch... but it will only add to the waiting time for security. Just watch. It solves nothing!
The fun of flying... love it !!!

richardw

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:45 pm

This is a cost cutting measure by BAA. They simply aren't willing to spend money to assist with passengers getting through security. I was at EDI at 7pm on Sunday, peak time, not all security lanes were open and the queues were long. This happens all the time, Saturday morning at LGW, Friday evening at STN, Christmas at LHR.

BritPilot777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 25):
This is a cost cutting measure by BAA

Recently at LHR T4 BAA has been very very short of staff, this explains the long security lines, but on Saturday alone they were down 15 staff (If I remember correctly).

BP777
Forever Flight

RobertS975

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:46 pm

I agree with the above poster that states that an extra 2 inches in all dimensions will accomodate the many larger "USA" rollaboards and would mitigate any difficulties. Certainly, any larger than THAT, the passenger should have no beef if they ask them to check it.

Also, with the proliferation of RJs (I am not sure how common they are at Heathrow), one can gate check even an oversize carry-on for valet plane side pickup.

JGPH1A

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 26):
Recently at LHR T4 BAA has been very very short of staff, this explains the long security lines, but on Saturday alone they were down 15 staff (If I remember correctly).

Answer: Hire more staff.

It is BAA's responsibility to carry out these security checks, I don't see why their inability to perform this basic task should inconvenience me, the flying public. Security checks add nothing to my convenience or my travelling experience, they are something that just has to be dealt with, and BAA have to accept that their job is make them as quick and painless as possible, end of story.

No doubt some of our more securocratic members will rant on about how these checks are saving me from a violent painful death at the hands of extremists - well so far, how many actual terrorists have been caught out by one of BAA's faulty, understaffed, and inefficient security checks ? Answer - 0, nada, zip, not a one. They are a complete waste of time, as far as I'm concerned, and making people queue for 20 minutes to shove their belongings through a metal box is poor customer service, it's that simple. Aggravating the procedure by applying arbitrary and irrelevant size limits just adds insult to injury.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

scbriml

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 23):
So you can put one piece in the bin or under the seat but not both.

No, read his reply. You will be allowed two items - a main bag (roller type that will fit in the overhead bin) and a briefcase/laptop bag/handbag that will fit under the seat in front of you.

I recently received a mailshot from BA confirming that their carry-on rules were about to change. All customers would be allowed two items on all flights. This pleases me after being told to check my roller bag when I flew back from AMS a week ago.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

CV580Freak

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:00 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If they say "one piece of hand luggage" then one piece it is.

Here in Middle East they have got it right as your baggage is on the baggage belt long before you arrive.................
One day you are the pigeon, the next the statue ...

voodoo

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Main concern is probably that hand luggage shouldn't start to impede on shopping in BAAs retail centres, I mean, `terminals'.

Silly
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

ANother
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 28):
Answer: Hire more staff.

My last GVA-LHR-GVA ticket had CHF30 a (GBP14) PSC for BAA. What are they doing with the money (besides building T5 and new A380 gates - which I probably will never use)? They should be ashamed.

Ruscoe

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 16):

I also went through T4 recently and just want to back up what you said about the plastic trays. It seemed so obviously inefficient I wonder if there is another reason, but i can't think of it!!
Ruscoe

David L

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 29):
No, read his reply.

I did. I just misinterpreted it  Smile

With the wheelie bag you can take either a briefcase or laptop bag or a women's handbag (for the ladies). So you can only take one main piece of hand luggage.

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 29):
You will be allowed two items - a main bag (roller type that will fit in the overhead bin) and a briefcase/laptop bag/handbag that will fit under the seat in front of you.

I interpreted "with the wheelie bag" as meaning "in the wheelie bag scenario" - it makes more sense now! As I've seen wheelie laptop cases, I read it as meaning you can take "one of the above wheelie types". You'd be hard pressed to determine which of the two bags I take on board is the "main" one.

So, the "wheelie" and "main" parts are not important - you can effectively have two pieces of carry on luggage, each of which must meet the size regulations. One item can go in the overhead and one can go under the seat.

Great - no change for me, then.  Smile

Vasu

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:12 pm

Good! I'm fed up with seeing people try to stuff huge cases into the overhead lockers!

ikramerica

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Quoting CV580Freak (Reply 30):
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If they say "one piece of hand luggage" then one piece it is.

The fuss is the dimensions being too small and the plastic shield that will make things take longer, not less time, as people try to shove their bag in, or are forced to take things out and transfer them to a plastic bag (is security going to be providing plastic bags?) or forcing you to go back to the front and check your bag and then re-enter security.

And since it's a one airport thing (both the smaller size and the lighter luggage requirement), it will create havoc with people who arrived at LHR fine but then find when they have to transfer or check-in for their return, they all of a sudden can't get those same bags checked or into the cabin because of a rule an airport authority (not an airline) imposes, the entity you don't have a choice in and are paying huge fees to already.

David L

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 35):
Good! I'm fed up with seeing people try to stuff huge cases into the overhead lockers!

I'm generally with you on that but last time I saw this discussed there were a few reasonable explanations, e.g. a weekend trip with a tight connection and luggage not able to be checked right through. It's still annoying when I can't get my one laptop bag in the overhead locker anywhere near my seat, though.

Ken777

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:47 pm

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 2):
and most importantly, my CPAP respirator (which MUST be carried on at any rate, as it is a costly, delicate medical device).

I've been in the same situation since 1998 (now using an autopap) and have found that there has (so far) been no problems with the 3rd carry-on as long as I tell the check in agent it is my medical equipment bag. Ensure you have "Medical Assist" printed on your boarding pass, which should help at the "New LHR", but I think they will still be cautious about giving you a problem. If the US is included in your trip then I believe you fall under the DOT regulation where you are allowed to carry it on and it cannot be counted as part of your limit. There is a reg somewhere and I'll try to find it so you can carry it with you.

As for using the cpap I know that QF allows it (with prior approval) and you can actually plug it right into the wall outlet using a US type plug. BA also allows it with a power inverter by using the seat power point. Both reasons why I stay on oneworld as I'm using mine on overnight flights. Better sleep for me and everyone within 20 rows are not kept awake by my snoring!

richardw

Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:50 pm

BTW this is a BAA thing and includes other airports aswell as LHR. Airlines that use LHR will make this their thing. BA are already publising this, not sure about Air Sahara though.

iairallie

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm

Here in Middle East they have got it right as your baggage is on the baggage belt long before you arrive.................

Not in my experience I always have to wait a long time in KWI.

I don't understant why the BAA is taking this on. Shouldn't it be up to the individual airlines to implement and enforce carryon restrictions?

They are already quite restrictive at LHR in my opinion. I think they are going to have a lot of very angry people. Especially if they send people back to the ticket counter after they have already waited in a long security line. They are also going to get lots of complaints when expensive electronics are ruined.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

sleak76

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 40):

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 40):
Not in my experience I always have to wait a long time in KWI.

In my many travels into KWI (which is at the very least once monthly), I have found the average time of wait before the first bag appears onto the carousel to be around 7 minutes. Hardly a long wait at all.
'Place your ad here'. Only $9.95 per post made.

fly2yyz

Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 35):

And as cabin crew member who has to look for extra space when say each passenger brings in two pieces of hand luggage stuffed to capacity is great fun! I welcome this policy that the BAA is implementing and would like to see how it'll work out.

Any idea on if it will be implemented at all UK airports?

kdm

Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:04 pm

I am very happy with this. It is the huge weight in the overhead lockers that bothers me during heavy turbulence.

That said I think they should fix the route cause of the problem and sort out the amount of time it can take to get bags off the plane to the carousel (Singapore have proved that it is possible to be efficient), and they sort out the lost luggage problem, this should not happen these days.

That said it has been a good eight years since I have lost luggage even though I travel monthly.