jetpixx

Why Is 'IFE' So Important To Pax?

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:49 am

Why is it when an airline comes into a market, people cannot be simply excited that they are being chosen for new service. Instead, people have to knock the airline down. One of the biggest complaints I see listed on these forums is the lack of IFE (in-flight entertainment).

Do we Americans have that short of an attention span that we need all of these stupid little bells and whistles, where the fact we are flying alone is no longer good enough entertainment? Read a book or bring your own 'IFE'. God knows Americans can use a little more ed-juh-ma-cation. Look at the children of this country...the last thing they need are more 'IFE' so they can sit in another place for hours on end and let their mind get turned to mush in front of a television screen. We need less in-home entertainment and more outdoor, physical entertainment. Obviously on an aeroplane, this is not possible, but the lack of an attention span here and around the world sickens me.

Feel free to flame away, but I am just curious what the big love affair with IFE is - especially on flights of fewer than five hours - i.e. domestically. I can see the need on long-haul flights. Sorry, just had to get it off of my chest. It irritates me as much as the blown-out of proportion Peter Max threads. That plane is ugly. That's right, I said it...and while we're at it, the 'where is B6 going next' and 'when will NW retire its DC-9s' or 'US did a great job on the retro liveries, but...' threads.

sccutler

RE: Why Is 'IFE' So Important To Pax?

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:55 am

Big news flash: Ife isn't important at all to most passengers, especially in domestic flying. Most passengers want reliable, reasonably-priced, safe air travel, and most will not pay more for something so trivial as TV or stereo music.

The IFE can make a difference when it is the differentiating factor between two carriers (although service and frequency are still going to be the key determinants).

It is predominantly teen-aged aviation enthusiasts who get all excited about IFE and care (or, often, vene know) which type of aircraft they are flying on.

Most flyers, and especially most business flyers, just want reliable, frequent service (so they can spend the least time away from home), reasonable fares (so they can afford to buy the travel in the first place), and reasonable flexibility on fare and change rules (so changing plans can be accommodated).

IFE is way down the list.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

GBan

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 1):

Totally agree. If IFE was on top of the list Lufthansa would be out of business by now  Wink

canuckpaxguy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:03 am

Speak for yourself. If I have two competing airlines offering comparable products at a similar price and schedule, I'll take the one with the IFE thanks very much!

I never fly YYZ-LHR on AC. I use BA for the same price because of the IFE. Admittedly, they also have better service and nicer aircraft, but at the end of the day, if I'm going to spend 7+ hours crossing the Atlantic, I would rather have my own PTV instead of having to crank my neck and squint my eyes to catch the movie.

G

sccutler

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 3):
Speak for yourself. If I have two competing airlines offering comparable products at a similar price and schedule, I'll take the one with the IFE thanks very much!

I always speak for myself, unless I am quoting someone else, in which case attribution is included.

But read what I wrote, again- I agreed with you. The IFE can be the differentiating factor in choosing between two carriers on the same pair. Of course, if I had my way, Channel 9 would be a mandatory install on every aircraft, but that's the pilot geek in me.

(edit)

And, by the way, I will pay a little extra for IFE on international flights, for reasonably obvious reasons.

[Edited 2006-07-01 21:09:44]
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Leskova

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:28 am

The main thing I'd be willing to pay extra for is a couple of inches more pitch... on flights of any length, IFE isn't even on my list of things I'd be willing to pay extra for.

I still don't get why people need to watch reruns of films on monitors so small that, even if they weren't built into the seats so low or at such a bad angle that the picture is barely visible, it'd still be hard on the eyes... maybe it's just me, but if I want to see a film, I'll go see it at a cinema or, also somewhat acceptable, on TV.
Smile - it confuses people!

eugdog

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:35 am

Nothing irritates me more then people who think we are sinful because we care too much about our enjoyment. I am afraid the first poster is in the category. He thinks IFE is a self indulgence which we punish ourselves by going with out it. Enviromentalist, vegans, devout catholics, radical muslims - they are all the same. There are too many people who think that too much pleasure is sinful! Their behaviour is just another version of self flagellation!

But back to the issue of IFE

IFE is very important for long haul economy class flights because it is too cramp or uncomfortable to sleep properly - paradoxically it is less important in 1st because the hardworking business people who go first use the flight time to sleep. (this according to world airline guide)

I am amazed that Lufthansa get away with no IFE - but that will not last!

As for seat pitch - more seat pitch means less passengers/revenue. Although IFE must impose some wieght/payload penalty!

As the readers above stated IFE can be the tiebreaker that makes people choose one airline over the other. If price and seat pitch are the same I would choose the airline withthe best IFE

[Edited 2006-07-01 21:41:08]

cedarjet

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:36 am

I could barely care less about IFE. It's nice if PTVs are installed and better yet, work properly, but it's not worth paying more than the two bucks you'd pay Blockbuster to rent a movie. As said above, the screens are tiny, lots of reflections on the screen etc, it's hardly worth paying extra for. Doesn't anyone read books any more? And is seeing the world from 7 miles up not worth the price of admission alone?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

dutchjet

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:37 am

Dont confuse a.net with the real world......IFE is not nearly as important as some a.net members claim it to be.

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:42 am

I personally think for the 737RS, Boeing should include basic audio/video IFE as standard, as they do with their widebodies. There are no Boeing, Airbus, McDonnell Douglas, or Lockheed widebodies that I know of without IFE. If an airline doesn't want to use the IFE system, the wisest option would be to use the screen for Airshow.

[Edited 2006-07-01 21:44:29]
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

SA7700

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 5):
I still don't get why people need to watch reruns of films on monitors so small that, even if they weren't built into the seats so low or at such a bad angle that the picture is barely visible, it'd still be hard on the eyes... maybe it's just me, but if I want to see a film, I'll go see it at a cinema or, also somewhat acceptable, on TV.

Frank, to be honest - the last time I have been in a cinema was more than 2 years ago. That being said, I can watch a DVD at home. However, when I travel on longhaul flights and are unable to sleep; I enjoy watching a film, documentary or comedy show.

Yesterday on QF63 (SYD-JNB), the IFE crashed and the crew were unable to get it into working mode, whilst communicating with QF engineers in SYD. About 3 hours into the 13h30min daylight flight the system corrected itself into a "semi-working mode". At the time it did not bother me, as I was working through my sheetmusic of the Mozart Requiem, but after I have been through the Requiem 4 times, I really would have appreciated some IFE.  Smile

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

dutchjet

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 9):
I personally think for the 737RS, Boeing should include basic audio/video IFE as standard, as they do with their widebodies. There are no Boeing, Airbus, McDonnell Douglas, or Lockheed widebodies that I know of without IFE. If an airline doesn't want to use the IFE system, the wisest option would be to use the screen for Airshow.

[Edited 2006-07-01 21:44:29]

As far as I know, IFE are specified by the airline customer......IFE is not a standard or optional feature like a CD player in a car.

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 11):
As far as I know, IFE are specified by the airline customer......IFE is not a standard or optional feature like a CD player in a car.

The manufacturer and specific system of the IFE is specified by the airline. I do believe for widebodies, a basic IFE A/V system (no PTVs) is included at no additional cost, hence why all Boeing, Airbus, McDonnell Douglas, and Lockheed widebodies have both audio and video. For narrowbodies, I believe it has to be added at an additional cost.

SA7700

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 7):
Doesn't anyone read books any more? And is seeing the world from 7 miles up not worth the price of admission alone?

See reply 10. On QF63 (SYD-JNB), you see land for a maximum of 2 hours. The rest of the flight is over the ocean. Yes, you can watch the ocean, but it does happen that the skies are clouded over, like yesterday, and you are unable to get a panoramic view of the sea....  Wink

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

anstar

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:00 am

It is predominantly teen-aged aviation enthusiasts who get all excited about IFE and care (or, often, vene know) which type of aircraft they are flying on.

I'd beg to differ on that one. IFE is a great way to pass the time on long haul flights. Most longhaul flights I've been on with QF/Aa/BA the majority of PAX have been watching something on their PTV's.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
Dont confuse a.net with the real world......IFE is not nearly as important as some a.net members claim it to be.

Then why are airlines spending so much upgreading it???

dutchjet

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting ANstar (Reply 14):
Then why are airlines spending so much upgreading it???

Some airlines are upgrading, some are not.

Dont get me wrong, a good IFE system is appreciated, especially on a long haul segment....it does make the hours pass more quickly. But many at a.net seem to think that the world will come to an end if they dont have a PTV with AVOD, Direct TV and XM Radio on a 45 minute flight.

A good IFE system is a marketing advantage on longer flights, many airlines are adding new features. But airlines have not rushed to sign up for Direct TV systems, Satellite Radio systems, or the like in big numbers. AVOD is only slowly working its way into the IFE systems of some airlines.......and some carriers still are not specifying PTVs in their Y cabins, even on long range flights.

Inflight Internet will become a big issue shortly.....and the possibility of being on-line during a long flight will become far more important than the possibility of watching the Discovery Channel in flight.

coerj

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:27 am

IFE is necessary on transcontinental routes. Imagine flying EWR-SIN with a book, ipod, and the little symbol in front of you that says "life jacket under seat".

On the other hand IFE onboard domestic service isn't necessary for almost all passengers, it's completely an aspect of marketing that says "You're gonna fly us because we're better than everybody else since we have a TV that will entertain you."

To the average person, not the average a.netter, what makes Jetblue better than any other airline without the directv, leather seats, and brand new planes.

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting COERJ (Reply 16):
To the average person, not the average a.netter, what makes Jetblue better than any other airline without the directv, leather seats, and brand new planes.

It isn't fair how JetBlue gets better ratings than Delta. I have been on a refurbished Delta 757, and I am pretty sure the average passenger would have thought that he/she was on a brand new aircraft.

dutchjet

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 17):

It isn't fair how JetBlue gets better ratings than Delta. I have been on a refurbished Delta 757, and I am pretty sure the average passenger would have thought that he/she was on a brand new aircraft.

Problem is that on their return DL flight, they were on an non-refurbished MD88 and the pax knew that they were not on a brand new airplane.

The whole JetBlue, Direct TV thing is so difficult to figure out.....JetBlue seems to have convinced the flying public (especially in NYC and Florida) that JetBlue is a special experience....reasonable fares and an upscale product...its marketing at its finest.

TPAnx

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:40 am

A question for FAs..how many people actually know how to use the IFE..and do? I enjoy the view of the world from 6 miles up...but after a while, the
irrigation circles in the midwest get a little booorrrring...
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

wjcandee

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:46 am

This is so true, particularly among the working stiffs sitting there with their laptops doing actual work. When you get on a full MD80 on AA or DL (and to some extent, a 737 on WN), flying from a hub to a business city, in the middle of the week, what you see is that 70 percent of the passengers (and probably 90 percent of the revenue) are actively doing some sort of work on a laptop or papers. Others are snoozing. Others are reading the newspaper or a book or a magazine. The rest are candidates for IFE.

What amazes me about all the folks that talk on here about "replacing the MD80s with 737-800s with IFE!!!" is that if you look at what's being played on the IFE on those same carriers' same routes as the MD80s, it's crap. It's a sitcom or some travel advertorial or the route map, the latter being about the only thing that any biz pax look up at. I think that it is extraordinarily revealing about IFE that B6 couldn't get away with charging ($5) for it on an a la carte basis. That means that on average to the average customer, it's worth significantly less than $5. I'd be curious to see what Frontier gets for it *per occupied segment-seat*. I'll bet it's $1 to $1.50. I think that the benefit to B6 of the IFE is more the image that it creates for the airline and the electronic mesmerization of passengers that it induces in those who aren't otherwise occupied, thus leading to a feeling that the passenger service was more attentive than it actually was.

philhyde

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Thread starter):

Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Jetpixx?

Seriously, though, your arguments about attention spans and such are somewhat valid, but this is airline travel we are talking about. It's not like there is anything else to do except read or sleep. Flying with kids is challenging.

Anyone that has kids and who has travelled with them knows that you basically have to do whatever it takes to keep them happy for the flight. This is not so much an issue when the flight is 1-2 hours, but more than 3 can become a challenge (both to the parents and other passengers). In the cases where we've taken planes equipped with IFE, the flights went smoother. Yeah, the kids' faces were glued to a little screen, but this doesn't last indefinately. We also played games and read - the same things we do when there is no IFE, as well as at home when the TV is off.

When I'm travelling alone, I could just as well do without it.
Canon junkie - Aviation Nut

mariner

Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:55 am

This is from a trip report - the first day of the Frontier SFO-LAX service - from a dedicated Southwest flier, not a teenager:
LAX-OAK On WN; SFO-LAX On F9 (by Mymorningsong Jun 30 2006 in Trip Reports)

"The big differentiator is IFE in each seat. F9 was offering free DirecTV by booking online, but they are giving it away on this route for the next month to celebrate their inaugural flights. When else am I going to be interested in watching the 2005 World Domino Championship (semi-finals no less) on ESPN2. It was awesome. Partners were getting really pissed off at each other when they lost a game. One of the guys was even named (bad bad) Leroy Brown. Tough for WN to compete with that."

So it would seem to make a difference, even on short flights.

mariner
aeternum nauta

m404

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:00 am

Number one reason is it keeps children busy.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

WildcatYXU

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 20):
particularly among the working stiffs sitting there with their laptops doing actual work.

Well, you know how is it... When I return to the office, there is always something else to do, than prepare the trip report (mandatory in our company). So I better do it while flying home...
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

9V-SPJ

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:09 am

I like to read books on flights, but can you really sit an read a book for an entire 14hr transpacific crossing? I would say that in economy, IFE is really important. Many of the business travellers have laptops, but tourists would not really want to lug their laptop around on their holiday. Plus, its not that easy to use a laptop in economy when the big, bright screen is inches from your face.

9V-SPJ

CV990

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:16 am

Hi!

I think ( and agree with some friends said here...) that IFE in long distance flights is a value-added to a passenger! And like some other fellows said here that LH could be out of business by now, well probably not but in my last trip from LIS to KIX I "gave the money" to KL! Reason? Well my flight from AMS to KIX was in the 777 and I tell you, during the hours I flew ( and I got a few by night...) I had the chance to see 3 excelent movies that got the time flying! In the oposite I could have flown the beautifull and handsome LH A340-600, but with no IFE for about 11 hours??? No way and the price were the same! So for those that IFE is not relevant, it is indeed relevant!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

vinniewinnie

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):

Allow me to disagree! Though most "normal" passengers do not choose an airline because of the IFE, it's a plus for them which they definitely like and get positively accustomed to!

Cause let's not forget people get bored on long-haul flights! I do and I suppose most of us actually do as well! Sleeping is an option, but I find it personally very hard! Therefore in my opinion IFE is definitely important, both for me and for the general public!

But we have lived without it! And can live without it! Especially on short haul hops!  Smile

Bicoastal

Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:58 am

Because people today don't know how to read. And we as a society are becoming dumber and dumber each day.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

geniusjacky

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:01 am

Seriously, domestic flight less than say 3 hours does not really matter whether the plane has IFE or not. However, for longer flights, as most others pointed out, would be a addon to the flight. It really helps you pass the long flight. Human mind simply cannot focus on one thing for a long while. So reading a book might work for 2-3 hours, longer than that would be immensely boring. Also, sometimes the light is turned off and the reading light is not really something comfortable for most people.
Another thing is when a family is traveling. Instead of bringing millions of gadgets with you, why not simply ask the kid to look at the TV. That's why cars nowadays have DVD player at the back. All these did not come of no reason.
Furthermore, with IFE, you make customer feel your plane is "newer" and "modern". People would have better impression if they see them rather than those old CRT hanging up there, even the planes could be of the same age, e.g. BA 747 vs UA 747.
Impression matters. That's why CX / SQ could sell tics more expenisve. Just like how Toyota gives you a better impression, when GM actually ranks better at quality recently.

FireFly

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:07 am

If I have two competing airlines offering comparable products at a similar price and schedule, I'll take the one with the IFE thanks very much!

Amen to that! The passenger environment is much different today than it was 25 years ago. Then, men and women dressed up for flying and stewardesses were at their beck and call. Today, the only way to escape (and it doesn't always work) yelling babies, screaming kids, and fat seat-mates is to be in first class. When one is stuck in coach, a little entertainment to take oneself out of their predicament, is warranted.

Many posters here have bemoaned the fact that air travel now resembles bus travel. IFE contributes to the overall comfort of a 3 hr. flight, or a 12 hr flight.

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 20):
thus leading to a feeling that the passenger service was more attentive than it actually was.

Right...and until service becomes consistantly good, IFE is as good a substitute as any out there.

An aside, isn't it interesting that as America has transformed into a "service" economy, service today often doesn't even meet minimal expectations.
"Bury me at sea, boys; where no murdered ghosts can haunt me" MacGowan

ZKSUJ

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:12 am

IFE is quite ahead in the list as far as I know, people I know would happily pay a bit extra to have their own PTV than watch the big screen.

On long hauls especially, most would rather watch AVOD movies than read a magazine or look out the window. (From NZ, long haul consists of flying over masses of ocean or dessert, not very interesting)

EMBQA

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:20 am

If you look at the questions being asked about IFE here on A.net it mostly come from the 13-20 year olds. As a passenger personally don't care if a plane has it or not. As a mechanic, it's just more sh*t to break and more sh*t to work on. In August when I fly home on jetBlue the thing I'm looking forward to is 10 days off at home in Maine, seeing my Mom, my friends and eating some home cooking.... I could care less about the TV screen in the seat back in front of me....
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

IFEMaster

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:22 am

Because it keeps me in a job???

Perhaps...
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

GQfluffy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:27 am

I have IFE on every flight I'm on. Usually comes in the form of a magazine or a book.
This isn't where I parked my car...

dutchjet

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 31):
On long hauls especially, most would rather watch AVOD movies than read a magazine or look out the window. (From NZ, long haul consists of flying over masses of ocean or dessert, not very interesting

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 28):
Because people today don't know how to read. And we as a society are becoming dumber and dumber each day.

Could be......

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 31):
IFE is quite ahead in the list as far as I know, people I know would happily pay a bit extra to have their own PTV than watch the big screen.

The big question is will pax pay extra......not a.net members, Mr and Ms Travelling Public who are booking a flight. Does the average traveller know which airlines and which aircraft have PTVs? (Everyone at a.net knows that LH does not have PTVs in coach, but how about in the real world?) And, will pax pay extra for IFE......it is very nice indeed to have an advanced AVOD or Direct TV system to entertain you for 1 to 15 hours....but how much is the average pax willing to pay for the entertainment either as a collected fee or as an increased fare? If there is no fare supplement for IFE, then is the marketing advantage for the airline worth the investment?

JetBlue "gives away" Direct TV service on its flights......but it seems that Direct TV helped establish JetBlue with its pax base. On the other hand, Southwest looked into IFE and stated that while IFE systems are very nice, their pax were unwilling to pay extra for the luxury of IFE and simply want the lowest fares. Every other airline, worldwide, seems to be somewhere in the middle.

Indy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:31 am

Because long haul flights are long, boring, and you are cramped in a tiny seat like a sardine. The food is usually of marginal quality at best so why not want something to help pass the time? At least with IFE you can forget about that dinner you just had and the fact that you have no leg room or elbow room and the fact that you may be squeezed into this position for 8 hours.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

socalfive

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:34 am

Quoting COERJ (Reply 16):
IFE is necessary on transcontinental routes. Imagine flying EWR-SIN with a book, ipod, and the little symbol in front of you that says "life jacket under seat".

NECESSARY? I can imagine exactly what you just articulated, I've done it several times, only without an Ipod.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 17):

Most people can't tell a new aircraft from a toilet seat, they give better ratings to Jetblue because the overall service experience is superior, which on DL right now, it's not.

Quoting Philhyde (Reply 21):
Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Jetpixx?

Seriously, though, your arguments about attention spans and such are somewhat valid, but this is airline travel we are talking about. It's not like there is anything else to do except read or sleep. Flying with kids is challenging

Sleep, or Read. As far as kids, teach them to Sleep or Read too. Maintaining Discipline and Encouraging intellect are both far far removed from the thoughts of American parents, You said it best yourself IFE is yet another electronic babysitting/diversion tactic to keep people that should never be parents from being bothered by their children.

Quoting M404 (Reply 23):
Number one reason is it keeps children busy.

as I said above. TEACH them to read and learn something! 37,000 feet is a great place to start since you obviously haven't tried it on the ground.

trey

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:36 am

if you have ever been on a 12+ hr flgiht, you'd know why IFE is a good thing. i like to read and sleep as much as the next guy however, when is the last time you sat quietly in a enclosed space, by yourself ,next to strangers, for 12 hrs. and not wanted a diversion?

Indy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:40 am

I've been on 8 hour flights with IFE and 8 hour flights without IFE. I'll never fly on a long haul flight again that doesn't have IFE.

erjmech

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting EMBQA. As a mechanic, it's just more sh*t to break and more sh*t to work on.

Truer words have never been spoken about IFE... I have to start pulling apart an interior equipt with IFE and not looking foward to it at all.

socalfive

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 39):
I've been on 8 hour flights with IFE and 8 hour flights without IFE. I'll never fly on a long haul flight again that doesn't have IFE.

LOL...And your favorite hobby as listed in your profile is "Watching TV", so I'm sure it's a given you can't live longer than 20 minutes at a time without it.

WildcatYXU

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 32):
As a mechanic, it's just more sh*t to break and more sh*t to work on.

Dude, I really don't get your point. That should be a plus for you. When my employer brings in a new technology with all problems connected to it, I always welcome it as extra job security instead of crying over extra work.
Would that be the difference between the non-unionized and unionized work force?
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

Indy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 41):
LOL...And your favorite hobby as listed in your profile is "Watching TV"

I didn't think people actually bothered to read that stuff. Actually I don't watch much tv. Who needs TV when you have the net? Big grin But if I didn't have the net I'd watch tv lol.

erjmech

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:01 am

Wildcat.....EMBQA is not complaining about more work....there are different niches in aviation that we all belong to. Mine happens happens to a time vs. quantity issue. Two people can remove 50-70 seats without IFE in 2 hours but with the IFE it can be up to 45min-1hr per seat depending on configuration..be it hardwired or simple plugs....extreme care must be given to the sensitive components of each seat..... So from where I sit the work is great and the responsibility is definitely there, there is also bit of caution when you only have 7 days to turn a "C" check with more and more complex equipment.

9252fly

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:18 am

I'm curious as to which would be considered more desirable,LiveTV or AVOD?

AeroWesty

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:34 am

IFE = Inflight Entertainment
PTV = Personal TV

It's amazing the number of statements made about one airline or another has no IFE, when in fact IFE has been around for decades. PTVs are a different story.

The first flight I took on an HP A320 when the PTV screens were first installed, every single seat in coach had the seatback flickering the same ads (no real content had been loaded yet), and it drove me nuts. I can only imagine what it would be like to try and sleep with all of those on at once on a long flight in a crowded cabin.
International Homo of Mystery

boeingpride800

Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:10 am

what did people do 20-30 years ago when it was just a loud buzzing engine you heard instead of an IFE onboard?? Passengers demand a lot these days.

jfrworld

Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:18 am

Its because people today are overstimulated. We have TV, video games, music mass media, and the internet constantly surrounding us. When you take all of these things away from us, we don't know what to do with ourselves.

My gym even has individual TV's on all of the treadmills and eliptical machines so that we can watch TV while we exercise.

Sitting on a plane for hours without stimulation is a nightmare for so many people just like it is to go on a vacation to one of those resorts that are isolated with no TV, internet or newspapers.

christao17

Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting Jetpixx (Thread starter):
Why is it when an airline comes into a market, people cannot be simply excited that they are being chosen for new service. Instead, people have to knock the airline down. One of the biggest complaints I see listed on these forums is the lack of IFE (in-flight entertainment).

While I don't read every single post on a.net, I can't recall ever reading that complaint with regards to new service entry into a market. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like it is a particularly frequent complaint.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 15):
But many at a.net seem to think that the world will come to an end if they dont have a PTV with AVOD, Direct TV and XM Radio on a 45 minute flight.

Again, while there are some people on this board who really enjoy PTV with AVOD, etc. and are excited about its features, are there really that many who feel the "world will come to an end?"

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 34):
I have IFE on every flight I'm on. Usually comes in the form of a magazine or a book.

bigthumbsup 

Quoting Indy (Reply 36):
At least with IFE you can forget about that dinner you just had and the fact that you have no leg room or elbow room and the fact that you may be squeezed into this position for 8 hours.

True, too.

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 37):
Sleep, or Read. As far as kids, teach them to Sleep or Read too. Maintaining Discipline and Encouraging intellect are both far far removed from the thoughts of American parents, You said it best yourself IFE is yet another electronic babysitting/diversion tactic to keep people that should never be parents from being bothered by their children.

Oh, come on! While I totally agree that parents in the US use the TV as a babysitter way too much, it isn't like they're travelling with their children on an airplane for hours and hours every week.

A plane trip with children is a pretty uncommon experience for most families and while back in the good old pre-deregulation days you heard stories about flight attendants helping parents entertain and take care of their children, that doesn't seem to exist anymore.* Some IFE can help make the flight more enjoyable and less stressful for the parents, the children, the crew, and the fellow passengers.

As for my personal take on IFE, I always have several things with me (books, iPod, sudoku puzzles, etc.) to keep me occupied on top of a laptop full of work. But on a long flight, especially more than five or six hours, watching a movie or a television program is a pleasant distraction. And if it is a nice AVOD system like KrisWorld, I'm pretty happy about it because it gives me more choices than the generally bland movie shown on the main screen.

*Actually, kudos where deserved: about two years ago on a Delta flight, I witnessed one of those "good ol' Southern gals" holding a baby for about twenty minutes so the mother could eat her meal without distraction. Very impressive.
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...