targowski

777s To DEL From ORD/EWR And Himilayas

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:03 am

i've heard that due to the altitude and position of the himilayas, twins have more difficulty or have to reroute around the himilayas to meet ETOPS. i'm wondering if (1) this is true and (2) how this affects AA's ORD-DEL and CO's EWR-DEL since both use 777s. I know the short lived AC YYZ-DEL used A340s.

sunrisevalley

RE: 777s To DEL From ORD/EWR And Himilayas

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:15 am

Do a search of the archives for a Pakistan Airlines thread that literally flogged this particular issue to death.
Not sure why you would think it is ETOPS related in so far as proximity to the Himalaya's are concerned. ETOPS is primarily an over water issue.

flyinghippo

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:19 am

Can you kindly provide the link to the thread? Thanks

avconsultant

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:54 am

It's an issue with twin engine aircraft losing an engine with the drift down procedure. I believe PanAm had concerns with this route in using the A310's.

It is not to be confused with ETOPS.

blrsea

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:10 am

There were lots of threads on this. The flight path doesnt go over the himalayas. It goes over central asia ->Afghanistan-> pakistan ->India. It doesn't have to go over himalayas

COEWR787

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 4):
There were lots of threads on this. The flight path doesnt go over the himalayas. It goes over central asia ->Afghanistan-> pakistan ->India. It doesn't have to go over himalayas

Correct. The flight path usually crosses the Hindu Kush over Afghanistan, and that has never been a problem for any plane.

As for Himalayas, there are restrictions on flying across Tibet in general, irrespective of how many engines you have, because in case of cabin depressurization it is impossible to bring the plane down to 7000' without going a few thousand feet underground . The plateau is about 11 to 12 thousand feet average altitude. This is obeyed quite carefully. For example, last time I flew SQ from EWR to SIN we flew an almost straight route across the pole, except for a divergence to the left to avoid a corner of the Tibetan plateau.

BTW, flight that originate or terminate in Tibet of course fly over Tibet. As a matter of fact when I flew from Lhasa to Kathmandu the aircraft was a twin (757) which flew right over Mount Everest. Can't get any higher than that, and yet it was a twin.

[Edited 2006-06-28 23:30:29]

EI787

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:32 am

Here's another thread about twins over the Himalayas:
RE: Twins Over The Himalayas? (by TGV Jan 26 2005 in Civil Aviation)#ID1924514

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos