aircanada014

What Airline Should AC Invest In?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:07 am

Hello all

I was wondering what airline should AC invest in? We know there's a post just been put up regarding (ACE Hits Pay Dirt) here's the link. ACE Hits Pay Dirt (by Highflyer Jul 8 2006 in Civil Aviation)

We all know AC did so well in return investment on CO and now the new US.
Who's next to invest and make a return profit?

SLCUT2777

What Airline Should AC Invest In?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting AirCanada014 (Thread starter):
Who's next to invest and make a return profit?

DL looks more and more likely to have a very good plan coming out of BK and be profitable right out of the chute (compared especially with UA!), and perhaps AC can lure them out of the shaky SkyTeam alliance and into Star since HP/US reportedly wants out. Go ahead and eat dirt on this one, 'cause you know I'm right!!! Despite your hatred for Delta!

[Edited 2006-07-08 03:27:03]
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

aircanada014

RE: What Airline Should AC Invest In?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:33 am

I don't hate DL, I hate people posting so many of DL. I think you should make a seperate site for DLs only... Hey if AC does invest in DL then thats good too.
It would be interesting to see DL join Star Alliance.

320tech

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:01 am

I vote for Milton taking that big bag of money he's sitting on, and investing some of it in Air Canada.

Just to pick one spot I'm familiar with, the AC maintenance hangar in YWG badly needs some work and updating.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

SLCUT2777

Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:51 pm

Quoting AirCanada014 (Reply 2):
I don't hate DL, I hate people posting so many of DL. I think you should make a seperate site for DLs only... Hey if AC does invest in DL then thats good too.
It would be interesting to see DL join Star Alliance.

It seams there are more DL bashers on this site  duck ! Keep in mind that DL and AC are cousins already financially speaking, in that American Express administers their frequent flyer miles cards for both SkyMiles and AeroPlan miles respectively. I keep waiting for Costco Wholesale Warehouse to put together a deal for US members with DL and Canadian members with AC since Costco exclusively uses American Express at all US and Canadian warehouses (They kick the S*&% out of Sam's Club!). I'd love it if my Costco annual membership fee covered my American Express DL/SkyMiles card as well, and I'm sure AC American Express users can relate since many of them shop at Costco warehouses in Canada.
As for Star Alliance, I think DL is in reality the second US carrier Milton had in mind along with UA, but US was pushed off on them due to their one time merger deal with UA, and DL went off and started SkyTeam (another bad idea by Leo Mullin) vomit .
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

MastaHanky

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:29 pm

I was going to suggest SK. They're already in the same alliance, and SK could use a bit of a boost.

However, I just shot down my own idea, since it appears that AC doesn't serve any of Scandinavia, and SK doesn't serve Canada at all. I find that rather surprising....I would think there would at least be demand for a YYZ-CPH route.

So I guess you can throw this idea in the round filing cabinet...

aeroplan73

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Quoting 320tech (Reply 3):
I vote for Milton taking that big bag of money he's sitting on, and investing some of it in Air Canada.

They are investing in new interiors, fleet wide, and in new 777, and 787 aircraft.

I guess they are trying to secure happy passengers first, and then worry about maintenance building cosmetics.

You do make a valid point though. I wouldn't want to drive by the AC hangar at YVR, and see the neon sign falling off the building. I'd start to wonder, what would fall off the plane too.  spin 
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

bobnwa

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:27 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 1):
and perhaps AC can lure them out of the shaky SkyTeam alliance and into Star since HP/US reportedly wants out.

"shakey SkyTeam alliance"?? Please explain

par13del

Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:36 pm

The airline business is loosing money, flights are full yields are down, this is greater in the US rather than Canada, but the principle is the same.

So you have a airline with money to invest, why would you invest in the same loosing business that you are in?

Diversify, diversify, diversify. Airlines previously invested in hotel, car rental companies etc. Not really saying that they should go back there, but look around, has to be some other business related or not related to the airline industry for them to invest in. Look at what WN did to get money to keep their fuel cost down, people on this site call it "hedgeing", reality is that it was a business investment to provide funds to offset fuel cost.

Just a thought

bobnwa

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:15 am

Please change my shakey to shaky. I think I am getting shaky!

Still on this subject, shouldn't AC spend any cash it has on hand to pay down its rather sizeable debt before lookin to invest in another airline.

SLCUT2777

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:51 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 9):
Please change my shakey to shaky. I think I am getting shaky!

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 7):
SkyTeam alliance"?? Please explain

Take a good look at who is solvent and who isn't. NW is still a strong contender for an eventual Chapter 7, DL is slowly digging themselves out of the disaster that Leo left them with and CO is very disgruntled to say the least. AF/KLM is in SkyTeam just 'cause BA is in OneWorld and LH is in Star. As for an alliance, SkyTeam sucks! May they tombstone 

misbeehavin

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:40 pm

Quoting 320tech (Reply 3):
investing some of it in Air Canada.

Yep! AC needs to invest in itself first!

USPIT10L

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 1):
DL looks more and more likely to have a very good plan coming out of BK and be profitable right out of the chute (compared especially with UA!), and perhaps AC can lure them out of the shaky SkyTeam alliance and into Star since HP/US reportedly wants out.

Where did you get that info?! Especially about HP/US!?!? They are not leaving Star anytime soon, as it is their ticket to an instant global network, not to mention FF bonus/ugrades with each Star airline. As much as I love DL, they will NOT switch alliances anytime soon either.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

ac7e7

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 9):
Still on this subject, shouldn't AC spend any cash it has on hand to pay down its rather sizeable debt before lookin to invest in another airline.

AC does not have any sizeable debt except for long-term aircraft leases.

stormbringer

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:53 am

I think AC needs to invest in itself. Start with a few more people working the long lines at the check-in counters. Increased seat pitch would be nice. Ten years ago I was a loyal AC customer because their service was second to none. Last time I flew them about 18 months ago, their service was second to just about everybody. I fly 25min from YYJ to connect to Asiana at SEA and I get a snack and a beer courtesy of AS. I fly YVR to LAX on AC and practicaly need a second mortgage to buy a beer. These little things count when you have your choice of carriers. AC still acts like its got a monopoly.
It's not road rage. It's COURTESY ENFORCEMENT.

320tech

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:33 am

then worry about maintenance building cosmetics.

I'm not talking about cosmetics. I'm talking about updating 40 year old buildings and machinery to compete in a world wide market, of which AC claims to want to be a part.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos