sbnair3022

How Many Passengers In A Market.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:51 am

Hey! hoping someone could help me out here. Ive never known how you can tell how many people travel in a certain market. Like how do airlines know how many people travel from chicago to louisville? Is there a book somewhere that is printed every year?? How can I find this information??

Thanks for any info!!
SBNair!!

LAXintl

RE: How Many Passengers In A Market.

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:55 am

Only discussed yesterday.
How Do You Find Out Pax Between Two Markets? (by HPRamper Jul 3 2006 in Civil Aviation)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ruuxxv

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:02 am

Try transtats.bts.gov
There are commercially available products (expensive) that sort the data a little more cleanly and with a whole lot less work, but you should be able to download something from transtats that answers most of your questions.

sbnair3022

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks for the link! the faremeasure seems to have kinda what I'm looking for. But another question, What is this O&D, or something like that, that is always used to express the number of people in a market in comparison to flights. I don't know if it is O&D or if it is something else. Thank You!
SBNair!!

txagkuwait

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 pm

http://ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/index.html

I prefer this ti faremeasure, it allows you to look at historical traffic trends as well as # of current psgrs per day.

ruuxxv

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:15 am

O&D stands for "Origin and Destination." O&D passengers are the number of passengers flying between two specific points, such as ORD-LAX.
O&D passengers, in this instance, are the number of passengers whose trips began at ORD and ended at LAX or vice versa.

O&D numbers do not typically include passengers flying ORD-LAX but are connecting at one or both of those points to their final destination. For example, a PIA-LAX passenger connecting over ORD should be counted only in the PIA-LAX O&D, and not counted in the ORD-LAX O&D. There are some exceptions to that example that have to do with how passengers are ticketed...