sbnair3022

How Many Passengers In A Market.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:51 am

Hey! hoping someone could help me out here. Ive never known how you can tell how many people travel in a certain market. Like how do airlines know how many people travel from chicago to louisville? Is there a book somewhere that is printed every year?? How can I find this information??

Thanks for any info!!
SBNair!!

LAXintl

RE: How Many Passengers In A Market.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:55 am

Only discussed yesterday.
How Do You Find Out Pax Between Two Markets? (by HPRamper Jul 3 2006 in Civil Aviation)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ruuxxv

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:02 am

Try transtats.bts.gov
There are commercially available products (expensive) that sort the data a little more cleanly and with a whole lot less work, but you should be able to download something from transtats that answers most of your questions.

sbnair3022

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks for the link! the faremeasure seems to have kinda what I'm looking for. But another question, What is this O&D, or something like that, that is always used to express the number of people in a market in comparison to flights. I don't know if it is O&D or if it is something else. Thank You!
SBNair!!

txagkuwait

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 pm

http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/index.html

I prefer this ti faremeasure, it allows you to look at historical traffic trends as well as # of current psgrs per day.

ruuxxv

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:15 am

O&D stands for "Origin and Destination." O&D passengers are the number of passengers flying between two specific points, such as ORD-LAX.
O&D passengers, in this instance, are the number of passengers whose trips began at ORD and ended at LAX or vice versa.

O&D numbers do not typically include passengers flying ORD-LAX but are connecting at one or both of those points to their final destination. For example, a PIA-LAX passenger connecting over ORD should be counted only in the PIA-LAX O&D, and not counted in the ORD-LAX O&D. There are some exceptions to that example that have to do with how passengers are ticketed...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos