Ikarus2006
Topic Author

Economy Class Seat - Stripped To The Minimum

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:44 am

I was wondering if anyone of you is aware of any economy class seat currently in use (whether on a regular or a low-cost airline) which has been stripped down to the minimum.

Any airline you are aware of that is currently excluding tables and literature pockets from their seats in order to save weight (or has tested this in the past) ?

Any other weight saving techniques you are aware of?

roseflyer

RE: Economy Class Seat - Stripped To The Minimum

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:55 am

Ryanair is probably the airline with the least of the comforts in economy. You can definitely save weight and maintenance costs by having no seat pockets, no tray tables, and seats that don't recline.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

nwa757boy

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):
Ryanair is probably the airline with the least of the comforts in economy. You can definitely save weight and maintenance costs by having no seat pockets, no tray tables, and seats that don't recline.

Don't forget no window shades!

I've never flown Airtran, but from what I've heard, you can get impression on the metal support of the econ chairs on your butt from sitting in them for a while...

egnr

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Ikarus2006 (Thread starter):
Any airline you are aware of that is currently excluding tables and literature pockets from their seats in order to save weight (or has tested this in the past) ?

As RoseFlyer says, Ryanair is the airline to look at here. On their newer 737-800s, there are no seat back tables (although the emergency exit seats do have tables that pop out of the arm rests). There are no seat back pockets either (so the safety card is stuck to the back of the seat in front of you) and no recline mechanisms on the seats.

Compare the new style cabins to the old style cabins in the photos below:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Piotr Biskupski
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Achim Stemmer

7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

miami1

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting EGNR (Reply 3):
On their newer 737-800s, there are no seat back tables

It certainly looks as if there is tray tables in the first pic above. Unless of course there is a newer seat version without them? You can clearly see the tray table latch and supports on the side.

lincoln

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting Miami1 (Reply 4):
It certainly looks as if there is tray tables in the first pic above. Unless of course there is a newer seat version without them? You can clearly see the tray table latch and supports on the side.

I was just going to say exactly the same thing... In the center of the seat, below the diagram, there appears to be a latch as well as a "landing area" on either side for the latch to hit when rotated 90 degrees...as well as the supports being very clearly visible.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

JBLUA320

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:37 am

About the FL comment-- you are right. AirTran economy seats SUCK if you dont put a pillow between the seat and your bacl but then again, an upgrade to business is cheap and well worth it. Despite the seats, FL is a great airline.

JBLU

aeroplan73

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting EGNR (Reply 3):

It would be strange to stare at the seat mounted emergency procedure cards for hours on end.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

LeonB1985

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting Aeroplan73 (Reply 7):

It would be strange to stare at the seat mounted emergency procedure cards for hours on end.

But do many people actually spend a flight just staring at the seat in front of them?
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

B4REAL

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:57 am

I believe there is a latch, but no table. Similar to exit rows on most aircraft in the USA.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

B4REAL

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 9):
I believe there is a latch, but no table

Meaning that the airline's MX can modify the seat to be that way, instead of ordering a custom seat (less cost this way).
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

egnr

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 5):

I was just going to say exactly the same thing... In the center of the seat, below the diagram, there appears to be a latch as well as a "landing area" on either side for the latch to hit when rotated 90 degrees...as well as the supports being very clearly visible.

Quoting B4real (Reply 9):

I believe there is a latch, but no table. Similar to exit rows on most aircraft in the USA.

B4Real is correct - there is a latch, but no table on Ryanair. I wonder if Ryanair have worked out the collective weight of those 189 latches...

Vasu

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:51 am

...what on earth is everyone going on about... of course Ryanair still has tray tables!

egnr

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 12):
...what on earth is everyone going on about... of course Ryanair still has tray tables!

blush   blush   blush   blush 
Oops... I know what I was thinking of... When I've flown with FR, I was in the emergency exit rows - no table in front of me, but a pop out one in the arm rest.

There is still a catch/latch on the seat back though in the emergency exit rows (I think). However, give my contributions to this post so far, I may be miles out on that too.

lincoln

Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting EGNR (Reply 13):
There is still a catch/latch on the seat back though in the emergency exit rows (I think). However, give my contributions to this post so far, I may be miles out on that too.

I can't speak for FR's fleat, but I have seen that of which you speak in the exit rows of some aircraft in the US... Now, don't ask me to tell you where, though... Part of me really wants to tell you that 11A/F on CO's 733s and 73Gs (which is the seat in front of 14A/F...no complaining about leg room) has the latch, but no table while the other part of me wants to tell you that these aircraft have neither the latch nor the traytable. (Tray table is in the inboard armrest*)

Lincoln

* Why not the outboard is a mystery to me... Putting it in the inboard, more often than not for me means having to wake up the pax next to me to get the table out for a bev service or put it away when finished.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Ikarus2006
Topic Author

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:50 pm

VASU,

Thanks for your reply. Is it correct then that the literature pocket is missing in the Ryanair seat?

And, since we found out FR do have tables, is there still any known airlines actually scrapping them to save weight?

GSM763

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Quoting Ikarus2006 (Reply 15):

Thanks for your reply. Is it correct then that the literature pocket is missing in the Ryanair seat?

Yes it is and bloody annoying that is as well.

imatams

Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:36 pm

No airline would remove a tray table... They'd give you a tray table even if it was standing room only!!!
No tray table means no place to but your coffee and sandwich wich would mean no revenue for the airline from overpriced inflight snack service... So I don't think so..

IM

ABpositive

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Quoting IMatAMS (Reply 17):
IMatAMS

Couldn't agree more.

mikester540

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:43 pm

odd? In that picture (the newer yellow one to the left) I only see the hooks-- not the tables?
We need men who can dream of things that never were. -John F. Kennedy

lincoln

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting Mikester540 (Reply 19):
odd? In that picture (the newer yellow one to the left) I only see the hooks-- not the tables?

The dark blue-on-dark blue doesn't help, but if you look closely you can see the the outline of the tray table as well as the metal (gray) support/hinge for the tray table on the asile side.

Lincoln

legoguy

Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:15 pm

If the flight is short.....does it really matter. No one really complains about bus seats not having any foldaway tables or lack of literature pockets. If the journey is under one hour then these are some good methods of reducing weight and reducing the cost of tickets  Smile
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

malmoaviation

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 pm

If they stare at them for hours, they know exactly how to evacuate, and then it goes faster, and faster = money. It's Ryanair style the whole thing Big grin

flydreamliner

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 1):
I've never flown Airtran, but from what I've heard, you can get impression on the metal support of the econ chairs on your butt from sitting in them for a while...

FL seats are not THAT bad. Their seats on their 73G's are Recaro - the same people who make seats for Ferrari. They are also 18" wide, which is generous for coach. They feel sort of wierd, but they certainly aren't the worst I've been in. Their 717-200 seats aren't as great, but still not terrible. The seats in the AmericaWest CRJ2 I was in a few years ago may qualify as the worst I've ever had to endure.. they did however have tray tables and seatback pockets, so as to avoid looking at the safety card.... a frontier flight attendent yelled at me once for not following along on the safety card... last time i ever flew F9.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

A340600

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:02 am

On my last flight with EZY I got a fresh 319 which unlike earlier deliveries doesn't have recline anymore. Good, if anyone reclined on me on an EZY flight I wouldn't be best pleased to see them in my lap,

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

airA380

Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting EGNR (Reply 3):

Yeah, it scares the hell out off me when I flew from LTN to Rome. keep thinking it is going to crash but it might be very handy in event of emergency. When I am on flight I don't like being told about safety. When I hear the word safety I think of unfortunate event which may occur and its not a good feelings to have, I guess that just me.

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 8):
But do many people actually spend a flight just staring at the seat in front of them?

I don't stare at it but it stare's at me .... Smile. Daaahhh
I'm flying without wings!!!!!!!!

lhrneighbour

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:04 am

My two Ryanair flights last week were on 737-800's. Outgoing we had fabric seats, seat pockets and tables that extended out too. Coming back our 737-800 (with winglets) had leather seats, non-extendable tables and no seat pockets.
James

PMN

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:12 am

I flew on EI-DLF when she was less than a week old and the aircraft was equipped with tray tables. In fact all the newer FR 738's I've flown on have had them.

Paul
Edith in his bed, a plane in the rain is humming, the wires in the walls are humming some song - some mysterious song

aeroplan73

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 8):

Well I didn't notice any in flight entertainment, so you have to look at something.  banghead 
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

gopal

Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:58 am

If the flight is short, Airlines can really economize on the seats so long as the cost savings are passed on to the passengers. On short haul flights I would not mind:
a) Bench seats with no armrests
b) Seats without cushions (Lower cleaning costs, fire hazard is lowered)
c) No window shades
d) No reading lights
d) seats which are not reclinable

If all of the above in lower installation and maintenance costs for airlines which result in lower fares, so be it.

thering

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:07 am

Airlines should think more about confort when the market is full of choices. See the Delta Shuttle 733, has 35''-37'' pitch economy seats, the plane is cofigurated to 120 pax total, the same number of a 733 with 31'' pitch sets and 12 Business class seats.
Now think, which of this to planes (733 Delta Shuttle or comum 733 with C12 seats, 120 pax total both) would be fully sold esier? Most passangers fly coach, so a really think that the airlines should think more about the economy class flyer.
146 319 320 321 332 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 742 743 744 762 763 772 773 CRJ ER4 100 F50 F27 M11 D10

brilondon

Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting EGNR (Reply 11):
B4Real is correct - there is a latch, but no table on Ryanair. I wonder if Ryanair have worked out the collective weight of those 189 latches...

It would probably cost more to remove the latches then the amount of fuel savings the weight of the latches would afford
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

B6JFKH81

Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Ikarus2006 (Thread starter):
Any other weight saving techniques you are aware of?

B6 is using single-engine taxi procedures to save fuel along with the famous winglet fly-off going on in Europe right now. As for weight, we are doing what we can, even looking at lighter beverage/trash carts that are in the gallies. We're not touching the seats though because of the IFE.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

bohica

Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:53 am

Would those seatback emergency cards be legal in the U.S.? I can see somebody who is bored peeling one off.

No. I am not suggesting any U.S. carrier paste emergency instructions on seatbacks.

ualcsr

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:37 pm

I flew Ryanair STN-SZG on the new 737-800. We had no seat pocket, but definitely had a non-adjustable tray table. The seats were extremely hard, felt like tough plastic, and uncomfortable, although for a 2 hour flight which cost £40 round-trip, we really couldn't complain. The "inflight magazine", which gets passed around by the flight attendants and later collected, is nothing more than a list of the items they sell on board which include, among other things, Lotto-type scratch off cards.

Ryanair is truly a unique airline that takes the LCC concept to the extreme. I couldn't believe our check in at STN was done manually, not a computer in sight, and the ticket agent who took our ticket at the gate was also a flight attendant on our flight and the baggage service rep at Salzburg Airport. All in a day's work!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos