ContinentalGuy
Topic Author

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 pm

What is Delta Shuttle? Is it really different or a clever gimmick?

DeltaRules

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:45 pm

The Delta Shuttle's a service operated on MD-88s offering hourly flights connecting LGA, BOS & DCA. IIRC, the planes are in an all-coach configuration. In the past, they've operated 727s, 738s & 733s on these flights before the MD-88s were added.

Not sure what you mean by "clever gimmick". I don't know if they offer anything special on these flights as I've never been on one, but I think the hourly schedule is one thing that sets it apart.

DeltaRules

[Edited 2006-06-23 05:58:56]
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

dalb777

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 1):
the planes are in an all-coach configuration

These seats have more legroom and pitch than the mainline fleet's. The Shuttle MD-88s accommodate 134 passengers, while the mainline MD-88s accommodate 142 passengers, 14 in first and 128 in coach.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ypes_layout/md88_shuttle/index.jsp

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...craft_types_layout/md-88/index.jsp
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

iowaman

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting Dalb777 (Reply 2):
These seats have more legroom and pitch than the mainline fleet's. The Shuttle MD-88s accommodate 134 passengers, while the mainline MD-88s accommodate 142 passengers, 14 in first and 128 in coach.

That's strange.. I would of thought they would have the first class on the shuttle routes and all coach on the others.

airzim

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:27 pm

Unlike mainline, the also provide a free snack and free alcohol. The tickets are fully flexible so you're allowed to standby for any flight that day as long as they're seats.

Lastly in good weather they de-plane from the front and rear airstairs. You can be out of the plane and in a taxi in 5 minutes.

Best thing about Delta

flyswim

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:51 pm

wasn't Delta in the process of changing the shuttle fleet over to 737s or airbus at one point? presume that got put on hold with ch. 11.

flypdx

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting Flyswim (Reply 5):
wasn't Delta in the process of changing the shuttle fleet over to 737s or airbus at one point? presume that got put on hold with ch. 11.

I doubt they were ever considering Airbus, since they are a boeing airline. They did fly 733s and 738s at one point on the shuttle routes

jascmil

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:59 pm

I'm rather fond of the Delta Shuttle...I take it quite frequently between DCA and LGA. It's comfortable (more leg room), quick, and efficient. Boarding and seating is simply first come/first serve -- there are no seat assignments and passengers simply line up when the doors are opened. Departing through the rear stairwell on the MD-88 is also a nice treat -- deplaning moves much more quickly. The Delta Shuttle Terminal at LGA is also convenient and quick -- although I rarely check luggage on these flights, when I do, my bag is usually already in the terminal by the time I get off the plane.

Passengers also have access to a complimentary newsstand and receive a snack bag on every flight. As mentioned previously, alcohol is complimentary. Did I hear a rumor that the Shuttle will be folded back into DL mainline?

FlyDeltaJets

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:57 pm

Quoting Jascmil (Reply 7):
Did I hear a rumor that the Shuttle will be folded back into DL mainline?

Delta Shuttle is operated by DL employees, I don't see any real benefit of "folding them in" as they are already in just using the M8X instead of M88 a/c.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

jascmil

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 8):
Delta Shuttle is operated by DL employees, I don't see any real benefit of "folding them in" as they are already in just using the M8X instead of M88 a/c.

Perhaps I should've been a bit more clear. I heard, just through chatter on one of my flights, that Shuttle service would be ending soon and "regular" DL flights would return. By "regular" DL flights, I mean assigned seating, no newsstand, no snack bag, and the return of a first class product. Pardon my ignorance on the topic...I'm just a passenger.

worldtraveler

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:45 pm

I doubt it. The Shuttle is a premium product and DL maintains premium revenue even with LFC growth in similar Shuttle markets.

DL just upgraded the facility at the Marine Air Terminal in partnership w/ Amex so it's pretty apparent the Shuttle will only get stronger.

DL does have the largest market share in the LGA Shuttle markets and has maintained it since acquiring the Shuttle from Pan Am.

B4REAL

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:52 pm

I don't know if they offer anything special on these flights as I've never been on one, but I think the hourly schedule is one thing that sets it apart.

Like others said some of the distinctions are:

-There are complimentary nice beverages and snacks available
-Use of the rear door for quicker ground time
-Use of the Marine Air Terminal @ LGA - a real treat
-All coach seating w/ extra pitch - the 'shuttle config' if you ever had a 738 in ATL with it. The extra 2 or 3 inches of pitch is nice.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

deltairlines

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Also, I know at BOS, there is a dedicated security line for the Shuttle to allow for passengers to get to the gate quicker. One of the biggest things the Shuttle advertises is that you can get from the curb to sitting on the plane in under 20 minutes; I've parked at the airport at 547 a.m. before and still made the 600 a.m. shuttle before without rushing.

I doubt the Shuttle would fold back into regular mainline. The DL Shuttle is more or less dominating the US Airways Shuttle to NYC, and I believe is also beating the Acela and the other (CO to EWR, AAEagle to JFK/LGA/EWR) choices as well, and part of the reason why is because it's an upscale travel experience compared to the others.

Jeff

panamair

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:19 pm

The Shuttle is just about the most civilized and hassle-free air travel experience one can find these days within the U.S., especially during weekdays when it's filled mostly with business travellers. Almost everyone on board knows the drill; nobody gives anyone else any hassles; people know where to go, where to sit, what to do at security checkpoints, etc. Plus the Marine Air Terminal is so easy to navigate; disembarking is quick and within a few minutes, you are already in the taxi queue.
It's one of the few remaining pleasures of domestic U.S. travel.

dtwclipper

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Quoting ContinentalGuy (Thread starter):
What is Delta Shuttle?

Here's the story on the shuttle:

Delta Purchased the Shuttle ops from Pan Am
Pan Am Purchased the Shuttle ops from New York Air
(when Texas Air purchased Eastern, the DOT would not allow Texas Air to operate both)
Texas Air set up the New York Air Shuttle in '80, to compete against Eastern.

US Air took over the operations of the Trump Shuttle
(Trump Shuttle never turned a profit. The high debt load incurred in the company's formation unnerved Trump's creditors as his other high profile, highly leveraged interests failed. In September 1990 the loans were defaulted and ownership of the airline passed to its creditor banks, led by Citicorp. With airline share prices depressed by the recession and anticipation of the Gulf War, they were unable to sell the operation at a desired price despite lengthy negotiations first with Northwest Airlines, then American Airlines and US Air Group.

The banks finally negotiated a complex marketing arrangement in which US Air Group would assume 40% ownership and agree to manage the operation for ten years, including fares, financial record keeping, advertising, promotions, aircraft maintenance, and labor relations. The same agreement gave USAir an option to purchase the entire shuttle operation on or after October 10, 1996 with an exclusive right to do so until April 10, 1997. On April 7, 1992 Trump Shuttle ceased to exist when it was merged into a new corporation, Shuttle, Inc., which began operating as the USAir Shuttle on April 12.

US Airways subsequently announced the purchase of the remainder of Shuttle, Inc. on November 19, 1997, and the service has since operated under the name US Airways Shuttle. Shuttle, Inc. remained as a subsidiary of US Airways Group until July 1, 2000, when it was merged into US Airways.)

Trump purchesed the Eastern Shuttle in 1989
(As the financial outlook for Eastern Air Lines became more pessimistic in the late 1980s, the carrier began to sell its routes and aircraft. It organized its profitable Northeastern air shuttle operation into a separate company headed by Bruce Nobles with the intent of selling it to raise cash. On October 5, 1988, amidst a prolonged mechanics strike action, real estate mogul Donald Trump arranged to purchase the shuttle. In June, 1989 the deal was completed, financed through a $380 million loan from a syndicate of 22 banks. The new airline began service as Trump Shuttle on June 7. Its IATA designator code was 'TB')

Eastern began shuttle ops in 1961
(In 1961 Eastern inaugurated the Eastern Air Shuttle, featuring hourly flights of Lockheed Constellations and Electras between New York-LaGuardia, Washington, D.C.-National, and Boston-Logan Airports.

The service emphasized convenience and simplicity—revolutionary in an era when air travel was both considered and expected to be a luxury. Not only were seat reservations not required, seat assignments were not given, and initially no check-in was required and no boarding passes were issued. Eastern guaranteed availability, however, and planes flew hourly whether empty or full. In the event of a full flight, Eastern simply added another aircraft. Jets were added in 1967 and the shuttle became all-jet in 1978 with a fleet of dedicated Boeing 727s.

The shuttle proved one of Eastern's most successful ventures. Other airlines, including Pan American World Airways, eventually set up competing services. In 1989, financially struggling Eastern sold the operation to real estate magnate Donald Trump, who rebranded it the Trump Shuttle.)
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dartland

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 12):
The DL Shuttle is more or less dominating the US Airways Shuttle to NYC, and I believe is also beating the Acela and the other (CO to EWR, AAEagle to JFK/LGA/EWR) choices as well

Anyone actually have stats on this?

I'm partial to the US Shuttle --- they use nice 319s and seat assignments. They also have a free-newspaper boarding area at LGA (although definitely not as nice/convenient as the Marine Air Terminal). I don't disagree that the DL one is more successful or better, just saying US shuttle is great also.

Another big thing about the Shuttle is that the planes literally shuttle back and forth. That is why the BOS-PHL flight is often called a "pseduo-shuttle"...even though it's every hour, the planes go through PHL and circulate all over the system (including Carribbean, Mexico, west coast, etc.) That means there is less control over delays, etc.

Also, DL used to have the policy where they'd pull another plane up if the shuttle went out with people still waiting to ensure you'd never get stuck...but they abandoned that a few years ago.

Finally -- one thing I will refute -- is that the Shuttle "beats" Acela. The Acela trains between Boston and Washington go out full every day. They are super convenient, super comfortable, and sometimes almost as fast when you factor in traffic getting to the airports. It's a matter of choice, but I'd say they have done a fanstastic job of stealing the customers from the Shuttles who want something more convenient and value time on the train while not needing to get to their destination quite as fast.

dtwclipper

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Dartland (Reply 15):
Also, DL used to have the policy where they'd pull another plane up if the shuttle went out with people still waiting to ensure you'd never get stuck...but they abandoned that a few years ago

This was the policy that Eastern began. An extra section was always on hand, even if only one Pax was waiting.

rjpieces

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 3):
That's strange.. I would of thought they would have the first class on the shuttle routes and all coach on the others.

The flight is very short...Besides, just about all of the regulars on the Delta Shuttle have some form of elite status so having first class seats on such a premium route would be difficult. Instead, the entire operation is catered to premium passengers and the difference truly shows. Flying the Delta Shuttle is an absolute pleasure!

Quoting Panamair (Reply 13):
The Shuttle is just about the most civilized and hassle-free air travel experience one can find these days within the U.S., especially during weekdays when it's filled mostly with business travellers. Almost everyone on board knows the drill; nobody gives anyone else any hassles; people know where to go, where to sit, what to do at security checkpoints, etc. Plus the Marine Air Terminal is so easy to navigate; disembarking is quick and within a few minutes, you are already in the taxi queue.
It's one of the few remaining pleasures of domestic U.S. travel.

Couldn't agree more. It has such a nice clientele as well. If you fly at certain times you are almost guaranteed to see very important politicians, businessmen, lawyers, actors, etc.

I felt bad when they got rid of the guaranteed seat rule not too long ago. Although I'm far from a regular on the Shuttle, as an admirer of the operation I could see why it was a nice perk.

Btw, one problem with the Delta Shuttle is the taxi queue at LGA. The last few times I was on the 7:30 DCA-LGA there was a huge line but very few taxis...I've noticed this several times now...Hopefully LGA will get on that (I know it's not Delta's fault).

[Edited 2006-06-23 16:19:23]
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

rjpieces

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:16 pm

One more pet peeve of mine...I HATE, HATE, HATE when DL F/As working the Shuttle runs announce it as "Delta flight XXXX"...Something about the "5:30 Shuttle to New York" sounds so much more elegant and classy!

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 16):
This was the policy that Eastern began. An extra section was always on hand, even if only one Pax was waiting.

Does anyone know how DL handles this now? I remember some talk about them having RJs on hand but as far as I remember they were tweaking with it...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

dtwclipper

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:19 pm

Just thought I'd add this again (an ad for the NY Shuttle)

RE: NY Commercial (by Dtwclipper May 16 2006 in Civil Aviation)#ID2773519

[Edited 2006-06-23 16:20:43]

airzim

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:03 am

BTW,

The walkup fare on the Shuttle is nearly $300 one way. It is not cheap. I take the Shuttle every week and it is never more than 50% full. Of course I'm doing the inverse commute as I live in NY and fly to DCA and BOS.

However I agree that it is the only civilized way to fly. You can show up to the gate 1 minute before push back and they'll still let you on. I also agree that the taxi situation at the MAT is less than ideal. But still infinitely preferable to the horror that is Terminal C at EWR taxi queue. What a disgrace.

You also tend to see the same cabin crew over and over. For the most part the nicest bunch of FA you'll ever encounter. Again probably because the business folks on the flights are well behaved, know the routine, and the flight is short.

See I can compliment Delta on things they do well!

rjpieces

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting Airzim (Reply 20):
The walkup fare on the Shuttle is nearly $300 one way. It is not cheap. I take the Shuttle every week and it is never more than 50% full.

I've found that it mostly depends on time. If you take a 7:30AM or 4:30 PM it will likely be more packed....

Quoting Airzim (Reply 20):
You also tend to see the same cabin crew over and over. For the most part the nicest bunch of FA you'll ever encounter. Again probably because the business folks on the flights are well behaved, know the routine, and the flight is short.

Very true...I posted about this a few months ago. I was wondering if DL had dedicated Shuttle F/As but apparantly they are just normal NYC based F/As....I assume it is a new bunch since the MD-80 was put in the Shuttle fleet.

tinpusher007

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:32 am

Heres what I want to know. Why did DL abandon Shuttle service on BOS-DCA-BOS while US still operates it. And also, why did US abandon the shuttle tittles on its aircraft? They don't really advertise as US Airways Shuttle, just hourly flights between the NY, DC and BOS.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

rjpieces

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting TinPusher007 (Reply 22):
Why did DL abandon Shuttle service on BOS-DCA-BOS while US still operates it.

Not sure about that but as far as I know, their LGA-BOS is more profitable than their LGA-DCA operation...

, why did US abandon the shuttle tittles on its aircraft?

US folded their Shuttle fleet into their mainline Airbus fleet. Aircraft flying the Shuttle runs are normal A319s with first-class seats and regular legroom. They did this to get better utilization on their aircraft.

tinpusher007

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 23):
Not sure about that but as far as I know, their LGA-BOS is more profitable than their LGA-DCA operation...

Well, they still fly LGA-DCA on the shuttle. BOS-DCA-BOS has gone to Comair. I was just curious about that. Im surprised DALPA didn't raise hell when they switched.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

OttoPylit

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:54 am

Heres what I want to know. Why did DL abandon Shuttle service on BOS-DCA-BOS while US still operates it.

Yea, you would think with all of the politicians that work in DC but live or have homes in Boston, that it would make sense. I guess DL decided they didn't want the Kennedy's, Kerry's, and all the other Democrats going back home to Boston on them. LOL

Honestly though, this thought has made me wonder before why they did that. Loads always seem pretty decent.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

mikephotos

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:45 am

I'm partial to the US Shuttle --- they use nice 319s and seat assignments.

Unless things have changed, preassigned seats are not offered on US Shuttle either.

Mike

blueflyer

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 14):
Eastern guaranteed availability, however, and planes flew hourly whether empty or full. In the event of a full flight, Eastern simply added another aircraft.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that I read somewhere that, as per some IATA regulation now cancelled, operating a service marketed as a shuttle effectively made having a standby aircraft a requirement since the carrier had to accomodate however many passengers showed up, with our without a reservation, for a particular shuttle flight.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

DualQual

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:07 am

Granted this is a few years ago now (we are talking 727's were still the shuttle airframe) but when my old man was flying the shuttle it was sort of it's own little culture within. It was a lot of the same cabin and cockpit crew and mostly the same gate agents as well. Thus, everyone kinda got to know everyone. You were always flying and working with the same folks. Call me crazy but I think that is where some of the "professional warmth" can generate from too. All the DL guys that I know that flew or fly the shuttle loved it and as is proven, job satisfaction ties in with a better experience for the customer.
There's no known cure for stupid

jfrworld

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:09 am

Trump purchesed the Eastern Shuttle in 1989
(As the financial outlook for Eastern Air Lines became more pessimistic in the late 1980s, the carrier began to sell its routes and aircraft. It organized its profitable Northeastern air shuttle operation into a separate company headed by Bruce Nobles with the intent of selling it to raise cash. On October 5, 1988, amidst a prolonged mechanics strike action, real estate mogul Donald Trump arranged to purchase the shuttle. In June, 1989 the deal was completed, financed through a $380 million loan from a syndicate of 22 banks. The new airline began service as Trump Shuttle on June 7. Its IATA designator code was 'TB')

Does anyone know who Donald Trump outbid for the Eastern Shuttle? HP believe it or not. HP put in an offer, but was outbid by DT.

This was right before HP started going to Hawaii and then Japan. This was when they were trying to "piss" with the big boys.

"America West started to participate in industry consolidation during 1988. The airline filed a formal complaint against the USAir/Piedmont merger, but this complaint was dismissed due to lack of standing. The airline then put a bid in for the Eastern Shuttle - $726 million for 10 757s and 21 727 aircraft. America West would end up losing to Donald Trump in the convoluted tale of Eastern."

Courtesy of http://www.psa-history.org/awa/history.html

http://www.psa-history.org/awa/history.html

[Edited 2006-06-23 23:17:27]

dartland

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting Mikephotos (Reply 26):
Unless things have changed, preassigned seats are not offered on US Shuttle either.

They were through 2003. Can't speak for the last 3 years...

ScottB

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:29 am

I'm partial to the US Shuttle --- they use nice 319s and seat assignments.

But you'll get more legroom (but less seat width) on the Delta Shuttle unless you're one of the lucky few who can score an upgrade on the US Airways Shuttle flights. But the choice mostly comes down to whichever frequent flyer program you're in.

Delta does have the largest market share in the NYC-BOS and NYC-WAS markets on a consistent basis. Again, this is probably largely due to the preponderance of SkyMiles members in the three markets.

BA747400

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:13 am

I have flown on Delta Shuttle from BOS-LGA and back....fantastic flights. As previously stated, they used to be, or may still be, on planes with more leg room...mine was a 737-200 i believe. There are also a number of perks such as free magazines at the airport (IE: Golf Magazine, Sports, business, etc. and free newspapers). I also believe that their departures are almost always ontime, and the other major advantage is that they hold such a great frequency of most shuttle flights that if your meeting runs late or gets out early, you can just jump on the next one. Just as someone else said, they also deplane from both the front AND the back.....all around, i WISH ALL their flights were like this!

A gimmik? NOPE! But a good deal for sure...

Mike

flyingchoirboy

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:27 am

I flew a DL shuttle MD88 when it was an equipment replacement for BOS-ATL in April 2006, and it was very nice.

atlflyer

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:38 am

What is in the snack bag?

halls120

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:42 am

Also, DL used to have the policy where they'd pull another plane up if the shuttle went out with people still waiting to ensure you'd never get stuck...but they abandoned that a few years ago.

But in DC, they seem to always have a "relief" aircraft sitting off to the south of the B terminal in case of a mechanical failure to one of the shuttles.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

airzim

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 34):
What is in the snack bag?

In the morning, a bagel.

Afternoon and evening is a small sandwich, little candy bar, crackers and cheese.

Sam Adams and Miller Light in half size cans. Although the crew tend to give two at a time, and maybe a quick one before landing. Wine too. No liquor as far as I'm aware.

goodmanr

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 3):

the last time i flew it there was no pre-assigned seating...but i've been flying the US shuttle almost exclusively now as the terminal in NY is much much better although i haven't been to the new marine air term...
USAirways - Chairmans Gold

DL4EVR

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting Airzim (Reply 36):
Afternoon and evening is a small sandwich, little candy bar, crackers and cheese.

A SkyDeli type thing?
We Love To Fly And It Shows.

rjpieces

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 35):
But in DC, they seem to always have a "relief" aircraft sitting off to the south of the B terminal in case of a mechanical failure to one of the shuttles.

An MD-88? I don't think I've seen that...

thegooddoctor

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting Flyswim (Reply 5):

The shuttle fleet was actually at one point all 737s - 738s for a while, then the 733 was added. Now they have the MD88 in addition.

I've done both the 738 and 733, both were very nice flights. The first time I took the shuttle though, it was accidental - I had a Delta ticket out of Boston that had a "connection" through LGA. In other words - I was not aware at the time that I would have to check in again at LGA...
The GoodDoctor

srbmod

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting BA747400 (Reply 32):
As previously stated, they used to be, or may still be, on planes with more leg room...mine was a 737-200 i believe.

Delta has never operated the 732 on their Delta Shuttle routes. They started out with the 727-200s, then replaced those with the 738, and post 9/11, they pulled the 738s and replaced them with 733s. With the retirement of the 733s, they put the MD-88s on the Shuttle.

Prior to 9/11, BOS-DCA was a mix of Delta Shuttle and Delta Connection service. In the post-9/11 travel slump, the loads on the route dropped and the route became all Delta Connection. And AA throwing American Eagle on the Shuttle routes hurt a bit as well.

jetstar

What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:54 am

I doubt the Shuttle would fold back into regular mainline. The DL Shuttle is more or less dominating the US Airways Shuttle to NYC, and I believe is also beating the Acela and the other (CO to EWR, AAEagle to JFK/LGA/EWR) choices as well,

From what I have read about the Acela train service between New York City and Washington DC is that the Acela service carries more passengers a day than both the Delta and US Air shuttles combined.

A330323X

RE: What Is Delta Shuttle?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:39 am

The DL Shuttle is more or less dominating the US Airways Shuttle to NYC

That used to be the case, but not anymore. DL only carries slightly more pax than US on the LGA-BOS route, though DL has a good deal more O&D pax. DL has slightly more O&D pax than US on the LGA-DCA route, but US has significantly more total pax, due to all the connections available at DCA. Obviously, US dominates the BOS-DCA market by any metric.

and part of the reason why is because it's an upscale travel experience compared to the others.

US gets a penny higher yield than DL on the LGA-DCA route; DL gets a penny higher yield than US on the LGA-BOS route. So if the Delta Shuttle is that much more upscale, they're not doing a very good job of charging for the extra amenities, which is perhaps why the US Airways Shuttle is significantly more profitable than the Delta Shuttle, due to having lower costs (much of which also has to do with US using more fuel-efficient planes, no doubt).

Why did DL abandon Shuttle service on BOS-DCA-BOS while US still operates it.

Because US was killing them on the route. BOS-DCA is the most profitable route in the US system, domestic or otherwise. LGA-BOS/DCA are in the top 10 systemwide for US as well.

They don't really advertise as US Airways Shuttle, just hourly flights between the NY, DC and BOS.

They certainly do advertise and market the flights as US Airways Shuttle, they just removed the Shuttle titles from the planes.

Quoting Mikephotos (Reply 26):

US Airways Shuttle does offer assigned seating, but seat assignments are not available until day-of-departure.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

srbmod

Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 42):

From what I have read about the Acela train service between New York City and Washington DC is that the Acela service carries more passengers a day than both the Delta and US Air shuttles combined.

Only because due to the increased airport security, the amount of time it takes to fly LGA-DCA on one of the Shuttle flights is slightly more than the travel time from Penn Station to Union Station on the Acela. Plus Acela as the added advantage of the stations being closer to the business and government buildings in both cities.

jascmil

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting DL4EVR (Reply 38):
A SkyDeli type thing?

Just took did a quick one-day turnaround on the DL Shuttle, DCA-LGA-DCA, yesterday -- breakfast snack was a raisin bagel, evening snack was cheese and crackers, a small candy bar, a little box of raisins (I believe), a bag of Fritos, and a mint. I didn't eat most of it, but I'm fairly confident there wasn't a sandwich hiding in there.  Wink

phatfarmlines

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting Jascmil (Reply 45):
Just took did a quick one-day turnaround on the DL Shuttle, DCA-LGA-DCA, yesterday -- breakfast snack was a raisin bagel, evening snack was cheese and crackers, a small candy bar, a little box of raisins (I believe), a bag of Fritos, and a mint. I didn't eat most of it, but I'm fairly confident there wasn't a sandwich hiding in there.

The non-meal time flights are listed as a "refreshment", while meal time flights are listed as a "snack" (similar to Skydeli). What time did your flight depart?

Georgetown

Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 44):
Only because due to the increased airport security, the amount of time it takes to fly LGA-DCA on one of the Shuttle flights is slightly more than the travel time from Penn Station to Union Station on the Acela.

Can't say I agree with that one. While I love the Acela, it has never once beat the shuttle from downtown DC to mid-town Manhattan in all my travels through the corridor (except in horrendous weather). I'd say I take the shuttle 7-8 times a month and acela 2-3. Both are fantastic. Especially on the DL shuttle there really is a unique "culture."
Let's go Hoyas!

WesternA318

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 14):
they were unable to sell the operation at a desired price despite lengthy negotiations first with Northwest Airlines, then American Airlines and US Air Group.

Dont forget that America West put in a bid for the Eastern Shuttle, and lost out to Trump.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

CRGsFuture

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:37 am

You have to realize, Acela and DL Shuttle cater to different people. Shuttle is for people in a hurry like last minute business or leisure travelers trying to get to DCA and BOS in a fast time to start the day earlier while Acela is done for the purpose of business that is not in a hurried rush and leisure travelers who want perks like a first class, or wonderful business section. Amtrak's Regionals are built for travelers who are willing to get from point to point in a slow pace, and the people too lazy to drive all over.

[Edited 2006-06-25 21:38:23]
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.