MAH4546
Topic Author

Spirit Wants New FLL Int'l Terminal To Be Simple

Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:00 am

Plans are underway for a new international terminal at FLL that would give a much needed update to the aging T4. Fort Lauderdale-based Spirit Airlines, who has used FLL as a key part of expanding their network internationally, is hoping FLL keeps it "simple" and doesn't follow with MIA's expensive mistakes. Article:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/14981812.htm
a.

FL1TPA

RE: Spirit Wants New FLL Int'l Terminal To Be Simple

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:35 am

Being a former Spirit agent (TPA) myself I am all too familiar with the frugal management. I do agree that the new facility need not be a veritable "money pit" with high-end shops and sit-down gourmet restaurants.

RSW's new terminal is beautiful and simple. A couple fast food places, a book store and a few newsstands. It's open, airy and bright - completely opposite of the former RSW "dungeon."

I just hope it ends up more like the RSW terminal and not what Spirit would build on thier own:

Quote:
Spirit seeks something less fancy -- a box with windows.

FL1TPA
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue."

PSU.DTW.SCE

RE: Spirit Wants New FLL Int'l Terminal To Be Simple

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:18 am

Spirit made many of the same comments about the new North terminal in DTW when it was in the design phase. In fact, Spirit has objections to the new layout where everyone else wanted a long-linear design, but Spirit wanted more of the traditional concourse layout. Eventually, Spirit lost out, and the linear design won, but as somewhat of a compromise, they will use one of the ends which will be able to park aircraft on both sides of the terminal.