texdravid

Lufthansa And FRA Are Slipping

Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:36 pm

I just recently returned from a long but not necessarily satisfying vacation, and one of my first recollections of this journey is the decreased attention to detail and decreased standards at Lufthansa and their main gateway at Frankfurt.

My flight from IAH to FRA was a pathetic exercise is bait-and switch advertising techniques. LH promises new generation business seats and Wi-Fi on all North America-FRA flights. Upon entrance to the flight in Houston, my wife and I encountered a decades-Plus A340-300 with no Wi-Fi, an old smelly cabin resembling AI, and simple things like armrest trays not stowing properly.

Furthermore, the service was mediocre and completely unfriendly. I have no problem with Teutonic silence and efficiency, but when the efficiency goes, then you are left with nothing more than plain coldness.

Finally, the FRA worldport is old, decaying and is nowhere near user-friendly.
Simple things like clocks to show time are absent. Staff that is unfriendly and unhelpful. A Business class lounge with bathrooms more suited to MAA!! Pathetic.

Thus, I believe LH is getting by on reputation alone, and the fact that they lack meaningful competition on many routes, such as to/from India, and some second-tier U.S. cities like IAH, DFW, PDX. That is one of the reasons I desperately want AI to improve, so that they can challenge LH on their home turf, and bypass the FRA port when possible.

What do you think? Am I off base with LH and FRA, or were my observations correct?
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Lufthansa

RE: Lufthansa And FRA Are Slipping

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:05 pm

LH has learnt several lessions and not followed the trend of other major european airlines in terms of short haul service. The improvements made on A320 aircraft with new seats and new standards of inflight service i think are a step in the right direction, however, in the past LH has been an extremely convienent choice for many people. They simply got you more places, more often and were good value for money, particuarly for economy. Therefore, their rather basic economy product was often forgiven.... things are changing and I think, particularly given the whats happened over at KLM/AF.... they need to increase their standards in long haul economy to complete the picture.

I don't think LH has to worry to much about loosing to AI. I think Emirates is of far bigger concern, and the fact South East Asian carriers like SQ, MH and Thai are going to be fighting back hard to regain lost business from the ever expanding EK. Its going to mean that Economy at LH is going to need to be better, and that FRA is probably going to need to be a little more an impressive transfer hub. FRA is the best located hub in europe, all around. Easy access everywhere from Scotland to Greece, western and eastern europe etc. In the past, being extremely efficient and on-time has got them the business... today's environment is different. We have those who'll put up with anything for cheap, and those who are demanding higher standards and not a lot in between... given the cost of doing business in Germany, i'd say LH really has to focus on the latter group.

Give them time. Germans usually wake up when it comes to business. Look at the likes of BMW and Mercedes-Benz.... for years they sold 3 series and C-class cars that were basically just wheels and seats (i mean not even a CD player standard in a luxury car just 10 years ago?)... a little bit of competition from the likes of Lexus and its amazing what's on offer and popular today...and thriving.

PADSpot

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:18 pm

Quoting Texdravid (Thread starter):
Upon entrance to the flight in Houston, my wife and I encountered a decades-Plus A340-300 with no Wi-Fi, an old smelly cabin resembling AI, and simple things like armrest trays not stowing properly.

A switch in equippment can happen with any airline and any airport at any time. And what is wrong with an 10-13 year old airplane? At NW the AVERAGE age is close to 20 years now ...

I have no problem with Teutonic silence and efficiency, but when the efficiency goes, then you are left with nothing more than plain coldness.

I hope you didn't approach the people there with same arrogance than can be read between your lines here. If so, I don't wonder about their behavior. You get out, what you put in ...

BTW: Teuton were a central-european tribe some 2000 years ago that were in no way attributed with "silence". Maybe you read this as a catch-up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teutons

Finally, the FRA worldport is old, decaying and is nowhere near user-friendly. Simple things like clocks to show time are absent.

I guess LH already thinks about the new Terminal 3 and is not willing to invest much into the 35-year-old T1. T2 is pretty nice though ...

Andie007

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 1):

Simple things like clocks to show time are absent. Staff that is unfriendly and unhelpful. A Business class lounge with bathrooms more suited to MAA!! Pathetic.

Something to resolve this problem is already in process:
http://www.chm.de/en/competitions_content.html

http://www.fraport.com/cms/capacity_...2/2834.new_terminal_3_and_a380.htm

texdravid

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting PADSpot (Reply 2):
I hope you didn't approach the people there with same arrogance than can be read between your lines here. If so, I don't wonder about their behavior. You get out, what you put in ...

You're way off base. The only arrogance was on Lufthansa's, not mine. I later traveled on Jet Airways, India and Singapore Airlines. They all had very professional and friendly staff, something LH needs to re-learn.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

cornish

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:37 pm

OK I've done a lot of flying LH business class lately - mainly between UK and India, so feel i can comment on your views here.

In terms of the business cabin on long haul, I've flown the new product and its perfectly acceptable - nothing near as good as the best from the Far eAst, but very good in a European or North american context.

However, my last trip out to India put me on a 747-400 from FRA with the old business cabin. and yes I thought it was very shoddy, very uncomfortable and the whole aircraft felt very old an tired.

Had I not had the regular experience of the new business product (i've only sampled it on A340-300s) I would have been very disappointed with it - and incidentally, my flight back via MUC was with the new cabin on a 340.

checkmark  This I agree with wholeheartedly, and it really is a mess in places at the moment - however there is a lot of building going on, but then it really does need it.

I will say that MUC by contrast is the complete opposite, very user-friendly, very easy to get around, quick transfers etc.

If I'm on LH then where possible I will choose to transfer through MUC rather than FRA every time.

Short haul - I've been on some A320s with very tired looking cabins, but have also sampled the new cabin that is bing introduced. A big improvement i must say. I will say that the problem with having light grey leather seats is that they do give the appearance of being very dirty, that a darker colour would avoid.

Furthermore, the service was mediocre and completely unfriendly. I have no problem with Teutonic silence and efficiency, but when the efficiency goes, then you are left with nothing more than plain coldness.

Actually this is one area where my experience has been very different. I know LH has a reputation for unfriendliness on board, but I have to say I've always found the opposite. All my recent trips to India have seen friendly cabin staff with a good sense of humour and very helpful. And I've found this in the past.
Yes I can speak some German which might help, but my non-German speaking colleagues have found the same on our flights.

But I can see why there can be very different views on LH at the moment. Fly to India (for example) via MUC in the new business cabin and it will be a much better experience than flying via FRA in the old business class - which will certainly want you to seek alternatives where possible.

One definite plus point for LH however, is that their FF programme is very generous to foreigners - certainly much better for me than a BA one.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Johnny

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:44 pm

@Texdravid

I do not think LH alone is responsible for FRA.Probably one important detail about FRA for you:That airport has the smallest dimensions of all Mega-Hubs worldwide.They simply cannot re-buld the Terminals like they want.Germany is not Texas, where you can buld a Terminal with 2 or 3 parallel satelites and 5 parallel runways...It is crowdy here...  Wink

Probably next time you should try to fly via MUC, which in my personal view is the best airport in europe in one line with CPH !

LH normally is a friendly and very professional airline - try Delta next time.I wonder if you will see newer airplanes and better and more friendly service.
There is a phrase in german, which says: What i shout in the forest, that comes back...Probably you should think about it...  Wink

The lack of competion you are mentioning is wrong - LH has strong competiton on all longhaul markets with BA,AF,EK and some US carriers.

cornish

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Johnny (Reply 6):
Probably next time you should try to fly via MUC, which in my personal view is the best airport in europe in one line with CPH !

Absolutely - CPH is my personal favourite, followed by MUC and AMS when it comes to usability and appearance.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

travelin man

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:01 am

Having flown on LH and traveled through FRA for the first time in April, I definitely concur with your comments regarding FRA. It is a horrible airport to connect in, confusing, and you have to walk basically forever. Next time I fly LH, I will try MUC as I hear that airport is much easier to connect in. If FRA was just a destination airport, however, it would be OK. The faciliities themselves were not horrible in my opinion. As laid out for connections, however, FRA leaves a lot to be desired.

As for LH, I thought it was a very good airline. I guess it helps that I flew from LAX and we had a 744 with the new Biz Class seats and the wi-fi service. The flight attendants were friendly, not cold as some had led me to believe they might be.

Overall I would definitely fly LH again, just not through FRA.

roseflyer

Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:06 am

I've had good experiences with Lufthansa. I think they offer a good product on their newly configured planes, but I wouldn't pay the money to fly in the old business class. It just isn't very good at all and subpar pretty much every other Star Alliance carrier including their main US partner of United. The new seats are pretty good. They are comfortable and lie flat and have good IFE. I do understand that it has been a major problem reconfiguring the seat. It amazes me how long it has taken.

I think the service is ok on Lufthansa. The flight attendants seem to be a bit overworked in business class so the service is slow and not that friendly. However I've never had a problem with them. They tend to do a good job and I'm glad that all of the flight attendants that I have encountered speak English very well.

I think FRA is ok. It is clean and there are some nice lounges. It can get a little crowded and it is a bit disorganized and confusing, especially after a redeye flight. While it is not the best airport, it is a lot nicer than many others including much of IAH and DFW. The only problem I have with it is that people smoke.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Qazar

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:54 am

I sympathize with you for your experience. In my opinion, the most frustrating thing is that you can't really predict a level of service anymore - from any airline.

All airlines who've enjoyed high service reputations find themselves lacking in expectations from the passenger's point of view at one point or another. It really depends on the crew more than the airline.

Lufthansa is generally a good airline, and their new business product is highly marked in comparison to other airlines from around the world (even Southeast Asian ones). You're therefore more likely to have an enjoyable trip on LH - so it's safe to assume that you're experience is an exception more than the rule. However, I must say that both my best trip ever and my worst trip ever were both on LH - so they pretty much seem to be successful at both ends of the bar. Leave it to the Germans to always get it right !!!

I've also had on them my fair share of nice friendly crew, just as I've landed on a couple of b*** that made you want to run them over with their stupid cart!!! And I don't care about how hard their job is - it's still their job: you smile, you show courtesy, respect, service... Anything less is unacceptable to me!

Again the most frustrating thing is the lack of predictability. I'm sure if you were flying an airline where your expectation would have initially been less (like DL or AI) you wouldn't have felt this level of frustration. But since you had high esteem for LH, it left you with too large a gap...

As for FRA, I agree that there is nicer out there but have you flown recently through LHR, JFK, LAX, BOS,... There is also way worse. I especially like the "A" pier used by LH, and if MUC can be used as any indication I can honestly say that I can't wait to see what T3 will end up like. I'm sure it will give SIN, KUL, KIX, and others a good run for their money!!!

In conclusion, both LH and FRA seem to have embarked on a renewal phase. Given their size, it will take a while before the changes are fully implemented - which leaves us with less an ability to predict what to expect. In the end though, I am very excited to see what the end product will be like. With their new cabins, new aircraft (A380), and rumors for PTVs eventually in economy (I'm not starting another rumor here, so take it easy on me), LH will be flying high in a few years. I may not fully trust the level of their service, but I tip my hat to their management. I also have no doubt that FRA will be regarded as the best airport in Europe around the same time.

USAFHummer

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:06 am

My experience with LH old Biz seats on EWR-FRA (747-400) 10 days ago (first ever long haul in anything but economy, and first time to FRA) was that I found the seats to be acceptable but hard to adjust...service was good by my own meager standards, though I found it to be very impersonal. and a little bit awkward at times...

As for FRA...I agree that its definitely not the best airport to connect in...didn't get to test the connection aspect of it when I arrived as I had a 5 hour layover and thus used that time to go into Frankfurt itself, but when I go back to the US in a few days I have about a 75 minute connection there which will be a good test for this...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

HT

Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 11):
but when I go back to the US in a few days I have about a 75 minute connection there which will be a good test for this...

Expect no problems !
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

BoomBoom

Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:22 am

A switch in equippment can happen with any airline and any airport at any time. And what is wrong with an 10-13 year old airplane? At NW the AVERAGE age is close to 20 years now ...

So NW is the standard that LH measures itself against now?

It would make a great commercial:

Fly Lufthansa--we're slightly better than Northwest.

try Delta next time.I wonder if you will see newer airplanes and better and more friendly service.

Fly Lufthansa--we're not as bad as Delta.

[Edited 2006-06-30 23:28:05]
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

parisien

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:04 am

Well, since I am an economy class flyer now I avoid flying LH on long long haul...I think their 744s used to have more room in Y, no more. It is standard and cramped. So now I choose other airlines that offer the same amount of space but with more modern IFE on their planes.
For intra european flights I still like LH as much as the others (AF, AZ) though the ground staff tend to vary a lot. and yes Munich I find is a much better and friendlier airport. But the best is their partner Air Dolomiti !!!!!!

ejmmsu

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 13):
So NW is the standard that LH measures itself against now?

Based on what I've read, the NW A330 international product sounds better than LH.

to the original poster...

I would suggest trying NW/KLM on your next flight. The A330's are great in coach, and have an excellent business class product. Also, AMS is much nicer than FRA from what I have read.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

BoomBoom

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 15):
Based on what I've read, the NW A330 international product sounds better than LH.

Right--but what if you get stuck on one of those DC-10s?
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

ejmmsu

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 16):
Right--but what if you get stuck on one of those DC-10s?

They are going to be gone totally by January, and are being phased out. The DC-10 hasn't even been used in DTW for almost a year now. It is really easy now to find flights on the A330. Just don't book a flight on a DC-10 and you won't be "stuck" on one  Smile

shane

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:30 am

Aside from the lack of PTVs and the terribly tight quarters in coach resulting in knees around the ears (I'm 6'2"), I've always thought LH was the best way to Europa. I've done the SFO-MUC route several times in both business & coach, most recently on a shiny new A346 (I love the downstairs WC area). The flight attendants always look good and are efficient and friendly enough... It's the United flight attendants who are the snotty ones!

jacobin777

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:36 am

NW's A330's have 31-33' pitch, where as LH's A346 have only 31' pitch..ouch!  duck 

that being said, I haven't flown on either in the past 20 years, so what bloody 'ell am I doing on this thread?  confused  confused 
"Up the Irons!"

FURUREFA

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:45 am

I don't think it's the age of the a/c that matters, it's the age of the cabin. If the DC10 interiors looked like those of the A330s, nobody would be avoiding them...

Matt

ejmmsu

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 20):
I don't think it's the age of the a/c that matters, it's the age of the cabin. If the DC10 interiors looked like those of the A330s, nobody would be avoiding them...

Matt

This is very true. NW passengers really like the DC-9, despite its age... and not coincidentally the cabins were refurbished a few years ago.

And I don't think the DC-10's that NW has are particularly bad.. its just that the A330's are very nice.

ORDagent

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:00 pm

I have gone to and through FRA many times. I have family about an hour out of FRA so many of my summers started and ended there. The terminal is actually BETTER than when it opened. It was like a bunker with no windows to speak of. The food, duty free and general amenities have gotten better over the years but it always appears to be in a state of reconstruction. FRAPORT employees are a mixed bunch just like any other ground staff. When I went to Rome a couple of years ago my connection was only 45 minutes. My heart sank when our full up 321 parked at a remote stand. However there were two sets of stairs and two busses waiting for us. I was in terminal in less than 10 minutes. Unfortunate the line for the post 911 security to N. America was a mess! However a LH staffer came to the line and pulled us ORD and couple other flights pax and led us to another security check point a floor up and we made the flight with time to spare. I have flown in Business and Coach on LH. Sometimes I had more personable staff in back! However never was anybody rude or in the least bit sloppy in the service. The food is decent to exceptional on most flights overall LH has more class than the majority of U.S. airlines.

GBan

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:27 pm

Quoting BoomBoom (Reply 13):

try Delta next time.I wonder if you will see newer airplanes and better and more friendly service.

Fly Lufthansa--we're not as bad as Delta.

LOL

There is a phrase in german, which says: What i shout in the forest, that comes back...Probably you should think about it...

I don't think cabin crews get the salary to behave like a forest.

If you have the possibility, look at MUC. It's a different world. Interesting thing is that Lufthansa owns 50% of the new Terminal 2 at MUC airport. This is the first time that Lufthansa has invested into a Terminal.

darrenthe747

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:30 pm

I didn't read anything about him being arrogant. It is possible to get bad service without being an asshole to the FA's. You shouldn't have to bend over backwards to get good service, they should be providing good service to their customers or get out of the service industry.
All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

nethkt

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:11 pm

It's nearly impossible for Lufthansa to collaspe.

They are flying to everywhere in the world on the own planes (not those code-sharing flights). People will buy thier tickets. Their flights are almost always 100 percent full.

And look at their Economy class service! It's has been like that for over 20 years. No improvement and yet...no huge cost for them!!
Let's just blame it on yields.

dw9115

Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:27 pm

second-tier U.S. cities like IAH, DFW, PDX

I would hardly call Houston or Dallas second-tier cities Portland you might be able to get away with.

PanHAM

Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:55 pm

@texdravid - you can always have a bad crew on a flight, happened to me on many airlines and on LH as well. Upgrading aircraft to new business class seating is a major job and takes time, for a company that operates some 80 kong haul jets this is not done in half a year.

Same thing with the upgrading of Terminal 1 in Frankfurt, which is almost complete except for the C pier. It surprises me that you find T1 in FRA sub standard. I mean, how would you call the international terminal at IAH then? As a business class traveller you can hide in the lounge, flying economy you have absolutely nothing to go to except an shabby restaurant with unedible food and one or tow shops with nothing really interesting to offer.

Compare that to the vast number of shops and restaurants here. FRA may not be the best airport in the World, But is is definately better than IAH, where I has difficulties finding the exit to the rental car pick up in the domestic CO terminal recently. Bad directions.