dc10s4ever

RUMOUR: UA/CO Merger In The Works?

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:49 pm

A good friend who is in senior management with UA has told me theat Bethune and Tilton have been talking merger. Last week the two played a round of Golf in New Jersey then sat down and talked numbers for quite some time.

nateDAL

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:50 pm

Bethune no longer works for CO.

A merger would be horrible, IMO.
Set Love Free

nycflyer

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:58 pm

This is a rumor. The title of your thread is very misleading. An exec and a former exec playing golf and talking business happens everyday and is not news.

AirframeAS

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Thread starter):
A good friend who is in senior management with UA has told me theat Bethune and Tilton have been talking merger.

Yeah right!!! Bethune doesnt work for CO anymore and has no control over a thing.

Quoting NateDAL (Reply 1):
A merger would be horrible, IMO.

checkmark 

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 2):
The title of your thread is very misleading.

checkmark 

I move for deletion of this thread...seriously!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

MalpensaSFO

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 pm

The merger would make sense. Both airlines would benefit greatly. The possibilities leave many of the other airlines, namely American Airlines out in the cold. One airline flying Chicago to Tokyo, Hong Kong to Newark, San Francisco to Sydney, Paris to Houston, Kuwait to Washington. United and Continental would serve all of the major premium international routes inclusive of:

Houston to London
Houston to Sao Paulo/Rio de Janeiro
Houston to Tokyo
New York to London
New York to Delhi
New York to Peking
New York to Sao Paulo
New York to Tel Aviv
New York to Tokyo
Los Angeles to London
Los Angeles to Sydney
Los Angeles to Tokyo
San Francisco to London
San Francisco to Hong Kong
San Francisco to Tokyo

However, the synergies of the routes would most likely come at the expense of Cleveland, Denver, and Washington D.C. At this point we can all be happy with the idea, but until the ink is on the paper, dont hold you breath. One good thing is that good old AA' would get kicked to the curb.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

goCOgo

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:03 pm

Bethune has long said that UA and CO were good candidates (which I agree: CO's European network, AirMike, and strong NYC presence, combined with UA's Pacific network, LHR access, and *A would be good), but as has been said, Bethune no longer is a part of CO. Plus, there are a number of issues to a merger: (1) Hub overlap (ORD/CLE & EWR/IAD), (2) Fleet commonality, or lack thereof (737NG/A320, 747s), and (3) Engine commonality, or, again, lack thereof (GE v PW). This rumor has been going a long time.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

worldtraveler

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:37 pm

And the best reason is that UA is not in bankruptcy but is also not consistently profitable. It would be very hard to combine to combine two airlines that are not in bankruptcy, esp. when one of them has the potential to drag down the whole netwok.

It is very doubtful that UA will combine with anyone until it goes into bankruptcy again. And by that point, DL probably will be a more compelling merger partner than CO. If DL continues its transformation as successfully as it is doing so far, it will probably be a more profitable airline and have a stronger balance sheet than CO as well as being larger. In competing proposals, investors will go with the larger and stronger company when it comes to lending money which will certainly be necessary to facilitate consolidation among the big six US airlines.

lincoln

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 4):
However, the synergies of the routes would most likely come at the expense of Cleveland, Denver, and Washington D.C. At this point we can all be happy with the idea, but until the ink is on the paper, dont hold you breath. One good thing is that good old AA' would get kicked to the curb.

Not that I think a merger would be a good idea, but if it had to happen, I'd much rather see CO partner with UA.

It's interesting to note that the Cleveland was formerly a United hub (pre-Continental) and Denver was formerly a Continental hub (I beleive simultaneously with UA)...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

azstagecoach

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:40 pm

someone pointed out the labor issues involved in another thread. can someone explain how the union seniority would work in a merged UA/CO? I believe it has to do with the age of the contract?

flyboyaz

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:41 pm

I don't see how it could happen since the merger with UA/US was turned down...CO is bigger...the new airline would dominate too much of the air system in the US!
Catch a ride on a smile!

slider

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 pm

A good friend who is in senior management with UA has told me theat Bethune and Tilton have been talking merger. Last week the two played a round of Golf in New Jersey then sat down and talked numbers for quite some time.

GASP!!!

Not golfing together!! Egads!!

BTW, they were golfing at Liberty National I believe, the new course. Big grin

PhilSquares

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:51 pm

Can someone say "insider trading". No "senior management" would ever divluge anything like.

But, I have a friend, who has a sister, who knows this guy.......
Fly fast, live slow

flight7e7

Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:52 pm

United needs to stay alone. They have not by any stretch of the imagination come much further financially than they were before bankruptcy.

Continental is a gem in the mix. They DO HAVE IT RIGHT....and maybe DL will come around again to the great A/L it once was. However, UA is mired in it's old ways...and for the love of pete, let's hope that the boys in the boardroom never drag CO down from it's lofty perch....on top of the world in service and strength from the standpoint of any US trunk carrier. They have (CO) earned boasting and gloating rights.....on the basis of hard work and delivering a product and service far superior to their home turf competitors.

Stay in ORD and dig deeper into the black hole you are in already, UA.

Cheers  frown 

United_fan

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:00 am

At the very least thier fleets are not common (ie engine types)
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

commavia

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:01 am

Why on earth would nearly-profitable, innovative, globally-focused, globally-respected Continental want to merge with United?

dc10s4ever

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 16):
Continental want to merge with United?

Market Share, Asain Market.

antoniemey

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:09 am

Why on earth would nearly-profitable, innovative, globally-focused, globally-respected Continental want to merge with United?

That's what I keep asking, but no one here seems to listen. I can tell you that I believe, though without handing out surveys I have no rpoof, that most CO employees would rather stay as far away from a merger with any other major airline as possible.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

commavia

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Reply 18):
Market Share, Asain Market.

If Continental was smart (and they clearly are) they would stick to their strategy of linking their U.S. hubs (mostly EWR) with Asian points using long-range, very popular, and right-sized 777s, rather than throwing it in with United, which -- while, admittedly, producing a strong Asia-Pacific network -- would also cost Continental billions in integration and ruin employee morale.

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 19):
That's what I keep asking, but no one here seems to listen. I can tell you that I believe, though without handing out surveys I have no rpoof, that most CO employees would rather stay as far away from a merger with any other major airline as possible.

Absolutely, I think that is a given. Continental's employees, at least in my estimation, stand to gain virtually nothing from a Continental-United tie-up.

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 8):
can someone explain how the union seniority would work in a merged UA/CO?

It'd be kinda like the Trojan War.
E pur si muove -Galileo

ord

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 9):
I don't see how it could happen since the merger with UA/US was turned down...CO is bigger...the new airline would dominate too much of the air system in the US!

The UA/US merger was turned down pre-9/11 (actually UA backed out of the deal first). It has been said that in today's environment a merger would be more likely to get approval (of course not guaranteed).

As for domination, a UA/CO combo would be #1 in terms of passengers, but only carry 12.6% more pax than AA (based on January 2006 numbers). That compares to #1 AA now carrying 13.7% more pax than #2 Southwest (and 32.9% more pax than the next-largest legacy carrier in terms of pax, Delta).

uaord2000

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:22 am

Didn't the UA CEO and PanAm CEO agree to the selling of PanAm's Pacific routes over a game of golf?

-J  Smile

uaord2000

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:24 am

And one would be naive to think that Bethune has nothing to do with Continental anymore.

-J

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:28 am

Is this rumor from your same source as the UA 777-300 purchase?

Don't post until you have real news.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

airmailer

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 21):
Quoting Azstagecoach (Reply 8):
can someone explain how the union seniority would work in a merged UA/CO?

It'd be kinda like the Trojan War.

checkmark  Basically.  rotfl 

travatl

I love how these types of threads always start with "a good friend in senior management", or "a highly reliable source", or "a very senior captain", or "a friend in training", the list goes on and on. YAWN - I've worked in this industry long enough not to believe anything until the paint's dried....

- Travis

BMIFlyer

In the current climate, I just can't see it happening, not while UA is still losing money, and CO is making a profit  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

BA787

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 10):
Not golfing together!! Egads!!

Do that over here and lawsuits begin to be filed. Miserable sods at VS

Not a bad idea. Would prefer CO and AA. Which alliance would they go to?

Tom

antoniemey

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting UAORD2000 (Reply 24):
And one would be naive to think that Bethune has nothing to do with Continental anymore.

He has no legal authority at CO. He may advise Kellner on things related to the "Go Forward Plan", but I've seen no evidence other than rumor that any merger will happen between UA and CO. And I know enough CO employees to know that they haven't gotten anything substantial on the matter either, and certainly the ones in BNA wouldn't welcome it.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

ARGinLON

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:40 am

This is my favourite topic here discussed over and over without serious/actual sources.

This should be deleted.

joeman

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:43 am

...and yes, the obligatory CLE "hub" closure comment so traditional with any CO/UA merger discussion.

airzim

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:45 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 17):
The only thing pathetic was your response to a persons stated opinion. The whole point of this forum is to discuss civil aviation, and most discussions are a combination of opinion and fact. I suggest you re-examine why you even come here.

How sweet. Defending Worldtraveler by defending the integrity of this forum. How sad really. One correction, his views are 100% opinion and 0% fact. That's his problem.

Don't you think Worldtraveler sounds exactly like Singapore_Air with a different airline? At least he doesn't sign off Delta Air Line, Inc., We love to fly and it shows!

uaord2000

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:50 am

Seriously people. I cant believe how many rumors about UA/CO merger i have heard. Lets wait until something is official.

-J

mopac

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:53 am

Bethune and Tilton have been talking merger. Last week the two played a round of Golf in New Jersey then sat down and talked numbers for quite some time.

Wait a minute... Gordon doesn't play golf!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeeTheWorld

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 6):
It is very doubtful that UA will combine with anyone until it goes into bankruptcy again. And by that point, DL probably will be a more compelling merger partner than CO. If DL continues its transformation as successfully as it is doing so far, it will probably be a more profitable airline and have a stronger balance sheet than CO as well as being larger. In competing proposals, investors will go with the larger and stronger company when it comes to lending money which will certainly be necessary to facilitate consolidation among the big six US airlines.

It's comments like that that destroy the credibility of most of your posts, regardless of their content.

SeeTheWorld

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting MoPac (Reply 35):

Ok, now if that's true ... how FUNNY!!

UAL777UK

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting MoPac (Reply 35):

thats brilliant!  rotfl 

All jokes aside, assuming this deal did happen, why does everybody assume they will be merged into one company. look at AF/KLM..two separate companies, owned by AF, working on schedules etc together but not creating the problems that pulling all the staff together, Unions etc would create.

ord

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 28):
In the current climate, I just can't see it happening, not while UA is still losing money, and CO is making a profit

Actually, the fact that UA is losing money makes it more likely they will be looking to merge.

masseybrown

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 37):
Ok, now if that's true ... how FUNNY!!

Google source says that he enjoys golf but isn't any good at it.

[Edited 2006-06-29 18:43:07]

[Edited 2006-06-29 18:43:54]

MalpensaSFO

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:44 am

Heathrow, Sydney, Ho Chi Minh, Seoul, Osaka, Shanghai, Bangkok, Singapore, Taipei, Melbourne, Kuwait..

SFO Hub
IAD Hub
DEN Hub
LAX Hub
ORD Hub
JFK Focus City
NRT Focus City
HNL Focus City

Quoting Commavia (Reply 20):
would also cost Continental billions in integration and ruin employee morale.

Has that stopped a merger of any airline in the past?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

turnit56N

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:46 am

A while back when UA was in bankruptcy there were reports that a few different parties (including an investing company headed by Bethune) were interested in acquiring UAL Corporation, the holding company that owns UAL and Ted. Bethune may be retired from CO, but he's still involved in other airline-related deals. It's entirely possible that a meeting between Bethune and Tilton had nothing to do with CO.

CO's actual CEO, Larry Kellner, has said publicly that CO is not looking to merge with anyone. The airline's rapid recent growth is in part an effort to keep that from happening. While CO does not want to merge with anyone, a merger of two other large network carriers would force them to merge in order to remain competitive. At this point, CO doesn't have the ability to compete with a DL/NW or other similar merger. So I wouldn't expect to see CO merge with anyone unless two other large legacies end up merging first.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

ua777222

Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:58 am

Has anyone ever thought about the fact that CO own's almost no aircraft of it's own? UA's major finance issue was lease agreements and because of this you saw 4yr old T7's in the desert. They go to RG..... whooops where are they? Maybe not a direct link but getting into a pit that you just climbed out of is never a smart idea. They're in the safe right now. Just play it safe UA...

My  twocents 

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

mcdu

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:07 am

CALite, Peanuts Fares and various other death door nails laid into the twice Bankrupt CAL. So your point is? UAL is on a strong return path despite what you amateurs think. With close to 5 billion in the bank UAL is positioning itself to be a purchaser of strategic advantage. If you care to read the recent WSJ report and if you care to listen to Tilton speak, you will find your answers. UAL is awaiting the outcome of the DL/NW BK process. If DL/NW merge then UAL will act. If not then perhaps UA and DL will become dance partners. Finally Tilton has said he wants to position UAL to be an acquiring carrier if it is RIGHT for the corporation.

As a 20+year veteran pilot for UAL it pains me to see the types of irresponsible writing that many put on this forum. I certainly hope it is just a bunch of underage children that have little or no world experience or knowledge that post such things. But I have a suspicion it may very well be the overinflated literally and physically armchair quarterbacks that think they know everything about aviation because they rode in the back of an airplane last year.

georgiaame

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:13 am

But then, "Continental United" does a nice ring to it... Or even "United Continental Express", but you would probably need a 787-10 rather than an RJ to fit it all on the fuselage.

I'm sure the merger is as eminent as that Delta-Northwest deal that's in the works.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

airzim

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
CALite, Peanuts Fares and various other death door nails laid into the twice Bankrupt CAL. So your point is? UAL is on a strong return path despite what you amateurs think. With close to 5 billion in the bank UAL is positioning itself to be a purchaser of strategic advantage. If you care to read the recent WSJ report and if you care to listen to Tilton speak, you will find your answers. UAL is awaiting the outcome of the DL/NW BK process. If DL/NW merge then UAL will act. If not then perhaps UA and DL will become dance partners. Finally Tilton has said he wants to position UAL to be an acquiring carrier if it is RIGHT for the corporation.

Oh God we have another Worldtraveler on our hands.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
As a 20+year veteran pilot for UAL it pains me to see the types of irresponsible writing that many put on this forum. I certainly hope it is just a bunch of underage children that have little or no world experience or knowledge that post such things. But I have a suspicion it may very well be the overinflated literally and physically armchair quarterbacks that think they know everything about aviation because they rode in the back of an airplane last year.

And you're an expert because you ride in the front! And you had to throw in the 20+ years didn't you. Now that gives you tons of respect.

You were also co-owner of the largest bankruptcy in US aviation and you did such a great job I must commend you and your fellow co-workers on the Board. If you and the other UAL pilots were so smart, how did you end up in bankruptcy? Nice job on the pension default. Between UA and US, you've destroyed the pension obligations promised to all pilots in the US.

commavia

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
So your point is?

I thought I had made my point fairly clear. Continental is a strong, financially stable, economically viable, innovative carrier that is exceptionally well-run and near-universally respected around the world. United is a carrer with strong core competencies (great Asia network, excellent hubs, good fleet) but that is not nearly as well run and still has some major, major financial and operational problems it has to overcome.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
UAL is on a strong return path despite what you amateurs think. With close to 5 billion in the bank UAL is positioning itself to be a purchaser of strategic advantage.

United currently has $3.6B, not $5B, and what exactly does this new, nimble, supposedly cash-rich United think they're going to actually acquire at "strategic advantage?" Again, it is completely incompetent for United to -- as you suggest -- be focusing on buying things when their own company is a financial shambles, which is why I really don't believe that you are correct.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
UAL is awaiting the outcome of the DL/NW BK process. If DL/NW merge then UAL will act. If not then perhaps UA and DL will become dance partners.

Isn't that just a match made in hell? United and Delta?

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):
Finally Tilton has said he wants to position UAL to be an acquiring carrier if it is RIGHT for the corporation.

Well, what United should be doing is focusing on getting its own house in order, not positioning United for a merger with any corporation, right or wrong. You'd think that after the USAirways merger fiasco, they would have learned that up in Elk Grove.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 45):

I'm not writing anything irresponsible, and I am hardly an "underage child" if that is what you are suggesting. Just because the company you have worked for for 20+ years has been run by idiots for that time, and just because United is just now beginning to turn the corner, after years and bankruptcy and years after other carriers (like American and Continental, for example) changed their way of doing business, doesn't mean that I'm an "amateur," "underage child," or "armchair [quarterback]" just for pointing it out.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think I know everything about aviation. And yes, I have flown about 130,000 miles so far this year, not that this gives me any special insight. But thanks for your misinformed assumptions anyway.

Sean-SAN-

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:40 am

CAL would be better off buying AS if they really want to get their foot in the west coast...and the fleets would work out alot better as well.

luv2fly

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:44 am

I saw a CO and UA plane taxing one after another, maybe that is a sign?
You can cut the irony with a knife

isitsafenow

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:48 am

My turn..............
I don't buy the merger mentioned.
Perhaps Mr. Tilton wants Gordon to take over the reigns of UAL.
That rumor, I will listen to.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

onetogo

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting Airzim (Reply 47):
And you had to throw in the 20+ years didn't you. Now that gives you tons of respect.

Uh, yes it does. If you do not respect the job that he and his coworkers have done, then I suggest you simply forget about a.net. Also, how about trying to sound a little mature, Airzim? Your posts in this thread have been pathetic. If you are trying to convince yourself that you are on here to actually discuss aviation related matters, then you should be embarassed.

ord

Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 41):

SFO Hub
IAD Hub
DEN Hub
LAX Hub
ORD Hub
JFK Focus City
NRT Focus City
HNL Focus City