BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Oasis Hong Kong - Low-cost Goes Long-haul!

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Oasis Hong Kong Airlines to start LGW-HKG in October!

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/109568.php?mpnlog=1
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

dutchjet

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Low fares on long haul flights.....this news is enough to give lots of airline executives some sleepness nights. Its unclear if the cheap fare will be a teaser, but low cost flights on a popular route like this could wreck yeilds on premium business routes like London-Hong Kong. This could be a very big deal, or much ado about nothing, its too soon to tell but certainly something to watch.

The London-Hong Kong is becoming a very crowded route......is Air New Zealand doing the right thing by operating its new London-Auckland via Asia service with a stop at HKG? I always thought that there were better opportunties elsewhere and that NZ was making a mistake getting into the London-HongKong competition......this piece of news makes the situation even more difficult.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:36 pm

I for one think it's a great development that could really shake things up. If they can emulate the Cathays and others from that part of the world then they should have done their homework and as such will have a sound business plan in place. I have no doubt that this could be a success, but what will the BA, VS reaction be? We shall have to wait and see.

Good luck  bigthumbsup   bigthumbsup 

Pe@rson

RE: Low-cost Goes Long-haul!

Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:59 pm

Get a 747-400 in a dense one-class layout (over 500 seats). Fly it regularly, punctually, conveniently, simply on routes which have a lot of VFR traffic, like LON-ACC, LON-LOS and LON-NBO, and on which fares are very high, normally well over £500, and on which the flight times aren't too long, at 5.5-8 hours, and I bet it'd make a killing. London-Accra from £9.99 one-way excluding tax. A maximum one-way of £249.99.

What about LON-NYC in the summer, when it's seemingly very difficult to get a non-stop (or even connecting) flight for less than £400+?

It would have been ideal for, say, LON-DEL and LON-BOM, but with the ever-increasing amount of competition, and the resulting lower prices, I wonder whether it's viable nowadays.

I travel 14-15 hours per week by train. I don't get any refreshment unless I pay for it seperately, even on long trips. So, then, why not in the air? It's simply a matter of taking the lead, of being unique (on longer trips), of trying it out, of taking a stand.

[Edited 2006-07-05 15:05:58]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

antonovman

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:04 pm

Get a 747-400 in a dense one-class layout (over 500 seats). Fly it regularly, punctually, conveniently, simply on routes which have a lot of VFR traffic, like LON-ACC, LON-LOS and LON-NBO, and on which fares are very high, at normally over �500, and on which the flight times aren't too long, at 5.5-8 hours, and I bet it'd make a killing. London-Accra from �9.99 one-way excluding tax. A maximum one-way of �249.99.

in other words if you want to become a millionaire by running an airline, start off with 2 million,,,,,

shamrock350

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:05 pm

Good luck to them! Oasis Hong Kong Airlines will use two former SQ 747s but a few months ago I heard they were going to use a new A330.

Beaucaire

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:09 pm

It has been mentioned by EK's Clark that Lowcost products from UK to Downunder using A380's might be a new venue...
The traditional arguments against Lowcost applications on long flights( no short turn-arround benefit,many short flighs,no-frill,no service etc..) are slowly being put aside for medium -distance applications.
If Easyjet and/or Ryanair are considering flights to the Middle East ,it's not a typical Lowcost segment neither.Oasis are just implementing radically the same concept but on new segments.It will come and sooner as some might think...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

BMIFlyer

RE: Oasis Hong Kong - Low-cost Goes Long-haul!

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:20 pm

Crazy Idea.

I wish them luck anyway.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

cornish

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:20 pm

But of course Oasis are taking a slightly different approach with a really quite large business class component at 83 seats. And they are proper previous generation business class seats/cabins, not premium economy.

Interesting.....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

bennett123

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Not sure how they can make money at £75.

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:22 pm

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 2):
but what will the BA, VS reaction be?

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 3):
Get a 747-400 in a dense one-class layout (over 500 seats). Fly it regularly, punctually, conveniently, simply on routes which have a lot of VFR traffic, like LON-ACC, LON-LOS and LON-NBO, and on which fares are very high, normally well over £500, and on which the flight times aren't too long, at 5.5-8 hours, and I bet it'd make a killing. London-Accra from £9.99 one-way excluding tax. A maximum one-way of £249.99.

This is deja vu all over again. It's exactly what Virgin set out to do in the mid-80's, but it became a big carrier with big prices, too. BA survived VS, and has reacted well to short-haul LCC competition, so I've the feeling they know what to do. EK may have more to worry about as Oasis will be overflying their hub with a plane full of the cheap seats, exactly one of the markets they've been hoping to build, retain and expand.
International Homo of Mystery

cornish

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
EK may have more to worry about as Oasis will be overflying their hub with a plane full of the cheap seats, exactly one of the markets they've been hoping to build, retain and expand.

and you've hit the nail exactly on the head AeroWesty. They aim to take passengers from the one stoppers like EK and Qatar, rather than aim for the big hitters flying directly on the route.

also bare in mind they will be the only carrier flying directly on the route into LGW. This is a big plus point for them in my view....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

luv2fly

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
This is deja vu all over again. It's exactly what Virgin set out to do in the mid-80's, but it became a big carrier with big prices, too. BA survived VS, and has reacted well to short-haul LCC competition, so I've the feeling they know what to do. EK may have more to worry about as Oasis will be overflying their hub with a plane full of the cheap seats, exactly one of the markets they've been hoping to build, retain and expand.

Well said!

It is funny how many people forget that VS started with this concept and see what happened with them.
You can cut the irony with a knife

dutchjet

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 12):
It is funny how many people forget that VS started with this concept and see what happened with them.

It is a great point......I remember when Virgin launched their bargain flights to Newark.....Virgin was then considered in the same category as Peoplexpress and Laker. Virgin grew up with the help of media-happy Sir Richard - and, as pointed out, so did their fares.

cornish

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 9):
Not sure how they can make money at £75.

Well that'll be because there will only be a few 75 pound lead-in "headline" fares. Most passengers will pay somewhat more than that - and of course 83 business seats will have a higher charge again....

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:50 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
and of course 83 business seats will have a higher charge again....

This is what I think is the smart thing they're doing. It's clear there's a market segment willing to pay something extra for a bit more room and service on long haul, without having to go full board for Business or First. BR fills their Deluxe Economy section across the Pacific using nothing other than what you'd find in First on domestic U.S. flights. NZ has had to expand their Premium Economy just months after introducing an entirely new interior. If they can fill these seats, just like VS did with their first-generation Upper Class, they've a lot less to worry about in the back of the plane, without the risk of having to fill the entire plane with Business travelers like Eos or Maxjet.

It'll be interesting to see where they price the better seats on this route.

luv2fly

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):
This is what I think is the smart thing they're doing. It's clear there's a market segment willing to pay something extra for a bit more room and service on long haul, without having to go full board for Business or First. BR fills their Deluxe Economy section across the Pacific using nothing other than what you'd find in First on domestic U.S. flights. NZ has had to expand their Premium Economy just months after introducing an entirely new interior. If they can fill these seats, just like VS did with their first-generation Upper Class, they've a lot less to worry about in the back of the plane, without the risk of having to fill the entire plane with Business travelers like Eos or Maxjet.

It'll be interesting to see where they price the better seats on this route.

The thing is though with these type of long haul flights will not appeal with loyal FF's as you are losing a chance to earn a slew of miles.......
You can cut the irony with a knife

cornish

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 16):
The thing is though with these type of long haul flights will not appeal with loyal FF's as you are losing a chance to earn a slew of miles.......

But there is also a large market out there that aren't serious FF types. I don't think for a minute they are expecting to get the loyal frequent BA,CX and VS flyers into their aircraft.

and ultimately if you are offering a ticket price that is substantially better than any benefits from a FF programme it will appeal to many - especially the less frequent travellers, the backpacker market, small businesses etc, etc.

AeroWesty

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 16):
The thing is though with these type of long haul flights will not appeal with loyal FF's as you are losing a chance to earn a slew of miles

That's very true, but BR is still filling literally hundreds of seats per day in Deluxe Economy from points in the U.S. and Europe into Taipei, without the market draw of Hong Kong, or major FF tie-ins. If I had a choice of flying a bit better while giving up FF miles, it'd be a hard choice to make. Oasis will be offering fewer than 500 of their deluxe seats per week in each direction, in a non-stop market that can handle ~7 daily 747's.

[Edited 2006-07-05 16:12:59]

jacobin777

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 6):
If Easyjet and/or Ryanair are considering flights to the Middle East ,it's not a typical Lowcost segment neither.Oasis are just implementing radically the same concept but on new segments.It will come and sooner as some might think...

They are expanging to thos places because they have to out of necessity...

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 7):
Crazy Idea.

checkmark 

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 7):
I wish them luck anyway.

checkmark 

besides the aforementioned carriers, there are charter carriers who pack their planes to the brim, offering cheap seats with no amenities....yet one doesn't see them taking over the industry...

Its not as if this concept has happened before....will Oasis be a success where many have failed? Have they put together the perfect business plan? We'll know in due time....
"Up the Irons!"

StarGoldLHR

Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:44 pm

I think this route will create it's own market space amongst the poorer folk who wouldnt otherwise have been able to afford the £400+ tickets with BA/CX etc..

People who can afford £400 will remain paying with BA/VS etc as the service and product is good.

Those who have never been to HKG will consider it as a once in a life time holiday when they see a fare of around £250 (inc taxes) coupled with some cheap hotels.

I have my doubts about business class being viable though.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

BA380

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:05 am

the thing is, £75 single = £150 PLUS tax... and how many seats will actually be available at that rate...? £200 return all in is a lot less than 389, but once the 200 rate has gone, I wonder how price sensitive people are, and whether they might be happy to pay 100 quid more for full service?
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting BA380 (Reply 21):
I wonder how price sensitive people are, and whether they might be happy to pay 100 quid more for full service?

Good point, however, can you buy the £389 return price on the major carriers as one-way or short return tickets?

FXMD11

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 1):
this piece of news makes the situation even more difficult.

I am always very patient with these news and hesitate to give my 5cent to it.
Not sure if some remember, but a couple of years ago there was this so called
backpacker airline, which was supposed to serve Australia, Bangkok and Munich(?). It never took of. We had an airline here, called Phuket Air, and they offered pretty cheap flights to LON too, but then they were grounded. Sure the ex SQ 744 seems to be nice equipment and probably well maintained too, but I just do not see it happening.

shamrock350

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:01 am

The airline has further routes planned for Italy, Germany and North America. I'm going to watch this airline with some interest.
The chief executive said that Oasis Hong Kong Airlines will be the first airline to offer "low-fare, high-quality long-haul flights". So does that mean that the aircraft will have a great in-flight service but for only £75  Confused

MalpensaSFO

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 1):
Its unclear if the cheap fare will be a teaser, but low cost flights on a popular route like this could wreck yeilds on premium business routes like London-Hong Kong.

Someone told me there is a un-named "other" airline that cannot fly London to Hong Kong non-stop behind a chunk of the funding. Could this be Emirates?

The London-Hong Kong route is second to the London-New York route for yields. It is a prized route for British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, and Cathay Pacific. It should be most interesting to see what happens with this in the long term.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

oakjam

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:27 am

Wow Go Oasis. Can't wait for the HKG-OAK-ORD route. It will be lovely to see that wide body in Oakland land soon.

travelprpro

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:03 am

I have to note that Oasis will be utilizing Radixx International for its airline reservations and passenger management hosting services, and we're very proud to help contribute in a small way to this new business. (Very, very proud!) Believe me, the management of Oasis has gone through an exceedingly extensive planning process for this service, and although I can't say more at this point, I think this new business venture is going to work out very well for all concerned -- employees, investors and customers. And I sincerely think it's a watershed event for the long-haul transpacific airline market. I'll say more when the airline has announced more details, but I think it's an extremely exciting venture in modern commercial aviation.

travelprpro

Aither

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:55 am

If long range / "low costs" business models work, will the 747/A380 will be the workhorse like the 737/A320 are on regional markets ?
Never trust the obvious

UN_B732

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am

I'm sorry 83/285, the economy pitch must be through the roof?
What now?

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 29):

About 200 less than Corsair stuffs in theirs in charter configuration. Can't be all that bad. How about we wait and see before jumping to conclusions?

N754PR

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 am

A330's, Oasis did not mention A330's..... not that I've ever heard anyway.

Anyway has TF-AMA left Iberia yet as I want to see what the Oasis scheme is going to look like! Lets see in August then when they have their press thing.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

tommy777

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:35 am

81 seats in C and 278 in Y. Pretty standard amount of seats for this aircraft.

Don't see how they can make it without a route network (HKG is mostly a hub) and no frequent flyer program...

vv701

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:09 am

There is another (current) thread, 'Air Fares in Europe to Double', that discusses a proposed EU environment tax of £40 on every return ticket on intra-European flights.

If this tax comes to fruition the Oasis LGW-HKG service might just hit FR and EZ as some of their potential customers may decide to holiday in Hong Kong instead of Greece or Italy as the tax will reduce the price differential.

Indeed if the EU parliament and the European Commission see Oasis coming and think that an intra-Europe tax might result in a loss of business from EU holiday resorts to Hong Kong they may even change their minds and, for example, back the BA / Willie Walsh proposal instead.

AirWillie6475

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:54 pm

It's just a matter of time before we will start to see LCC long haul airlines, here's one example. I'm all for it, especially since they are said to fly North America - Hong Kong routes. I wouldn't mind no service for cheap prices, allthough I suspect the low prices are probably going to be temporary untill they have a customer base. Lets hope they have an interesting livery picked out for those 747s Smile Judging from their website, their company colors are orange and turquoise.

FlyboyOz

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:03 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 5):
Good luck to them! Oasis Hong Kong Airlines will use two former SQ 747s but a few months ago I heard they were going to use a new A330.

Does it mean they will have SQ's Y seats with PTVs and SQ's business class seats? Last time, Ansett Australia and Air Pacific leased/leases SQ aircraft. They have PTVs in Y.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

ANother

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Frankly, with $80bbl for fuel. This simply isn't possible.

Oasis will burn what, 40k gallons each way between HKG and LON. At$2.12 a gallon thats $85k. That's $236 for each of their 359 seats on board for fuel alone. While offers like this will attract some free advertising the prices are well below cost.

agmyvr

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:45 pm

I think they will success as long as they can keep their operating cost down, and it's easy for them since they are a new start up. wiith a 80+ old J seats cabin, bet they also target those Bizmen who have a tight budget; less than 300 Y seats, it's not that difficult to fill up the seats during the holiday seasons

however u only pay less when u book and pay early, and the fare will gradually go up to the actually departure date an penality for date changes?

StarGoldLHR

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 34):
There is another (current) thread, 'Air Fares in Europe to Double', that discusses a proposed EU environment tax of £40 on every return ticket on intra-European flights.

I would imagine there would be an £80 tax on Long Haul..
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

planemanofnz

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:36 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this old news?

drinkstrolley

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:28 pm

travel 14-15 hours per week by train.

Buy a car.

cornish

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 36):
Does it mean they will have SQ's Y seats with PTVs and SQ's business class seats? Last time, Ansett Australia and Air Pacific leased/leases SQ aircraft. They have PTVs in Y.

I think you'll find they have the previous generation SQ business class seats.

Quoting Tommy777 (Reply 33):
Don't see how they can make it without a route network (HKG is mostly a hub) and no frequent flyer program...

They are aiming to target strong O&D markets with large Chinese populations amongst others. LGW is just the first route for start up, but others are expected to follow. They have the rights for a fair few more already.

Pe@rson

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Drinkstrolley (Reply 41):
Buy a car.

And then get endless traffic delays, cause far more polution, not be able to relax as much, be more tired, be more irritable, spend more in fuel... The car. What a wonderful creation.

Quoting ANother (Reply 37):
Frankly, with $80bbl for fuel. This simply isn't possible.

Hence the lowest fares, often at absurd prices, are lead-in - they're encouraging you to buy. If the airline is sensible, it'll have a brilliant yield management system in place, so the actual fare you'd pay is probably much different to the person sitting next to you and probably much higher than the lead-in absurd fares.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 43):
If the airline is sensible, it'll have a brilliant yield management system in place, so the actual fare you'd pay is probably much different to the person sitting next to you and probably much higher than the lead-in absurd fares.

...just as all carriers do, whether lo-co or full service.

Pe@rson

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 44):
...just as all carriers do, whether lo-co or full service.

Not all, probably especially in developing countries.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 45):
Not all, probably especially in developing countries.

Well, apart from those ones then.....  tongue 

Tod

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting UN_B732 (Reply 29):

It is easy to fit 300+ Y seats between door 2 and the back of the plane and maintain a minimum 31 inch seat pitch.

Quoting FlyboyOz (Reply 36):
Does it mean they will have SQ's Y seats with PTVs and SQ's business class seats?

Probably not. IIRC - The ex-SQ 744 that CX bought didn't have any of the new stuff. In fact, at least two of them had the modern F seats removed and replaced with the original seats.

Anyone have tail or serial numbers for these planes?

thanks,

Tod

FlyboyOz

Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:53 am

Tod,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_Hong_Kong_Airlines

Wow! Wikipedia has got an information of new reg of aircraft for B744s. They are B-LFA and B-LFB.

Cheers!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

cloudyapple

Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Oasis will operate with the following preliminary schedule for this coming winter season:

9x Weekly, EGLL/EGKK times are estimates

O8 700 - VHHH/EGKK - B744 - 0130L/0600L - 2367 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
O8 706 - VHHH/EGKK - B744 - 1300L/1730L - 1457 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
O8 706 - VHHH/EGKK - B744 - 1430L/1900L - 3 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
O8 701 - EGKK/VHHH - B744 - 1355L/0955L+1 - 2367 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
O8 707 - EGKK/VHHH - B744 - 1940L/1540L+1 - 1 - 29/10/06-31/12/06
O8 707 - EGKK/VHHH - B744 - 1840L/1640L+1 - 1 - 01/01/07-24/03/07
O8 707 - EGKK/VHHH - B744 - 1940L/1540L+1 - 246 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
O8 707 - EGKK/VHHH - B744 - 2200L/1800L+1 - 5 - 29/10/06-24/03/07

Virgin will start double daily for the winter season:
VS 239 - VHHH/EGLL - A343 - 0205L/0655L+1 - 1234567 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
VS 238 - EGLL/VHHH - A343 - 2230L/1835L+1 - 1234567 - 29/10/06-24/03/07

Air New Zealand will start daily flights on the same day:
NZ 038 - VHHH/EGLL - B744 - 1900L/2330L - 1234567 - 29/10/06-24/03/07
NZ 039 - EGLL/VHHH - B744 - 1015L/0615L+1 - 1234567 - 29/10/06-24/03/07

So in all this winter season, weekly -
CX 28x VHHH/EGLL
BA 21x VHHH/EGLL
VS 14x VHHH/EGLL
QF 07x VHHH/EGLL
NZ 07x VHHH/EGLL
O8 09x VHHH/EGKK
--------------------------------------
Total = 86x weekly

[Edited 2006-07-11 15:15:22]
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

Pe@rson

Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:04 pm

When will seats be bookable?

If you get the £75 one-way deal, how much will tax, fees and other things total?

What, then, will be the minimum all-inclusive one-way price?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos