phuebner

Why Not Brown Field?

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:24 pm

aaallllllllrrrrrIIIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!!! I'm ready to start a fight here.  box  So bring it on!

With the argument going on with Miramar being the desired replacement for SAN I know that Brown Field was mentioned and amazingly dropped as a possibility. Oh pray tell, why was it dropped again? I heard something about the environmental issues etc. blah blah blah. I think that it was just a basic drop for the want of Miramar. Brown field seems like a good possiblity. It's fairly open there, pretty flat, and not alot of homes to be affected...more homes will be affected at Miramar. So, I just want to hear what the arguments are for dropping Brown Field as a replacement airport for SAN.
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!

hawaiian717

RE: Why Not Brown Field?

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:13 am

This page summarizes the different sites and why they were excluded:

http://www.san.org/authority/assp/potential_sites.asp

For Brown, it was eliminated for extraordinary environmental costs, further delineated as existence of extensive biological resources, isolated prehistoric and historic sites on and adjacent to site, potential for paleontological resources, and significant airspace constraints.

Coronado990

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:43 am

Two words...

OTAY MOUNTAIN!!!
Uncle SAN at your service!

Boeing7E7

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:01 pm

Wow. That fight lasted what? 30 seconds?

As stated above: Otay Mountain. It can't be removed to make it possible. It's Federal protected land compliments of Bill Clinton who signed off on the 18,500 acres in 1997 (right after the cargo facility was dropped sealing it's fate as a commercial airport). Nothing amazing or arbitrary about it. The law is clear on airport site selection. State land (there is none), Military airfields (Miramar being optimum), private land (eminant domain) then Federal environmentally protected sites. What's at Miramar will be moved long before the Fed approves such a proposal to make Brown work as a commercial airport.

Good place for Ospreys and Helo's though....

To keep your base (Miramar), 20,000 people civilians will lose their homes. You happy?

Miramar won't stand a chance when it comes to this in about 10 years. One might as well vote yes and get the ball rolling, because at the end of the day, the Marines will not be asked, but told to leave. At least with joint use they can keep some operations vs. the inevitable "zero" operations.

Don't think it'll play out like that? Stick around a couple of years.

[Edited 2006-07-12 08:15:35]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos