Noise Abatement Procedures

Fri Feb 19, 1999 8:26 am

Recently I posted a message about planes at La Guardia and SNA taking off at unusually steep angles due to noise abatement rules. Are there any other airports where similar practices go on due to such restrictions??
I think DCA is like that. I really like to see those planes climb out like that..its fun to watch and makes the ride a lot more enjoyable!!!
Cheers!
CapK

RE: Noise Abatement Procedures

Fri Feb 19, 1999 8:30 am

Lots of airports have noise abatement procedures: Chicago has one from 2200 to 0600 I think. Also smaller airports have them like Pairs Valley you have to fly runway heading till 1500. You will find lots have them!!
Iain

FLY777UAL

Fri Feb 19, 1999 8:36 am

I thought at National you always had to fly down the Potomac River. I didn't know that you had a sharp takeoff (or is it a combo. of the two?)

Fri Feb 19, 1999 8:58 am

Most medium to big airports have NA procedures. It basically something like climb to 3,000 at V2+10 then practically glide over the NA noise sensing equipment. Yet, there are microphones out there. The airline gets a nasty fine if they're too loud.

Noel Benford

Dave

Fri Feb 19, 1999 10:32 am

YEP... THE NOICE POLICE ARE DEFINITLY LISTENING...

MY USUAL RUN IN WITH NOICE ABATEMENT IS HONOLULU. TAKE OFF FOR HEAVIES IS 08R... REQUIRING A RIGHT TURN AT ABOUT 500 FEET THEREFORE MISSING THE OVERFLIGHT OF WAIKIKI... MOST PILOTS WILL FORE WARM PASSENGERS OF THE IMMEDIATE TURN... WE WOULD HATE TO BOTHER ALL THOSE STILL ENJOYING THEIR MAI TAIS! I LOVE THAT TURN... FUN FUN FUN!

BryanG

National Airport

Fri Feb 19, 1999 12:51 pm

I was in DC one day last year and watched the takeoffs fron National for a long time. When they take off to the north, the planes cllimb as fast as they can up to about 1,000 feet, then level out an bring the engine power back as far as possible. After that they make a sharp left turn to follow the river and avoid flying over the Mall. It's got both a steep turn and wide bank, and it's fun to watch.

Fri Feb 19, 1999 6:29 pm

Washington Nat'l