Topic Author

Low Cost's Comparing Themselves To Globals

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Why do low cost airlines keep comparing themselves to global carriers criticising the way they do business. It's a totally different ball game.

Anyone else agree ?

cwldude

RE: Low Cost's Comparing Themselves To Globals

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:18 pm

It's all in the name of competition! The global carriers boast about their low prices (BA with BA Connect for example), so the LCCs are bound to react!

It's just business!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:30 pm

It's not just pricing though is it.

Nobody wants to sit on a plane for 12 hours with no IFE, catering, space or the odd gin and tonic do they?

Maybe they do but i'd rather spend more and enjoy the experience. And also have the reassurance that if anything goes wrong i'll be taken care of.

What if we end up in a society where everything is so incredibly basic and of poor standard? Any company that provides a superior if more expensive service will have been driven out of business.

BA came very close to closing the door on short-haul. As one example.

cwldude

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting 74472 (Reply 2):
Nobody wants to sit on a plane for 12 hours with no IFE, catering, space or the odd gin and tonic do they?

Do you know of any LCCs that operate 12-hour flights with no frills??

Quoting 74472 (Reply 2):
BA came very close to closing the door on short-haul. As one example.

I can't see that happening, do you have a source of information?
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 3):
Do you know of any LCCs that operate 12-hour flights with no frills??

Well that's exactly my point.

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 3):
I can't see that happening, do you have a source of information?

It's common knowledge that BA 'thought' about the future of short-haul when the sh*t was really hitting the fan on the balance sheet.

deltadawg

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:54 pm

It all has to do with marketing and luring customers away from the Legacies. Now, what would be interesting would be if someone would start an airline specifically designed to tie LCC's together from continent to continent. In other words an airline that flew from STN/FRA-ATL/BWI and tied say Ryanair or EasyJet with AirTran or Southwest with interlined or codeshared connections.

I know that this is not the LCC's model structure to codeshare typically but say if an international carrier with 763's or 333's brought the two together somehow that would be interesting.

It may not work but hey looks like Virgin Blue is trying to come to the US from Australia, maybe they could tie in with FL, WN or B6?

Just a thought?
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof