Topic Author

Small Jet Crash Near Ocean City, MD

Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:01 pm

From today's Baltimore Sun:

OCEAN CITY // A veteran, 61- year-old pilot was killed yesterday morning when the experimental, single-engine jet he was flying for a series of classified military radar tests crashed and burned in the woods about 1,000 feet west of Ocean City Municipal Airport.

According to Maryland State Police, Charles Lischer of Cameron Park, Calif., died about 10:30 a.m. when his 12-foot, single-seat BD-5J aircraft crashed as it approached the runway.

"At this point, we don't know whether it was a mechanical problem, pilot error or what," said state police Lt. Douglas A. Dods, commander of the Berlin barracks. "There was occasional light rain in the area, but when we arrived, the ground wasn't even wet."

Lischer, a veteran civilian pilot and a nationally known air show performer, had been in the air about 20 minutes, flying patterns over the ocean so a military plane could calibrate its radar.

"All I can say is that [the other aircraft] was a military data collection plane," said Lischer's employer, Bob Bishop, president of Aerial Productions International of Marana, Ariz.

Full article here

I'm sure someone in the community would recognize this name.

I live in the US but my heart is in Jerusalem!