AirTranTUS
Topic Author

B6 Officially Announces TUS!

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:40 am

I was just at JetBlue's website and they show daily non-stop service to TUS beginning September 28. Fares are starting at $129 one-way. I'm hoping that they will prove all of you doubters wrong, but we will see.

http://investor.jetblue.com/ireye/ir...cript=410&layout=-6&item_id=877057
I love ASO!

B777ER

RE: B6 Officially Announces TUS!

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:50 am

A320 service to boot. I guess all we need now is the SRQ announcement.
B6 is the king of redeyes to the east coast!

JFK-TUS
Depart - Arrive
8:00pm-10:30pm

TUS-JFK
Depart - Arrive
11:30pm - 7:15am

LAXintl

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 1):
I guess all we need now is the SRQ announcement.

Its been already out for a few hours...
http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060628/1307899.html?.v=1
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LGAtoIND

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:59 am

I hate to say it, but this flight dosent make much sense. Another expensive (fuel-wise) red-eye to a smaller west coast city, that is bound to produce low yields. I mean if CO couldnt make it work to their big hub in EWR, what makes B6 think it can work for them. Also, CO was prob more well known in the TUS area than B6 is now. Meanwhile these major markets in the Midwest are being left alone yet again, all (MSP, MDW/ORD/GYY, DTW, STL, IND, CVG, CLE, CVG...).

CALMSP

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:14 am

i agree LGAtoIND.........if htey have problems on other west coast runs, i wonder what makes them think TUS will work............

rjpieces

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 3):
I hate to say it, but this flight dosent make much sense. Another expensive (fuel-wise) red-eye to a smaller west coast city, that is bound to produce low yields.

Well I'm guesing that B6 ran the models and think they can make some kind of profit by running a redeye rather than having an A320 RON somewhere...This flight fits in with what B6 has done since the beginning--Run overnight flights instead of having the 320s sit around doing nothing. From my understanding, even with fuel prices high, they still make money on most of their transcons from JFK...B6's woes are from other problems including decreased revenue on the Florida operation, the high fuel costs, and general growing pains.

I mean if CO couldnt make it work to their big hub in EWR, what makes B6 think it can work for them.

I wonder why it never worked for CO...It was a 735 right?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

B777ER

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 5):
...This flight fits in with what B6 has done since the beginning--Run overnight flights instead of having the 320s sit around doing nothing

I remember Easter doing this with there A300's. They used to run something called the "moonlight" special or something like that. They were making runs at night with lots of cargo in the belly and combined with the pax, had a good thing going. If I am not mistaken, they all went through IAH for some reason.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:57 am

The "it didn't work for CO" excuse is trash. EWR-OAK and EWR-SMF didn't work for CO either, and jetBlue does fine.

I'm not saying this mean JFK-TUS will be a huge hit, it is definitley one of their riskier moves, but don't start with the "it didn't work for CO" garbage.
a.

skyyblue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:17 am

I hate to say it, but this flight dosent make much sense. Another expensive (fuel-wise) red-eye to a smaller west coast city, that is bound to produce low yields.

Exactly what isn't making sense to you? This flight will utilize an airplane that would otherwise sit on the ground not making money. The route is underserved and probably overpriced which is why JetBlue chose to serve the route.

The TUS metro area is home to nearly 1 million people. It also has a decent sized business community with companies such as Raytheon, IBM, AOL and Bombardier having a strong presence there. Someone also said in a post that some 100,000 people travel 2 hours north to Phoenix to get decent air service every year. Do you really think after posting a loss we are just going to start throwing A320's into cities that will make us bleed money? Give the route planners a little more credit than that. They are not as dumb as you'd like them to be.

if CO couldnt make it work to their big hub in EWR, what makes B6 think it can work for them. Also, CO was prob more well known in the TUS area than B6 is now

So what? JFK- NAS, AUS, SJC, SEA are a few of our success stories. What works for one doesn't work for all (ATL-OAK, LGB...)
CO and every other legacy airline that we compete with are probably more 'well known' in any market. We make a name for ourselves and its worked well thus far.

Meanwhile these major markets in the Midwest are being left alone yet again, all (MSP, MDW/ORD/GYY, DTW, STL, IND, CVG, CLE, CVG...).

In time. I'm sure we'll see MSP, STL in the near future.

warreng24

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 8):
The TUS metro area is home to nearly 1 million people. It also has a decent sized business community with companies such as Raytheon, IBM, AOL and Bombardier having a strong presence there. Someone also said in a post that some 100,000 people travel 2 hours north to Phoenix to get decent air service every year. Do you really think after posting a loss we are just going to start throwing A320's into cities that will make us bleed money? Give the route planners a little more credit than that. They are not as dumb as you'd like them to be.

Excuse me, but a red-eye to JFK? For a business traveller from Raytheon or IBM? Are you kidding me?

Most of these people would be taking a more convenient fligh time. And, most of these people would need connections to European bound flights (whcih B6 currently does not have) Raytheon Missle Systems does not have much O&D to JFK. IBM.... maybe. Does anyone know if B6 will at least interline baggage to/from another carrier? I could then see some non-O&D traffic. Also, I would expect that these large companies would have contracts for travel with one of the major legacy airlines.

I think that the times are aimed primarily at lesiure travelers.

Ok, so let's look at lesiure travelers. TUS loses about 50,000 people during the summer months. University of Arizona students are gone during the summer. The snowbirds are also gone during the summer (Snowbirds are people who move south during the winter to avoid the snow... usually senior citizens and retirees). I should expect B6 to only operate this route seasonally.

I would be VERY interested to see what their load factor will be next summer.

Most other mainline service to TUS is seasonal anyway. For example, UA has seasonal ORD service. UA mainline goes off the ORD-DEN route... it becomes UX only.

I wish B6 the best of luck. I have never flown them, but I like their "anti-establishment" treatment of PAX (The IFE, snack services, seat comfort, etc..). They will do well initially with the $129 fare specials. But, I can see them struggling with low yields when they have to bring fares back to a profitable level.

[Edited 2006-06-28 22:37:33]

JetBlueAUS

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:34 am

In time. I'm sure we'll see MSP, STL in the near future.

I wonder how NW will respond. Seems like NW and B6 are on decent terms since they are both supporting the repeal of the Wright Ammendment.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

LGAtoIND

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
The "it didn't work for CO" excuse is trash. EWR-OAK and EWR-SMF didn't work for CO either, and jetBlue does fine.

OAK is a completely different story because of the huge metro area it serves, combined with the fact that CO already has a decent operation at SFO. As far as SMF goes, how are you sure that it is doing fine? Many of the transcons are not profitable, hence JetBlue's announced shift toward shorter-haul flying, so what makes you think that one of the smaller cities (SMF) is doing fine?

skyyblue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 9):
Excuse me, but a red-eye to JFK? For a business traveller from Raytheon or IBM? Are you kidding me?

Did I say this was going to be the JetBlue Corporate Express Shuttle??? I was just giving an example of TUS being a 'bigger' city than most think it is. I ,for one, had no idea.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 11):
As far as SMF goes, how are you sure that it is doing fine? Many of the transcons are not profitable, hence JetBlue's announced shift toward shorter-haul flying, so what makes you think that one of the smaller cities (SMF) is doing fine?

For starters, SMF went up to 2x this summer. In addition, it's been selling at $179 o/w alongside the highly profitable LGB and OAK flights, while a couple of other markets have lower fares to JFK (thereby meaning that there is less demand and most likely are less profitable flights). And B6 just recently launched LGB-SMF; I don't see B6 launching additional service to an unprofitable city.

I agree that the whole "CO couldn't make it work" reasoning is invalid. B6 has a different product, a different airport, different costs, and will charge a different amount than CO.

JetBluefan1

skyyblue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 11):
so what makes you think that one of the smaller cities (SMF) is doing fine?

Why would we then add another daily frequency, to lose more money?  Yeah sure

dutchjet

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 5):
I wonder why it never worked for CO...It was a 735 right?

Correct, it was a 735 which probably was not the best aircraft to operate this rather long segment with (never understood why a 73G was not used). In any case, what I was told is that loads were OK, yeilds were so-so, the route was pulled, although it usually returns for atleast a few weeks each winter during the holiday weeks and the snow-bird season in Feb-Mar.

Quoting B777ER (Reply 6):

I remember Easter doing this with there A300's. They used to run something called the "moonlight" special or something like that. They were making runs at night with lots of cargo in the belly and combined with the pax, had a good thing going. If I am not mistaken, they all went through IAH for some reason.

The Moonlight Specials........brings back memories. Low fares, and I dont think you could check baggage since the bellies of the airplanes were packed with cargo.......and yes, Eastern routed the flights via IAH to allow for east-west and west-east connections.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):

You have a point, but I think that the Tuscon market is a bit different. Is there enough demand year round to make this flight work? Many claim that the airlines have not put much effort into TUS and focus on PHX......but, can TUS support a connection to the NYC area? And that CO could not make the TUS-EWR flight work (and EWR is a hub offering connections to most east coast and New England cities) is something to consider. In any case, it will be interesting to watch. I am not sure that pax will be happy with the overnight flights......but its been JetBlue's style to open new transcon (or almost transcon) routes with redeyes and pax have never seemed to object.

CO pulled EWR-OAK since it seemed pax simply preferred flying EWR-SFO - as for SMF, CO honestly could not make that route show a profit, but we dont know if JetBlue is making money on the SMF route either.

----------

I have raised this issue in other posts and here I go again: This is another long route for JetBlue......JFK to Aruba, Cancun, Houston, Tuscon are the new routes that we know about and all are long segments. What happened to JetBlue's plan to increase revenue by focusing on shorter segments?

panam330

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 15):
I have raised this issue in other posts and here I go again: This is another long route for JetBlue......JFK to Aruba, Cancun, Houston, Tuscon are the new routes that we know about and all are long segments. What happened to JetBlue's plan to increase revenue by focusing on shorter segments?

While I certainly see what you're saying, I don't think B6 management meant that every single new route was going to be a regional one- they'll vary. They've added tons of shorter routes lately- JFK-PWM/PIT/RIC/BNA/RDU/CLT, BOS-BUF/RIC/PIT. You shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Think about winters in the Northeast corridor- what happens when a snowstorm runs through? That's right, massive delays. If you've got a flight coming from AUA, you can delay it a little bit and make up time in the air if the storm is supposed to pass during the time it'd be in flight. If you've got a flight coming from PIT, you can't take off until the storm has passed both PIT and JFK or BOS.
What I'm trying to say is that B6 management isn't just going to add ultra-short routes. They have to have some variation, and lately we've been seeing plenty of that. They may not be right 100% of the time, but I think the monetary losses are some that can only be wished for by larger airlines like NW, DL and UA- all of the aforementioned airlines would love to have lost 'only' $42.4 million in a quarter. If the city works, great! If it doesn't, you can always cut your losses and close up shop. I salute B6 for at least trying something ballsy, something rarely seen in this industry in the past few years. I wish them continued success.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:26 am

What happened to JetBlue's plan to increase revenue by focusing on shorter segments?

I saw you raising that point in the past but I never addressed it.

Basically, B6 is focussing on more short segments comparatively speaking. In the past, B6 was opening up transcons left and right, but there was not much really going on in the < 1750 mile field. Now, however, B6 has launched/will launch JFK/BOS-RIC/PIT/AUS, BOS-BUF, as well as JFK-JAX/CLT/RDU/HOU/SRQ/BNA/BDA/IAD/PWM - all of which are shorter segments than cross-country flights.

While all of these routes have been launched/announced, only JFK-TUS/AUA/ CUN, BOS-PHX and IAD-LAS have been launched/announced as much longer segments in the network.

As you can see, percentage-wise, there are many more short- and medium-haul routes being started. In the past, B6 would fly mainly transcon flights and add capacity there like crazy while staying away from shorter flights. However, capacity on certain transcons has been cut or will be cut this winter (JFK-LGB/OAK/SJC/ONT).

If you flip through the routes that B6 has launched in the last few years, most have been transcon flights that are over the 1750 mile mark. However, if you look at the most recent announcements, there seems to be a much higher concentration on shorter flights (not necessarily short - just shorter) and a lower concentration on long-haul flying.

JetBluefan1

dutchjet

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 17):
I saw you raising that point in the past but I never addressed it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply......lets see if this new plan works for JetBlue.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 am

but we dont know if JetBlue is making money on the SMF route either.

Sacramento is actually one of the bright stars in jetBlue's trans-con market. It didn't go twice daily for fun.
a.

dutchjet

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 19):
It didn't go twice daily for fun.

Lets agree to disagree on this one - and lets see if two flights per day works in JFK-SMF market. Did the flight go twice daily just for fun or was it a way to keep another newly delivered A320 busy? I will admit that I am the skeptic here....but I always get concerned when an airline (or any company) announces one thing and then does another.....JetBlue is not reducing its focus on transcon flying.

galapagapop

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 16):
hey may not be right 100% of the time, but I think the monetary losses are some that can only be wished for by larger airlines like NW, DL and UA- all of the aforementioned airlines would love to have lost 'only' $42.4 million in a quarter.

But yet B6 is much smaller, AA is more than 3 times B6's size, to loose 42 mil to B6 is the equivelent to loosing 120Mil to AA (by this logic that is). Don't compare apples and oranges bud.

MAH4546

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 20):
Lets agree to disagree on this one - and lets see if two flights per day works in JFK-SMF market. Did the flight go twice daily just for fun or was it a way to keep another newly delivered A320 busy? I will admit that I am the skeptic here....but I always get concerned when an airline (or any company) announces one thing and then does another.....JetBlue is not reducing its focus on transcon flying.

The flight went twice daily because SMF-JFK has been an exceptional performer for jetBlue, one of their bright spots lately, as other routes trans-con routes haven't been huge hits and, as you mention, have been just launched because they need to put a plane somewhere.
a.

rwsea

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:09 am

So what? JFK- NAS, AUS, SJC, SEA are a few of our success stories. What works for one doesn't work for all (ATL-OAK, LGB...)

I wouldn't exactly say SEA is a huge success story. It only last year went to 2x daily, where it has remained. And BOS has been rumored to be doing very poorly. Has that improved at all?

LV

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:10 am

I remember a few months ago there was an article in Time or Newsweek about illegal immigration and it focused on illegal immigrants in the Hamptons.
In the article, it mentioned a lot of immigrants... both legal and illegal.... cross the border south of Tucson... then grab a flight in Tucson to where ever they are going.
It mentioned immigrants in Long Island tended to fly WN from TUS to ISP. Maybe B6 is hoping to tap the immigrant market... there is probably a lot of VFR traffic between JFK and TUS to cross the border into Mexico.

TVNWZ

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:19 am

I have been going into TUS a lot this year. Every flight has been FULL. I mean packed...packed...packed.

I think this might be a sleeper for them. (npi) And it may just be a start. We shall see.

skyyblue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 23):
Has that improved at all?

It did have a slow start but BOS-DEN seems to be getting better. I flew that route last week and both trips were almost full.

dolphinflyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:46 am

Why does B6 continue to add new spoke cities rather than expand nonstop service between existing cities?? I fail to understand the competitive "urgency" of adding new cities like BNA, JAX, HOU, SRQ, TUS, etc. rather than expanding service at current B6 cities. The economies of scale don't seem to make sense! Opening new stations is a costly affair.

Nothing personal against any of those cities (as opposed to a host of other potential B6 markets), but it just doesn't seem to make the wisest business sense to me at this point in time ...

rwsea

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting SKYYBLUE (Reply 26):
It did have a slow start but BOS-DEN seems to be getting better. I flew that route last week and both trips were almost full.

I was asking about BOS-SEA.

FA4B6

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:53 am

Im glad that someone finally pointed out that business travelers are the only people that fly and that JFK does not work as a domestic hub for an airline! I mean, JetBlue fails miserably at JFK and no one but trash and people going to Florida for cheap fly them! Outrageous!  vomit 

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 20):
but I always get concerned when an airline (or any company) announces one thing and then does another.....JetBlue is not reducing its focus on transcon flying.

JetBlue said its focus will be short to medium haul flights. Focus does not mean that there will only be short to medium haul routes announced from now on. AUA, CUN, and TUS all seemed to make sense for JetBlue so they re going for it. Whats wrong with that?
"Leap! And the net will appear."

jetbluefan1

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 23):
And BOS has been rumored to be doing very poorly. Has that improved at all?

BOS-SEA started off very poorly but is now doing very well, which is similar to what happened with BOS-SJC/DEN. All three routes are now very popular and have some really nice yields ($179 BOS-SJC/SEA, $154 BOS-DEN; BOS-DEN is higher yielding than JFK-DEN).

JetBluefan1

skyyblue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 28):
I was asking about BOS-SEA.

Thats what I meant sorry.

Bobster2

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:04 am

Swell. Another red eye.  zzz  Yawn.

Why isn't their name jetRed?

zzz 
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

GoBlue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:53 am

Exciting news none the less. Are we going to see any more destinations in the Arizona area? I am hoping for more Texas markets.... and finally some more mid american markets.

MHO

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 am

I hate to say it, but this flight dosent make much sense. Another expensive (fuel-wise) red-eye to a smaller west coast city

Well, the population of the greater Tucson area is close to 1 million, and most of us would do anything to avoid the 2 hr drive to that zoo called PHX. Nice airport but busy and crowded. As for being a West Coast city - its about 400 miles to the nearest coast. No wonder I still haven't found the beach  Big grin
It's better to be a little behind than a big ass

MAH4546

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting GoBlue (Reply 33):
Are we going to see any more destinations in the Arizona area?

No. 99% of Americans probably couldn't even name another destination in the Arizona area.
a.

azstar

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:30 am

Ok, so let's look at lesiure travelers. TUS loses about 50,000 people during the summer months. University of Arizona students are gone during the summer. The snowbirds are also gone during the summer (Snowbirds are people who move south during the winter to avoid the snow... usually senior citizens and retirees). I should expect B6 to only operate this route seasonally.

The assumption by armchair airline planners, and some route planners themselves, is that TUS is strictly seasonal. F9 in Denver thought so too because people from Colorado don't fly to Tucson in the summer... but, people in Tucson travel just as much as anyone else. F9 load factor to Denver averages 85-90% during the summer months. They add a third flight this week and all three flights are overbooked through July 11th. Starting Aug 20 TUS will upgrade to A318's. So, the reality is, Tucson is a year 'round market!

socalfive

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:44 am

I hate to say it, but this flight dosent make much sense. Another expensive (fuel-wise) red-eye to a smaller west coast city, that is bound to produce low yields. I mean if CO couldnt make it work to their big hub in EWR, what makes B6 think it can work for them. Also, CO was prob more well known in the TUS area than B6 is now. Meanwhile these major markets in the Midwest are being left alone yet again, all (MSP, MDW/ORD/GYY, DTW, STL, IND, CVG, CLE, CVG...).

Sounds like a shot in the dark to me, Tucson is a weak market for a one-flight excursion. We'll see, I know I for one would rather them spend the resources on higher yield markets. WN didn't even go into Tucson until the Morris Air acquisition. Just not enough business for a single flight here and there

GoBlue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:07 am

They seem to be using the "Where do you want B6 next feature, to see demand? and then investigating the possibilities... we will see i guess!

Bobster2

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 35):
No. 99% of Americans probably couldn't even name another destination in the Arizona area.

We all know Sedona because it's the name of an SUV.

And Flagstaff, Arizona is a famous song lyric, in "Route 66".

And perhaps a few of us dumb Americans can name THE GRAND CANYON.

[Edited 2006-06-29 04:23:52]
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

jetBlueNYFL

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 1):
B6 is the king of redeyes to the east coast!

I'm sorry, do you mean "Shut Eye's"??? JetBlue treats their customers better so the get some shut eye, and they are well rested upon arrival...

Expensive, yes. But, airfares are up with steady ($70/barrel, no huge jumps) fuel prices and load factors have been great still. Low yields...BS. The revenue and most likely profits are both much better than having the aircraft sit at the gate all night, being under-utilized. Co couldn't make it work to their big hub in EWR, but keep in mind jetBlue has a big hub in JFK! Also, CO is a different deferior product than jetBlue...as B6 offers more legroom/wider seats, amazing IFE and no "fake" food...I know that I'd rather bring my own mean on board, get a few bags of chips and hot soup for free than eat the crap CO serves, but that's just me. B6 creates a lot of business as well...those who normally won't fly consider flying because of their attractive product and lower prices. Keep in mind...TUS is definitely underserved. Many TUS people drive 2 hours to PHX for flights. Also, TUS is a booming market..it's beautiful there with many startup business, conventions/conferences, resorts, family and University of Arizona students.

I agree that B6 still needs to expand in the midwest but they only have so many resources to do so! They will definitely start MSP and STL over the next year...they are slowly getting out there with PIT, AUS, HOU and BNA.
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

GoBlue

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:22 am

Slow and steady wins the race.... i like you analysis jetBlueNYFL

MAH4546

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:25 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 39):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 35):

And perhaps a few of US dumb Americans can name THE GRAND CANYON.

I was thinking Grand Canyon when I typed it, but I meant in the line of cities. And, no, most people don't know about Sedona (let alone do people associate the SUV with the city), nor Flagstaff. I bet Mesa is more recognizable than either, as with Yuma.
a.

SABE

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:47 am

Nice to see a new player in my current home town... I agree, the loads out of TUS have been incredibly high lately (at least AA). And we pay $200-300 more for the same flights relative to PHX!

B6 should do well, specially with the college crowd who are looking for cheaper flights.
TUS-DFW-EZE... can't wait to visit home again!

iowaman

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 17):
IAD-LAS

Anyone know how this route is performing for B6?

jetBlueNYFL

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting Dolphinflyer (Reply 27):
Why does B6 continue to add new spoke cities rather than expand nonstop service between existing cities?? I fail to understand the competitive "urgency" of adding new cities like BNA, JAX, HOU, SRQ, TUS, etc. rather than expanding service at current B6 cities. The economies of scale don't seem to make sense! Opening new stations is a costly affair.

While many new cities are being added, which is part of their business plan, you did not research before posting. JetBlue linked the following existing cities with each other recently:

1. LGA-MCO
2. SYR-MCO
3. BUR-MCO
4. SJU-MCO
5. PSE-MCO
6. BUR-LAS
7. LGB-SMF
8. IAD-JFK
9. IAD-LAS
10. BOS-PHX

As you can see, jetBlue is actively adding nonstop service between existing cities that were not linked. This is, of course, in addition to adding new cities.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 44):
Anyone know how this route is performing for B6?

Not that great. BOS-LAS started off slowly last year, however, but now it performs very well. I have a feeling IAD-LAS will have a similar "warm-up" period.

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 39):

And perhaps a few of us dumb Americans can name THE GRAND CANYON.

I didn't know Sedona is in Arizona, and I'm great with geography! I know Flagstaff is in Arizona, as well as Scottsdale, but I would think that they're both pretty close to PHX or TUS.

As far as the Grand Canyon...is that an actual city? I've been there and it looked more like 18 miles of canyon rather than an urban area.

Did you know that 48% of Americans cannot identify the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans on a world map?

JetBluefan1

jetBlueNYFL

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Sorry, forgot to add another city pair connecting 2 existing cities to Reply # 45 in this thread:

11. BOS-BUF

Indio66

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:57 pm

I agree - I can't see all of those retirees getting on a red eye - 7 hours after eating dinner Big grin

azstagecoach

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:37 pm

Correct, it was a 735 which probably was not the best aircraft to operate this rather long segment with (never understood why a 73G was not used).

How true. TUS gets stuck with all 733 and 735 mainline tho. Come on, give em at least one NG!

CO pulled EWR-OAK since it seemed pax simply preferred flying EWR-SFO - as for SMF, CO honestly could not make that route show a profit, but we dont know if JetBlue is making money on the SMF route either

I was searching these fares last night and CO's lowest Northen California fares from the east coast are to SMF. Does this mean poor yields for the IAH route too?

Quoting LV (Reply 24):
Maybe B6 is hoping to tap the immigrant market...

Tucson is by and large a minority in the majoity city. Most of these residents are of mexican heritage but are often US-born-- and are most certainly here legally. I sincerely hope you are not suggesting that all of the mexicans in Tucson are illegals.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 25):
I have been going into TUS a lot this year. Every flight has been FULL. I mean packed...packed...packed.

I think this might be a sleeper for them. (npi) And it may just be a start. We shall see.

Thank you, someone else here who has actually flown to TUS lately. The flights are always packed for me, too.

Quoting Dolphinflyer (Reply 27):
Why does B6 continue to add new spoke cities rather than expand nonstop service between existing cities??

The TUS flight is the very essence of the LCC point-to-point strategy of analyzing thru traffic between a cities and offering direct service as an alternative.

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 32):
Why isn't their name jetRed?

LOL

Quoting Azstar (Reply 36):
F9 load factor to Denver averages 85-90% during the summer months. They add a third flight this week and all three flights are overbooked through July 11th. Starting Aug 20 TUS will upgrade to A318's

This is good to hear-- were they running the CRJ's up till now? Maybe this is a trend as AS also recently went mainline to SEA and HP/US added a mainline flight to PHX.