7e72004

Who Will Have The Airport Hotel At IND?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:48 pm

http://wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5067817

Any guesses?

P.S. As you can see in the first picture, the steel structure is taking shape nicely  Smile
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

roseflyer

RE: Who Will Have The Airport Hotel At IND?

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 pm

I hope Radisson does not take over. Their current hotel on the Indianapolis airport property is absolutely horrible. I have never stayed in a worse hotel for $100 per night as the carpet was torn, wires were exposed, and everything was pretty filthy. It felt like someone's house that is being remodelled.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

7e72004

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:32 pm

I have not stayed there...but from what you just said i would rather stay at the Wheeler Mission  Big grin

Indy

Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:40 pm

The requirements for the new hotel are pretty strict. Is the Radisson a 3 to 4 start quality hotel normally?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

fedexexpress

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 am

I would like to see the Holiday INN move over to the midfield terminal. They have a nice hotel where they currently are.
"Its not what your country can do for you its what you can do for your country" JFK

7e72004

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:06 am

What about Motel 6?!?!?  Big grin

roseflyer

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:45 am

I'm hoping for a brand like Hyatt or Mariott. Both have large hotels downtown, but they are the type of brand that works well at an airport. Radissons usually aren't that bad, but they aren't at the 4 star quality that would be nice at the airport for business travelers.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

777wt

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:19 am

I am currently in IND for training and I can see that new structure being built for the 2 weeks I have been here.

Quoting Indy (Reply 3):
The requirements for the new hotel are pretty strict. Is the Radisson a 3 to 4 start quality hotel normally?

Market demand will control who make bids for the airport hotel, it's a way of the airport's request and would like to leave it at that  Wink

I think they're trying to attract more travelers to IND or use IND as a stopover.

Indy

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:23 am

Who are you working for? One of the airlines or just in town unrelated to aviation?

7e72004

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:41 am

With Honda building the new auto plant in Greensburg i think IND is in line to become an airline hub in the next several years.

roseflyer

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:11 am

Even with more plants or manufacturing, I don't think IND will ever become a hub. Airlines aren't creating hubs, they are downsizing hubs, especially in the midwest. I think Indianapolis is in a great position since there are a number of airlines that have significant service to the airport. US and NW both have a lot of flights, and of course there is FL and WN. IND is in a better position than CVG or CLE even though both those airports are hubs. CVG and CLE don't see much mainline service from anyone other than Delta and Continental respectively. IND still has mainline flights from all the carriers since no airline dominates. Also the amount of competition keeps fares down. IND is in a good position to continue to grow with low fares and a new terminal. Creating another hub that can't sustain itself is not what the city needs. The airport may directly serve about 4 million people when you include those in the surrounding area, which is a lot of people, but unfortunately it is one of the poorer parts of the country. IND might be bigger, but the lack of wealth is a big factor in why the airport is smaller than say SEA, SAN, LAS or PHX.

Indy

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 10):
IND might be bigger, but the lack of wealth is a big factor in why the airport is smaller than say SEA, SAN, LAS or PHX.

Hamilton County which is one of the fastest growing counties in the metro area has alot of money.

"The median income for a household in the county was $71,026, and the median income for a family was $80,239."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_County,_Indiana

"The median income for a household in the county was $55,208, and the median income for a family was $61,689."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendricks_County%2C_Indiana

"The median income for a household in the county was $52,693, and the median income for a family was $60,571."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_County%2C_Indiana

Marion County itself isn't where the money is. The surrounding counties make up the wealth. Even in Marion County the median household income is $49k. There is enough income in the area.

fedexexpress

Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:47 am

Indiana just landed a huge contract with HONDA !!!!! I think that will bring more travel for the higher ups within HONDA to the IND area. That might help those 2 flights with NWA and FL flying to SFO to connect over to Asia.??
"Its not what your country can do for you its what you can do for your country" JFK

N328KF

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting 7E72004 (Reply 9):
With Honda building the new auto plant in Greensburg i think IND is in line to become an airline hub in the next several years.

Quoting Fedexexpress (Reply 12):
Indiana just landed a huge contract with HONDA !!!!! I think that will bring more travel for the higher ups within HONDA to the IND area. That might help those 2 flights with NWA and FL flying to SFO to connect over to Asia.??

No way. There are already much bigger plants in the area and IND still doesn't have major hub status. Fuji Heavy (Subaru), Caterpillar, Conseco, Lilly, Rolls-Royce, GM, Cook, Cummins, and some others all have major operations in the area and there is still no hub (other than FedEx.) Some of those operations make the Honda plant look like a toy factory.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

fedexexpress

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:15 am

HAHAHA toy factory!!!