ilyag

Why No Glass Jetways In US Airports?

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:52 pm

I've seen several galss jetways (most new European terminals seem to get them) but I don't remember any US airport having them. Is there any particular reason for that? Glass jetway is really cool for boarding.

AerospaceFan

RE: Why No Glass Jetways In US Airports?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:02 am

The whole airline industry, including airports, isn't what it used to be here in the 'States.

I.e., cheapness abounds.

There are some very good airports and airport lounges here, but as far as infrastructure, it's strictly old school. Here in L.A., they've been trying to implement LAX expansion for ages, and for ages, there's been a NIMBYism (not in my backyard-ism) as well as environmental red tape that has run up the costs of even planning it.

We're due for a change, I hope.

[Edited 2006-06-22 17:12:48]
What's fair is fair.

slider

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 1):
I.e., cheapness abounds.

Beyond cheapness, it has everything to do with function before fashion. There are cost concerns certainly, but also safety.

Is it value added to have glass jetways? To see what? FOD on the ramp? Grease, oil stains, rampers working? these things might resonate with us plane geeks, but it has no value whatsoever in the real world. Especially when jetways get knocked around by high winds, are temperamental mechanical pain in the ass devices that even when new are ornery. Why complicate things?

AerospaceFan

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 2):
Beyond cheapness, it has everything to do with function before fashion. There are cost concerns certainly, but also safety.

You might very well be absolutely right, here.

I'm speaking from the standpoint of looking at the planes, though. I've been known to walk very slowly in terminals just so I can look at the planes parked outside on the tarmacs. I do miss the days when there were specialized areas where you could just sit around and watch the whole airport around you -- the days of viewing lounges, that is. Too few of them, I say.

P.S.: Although, in those cases, I may walk slowly, I take care not to block passenger traffic, since excessive crowds are a part of my gripes, too.
What's fair is fair.

CM767

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:22 am

Well we have them here at PTY and for me as a passenger, even if they cost extra they are worth every penny, the airport has a more relaxing atmosphere now, less stress = more happy passengers = more business.
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day