wolsingerjet

New Fedex Flight To CYEG Starts Dec.10/06.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:30 pm

Fedex will be adding a direct MEM-YEG flight starting Dec 10/06,the flight will use a MD-10 aircraft and will operate from monday to friday.The carrier currently serves YEG using 727-200 aircraft from YYZ,YWG,and YYC.A310s to YYC why the MD-10 to YEG???Anyone with a little insight?Good to atleast see the YEG cargo market get a boost...
Guess what???I dont like you either...

canuckjetsettr

RE: New Fedex Flight To Cyeg Starts Dec.10/06.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:16 am

Maybe there is a large amount of oil equipment that is shipped. However, for things like that companies usually charter cargo a/c like the An-124.

I saw a FedEx 310 land yesterday in YEG. Does anyone know if there are any plans to expand the cargo apron? With all the increases at the airport they may not be able to continue to park Puralator on Apron 2.

Finally, YEG gets daily wide-body service!

aviationwiz

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:53 am

Perhaps it's in advance of a new service boost beginning next year.
Proudly from the Home of the Red Tail.

wolsingerjet

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:05 am

I guess the MD-10 is for the initial busy x-mas season then its going to A310-200F service.Not good for Morningstar who was feeding YEG freight to the YYC-MEM run.The 727 on that run was always crammed with freight and lots was getting bumped,so the carrier decided to add its own run to YEG.The amount of north bound freight going beyond YEG was also taken into consideration.Apparently there are going to be feeder flights added to YQU,and YMM for this flight by a local carrier although no one knows who as the contract is currently being bid on...
Guess what???I dont like you either...

chrisnh

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:28 am

When I was visiting with the FedEx folks at Manchester (New Hampshire) a couple weeks ago, the station manager there told me that FedEx flies what he called 'suite flights.' Basically--as I understood it--a 'suite flight' is one that serves a station using a bigger plane than you'd expect. The nearest example to us is Portland, Maine, which gets an A310. The plane rarely fills coming out of PWM, and it's not supposed to. The job of a suite flight is to provide emergency capacity downstream should a plane break. This Portland flight actually did that a few weeks ago; it was airborne going from Portland down to Memphis when it reached Albany, NY. It abruptly turned around and headed due east...to Boston. Evidently a plane broke there and they sent the PWM flight to help out.

Not sure if this flight you're describing is one of these 'suite flights,' but it could divert to a place like MSP or MKE or a place like that if ever the need arose. Clearly, the Christmas season provides a major bump in lift everywhere. We have 3x A300-600s here each day now...2x MEM and 1x IND. After Thanksgiving the DC-10-30s and MD-10s are pretty much routine at MHT.

Chris in NH

fxramper

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:33 am

Look for my signature on a MD10 near you!  Wink

CosmicCruiser

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 4):
When I was visiting with the FedEx folks at Manchester (New Hampshire) a couple weeks ago, the station manager there told me that FedEx flies what he called 'suite flights.'

I think you may have misunderstood what he said just a little. We have certain flights denoted as "SWEEP FLIGHTS". They usually fly less than full and are always kept on the route, no directs, and are used to drop into any city along the way that may need extra lift.