TACAA320
Topic Author

New Passport Requirements For Travel To The U.S.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Effective December 31, 2006, all nationals, including U.S. citizens, will be required to hold a valid passport to enter the United States by air and by sea. This also applies when coming from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The new passport requirement means that all travelers, including U.S. citizens, who are departing the U.S. and intend to re-enter the United States are required to hold a valid passport upon departure from the U.S.

Source http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...html?aairmailid=0606_passportsToUS
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

VirginFlyer

RE: New Passport Requirements For Travel To The U.S.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:20 pm

There wasn't already a requirement to hold a valid passport to enter the USA?

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

TACAA320
Topic Author

RE: New Passport Requirements For Travel To The U.

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 1):
There wasn't already a requirement to hold a valid passport to enter the USA?

Not for U.S. citizens visiting some countries [in LatAm, the Caribbean, and Canada]. Until Dec. 31, 2006.

I received such info from AA today.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

[Edited 2006-06-29 06:48:49]
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

CRGsFuture

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Yea places like Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas all you needed was a valid birth certificate. I thought for Canada it was effective in May? So does that mean right now no, I can get in with a birth certificate?
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 3):
So does that mean right now no, I can get in with a birth certificate?

Quoting TACAA320 (Thread starter):
Effective December 31, 2006, all nationals, including U.S. citizens, will be required to hold a valid passport to enter the United States by air and by sea.

Starting 12/31/2006, everybody will need a passport.

CRGsFuture

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks, hopefully my dad can use his Birth Certificate for Canada as I'm the only one in the family who has a passport.

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 5):
hopefully my dad can use his Birth Certificate for Canada

Only before the stated date. After that, he doesn't.

CRGsFuture

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:53 pm

Got it, thanks TACA always a help.

FlyDeltaJets

Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Just another ploy to get another hundred dollars out of every american. Smile
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

SLCUT2777

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:15 pm

This also applies when coming from Canada

Considering the amount of information the States and the Provinces share with one another (driving records, tickets etc...) why on earth do they need passports to go north of the 49th? I've long felt they've needed this rule for Mexico with all of the illegals coming across and refusing to learn English. But Canada? We're too much alike and virtually the same country!

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 8):
Just another ploy to get another hundred dollars out of every American.

Just love what funding mechanisms the State Department has, as if the IRS doesn't get us enough!  banghead   devil   gnasher   hissyfit   irked   mad 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:17 pm

Just another ploy to get another hundred dollars out of every american.

Just pure curiosity. How much is the cost of an U.S. passport ? How many days do you need to get one after applying for it ?

Thanks,

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 7):
Got it, thanks TACA always a help.

You are more than welcome !

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 9):
...virtually the same country!

Uhmmm. Don't think so.

SLCUT2777

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 12):
Uhmmm. Don't think so.

Perhaps one Province; Quebec
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

CRGsFuture

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:27 pm

TACA right off the bat if you go the USPS way its about 90 when all is said just for the passport and then if you want it expedited add 50 on for a total of 140; a big rip off as if we fill the book as a lot of travelers do we have to send it back for another 60.

SLCUT2777

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 10):
Just pure curiosity. How much is the cost of an U.S. passport ? How many days do you need to get one after applying for it ?

If you ask for expedited service (another $50 I believe) you can get in about 10 business days. The State Department and Homeland Security are putting biometrics into these as well. There is a push for Homeland Security to also help the states out to fund and place biometrics into state issued drivers licenses and ID cards as well. If this is successfully implemented, then it is likely probable that Canada can be eliminated from the passport requirement being put into place for the North American continent for US entry. I think the only reason Canada was included in the first place was political correctness and being even-handed. I already have a passport (have had one for quite some time) and it does make land crossings easier as well as at the airport and reporting to customs going elsewhere or returning to the US. Right now only 25% of Americans hold a valid passport, yet over 50% of Canadians hold one. How could this be?

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 14):
TACA right off the bat if you go the USPS way its about 90 when all is said just for the passport and then if you want it expedited add 50 on for a total of 140; a big rip off as if we fill the book as a lot of travelers do we have to send it back for another 60.

Kind answer. Thanks !

That's pretty expensive [compared with a passport in my country][around $25 plus $2 for the delivery to your home door]. But we are a poor country...

SLCUT2777

Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 16):
But we are a poor country...

Compared to your neighbors (Nicaragua, Panama, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras) your light years ahead thanks to having democratically elected governments for a comparative long time than a ruling "junta" that oppresses the people, and gets rich from the treasury. Costa Rica is a great country to be from.  veryhappy 

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 15):
Right now only 25% of Americans hold a valid passport, yet over 50% of Canadians hold one. How could this be?

Unbelievable. The State Department will have a lot of work soon.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 17):
Costa Rica is a great country to be from.

I'm proud to be a Costarican. Thanks a lot for your opinion, and welcome to my RR.

ikramerica

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:08 pm

Effective December 31, 2006,

it was supposed to be jan 1, 2006, but it was postponed due to lack of ability to get the passports issued in time.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

NZ8800

Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:58 pm

But Canada? We're too much alike and virtually the same country!

I do NOT want to be around when the Canadians see THAT one!  Wink

Right now only 25% of Americans hold a valid passport, yet over 50% of Canadians hold one. How could this be?

Perhaps because Canada has greater connections with the "Outside World" for want of a better term? The US is huge, an amazing country with loads of variety, 10x Canada's population (roughly!), about half the world's music industry, can provide a greater proportion of it's own food due to spanning warmer climate zones, can provide a greater proportion of its own technology due to a wider economic base - thus less trade needed per capita. Canada is part of the Commonwealth which among other things adds another Olympic Games type event every 4 years, it continues to maintain strong links with both France and the United Kingdom both officially (bilingual) and in the minds of a lot of its people...
I also found when I was in the USA, that it seemed many of its people are taught about only about the USA, and if they're taught about the world at large, it's how a particular country affects the USA. Just some musings on why there might be that difference.

I've been interested for a long time in the difference between foreigners needing a passport, and quite often a visa to visit the USA (although that has been relaxed in the last ten years) - while the border to the North has loads of people crossing using only identity cards, and to a point, the same to the south. It seemed to have really secure entry points in some places, and much less so in others. It sounds like this new system will be both fairer and more secure.

But I had to laugh when filling out my Visa Waiver Form when entering the United States though... among other things I was asked - am I a prostitute, am I seeking to enter the United States to commit a crime, am I a terrorist... (!)
This poor country - those dreadful terrorist attacks and the threat of more are pushing it to become more defensive and insular than ever.

Coming from the country that apparently has the highest passport per capita in the world (though stats are hard to quantify on that!), it was fascinating to see the difference.
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

markabcan

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 20):
I do NOT want to be around when the Canadians see THAT one!

Wow!! Actually, it does very much feel like the US and Canada are almost the same country. I spend so much time going back and forth I think it's great. In fact, my main credit card is from Bank of America, my main FF program is Alaska Airlines, I buy half my merchandise from the US, and I have many friends in Washington. Almost forget sometimes!

cedarjet

Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:50 pm

Every American?!

Right now only 25% of Americans hold a valid passport

Actually it's only 6%.

Oh man. Have you been to Canada? They're not like you guys at all. The accent sounds the same but in every other respect, they're very different (their new mini-me version of Bush in Ottowa may change this, however).
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

SmokinL1011

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:04 pm

We're too much alike and virtually the same country!

I'd like to take it upon myself to apologize to any Canadians who may have been deeply offended by this statment.  Wink NO, we are not virtually the same country. Canada is much more progressive and is not so thoroughly controlled by religious dogma and morons from both extremes of the political spectrum. Like most of western Europe they've definately found a more modern balance than we seem to be able to do in the US.

That's pretty expensive

Yes it is. And is it just me or do we have the most flimsy passports out there? I've lived in several countries and the passports of friends from European countries, Israel, the P.A. and Turkey are so much more sturdy and durable. I wish we'd get a much heavier-duty cover.

LS737

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:11 pm

Quoting CRGsFuture (Reply 5):
Thanks, hopefully my dad can use his Birth Certificate for Canada as I'm the only one in the family who has a passport.

You're not alone. 80% of US citizens do not have a passport, meaning the USA has one of the lowest rates of passport ownership in the developed world.

NLINK

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:12 pm

Will sure make going thru customs and immigration much faster.

smokeyrosco

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:12 pm

Quoting LS737 (Reply 24):
You're not alone. 80% of US citizens do not have a passport, meaning the USA has one of the lowest rates of passport ownership in the developed world

As a very good friend of mine told me once when I visited him in Texas:

"Why would i go abroad, everything I want is right here"
John Hancock

lamedianaranja

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:29 pm

I wish it was only a valid passport we need  Wink US Immigration wants to know, before take-off, of let's say all 350 passengers on board KL641:

are they staying longer then 8 hours, what type of document are they carrying,
passport number, expiry date, emission place
passengers: first full name, family name, date of birth, gender, nationality, current residence country
adress for first week of stay, including street, number, town, state, zip code
This is called API Plus

and guess who's the lucky person to type (when missing) all those data in the computer  Wink yes the Gate Agent
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

miaskies

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Who the heck would travel now a days without a passport anyway!? in my opinion... I sometimes even take it for domestic flights since TSA agents have such an issue with some Drivers Licenses at times.
Nothing better than making love at 35K Feet!

TACAA320
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting MIASkies (Reply 28):
Who the heck would travel now a days without a passport anyway!?

Quoting LS737 (Reply 24):
80% of US citizens do not have a passport, meaning the USA has one of the lowest rates of passport ownership in the developed world.

Regarding the first quoted question: a lot of American citizens. Because they don't need it [before 12/31/2006], and it is expensive. After such date, the answer will be totally different.

commavia

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Frankly, I'm glad the U.S.A. is doing this, and honestly feel that it should have happened long ago. A microchip-implanted, machine-readable, imbedded-photo passport is much, much harder to fake than other forms of I.D.

goaliemn

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:29 pm

You can order a larger passport when you renew yours, or you can send it back and they will add pages for free. If you want it expidited, there is the expidited charge.

Also, its valid for 10 years, so its basically $1/mo for a passport. Not a huge expense.

JayinKitsap

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 30):
Frankly, I'm glad the U.S.A. is doing this, and honestly feel that it should have happened long ago. A microchip-implanted, machine-readable, imbedded-photo passport is much, much harder to fake than other forms of I.D.

The US could create a "passport" card or national ID that would also include the driver's license info with the micro-chip installed. When scanned at the border, airports, or stopped for speeding the system could bring up the file photo ID associated with the ID number. Quick and very difficult to tamper with. Identity theft would be far harder.

Yes, I am in Seattle and it is easier in the media to find out if it is raining in Orlando than Vancouver. It is amazing how all of those storms and radar images just dissapear at the border. However, the Vancouver stations don't seem to have that problem.

I believe that the need for passports will also apply to auto travel from Canada. It has our govenor having regular tantrums recenty.

SLCUT2777

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting SmokinL1011 (Reply 23):
I'd like to take it upon myself to apologize to any Canadians who may have been deeply offended by this statment. NO, we are not virtually the same country. Canada is much more progressive and is not so thoroughly controlled by religious dogma and morons from both extremes of the political spectrum. Like most of western Europe they've definately found a more modern balance than we seem to be able to do in the US.

The taxes in Canada are no where near what they are in Sweden or Denmark or even the UK for that matter. The western European type of country you're thinking of has astronomically high taxes and are proposing new ones all the time like France's proposal for an airline tax for a UN fund that several European countries are falling for like dominos. The US and Canada (to my knowledge) have both said no to this.

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 22):
Oh man. Have you been to Canada? They're not like you guys at all. The accent sounds the same but in every other respect, they're very different (their new mini-me version of Bush in Ottowa may change this, however).

Harper is Bush's choice for PM. The PC party is Canada's version of the US Republicans, just as the Liberals are their version of the Democrats.

Quoting SmokinL1011 (Reply 23):
Yes it is. And is it just me or do we have the most flimsy passports out there? I've lived in several countries and the passports of friends from European countries, Israel, the P.A. and Turkey are so much more sturdy and durable. I wish we'd get a much heavier-duty cover.

Canada's are about the same quality. My fiancee's looks almost like my US State Department special!

Quoting Commavia (Reply 30):

We've long needed this rule with Mexico. Hopefully the State Department along with Homeland Security and USDOT can work with State Drivers Liscense issueing agencies and incorporate these same feeatures into state issued IDs. Over time this will make our ground transportation system safer, and easier for cops and troopers to find the criminals, thugs and illegal alliens, not to mention the terrorists.

[Edited 2006-06-29 15:44:52] For Spelling

[Edited 2006-06-29 15:46:03]

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 10):

Just renewed my passport, with pictures and postage total cost was $72.00. That works out to $7.20 a year or $0.60 a month or $0.02 a day. If you can't afford that you can't afford to leave the country. It takes about 6 weeks to process a new or renewed passport.

RICARIZA

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:42 pm

Considering the amount of information the States and the Provinces share with one another (driving records, tickets etc...) why on earth do they need passports to go north of the 49th? I've long felt they've needed this rule for Mexico with all of the illegals coming across and refusing to learn English. But Canada? We're too much alike and virtually the same country!

I don't even know where to start..
Yes, there are many interactions ans similarities between the US and Canada but that doesn't mean they are "virtually the same country". There are many, many cultural differences but that is not the point anyway, a passport is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer and it is a document accepted all over the world, you never know when you have an emergency landing on a different country for example or if you are on a cruise and because of weather they have to dock on a different island, having a passport might gave you the possibility to visit the island.
Now, regarding your comment about Mexicans, the illegal immigration doesn't come through customs and this has nothing to do with Americans to have to get a passport.. what's your point? I didn't get it.

But we are a poor country...

Maybe some economic challenges, but in my opinion, Costa Rica is one of the richest and greatest countries in the world.. "Pura Vida Mae"...!
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting RICARIZA (Reply 35):
"Pura Vida Mae"...!

Pura vida !  Smile

Thanks a lot for your commentaries about my country.

TANS

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:23 am

I have to say I was pretty surprised when I read that you only needed a birth certificate to visit certain countries in case you were a U.S. citizen. It is pretty strange that Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas don’t mind that – they are, after all, sovereign countries and not all Americans are angels…

I’d understand if you only needed an identity card (as in the E.U.), but a birth certificate really seems as the most inconvenient and easiest-to-forge document around…

I don’t know how much to the point it is, but in my country it costs about 28 dollars to get a new passport (with all the biometric information on a chip). They have to issue it in 30 days, but usually you’ll get it in 2 weeks. A ‘flash’ passport is issued in 24 hours and costs about 70 USD… These costs are valid from September, today they are about a third of what I mentioned. I guess we are too small to afford having expensive passports or long waiting periods  Smile

And, BTW, my brother got his new American passport from the Embassy here in Prague in about 4 days...

MichiganMAN

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting JayinKitsap (Reply 32):
The US could create a "passport" card or national ID that would also include the driver's license info with the micro-chip installed. When scanned at the border, airports, or stopped for speeding the system could bring up the file photo ID associated with the ID number. Quick and very difficult to tamper with. Identity theft would be far harder.

I have one issued by the USCIS, it's a permanent resident card.
UK -> USA

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting TANS (Reply 37):
biometric

It might be be a silly question, but what exactly is a "biometric passport" ? Is it an international rule to bear such "kind" of document ?

Thanks.

TANS

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 39):
It might be be a silly question, but what exactly is a "biometric passport" ? Is it an international rule to bear such "kind" of document ?

It's a passport that comes with certain embedded information about you. It has a chip, which can be read by special scanners and these can process the information. The Czech Republic is, in the first stage, including a photo of the passport holder on the chip.

In two years it should also carry your fingerprints for easier identification. I believe the U.S. is demanding that all those entering their territory from a certain date (1.1.2007?) carrying a passport from a visa-waiver country must have a passport with biometric data on it.

Otherwise, you’ll have to apply for a visa, so the U.S. can store the information itself. Interestingly enough we are not a visa-waiver country, but since we hope to be one, it is a good idea to start from now…

LS737

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:18 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 26):
As a very good friend of mine told me once when I visited him in Texas:

"Why would i go abroad, everything I want is right here"

And Americans wonder why the rest of the world thinks they're insular!

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting TANS (Reply 40):

Thanks a lot for your answer.

olli

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:45 am

In Mexico a passport for 10 years cost around $130USD, quite expensive if you ask me, considering our economy.

Regards,

ba747yyz

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:46 am

including U.S. citizens

Kind of pointless otherwise, everone could just pretend to be a US citizen.

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 2):
Not for U.S. citizens visiting some countries [in LatAm, the Caribbean, and Canada].

And Canadians.

We're too much alike and virtually the same country!

Yup

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 13):
Perhaps one Province; Quebec

Smile

Because Americans never leave their own country, or if they do it is only to Canada.

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 33):
The taxes in Canada are no where near what they are in Sweden or Denmark or even the UK for that matter

Incorrect the UK pays less income tax than Canadians and the more money you make the more Canadians pay more than Brits in taxes.

Gr8Circle

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:51 am

Well, do keep in mind that a birth certificate or other ID's can be forged easily by those who intend harm to the country.....Passports, and more importantly, the machine readable PP's that the US and Canada are moving towards, will not be so easy to tamper with.....

TACAA320
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting BA747YYZ (Reply 44):
including U.S. citizens

Quoting BA747YYZ (Reply 44):
Kind of pointless

That´s what the link says...

rdwootty

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:32 am

This shows again the Fortress America syndrome... We are BIG so we dont need a passport to travel. What other country has the audacitiy to do this.........None so get a buck from your back pocket and get a proper travel document ( a passport!!)By the way am US citizen will have to have a passport to get on a cruise so it is not just flights.....

goaliemn

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 47):
This shows again the Fortress America syndrome... We are BIG so we dont need a passport to travel. What other country has the audacitiy to do this.........

Um.. I think it has to do with the fact we have the largest unprotected border on the face of the planet with Canada. I have relatives that own farm land on both sides of the border. Its a friendly arrangement that has existed for decades with acouple of friendly nations.

The other country that has the audacity to do this is Canada. Canadians don't need a passport to enter the US either. So would this be a "Fortress North America syndrome?"

highpeaklad

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 33):
The taxes in Canada are no where near what they are in Sweden or Denmark or even the UK for that matter

Payroll taxes in the UK are approximately the same as the US. And you get free healthcare included in that.

(assuming a two person household income of $70000 )

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !