FL370
Topic Author

BA's C-class Seats

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:41 am

why is it on BA, there business class seats fave opposite direction? how does that work. i was always fascinated on how passengers get in and out of the seats. can someone please fill me in.

yvrtoyyz

RE: BA's C-class Seats

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:42 am

Trip Reports section would provide more insight through pictures and discussions.

carduelis

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:17 am

It emanates from packing sardines head to toe in tight tin cans! It is a mess, especially on 777s!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 2):
It emanates from packing sardines head to toe in tight tin cans! It is a mess, especially on 777s!

A mess that makes them alot of money !

fbgdavidson

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:32 am

The seats are in back to front pairings so that the space around the head and middle body is maximised. The seat is narrower at the feet than at the head.

As for getting out of window seats, well if you are in a rear facing window seat then you'll be overstepping the feet of the person in the next row towards the rear of the aircraft. EG. The person in 13K oversteps 14J's feet to get to the aisle.

As Cardeulis says the 777 is particularly ugly and when I have the opttion I go for the 747 purely for to avoid the 'Flying Dormitory'. If you get the upper deck or the small front cabin down stairs on the 747 it is fine though.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Fraser Davidson

View Large View Medium

Photo © WingFlex
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

carduelis

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:33 am

As long haul crew, I'm sure you must avoid sitting in 10A and 10K as well as 15A and 15K on a 4-class 777. The seats are not only rear facing, they also have no windows. I've been in and around the business for a long time and flown millions of miles and I've never felt so claustrophobic as sitting in one of those seats when the pax next to you has drawn across the 'privacy' fan - I couldn't even see the cabin, or more importantly even see the drinks trolley, and I needed a drink after sitting in the seat for more than a few minutes! UGH!

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 4):
As Cardeulis says the 777 is particularly ugly and when I have the opttion I go for the 747 purely for to avoid the 'Flying Dormitory'. If you get the upper deck or the small front cabin down stairs on the 747 it is fine though.

I don't understand this. Would you rather be in a conventional seat?
It's a flying dormitory regardless of which way the seat faces. In fact 'sleep' is the whole point of the exercise!!!!!!! It enables the seat to be completely flat rather than at an angle with your feet under the seat in front.

fbgdavidson

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting 74472 (Reply 6):
I don't understand this. Would you rather be in a conventional seat?
It's a flying dormitory regardless of which way the seat faces. In fact 'sleep' is the whole point of the exercise!!!!!!! It enables the seat to be completely flat rather than at an angle with your feet under the seat in front.

No I am very happy with the Club World seat, just not in the 'Flying Youth Hostel' that is the 777 is in Club World.

The upper deck is more spacious, has side bins which act as storage and a shelf for bits and bobs as well as having more bathrooms and better service. I'm convinced that unless people ask check-in fill the main deck first and upper deck later so it isn't always full. As you can see from the photo above the upper deck is more spacious and almost a private jet feeling about it.

The Club World seat isn't the biggest out there and just ramming it into an 8 across, six row deep space doesn't make it feel any more spacious. At least on the 747, particularly upstairs it doesn't feel so cramped.

Fortunately my most regular route, IAD, used to be fairly straightforward as it was served daily both by 777 and 747 so for me as a leisure traveller it wasn't much of a hardship to get up later and stroll to the airport and get a more comfortable ride on the 747.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 7):
No I am very happy with the Club World seat, just not in the 'Flying Youth Hostel' that is the 777 is in Club World.

The upper deck is more spacious, has side bins which act as storage and a shelf for bits and bobs as well as having more bathrooms and better service. I'm convinced that unless people ask check-in fill the main deck first and upper deck later so it isn't always full. As you can see from the photo above the upper deck is more spacious and almost a private jet feeling about it.

The Club World seat isn't the biggest out there and just ramming it into an 8 across, six row deep space doesn't make it feel any more spacious. At least on the 747, particularly upstairs it doesn't feel so cramped.

Fortunately my most regular route, IAD, used to be fairly straightforward as it was served daily both by 777 and 747 so for me as a leisure traveller it wasn't much of a hardship to get up later and stroll to the airport and get a more comfortable ride on the 747.

The upper deck normally is always full as passengers request it. Normally if Club isn't full most of the passengers are upstairs for this reason.

Maybe the new Club World seat will better meet your needs  Wink

carduelis

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting 74472 (Reply 6):
In fact 'sleep' is the whole point of the exercise!!!!!!!

Yes, and all my flights I've never been able to get a decent rest!

Have you tried laying flat on your back - impossible! I took a tape measure with me on one trip and I think the seat was just 19 inches between the armrests, which is hardly very comfortable to try and get your shoulders between when the seats are in the recline position! Again, absolutely impossible to change from laying on your left side to laying on your right side - you have to raise yourself from the base seat, so as to get past the restricting armrests, before 'settling' down on your other side! The whole BA Club World scenario also looks just like some mad Engineer has let his apprentices a free-hand with all the add-ons attached to the seat and video area. The tray for your glass is a joke, and bounces the glass out at the slightest vibration. Even one stewardess said to me that the tray is an accident just waiting to happen! Be prepared for a dry cleaning bill, or even better claim for it from BA!

Fortunately, when I was last booked in J, I was upgraded to F due oversales! Now there's a whole different environment! Even then, I didn't even get any sleep as I was enjoying some of the best wine I have ever tasted in years! Some Chassagne Montchachet, followed by a Pauillac Pichon-Longville with my just right rare steak. Then some absolutely delightful Warres Vintage Port with my cheese selection! Absolute Heaven! No, I didn't look back at the sardines packed behind me!

anstar

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 9):
Have you tried laying flat on your back - impossible! I took a tape measure with me on one trip and I think the seat was just 19 inches between the armrests, which is hardly very comfortable to try and get your shoulders between when the seats are in the recline position! Again, absolutely impossible to change from laying on your left side to laying on your right side - you have to raise yourself from the base seat, so as to get past the restricting armrests, before 'settling' down on your other side! The whole BA Club World scenario also looks just like some mad Engineer has let his apprentices a free-hand with all the add-ons attached to the seat and video area.

I'm not sure how large you a re but as a 6 foot 90Kg person I have not had the same issues as you! You seem to be quite Anti BA! I've found Club world to be a fantastic product and have managed to get a great sleep on numerous occasions.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:07 am

I

Have you tried laying flat on your back - impossible! I took a tape measure with me on one trip and I think the seat was just 19 inches between the armrests, which is hardly very comfortable to try and get your shoulders between when the seats are in the recline position! Again, absolutely impossible to change from laying on your left side to laying on your right side - you have to raise yourself from the base seat, so as to get past the restricting armrests, before 'settling' down on your other side! The whole BA Club World scenario also looks just like some mad Engineer has let his apprentices a free-hand with all the add-ons attached to the seat and video area. The tray for your glass is a joke, and bounces the glass out at the slightest vibration. Even one stewardess said to me that the tray is an accident just waiting to happen! Be prepared for a dry cleaning bill, or even better claim for it from BA!

Oh dear you really havn't been having a good time.

I slept like a baby to HKG last month and again back from BDA on Monday.
I'm 6'2. I know what you mean about the drinks tray, I find that most of the pax have their tray tables out with laptops etc so it isn't a problem.

Lagos747

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:25 am

Must admit, I dont like BA C class. When in the upright position you are sitting face to face with a total stranger. The BA seats are also alot narrower than other C class seats and I felt very nauseous facing the back when we where still on the ground.

trekster

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting ANstar (Reply 10):

Im 6 ft 2 and did have trouble reclining, i could not stetch out fully, was too tall for it. Loved the service though. I manged to get a few hours kip, but not alot. The footrest at the end does not move, the stand that is, so was pushing against it when trying to recline. I just reclined it a bit, put the foot rest down, and it was fine. I coul;d not turn on my side, and found there was not alot of arm room to rest ya arms. I agree on the glass thing, i did a few times grab my glass during slight turbulence, Just in case my wine fell. RE The seats back and front, i loved flying backwards, did make my head go weird when i went walkies, i kept trying to go into first instead of economy lol. I got confused. I seemed to have a better flt going backwards then forwards, and cant wait to try it again. Its a great product
Where does the time go???

fbgdavidson

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 13):
The footrest at the end does not move, the stand that is, so was pushing against it when trying to recline. I just reclined it a bit, put the foot rest down, and it was fine

It does go up and down. On the under side of it is a handle that when moved to the side allows you to move it up and down. Requires both hands as the thing has to be parallel to the floor when you do it!

Editted to say: You can just see it on the left hand side of the seat pocket on the underneath of the footstool in this picture:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Hall

[Edited 2006-06-23 22:57:08]

comorin

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 5):
you must avoid sitting in 10A and 10K as well as 15A and 15K on a 4-class 777

Even one stewardess said to me that the tray is an accident just waiting to happen! Be prepared for a dry cleaning bill, or even better claim for it from BA!

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 7):
The upper deck is more spacious, has side bins which act as storage and a shelf for bits and bobs as well as having more bathrooms and better service

I have to agree with Carduelis and Fbgdavidson. There are actually three classes of service:

1. 747 Upper Deck Club World - fantastic, totally different experience.
2. 747 Main Cabin - not the same, should be a different fare!
3. 777 Club World - I don't like! But F in a 777 looked nice and airy.

The lie-flat seats are a great improvement over the previous CW seats, but hard in spots, narrow and confining for a tall person. Hopefully the new CW will address it.

steve6666

Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 5):
I'm sure you must avoid sitting in 10A and 10K as well as 15A and 15K on a 4-class 777. The seats are not only rear facing, they also have no windows.

Really? I have a photo of a GE90 I took out of the window of seat erm... 10K in a four class T7 to EWR in April. Must have imagined that...window.

Have you tried laying flat on your back - impossible! I took a tape measure with me on one trip and I think the seat was just 19 inches between the armrests

I have a 48 inch chest and don't have a problem lying flat in the recline position. At the end of the day it's still a seat on a plane, not a $3000 bed in the Marriott.

For all the p***ing and moaning in this thread about anywhere in Club World that isn't upstairs in a 747, you'd think that BA give you a bed of nails to lie on, tie you down with chains and set about tightening the thumb screws. 48 hours ago I went from 64A on BA to Miami to seat 1H on AA to Lima in the space of three hours. I can assure you that 1H on an A300 is a truly miserable experience which underlines just how good BA's Club product is whether you are on high in a 747, in the small cabin in a 747, in the flying dormitory or even in a 767. I challenge you to fly Y class with Continental from Gatwick and dare to come back here and moan like a bunch of spoilt brats.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

trekster

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 14):
It does go up and down. On the under side of it is a handle that when moved to the side allows you to move it up and down. Requires both hands as the thing has to be parallel to the floor when you do it!

I was lucky enough to be on the upper deck. Im talking about the stand the footrest is attached to. I found out how to move the footrest up and down,. with a little help from the crew, but the Stand itself would not move, and thats what i was havin trouble with lol.
Amazing up there, really did feel like i was in a plane of 20 people. If u get a 744, try ya best to get upstairs.
Where does the time go???

airlinefreak1

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:26 pm

dear all,

im due to fly BA in Club soon , im quite confused on whether to go for 10A/K or 15A/k ?
i was told row 15 misses a window , and is slightly claustrophobic because you are facing a wall , despite having more room . is it really that bad ?

what shall i go for ? its my first flight in J on BA and its a night flight , and would rather have a window seat

help would be appreciated

regards

DavidT

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 15):
I have to agree with Carduelis and Fbgdavidson. There are actually three classes of service:

Agreed. I've been lucky enough to only have flown upper, although I'll be flying 777 to ANU soon. However, I'm in the small two-row cabin at the back of J so it should be a bit cosier.

Quoting Airlinefreak1 (Reply 18):
im due to fly BA in Club soon , im quite confused on whether to go for 10A/K or 15A/k ?
i was told row 15 misses a window , and is slightly claustrophobic because you are facing a wall , despite having more room . is it really that bad ?

what shall i go for ? its my first flight in J on BA and its a night flight , and would rather have a window seat

Are you on a 744? If so see if upper deck is available!

Also, check out www.seatguru.com for BA J class maps - they have some good advice on which seats to pick there.

carduelis

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:46 pm

Airlinefreak

10A/K and 15A/K are the seats I try to avoid on 4-class 777s for reasons previously given. As DavidT suggests, try www.seatguru.com to see for yourself!

airlinefreak1

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:55 pm

yeah , its a B777 .

seat guru says 10A is fine , while 10 K hasnt got a window ,

same for 15 A/K ...

are they really that bad ? or they adequate window seats - surely i must be able to see something outside ?

i was told by a BA cabin crew member that 15's are the best on B777 because of extra spaces ....

so what is the best window seat to go for ??? everything else seams to be standard .

regards

carduelis

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:06 pm

Quoting Airlinefreak1 (Reply 21):
surely i must be able to see something outside ?

If there's no window you will have great difficulty seeing anything outside.

BA787

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting 74472 (Reply 3):

I think itas a good idea and money is the main aim in this business. Lets face it, BA need all the cash they can get at the moment

Tom

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 23):
Lets face it, BA need all the cash they can get at the moment

How so Tom ?

BA787

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:56 pm

Quoting 74472 (Reply 24):

The fine they will no doubt recieve thanks to VS. Supposed to be ten percent of their yearly ticket sales. I realise they messed up, I haven't got a clue hoe but oh well. I think the fine could be a bit steep .

Mite be BS by the way. SA fellow A.netter told me about the fine.

Tom

And BA aren't the most financilaly helathy airline on the planet anyways. without the prospect of a fine. Bring on anEmirates takeover, but thats BS as well  Sad

tcxdegsy

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 25):
Supposed to be ten percent of their yearly ticket sales.

According to Aviation Law, the fine can be UP TO 10% of Worldwide Sales, and this means the fine could be as high as £850million.

That could scupper their Pension Deficit proposals if found guilty, even if fined 5%! And BA's traditional strike period of August is looming.. so to plagerise a famous quote.... "there may be trouble ahead"!!!
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

comorin

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 16):
For all the p***ing and moaning in this thread about anywhere in Club World that isn't upstairs in a 747, you'd think that BA give you a bed of nails to lie on, tie you down with chains and set about tightening the thumb screws. 48 hours ago I went from 64A on BA to Miami to seat 1H on AA to Lima in the space of three hours. I can assure you that 1H on an A300 is a truly miserable experience which underlines just how good BA's Club product is whether you are on high in a 747, in the small cabin in a 747, in the flying dormitory or even in a 767. I challenge you to fly Y class with Continental from Gatwick and dare to come back here and moan like a bunch of spoilt brats.

I don't think so. By your logic, you shouldn't be complaining about Continental Y either, as it beats sitting on a wooden chair.

Many of us on this thread are die-hard BA aficionados, and have travelled extensively in premier classes on BA, including Concorde, and on other airlines. More importantly, many of us have also paid cash out of our pockets for a very expensive ticket. We would be 'spoilt brats' indeed if we were complaining about free tickets or if it was an employer who was picking up the tab.

As for your comment about the $3,000 Marriot bed, remember it costs about $250 to enjoy it for 24 hours, whereas I'm paying $4,200 for 6 hours on my J seat.

As high-margin customers, we will continue to push BA to give us more for our dollar as long as it is works both ways. BA doesn't think of us as 'spoilt brats', since they spoil us silly with wonderful on-board service. BA crew are the first to admit that the current J seat is not the most comfortable, and that their new seat will be a huge improvement.

Finally this forum exists for us to share impressions, and it has been most helpful for my travel planning to hear from members like Fbgdavidson and Carduelis. . bigthumbsup 

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:26 pm

The fine they will no doubt recieve thanks to VS. Supposed to be ten percent of their yearly ticket sales. I realise they messed up, I haven't got a clue hoe but oh well. I think the fine could be a bit steep .

Mite be BS by the way. SA fellow A.netter told me about the fine.

Tom

And BA aren't the most financilaly helathy airline on the planet anyways. without the prospect of a fine. Bring on anEmirates takeover, but thats BS as well

Don't put yourself down, we've all got our own opinions.

BA have the highest absolute operating profit of any airline anywhere.

I wouldn't hold your breath for EK to buy BA, all the petro-dollars in the world couldn't manage that for them. Bless'em.

As for the 10% fine, even if it came to that which I doubt, it will be a negotiated settlement.

fbgdavidson

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting Airlinefreak1 (Reply 18):

Well your choice may be limited by the fact that row 10 are held back as 'Gold seats', so called because you can only pre-assign them if you are Gold status in BA Executive Club or are oneworld Emerald status on another airline.

The seats at the back of row 15 aren't that bad. Admittedly you do face a wall but you have a bit more space compared to the other seats and it will offer some more legroom if you work creatively that wouldn't be offered in the other seats that back onto, well other seats!

The only problem is there is a world called 'World Traveller Plus' on the other side of that wall and the bassinet positions are just by that wall. In this so called World Traveller Plus section on the night flight you may well get disturbed. Some destinations have a Sleeper Service for those in Club World where you'll eat in the lounge before the flight with only nibbles once onboard. Those in WT+ don't have this and so will have the usual trolley service which could well disturb your first hour or two of sleep. If you aren't sure what I mean by Sleeper Service then read one of my ex-IAD reports where I wrote up ther SS in detail.
RIC-IAD-LHR:UA/BA Club World Sleeper Service (Pics) (by Fbgdavidson Dec 27 2005 in Trip Reports)

Quoting Comorin (Reply 27):
I don't think so. By your logic, you shouldn't be complaining about Continental Y either, as it beats sitting on a wooden chair.

Exactly  thumbsup 

steve6666

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:23 am

I have been flying BA C and J for the last 20+ years for business and pleasure and I am trying to reconcile my impressions thereof with - no offence - what I consider a rather long list of somewhat trivial gripes.

I am also trying to reconcile my relative perception of BA's Club product being that it beats the hell out of most other airlines premium product, and competes strongly with other top class airlines' premium products.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 27):
By your logic, you shouldn't be complaining about Continental Y either, as it beats sitting on a wooden chair.

That's a fatuous argument because no-one flies passengers on wooden chairs. My point is that - having been unfortunate enough to work for 2 years for a company that insisted on buying the cheapest possible seats and was based in Houston - Continental's coach is, in my opinion, about as uncomfortable as long-haul travel gets.

Maybe I have unrealistically low expectations, but I only expect Club to be fit for purpose - never mind who is paying or what the purpose for travel is - and for comfort I would rather be holed up in an international 4* or 5* hotel.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

David L

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:49 am

A bit premature, I think.  Smile

comorin

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 30):
am also trying to reconcile my relative perception of BA's Club product being that it beats the hell out of most other airlines premium product, and competes strongly with other top class airlines' premium products.

Agreed 100%. There are many of us (esp in the US) who strongly feel service excellence is the result of chronic complaining!

Anyway, let's shake on this topic and move on to more improtant things, like watching ENG-ECU...  Smile

fbgdavidson

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 30):
I have been flying BA C and J for the last 20+ years for business and pleasure and I am trying to reconcile my impressions thereof with - no offence - what I consider a rather long list of somewhat trivial gripes.

I am also trying to reconcile my relative perception of BA's Club product being that it beats the hell out of most other airlines premium product, and competes strongly with other top class airlines' premium products.

True, it is a very good product although I feel that for some time BA were relying on the fact they can sell CW on the basis of it being a flat bed and not much else. I feel there has been some change since that feeling of maybe 18months ago with the Sleeper Service (which having tried it I feel is a genuine improvement  thumbsup  and investment in AVOD as well as a new seat altogether.

To be honest though if I'm forking out four (or more) times the price of a World Traveller seat I feel I expect more than just a flat bed, maybe not as much as those paying ten or twenty times for a First seat but hey  Wink

tcxdegsy

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 33):
To be honest though if I'm forking out four (or more) times the price of a World Traveller seat I feel I expect more than just a flat bed,

Let's not forget the other CW extras such as the Sleeper Service and Molton Brown Spa facilities and treatments. Personally, the MB Spa is a fantastic part of the CW proposition, and I only know of Virgin offering such Spa services, for Upper. Of course, it would be nice if they could expand the Spas to locations other than LHR and JFK!

Any other airlines offer such a facility/service?
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

monkeyboi

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting TCXDegsy (Reply 34):
Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 33):
To be honest though if I'm forking out four (or more) times the price of a World Traveller seat I feel I expect more than just a flat bed,

Only a small proportion of passengers 'pay four times the WT fare'. The large majority of those sat in Club are on corporate deals paid for by their employer.

At the end of the day, what the employer wants to ensure is a) the employee doesn't have an excuse to not be 'well rested' when they get off the flight, and, b) that the employer/travel manager has the ability to change flights and dates at whim.

If you are attending a conference, and travelling on a cheap WT ticket and miss your booked flight because the conference runs over time, tough titties, by another ticket. If you have a Club ticket, no problem, they'll put you on the next flight with an available seat.

As has been mentioned many times before, you are not always paying for the seat, but the flexibility that the fare you pay gives you.

Quoting Lagos747 (Reply 12):
When in the upright position you are sitting face to face with a total stranger

The privacy screen is always 'raised' before passengers start boarding to avoid this. The only way you will end up facing your opposite is if one of the two of you lower it.

Quoting Comorin (Reply 15):

2. 747 Main Cabin - not the same, should be a different fare!
3. 777 Club World - I don't like! But F in a 777 looked nice and airy.

Don't forget the old 76! I think the Club product on that aircraft is great. 2 X 2 X 2 seating, only 24 seats and right up the front! (no First Class to get off in front of you). I really don't understand when I read posts on other threads from passengers complaining about riding on the 767.

comorin

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:21 am

I wanted to slip in a few more rants before steve6666 notices!  Wink

1. Sleeper Service - nice, but just a buffet, saves BA money... how about some PJs too?
2. How many more times do I have to eat the dreaded 'Spicy Chicken' LHR-JFK?
3. Why screw up the 'refurbished' LHR lounges with hot food? It makes the whole place smell like a soup kitchen!

Raves:

1. MB Spa (do real men use spas?)
2. Arrivals Lounge
3. Impeccable Service.

Biggest Worry:

1. CW product not improving - what will they take away from us next? At $8K Transatlantic R/T, I want more!

Now, I did notice that all the poor OP wanted to know was how the rear-facing seats worked out... sorry for the detour...

monkeyboi

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 36):
Now, I did notice that all the poor OP wanted to know was how the rear-facing seats worked out... sorry for the detour...

Oh yeah forgot about the poor blokes original question!

My advice would be to go for the 'A' or 'K' rearward facing seats if you want the best sleep. (The rearward facing 'E' and 'F' seats are great for couples as no privacy screen but not great if travelling alone).

If you want sleep straight away after take off you could find it hard if in a fwd facing aisle seat as you will hear the trolleys/cabin service taking place, and also the crew will probably be leaning over you to serve the person sat in the window seat.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 35):
If you have a Club ticket, no problem, they'll put you on the next flight with an available seat.

As has been mentioned many times before, you are not always paying for the seat, but the flexibility that the fare you pay gives you.

Not the cheap I class fares I sometimes purchase! Certainly no flexibility on those, to be honest it doesn't usually bother me because I don't really want to fork out extra for flexibility when I don't need it.

I don't know how much BA's corporate fares are but I've paid around £1800 as an I fare to IAD and I'd guess that £450 is about right for a WT ticket. I'd say I'm certainly not travelling on the more expensive tickets, a few clicks on BA.com will put that theory to bed  Wink

The privacy screen is always 'raised' before passengers start boarding to avoid this. The only way you will end up facing your opposite is if one of the two of you lower it.

Ahhh, this old chestnut.  biggrin  Whenever I board I pray the person sitting next to me isn't there in case the fan is down and I want to put it up. I just feel rude shutting it otherwise!

1. Sleeper Service - nice, but just a buffet, saves BA money... how about some PJs too?

My first feeling when I heard about Sleeper Service was that it was a saving but having tried it from IAD BA must have invested some serious cash into that. The food is a lot better than anything I'd expect in CW once airborne and is a lot more civilised. Admittedly if you on a tight schedule then SS is near useless and if you turn up 45mins before the flight and get a sandwich or what-not I'd feel the same way.

3. Why screw up the 'refurbished' LHR lounges with hot food? It makes the whole place smell like a soup kitchen!

From what I've read the 'Chef's Theatre' (or whatever name marketing dreamt up for it) is rather good  thumbsup  and a genuine improvement. These are the kinds of things that made me think that BA are genuinely interested in investing in CW product, even if Silvers/Golds and all those merry folks with OW Sapphire cards can try it out too.

Will have to try it out on my next ex-T4 trip....MB Spa appointments and bacon rolls aside  Wink

GBOAC

Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:05 am

Err?! There are highly restricted Club fares too - I class is totally inflexible, for example (ex-UK anyway). You're (in theory) no better off holding a 'use it or lose it' I class CW ticket than you are an N class WT ticket if you miss the flight. In practice, I'd expect perhaps more leniency (thankfully, I've never had to draw on this!) especially if you have status too...but strictly speaking, you're expected to buy a brand new ticket. I know you were talking corporate fares (which are mostly big discounts on fully flexible J class), but just for the record…  Smile

As for all this fuss about '8 across' and 'dormitory' feel...I think NCW was/is an absolutely genius product. I'd rather have 8 across flatbeds any day than 7 across cradle seats (as before on BA) or my most recent experience of 6 across cradles on AY (yes, I know they have flatbeds now, this was last year). After being spoiled by NCW and gotten used to it, I had gotten complacent and had some sympathy with the 'well, it's not always so easy to step over someone's feet' or '8 across is a lot in business class' arguments. When I flew AY, the service/flight was exceptional as always from what is a fantastic carrier...but it reminded me just how far business class seating has come thanks to my home/most regularly used airline: gone are the days of idiots behind swinging on my reclined seat to haul themselves out of theirs. Gone are the days of Mr. Window having to wake me up to get out over me when we're both reclined as are the two people in front of us. And gone are the days of having to share one's personal space with a random strange for 10 hours thanks to the privacy of the NCW 'pod'.

I think NCW is a brilliant product as-is (thought the soft product could do with some enhancements) but needs to evolve slightly to stay ahead of the game…and therefore I can't wait for the next generation to see what that brings to the mix. If BA make the economics work by fitting 8 across on a 777/747, good for them and for all of us, I say! My most regular longhaul these days is DFW and hence a 777 and I have no problems at all with the 'flying dormitory', either in service or with sleeping. Yes, I do admit breaking up the cabin is nicer when feasible (i.e. of course I’d prefer the UD of a 747, or the Club cabin on a 3-class 777) but there's no way in hell I'd pick something else over a 4-class 777 based just on the fact the Club cabin is large and contiguous.

Phil

RogerThat

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:50 am

BA's business class is absolute rubbish. I've flown them once and hopefully never again. I got the dreaded no window "window" seat, facing bass-ackwards towards the bloke in the next seat who had to sniffle every 30 seconds. After the meal, I moved to the economy cabin right behind club class.

If you have to suffer the BA Club whatever its called class, follow this survival guide:

1. Get an aisle seat if you are on a B777, to avoid the packed like a sardine can feeling.

2. Get the upper deck on the B747, looks much better than the T7.

3. If it's a daylight flight and you would prefer to work and read, rather than sleep, book the premium economy. This has got to be the best economy product in the sky.

A few weeks after the trip, I received a letter from BA's VP of something or other welcoming me into their FF plan. It contained an EXPIRED Avis certificate. They may be making money, but they are as buggered up up as any other airline.

DavidT

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:12 am

Roger, sorry to hear you had a bad experience, and while I respect your opinion I think a (rare) bad experience may have clouded your judgement of CW  Sad. Most people who fly it find it fantastic, and I'm sorry to hear you got the bad seat on a 777! Try a 747 next time, it's a world apart.  Smile

As for comparisons with WTP, the CW seat has one distinct advantage on its own - it's more of a cradle rather than a seat that reclines a bit. It's extremely comfortable to eat, watch movies in, or to read in while half reclined.

RogerThat

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:48 am

Thank you for your comments DavidT. In reading through this thread, there seems to be a few other non-fans of BA's business class product, especially non-aisle seats on the B777.

I may try the B747 if BA are the only Oneworld carrier flying a route, but I'll go out of my way to avoid that unpleasant experience again.