b6sea

Under 21 And Alcohol On Flights?

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:31 am

Hey,
I was randomly wondering what the general consensus was on minors drinking onboard flights. (If there is one?) I know that in the US, at least domestically, the limit is 21 because that's what it is on the ground, but does that change while in foreign airspace or international airspace? Also, I'm assuming that in EU airspace that it's 16 or older depending on the country, but is that enforced or not? Also, in Int'l airspace is it up to the airline or does the FAA/CAA/other governing body determine the age?

My current assumption is that, similar to cruise ships, the captain decides because he is the one in charge, but at the same time, has to keep in mind who employs him.

Thanks for the info!
-Chans

By the way, this is just an honest question, in case you were thinking that I was going to choose an airline based on this(since I am under 21 and all)...

QXatFAT

RE: Under 21 And Alcohol On Flights?

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:35 am

Well when I was 16 (3 years ago) I was on a flight from LAX-LIM on RG MD-11. The FA asked me what I would like to drink and only had the beers and wines with her on the cart. So she gave me a SKOL. Maybe she was wrong in doing so but I was offerd. But then again I did have a small gotee and I do look like a 25 year old Brasilian  Wink
Don't Tread On Me!

planecrazy2

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:35 am

I believe it is based on the laws from the country the aircraft was registered. You could fly LAX-LHR on UA and need to be 21 or fly the same route on VS and 18 would be fine.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

777STL

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting B6sea (Thread starter):
Hey,
I was randomly wondering what the general consensus was on minors drinking onboard flights. (If there is one?) I know that in the US, at least domestically, the limit is 21 because that's what it is on the ground, but does that change while in foreign airspace or international airspace? Also, I'm assuming that in EU airspace that it's 16 or older depending on the country, but is that enforced or not? Also, in Int'l airspace is it up to the airline or does the FAA/CAA/other governing body determine the age?

My current assumption is that, similar to cruise ships, the captain decides because he is the one in charge, but at the same time, has to keep in mind who employs him.

The captain doesn't care. If it's a US airline, the law should be 21. Though it's rather easy to be served if you're under 21. Where the plane is at is irrelevant.
PHX based

Delta732FF

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:44 am

I have yet to see anyone have to show ID for a drink on board. I've been looked at like I was crazy and then they got my drink for me.

roseflyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:47 am

I believe that the FAA says that alcohol may not be served to anyone under 21 years of age on board for US registered carriers, but I haven't seen the exact regulation.

I personally have had alcohol on flights when I was under 21. I had it on Lufthansa and Air New Zealand on flights out of the United States since they serve it to those over 18 I believe. The laws are from wherever the airline is from, but the regulations for air travel may not be the same as they are actually in the country. But still some airlines respect the requirement of being 21 for flights to the United States. For example on Singapore Airlines they will serve alcohol to anyone over 18 except for flights to the United States where you have to be 21. But in the end, I've rarely seen age requirements enforced. Most of the world does not care as much as the United States does and regulations are a lot more relaxed.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

ZRH

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:55 am

The law of of the country where the aircraft is registered is applicable. Therefore on a Swiss aircraft you get beer and wine from 16 on, liquors and other harder drinks from 18.

dinker225

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:20 am

Was on a UA flight from SYD-MEL when I was 19. I asked for a beer and was asked for ID. Was then told that since it was a US airline on a US registered aircraft they have to go by US laws regardless of where the aircraft is. Even on a flight between two Australian cities.
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

rikkus67

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:42 am

Here in Canada, the age for alcoholic consumption is 18 or 19, depending on the province. Living in Alberta, we have the younger minimum age...but I believe if you are travelling transcon, you have to be at least 19. I could be wrong.... then again...18 and 19 was a LONG time ago.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

CO737

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Dinker225 (Reply 7):
Was then told that since it was a US airline on a US registered aircraft they have to go by US laws regardless of where the aircraft is

I ran into this issue when I used to live in London. If I would fly BA back to the states I would be able to get alcohol but if I was on AA/UA they were not allowed to serve me alcohol (at the time I was under 21). I asked a flight attendant on AA once, and she said the same thing, which was that since I was on a US airline they had to follow US laws even if the airplane was physically in UK airspace.

Edited for spelling.

[Edited 2006-06-29 02:10:23]

longhaulheavy

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:35 am

The thing is, it's not really a US law. We only have a "national drinking age" because all of the states are forced by the federal government to have a 21-year-old minimum. It's either 'play along' or lose your federal highway money.

KL642

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:43 am

I was on a UA flight in 1994 between Dulles-AMS and it appeared that the FA's were serving beer to minors. These minors were Dutch and there was no way that they were 21+ IMHO.

phelpsie87

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:26 am

I thought the regs said that alcohol age requirements where that of the country where the aircraft is registered...U.S. Registered Aircraft=U.S. Law Applies.

Canada Mike

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:37 am

If age of majority is in question, I usually just respond to the request with "Great then...I'll just need $5 and picture ID please.."

Where there's a choice between provinical drinking age of 18 or 19, I err on the side of caution and go for 19.

DETA737

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:44 am

I flew JFK-LIS on TWA in June of 1996 and my 16 year old brother was asked if he wanted wine, I simply assumed that it was because we were flying to Portugal where there is no legal minimum drinking age. It was the one of the few things I remember about that flight, that and the what I want to say were white seats with red stripes down the centre in first class.

Airdolomiti

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:52 am

I was served wine when I flew SLC-JFK and JFK-VCE on DL - I was 15 at the time, and certainly didn't look anywhere near 21. Mind you I was flying business class, and I was with my family; I'm not sure how things might have gone in Y.

Federico

b6sea

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks guys, that's hella interesting that the registry determines the laws, not the country who controls the airspace. It's much different than I thought, which was more along the lines of maritime law, where the captain can decide rules so long as in international waters, hence marriages, etc...

Another Question: (Hypothetically) Say I or anyone under 21 was on an Air Canada flight from LAX to YVR or YYZ or wherever, but in US airspace, how would the rules apply then? Would the US law apply because it is the strictest or would Canadian Law still take precidence?

-Chans

vegasplanes

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 am

I recall putting down a few cold Buds in first on AA when I was 16. But then again, I had a full beard on that flight as I hadn't shaved while I was on vacation.

On the other hand, one of my buddies, nearly 30, was carded for a beer on a WN flight to SLC which we were all on.

SLCUT2777

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Vegasplanes (Reply 17):
On the other hand, one of my buddies, nearly 30, was carded for a beer on a WN flight to SLC which we were all on.

Oh Yes! Utah, the strictest alcoholic beverage control laws that make them the laughing stock of the entire USA!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

yellekc

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:39 am

I've often wondered on this issue too.

As Longhaulheavy stated the federal government really doesn't have a drinking age, as the issues is reserved for the states to decide. As usual the feds decided to control it anyway, and tied federal highway dollars too it. You can thank Bob Dole's wife Elizabeth Dole, Reagan's Secretary of Transportation, for pushing this through. South Dakota tried to fight this provision and it went to the supreme court, they of course upheld the continuing expanse of federal power. Justice O'Connor, who I will sadly miss as an opponent of limitless federal power, issued a great dissenting opinion. You can read the docket here

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...case.pl?court=us&vol=483&invol=203

I grew up in Guam, a US territory, which has a drinking age of 18. They had no problem serving me alcohol in the Presidents Club there. But in the mainland US it is a completely different matter. Even as a WorldClub member and a gold elite I was refused access to WorldClubs when I was under 21. I sometimes was able to distract the ladies behind the counter enough so they wouldn't ask for it, all I wanted to do was sit down and surf the web anyway. On flights between the Guam and Japan I had no problems getting alcohol, but on flights from Japan to the US they would sometimes ID me and refuse service, only in economy though, whenever I flew business class they didn't care.

Does the FAA have a drinking age or is it based on the state which the airline is based? Do airlines even have or need liquor licences to serve alcohol on flight? I know they have them for the clubs.

Even though I just turned 21 this month and have no problems getting alcohol anywhere in the US, I still think American alcohol laws are some of the stupidest in the world. If someone is responsible enough to buy cigarettes, own a gun, sign legally binding contracts, and serve in our nations military, are they not responsible enough to handle a beer?

steeler83

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 1):

I am contemplating going to London next year if I could have the financial ability to do so. perhaps I'll order a Chardonnay when I go/if I go. Although for me it would be no big deal; I'm 23. I've already had one on WN 1531 PHL-PIT...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

roseflyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting B6sea (Reply 16):
Another Question: (Hypothetically) Say I or anyone under 21 was on an Air Canada flight from LAX to YVR or YYZ or wherever, but in US airspace, how would the rules apply then? Would the US law apply because it is the strictest or would Canadian Law still take precidence?

It doesn't matter. Foreign carriers serve alcohol to people under 21 in US airspace all the time.

One thing to note that I have been told is that they cannot serve alcohol to people under 21 while on the ground. Airlines have to have a separate liquour license to serve drinks on the ground to passengers, and thus in the United States they may only serve to those over 21 and follow US laws just like a bar would. Now this usually only affects the offering of champagne as a before takeoff drink, but the laws are different. Some international carriers don't even serve alcoholic pretakeoff beverages because they don't want to go through the hassle of obtaining a license to serve alcohol in the United States.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

fbgdavidson

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:53 am

Been drinking wine, beer, champagne and spirits since about the age of 13 on BA with no problems at all.

Only two times I've had issues with alcohol when flying were within about an hour of eachother. First was at the UA RCC at IAD, was told my British driving licence was fake and given a real ear bashing by the woman serving beer. Enough to get me all red faced and have basically everyone else within the RCC staring at me and her at the bar...
Second was once I got onboard and asked for a beer, no problems until it was being cleared away by a different FA came around. She asked if I showed ID when I got the beer and then on the next drinks round asked if, 'you want a glass of milk, honey?'  Yeah sure
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

MCOflyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:01 pm

I got offered one on CO1087 MCO-IAH b/c of an idiot who took my seat. I simply said, mam I am 19. I dont want a drink but an extra muffin is fine. I got round the clock bevearge service and a extra head set. Btw, this was in economy and I had a sport coat on.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

PureKiwi

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:30 pm

I have been served alchohol since I was 13 on CX. I am 14 now and I can get a full cup of straight vodka or a can of beer no problems. I have only been refused alchohol once but that was one of the worst F/A's I've ever had. It usualy helps if you talk to the flight attendant first and get them to like you.

iowaman

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting Yellekc (Reply 19):
If someone is responsible enough to buy cigarettes, own a gun, sign legally binding contracts, and serve in our nations military, are they not responsible enough to handle a beer?

While what you're are saying is very true, with a drinking age of 21, the number of DUI deaths dropped compared to when it was 18 or 19. It's more of a responsibility issue than anything, and that extra 2-3 years makes a difference.

blueflyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 21):
One thing to note that I have been told is that they cannot serve alcohol to people under 21 while on the ground.

Thanks guys, that's hella interesting that the registry determines the laws, not the country who controls the airspace.

Many years ago when I was younger and less responsible, my sister and I were routinely offered champagne on UA's international flights out of IAD and SFO even before we left the gate. My sister is 4 years younger than me and we stopped flying together when I was 19...

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 25):
It's more of a responsibility issue than anything, and that extra 2-3 years makes a difference.

Besides, going back is just plain impossible now. Imagine the insane binge drinking that a lowering of the age limit would cause, idiots will drink themselves to death just because they legally can.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

longhaulheavy

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 pm

While what you're are saying is very true, with a drinking age of 21, the number of DUI deaths dropped compared to when it was 18 or 19. It's more of a responsibility issue than anything, and that extra 2-3 years makes a difference.

In my opinion, they should have gone the other way with age. Make it 14, and give kids two years to learn how to handle their liquor before they get a drivers license.

jbmitt

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:11 pm

I don't mind the law in the US being 21. Having lived my teens in both the Netherlands and Ohio, American teens are less responsible when it comes to drinking/drug usage.

If parents allow underage drinking in the states, thats fine with me, the kid will usually gain some maturity.

The sense of entitlement, binge drinking, and mentality of Eff the system by American youth dictates the need for such laws.

I've been served on both European and American carriers, and constantly carded to this day. I am amazed that such regulation exists for eating and dining establishments. Its one thing to buy a keg of cheap beer to get sloshed versus a merlot with dinner.

symphonik

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:52 pm

For what it's worth, I was eighteen when I tool a TWA flight from JFK to CDG. I was served. On the return trip from CDG to JFK, I was asked if I was twenty-one. So perhaps it's based on the inbound destination's laws.

That return flight was amazing. Our whole group managed to get overbooked on our earlier flight, and the later one only had standby available. Not only did we get onboard in standby, but four of us got coach, four of us got business class, and I got the one open first class seat.   

For someone who then -- and, er, now too! -- could never afford international first class to Europe, that was a real treat. Not to mention I can say that I flew a TWA jumbo before they went under.

[Edited 2006-06-29 07:53:07]

flyinTLow

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:01 pm

I didn't think that anything we learned in Air Law would ever come up again!

We just talked about it a few days ago:

When an a/c is inflight, primarily the law of the country the a/c is flying over is applicable. So if LH, BA, UA, or someone else flies over the US, then they are not allowed to give out drinks to people under 21.
Second, the law in which the a/c is registered is applicated. It is compared with the first one, and whichever is more restrictive is then applied. Hence US airlines not serving alcohol even outside the US when it would actually be allowed.

This can be seen when LH flies to Saudi Arabia. There, alcohol is prohibited by law. Hence, LH may not give out any alcohol once they enter Saudi Arabian airspace.

I hope this information helps you!

Cheers,

Thilo
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

yellekc

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:04 pm

While I love statistics as much as the next man, the fact that DUIs went down is irrelevant. It is not a reasonable to prevent people from drinking just cause they may drive. I support harsh punishment for those caught drinking and driving, but I do not support preventing (ha ha yeah right) 18-20 year olds from drinking. If you believed in this principle we can cut down DUIs and other accidents many times more by just banning all men from driving as statistically they get more DUIs and drive more recklessly, And while we're at it, lets just ban everyone over 60 from driving, this will cut down on accidents even more.

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 30):
When an a/c is inflight, primarily the law of the country the a/c is flying over is applicable. So if LH, BA, UA, or someone else flies over the US, then they are not allowed to give out drinks to people under 21.

But the US as a country does not have a minimum drinking age. What happens when countries like the US or Canada leave it to the state/provoncial governments to decide? Do you apply the strictest state or provinces law? When flying over Canada, for example, you wouldn't serve 18 year olds cause some provinces have it at 19? If airlines followed this rule, than if one state, say Utah, decides to raise the age to 25, that will apply when flying over the whole US?

imatams

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:19 pm

Same story. You're in an Air Canada aircraft, registered in Canada and as such under Canadian law. Not sure if that would be 18 or 19 then. Since AFAIK AC has headoffice in Montreal i'd assume Quebec laws are applicable so 18...
Same on ships.. international law says you're on territory of the vessels/planes registry country, regardless of where it is located.

IM

lobster

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting Rikkus67 (Reply 8):
Here in Canada, the age for alcoholic consumption is 18 or 19, depending on the province. Living in Alberta, we have the younger minimum age...but I believe if you are travelling transcon, you have to be at least 19. I could be wrong.... then again...18 and 19 was a LONG time ago.

As a side note, when my friends and I were younger, we used to head up to Canada and go drinking for the weekend. Man, those were the days!

anstar

Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Dinker225 (Reply 7):
Was on a UA flight from SYD-MEL when I was 19. I asked for a beer and was asked for ID. Was then told that since it was a US airline on a US registered aircraft they have to go by US laws regardless of where the aircraft is. Even on a flight between two Australian cities.

I had the same experience on a MEL-AKL flight with UA when I was 20. Was told I needed to show ID and if I tried to get my friend to get the alcohol that there would be marshalls waiting for me in AKL!

EZEIZA

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:23 am

Quoting Longhaulheavy (Reply 10):
We only have a "national drinking age"

I thought Louisiana had a lower drinking age (18?)

Quoting Phelpsie87 (Reply 12):
I thought the regs said that alcohol age requirements where that of the country where the aircraft is registered...U.S. Registered Aircraft=U.S. Law Applies

Thanks guys, that's hella interesting that the registry determines the laws, not the country who controls the airspace.

Wait, is this only for alcohol? I remember because back in the days where you could smoke on all non-US carriers, you were not allowed to smoke when flying in US airspace. For example, on a CDG-MIA flight, you could smoke for the entire flight, except on US airspace (which I found pretty ridiculous, considering that you were able to smoke for x hours, but not the last few minutes, there was really no point: the damage was done!)

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

planecrazy2

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:37 am

Second, the law in which the a/c is registered is applicated. It is compared with the first one, and whichever is more restrictive is then applied. Hence US airlines not serving alcohol even outside the US when it would actually be allowed.

I have a hard time believing this when VS serves to people under 21 over the U.S. flying LAX-LHR.

N1120A

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Rikkus67 (Reply 8):

What if you were on a flight from Calgary to Montreal?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ZRH

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:08 am

This is simply wrong. On an aircraft in flight always the law of its home country is applicable. So for example a Swiss or LH f/a may serve a beer to a 16 year old as long the aircraft has not landed yet even when it is in US air space.

BMED

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:12 am

What about on an ACMI aircraft, say that BA leased an UA A320 with full UA crew onboard what would be the situation there then? Would it be 21 cause the aircraft is US reg and has full USA crew or would it be 18 because it is operating for a UK airline.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

emiratesa345

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:49 am

When I flew on the Concorde a few years ago (16 at the time) one of the flight attendants asked me what kind of wine I wanted. I told him "Unfortunately I'm not of age."

To which he replied, "non-sense, this is Concorde!"

Good enough for me!

Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

757ops

Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:24 pm

I was 20 when I was non-reving in the US on NW and US and on NW one evening on a flight MSP-DEN I was asked for ID and upon showing it I was refused service! Strange thing was I was the only passenger in the F-cabin on that flight but I suppose the law is the law!

roseflyer

Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting BMED (Reply 39):
What about on an ACMI aircraft, say that BA leased an UA A320 with full UA crew onboard what would be the situation there then? Would it be 21 cause the aircraft is US reg and has full USA crew or would it be 18 because it is operating for a UK airline.

What matters is where the airplane is registered because that is where all of the regulations based on. Any plane carrying a US registration operates under FAA requirements and one of those is that alcohol may not be served to people under 21.

EWRCabincrew

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:35 am

While it is interesting to see the "pissing contest" of who got served what at the youngest age  Wink , the drinking age onboard all US carriers, regardless of the city pairs they are flying, is 21.

FA's serving alcohol are subject to the same rules that apply to a bartender serving drinks to the under aged.

I have no problem carding someone. You would expect the same in a bar in the US.

Yes, being served underage does happen and will continue to do so. Does it make it right, or legal, no.
You can't cure stupid

art

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Longhaulheavy (Reply 27):

In my opinion, they should have gone the other way with age. Make it 14, and give kids two years to learn how to handle their liquor before they get a drivers license.

I hate to use the 'F' word but I think the USA has something to learn from the 'F' place. In France, people do not generally need to learn to "handle their liquor". Many people have drunk wine with their meal (diluted with water) from an early age, so there is nothing particularly exciting or macho about drinking alcohol.

flyinTLow

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 38):

This is simply wrong. On an aircraft in flight always the law of its home country is applicable. So for example a Swiss or LH f/a may serve a beer to a 16 year old as long the aircraft has not landed yet even when it is in US air space.

When the speed limit says 130, do you go exactly 130? I never said they don't do that, but by law that's what they do.
And, unlike a ship for example, an aircraft is NOT state territory of any sort once it is in air. If that were the case, police or other security may not enter an aircraft if a drunk passenger is onboard for example without prior having permission from the government where that aircraft is registered.
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

afay1

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:27 am

Every US state, in order to keep their federal highway funds, as explained earlier, INCLUDING Louisiana, keeps the drinking age at 21. This includes recently returned Iraq veterans. The law was set in 1988, and while I am now over 21, I resent older people dictating their ridiculous puritanism on me when they all drank before the drinking age was forcedly moved up. Can you imagine someone telling the WWII generation, the same crumudgeons who forced the law on us, that they couldn't have a beer during or after their return from battle? idiotic.....

planecrazy2

Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:05 am

What if your aircraft is registered in Puerto Rico? I believe the age is still 18 there.

Airdolomiti

Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting Art (Reply 44):
In France, people do not generally need to learn to "handle their liquor". Many people have drunk wine with their meal (diluted with water) from an early age, so there is nothing particularly exciting or macho about drinking alcohol.

Exactly  thumbsup  And not just in France, but in many (most?) other countries/cultures. When you're used to having a glass of wine with your meal, the novelty factor wears off quickly.

Federico

777STL

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:25 am

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 45):
When the speed limit says 130, do you go exactly 130? I never said they don't do that, but by law that's what they do.
And, unlike a ship for example, an aircraft is NOT state territory of any sort once it is in air. If that were the case, police or other security may not enter an aircraft if a drunk passenger is onboard for example without prior having permission from the government where that aircraft is registered.

That may be German law and what LH and the other German carriers do, but I assure you it's different in other parts of the world.
PHX based