Topic Author

Any Updates On The New Air NZ Colours?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:53 pm

Any updates on the new ANZ colours?

John
KiwiTEAL

NZ1
Crew

RE: Any Updates On The New Air NZ Colours?

Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:23 pm

Something should be released soon I am told. Can't say anymore than that at the moment sorry.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

CX Flyboy

Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:55 pm

This has been the longest lead up in history to something which does not sound like a major breakthrough. I see a major anticlimax coming.

nzrich

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:13 pm

All i can say is the wait had better be worth it!!!!!
I do hope the Maori designer put lots of korus on the fuselage like they have behind the check in desks that looks really good
"Pride of the pacific"

Zkpilot

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting CX flyboy (Reply 2):
This has been the longest lead up in history to something which does not sound like a major breakthrough. I see a major anticlimax coming.

yes it has been, I sure hope it won't be.

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 4):
puts lots of korus on the fuselage like they have behind the check in desks ,that looks really good..

yes me too... unfortuneatly the rollout of the scheme behind the desks etc is not going very fast... the service desk at AKL, the intl transfer desk at AKL for example.

I understand that the lounge "bach" upgrades are progressing nicely and they should all be completed in a reasonable time frame.

As a side thought... I think it would be really awesome if NZ's entire intl fleet were named after cities/provinces. Currently it is only the 744's and it is a small sticker with a unrecognisable picture and tiny writing. The writing needs to be the size (about 3 times larger) that QF uses for its intl aircraft.
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

Pulkovokiwi

Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing at NZ? This is such a non event.
I thought I was wrong but I was only joking!

NZ8800

Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:42 am

It would be good if they have those extra koru designs going up the fuselage. And I wish they would start naming their aircraft again properly. NAC had all the Friendships with bird names like Kahu, Koweka, Kotare, Karuwai... TEAL named their Electras Aotearoa, Akaroa and Atarau...
Apart from the Pathetic Wave I rather like the current livery though - I'm almost hoping they don't change it!
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

777ER
Crew

Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:26 am

Any word yet on what aircraft will get the honours?
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

skyhigh

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting NZ8800 (Reply 6):
Apart from the Pathetic Wave I rather like the current livery though - I'm almost hoping they don't change it!

Without the "pathetic wave", you have an all white plane with just Air New Zealand written on it. Sure the tail is nice but it doesn't make up for boring white fuselage, not even the engines are painted!

Just another unimaginative eurowhite to add to the ever growing list!!

Hopefully the new look will break free from the current trend and add a splash of colour somewhere. There are so many unique NZ designs that could be used.

Sadly I am not holding my breath for anything too spectacular.

ZKSUJ

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Hope its as good as its made out to be. I first thought it was a minoir change, but now it sounds a little more than minor

KiwiTEAL
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:57 pm

I just hope to god that its not too "maori"...... I have all respect and affilliation with our native New Zealanders, but I do doubt the concepts of the "designer set", who tend to run with trends that at times are simply "over the top".

I will always like the clean and distinguished Air NZ colours of the 70's and 80's. It made the airline look GOOD around the world - albeit being one of the smaller international carriers. In those days it signified "pride"....... now its plain old white (low maintenance) with a presentable tail fin, and a wiggly line down each side...... typical designer trendies stuff.

Lets see what goes down ?

John
KiwiTEAL

767er

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:06 pm

This must be the most drawn out airline livery release known to man kind. I hope the wait will be worth it!

I wonder how soon is soon!
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

final47

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:45 pm

any ideas what it will look like? like a piture?

NZ1
Crew

Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Can't post a picture yet. Just be patient.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

NZ747

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting KiwiTEAL (Reply 10):
I just hope to god that its not too "maori"...... I have all respect and affilliation with our native New Zealanders, but I do doubt the concepts of the "designer set", who tend to run with trends that at times are simply "over the top".

I couldn't agree more. New Zealand has many cultures, not just the one that seems to be taking over everything at Air NZ lately. As you say, a bit over the top.

NZ747

Pulkovokiwi

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:43 am

We have been hearing "it's just around the corner" for the last three months.

NZ8800

Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:34 am

Maybe they were going to release it - then thought, no, want to modify the design. It happens...
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

nzstevenc

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting KiwiTEAL (Reply 10):

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 14):
I couldn't agree more. New Zealand has many cultures, not just the one that seems to be taking over everything at Air NZ lately. As you say, a bit over the top.

Groan...

There are plenty of things a livery can represent other than culture.

The green landscape, the ferns, greenstone, sea, etc, have been there a lot longer than the Maori.

And as far as I know, the Europeans have not produced any unique way of representing these, in the same way the Maori represent ferns as koru, etc. Given this style is unique to New Zealand and shows off a number of the beautiful aspects of our country (inculding the landscape, fauna AND culture) , I wouldn't have anything else on the tail of our national carrier.

New Zealanders, especially ex-pats, would go into shock if we lost this styling from our aircraft. I'm always proud to see a NZ bird in LHR or any other world airport, or even in AKL or at home in NPL.

ZKSUJ

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Nzstevenc (Reply 17):
Zealanders, especially ex-pats, would go into shock if we lost this styling from our aircraft. I'm always proud to see a NZ bird in LHR or any other world airport, or even in AKL or at home in NPL.

I could not agree more. The current tail (the koru) is an International trademark or symbol to NZ. It is as significant as the 'kris' is to SQ and the wavy arrow/spear thingy is to TG

aerokiwi

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 18):
The current tail (the koru) is an International trademark or symbol to NZ. It is as significant as the 'kris' is to SQ and the wavy arrow/spear thingy is to TG

I think, like MH, the Thai logo is a kite of some kind.

Quoting 767ER (Reply 11):
This must be the most drawn out airline livery release known to man kind. I hope the wait will be worth it!

Actually, I think the Thai colour change was pretty drawn out and then there was the apparent shambles of MH a few years back. I suspect the delays have more to do with the political situaiton - hard to splash out on something extravagant like a livery change when you're crying poor. Though perhaps there were also complications with the new design.

NZFan

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 19):
Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 18):
The current tail (the koru) is an International trademark or symbol to NZ. It is as significant as the 'kris' is to SQ and the wavy arrow/spear thingy is to TG

I think, like MH, the Thai logo is a kite of some kind.

I thought TG logo was was 70s representation of an orchid or something

NZ747

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:53 am

Quoting NZFan (Reply 20):

If you rotate the Thai symbol 90 degrees clockwise, you will see a very common symbol/shape scheme used in Thailand. You may be right about it being an orchid. Also looks kind of like a Thai temple, or traditional Thai head wear thing?

Quoting Nzstevenc (Reply 17):
And as far as I know, the Europeans have not produced any unique way of representing these

Yeah, I guess you're right. Some Europeans do have a modernised lack of culture. I have no problem with the Maori symbols, and would never like to see the koru get replaced.

The New livery will look good with more 'New Zealand' symbolism like the Koru, but I hope it won't look too OTT.

My biggest concern is that Air NZ is going to get rid of the blue (represents the sea?), and only have green and white on the airframe. Even so, I'm sure we will all eventually grow to like it. Just like when the new uniform first came out I used to think it looked horrible. But now, I think it looks really good (except on the chubby Air NZ people...I'm sure some will know what i mean).

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see  Smile

NZ747

kiwiflyer791

Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:59 pm

To be honest I can't beleve they are still bothering with this. Rumour isthe airline is about to park up 747s due to poor loadings and returns so spending money on pots of paint seems rather stupid at the moment

NZFan

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting NZ747 (Reply 21):
My biggest concern is that Air NZ is going to get rid of the blue (represents the sea?), and only have green and white on the airframe. Even so, I'm sure we will all eventually grow to like it. Just like when the new uniform first came out I used to think it looked horrible. But now, I think it looks really good

I will have to agree with you on that one i do think that the uniforms are looking real good.

aerokiwi

Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting NZFan (Reply 20):

Actually, considering their marketing and so on (Royal Orchid etc), I think you are probaby correct.

Quoting Kiwiflyer791 (Reply 22):
To be honest I can't beleve they are still bothering with this. Rumour isthe airline is about to park up 747s due to poor loadings and returns so spending money on pots of paint seems rather stupid at the moment

I can't say I've heard this one, what are your sources? My understanding was that, if anything, the 747 fleet is stretched to the limit in terms of workload.

kiwiflyer791

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 24):
I can't say I've heard this one, what are your sources? My understanding was that, if anything, the 747 fleet is stretched to the limit in terms of workload.

Air NZ just announced they are pulling out of Singapore and replaceing NZ1 & NZ2 with 777s. Sad that yet another Asian Detination has disappeared off the radar. The 747s that were doing NZ1 & 2 will be parked up. 777s with only 2 engines are proving a winner with the price of gas these days!
Can't quite understand why they are continuing the upgrade programme with SUH entering the hangar this week when this plane will be parked up when done.

Pulkovokiwi

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:23 pm

SQ always hammered NZ on the AKL-SIN route so not totally surprised. Load factor was always low . Singaporeans are very loyal and much prefer SQ to NZ. Thought NZ would have waited a while longer. Fyfe is certainly very erratic.

flyjetstar

Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 pm

Quoting Kiwiflyer791 (Reply 25):
Can't quite understand why they are continuing the upgrade programme with SUH entering the hangar this week when this plane will be parked up when done.

Is that right? I'm sure they are not just going to leave them "parked up" until they bring them back on AKL-LAX-LHR in Dec/Jan. The press release also states that the Airline is well advanced in planning for the possibility of new international routes so can we assume that these aircraft will be used elsewhere?

TG992

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:00 pm

Let me see..

Routes that would be impossible to operate with twin engine aircraft..

Routes to an area that will soon have a large gap in capacity due to the disappearance of their national carrier..

Any clues yet?  Wink
-

flyjetstar

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting TG992 (Reply 28):
Routes to an area that will soon have a large gap in capacity due to the disappearance of their national carrier..

Yeah thats what I thought too but then I remembered recent talk about this being two years or so away. But hey Fyfe is making this an interesting ride!

NZ1
Crew

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting Kiwiflyer791 (Reply 25):

Because once NZ1/2 changes back to 744 over Summer, and AKL-HKG-LHR starts, we will need the entire fleet. If anything, it takes the pressure of ANZES to have SUH upgraded on time.

TG992 - The last I heard, this was a serious possibility. Will be interesting to see if Rob & Co accelerate planning on this.

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

Pulkovokiwi

Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:34 pm

Varig-who what where? NZ from Auckland to Frankfurt via Rio sounds good to me if its allowed.

pilotdude09

Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:32 pm

Any clues yet?

LOL
South America would be a good market for NZ, i still believe that South Africa would be a good destination via Perth NZ could do extremley well out of that with the amount of south Africans living in Perth and NZ!!
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 32):
i still believe that South Africa would be a good destination via Perth NZ could do extremley well out of that with the amount of south Africans living in Perth and NZ!!

I believe they are looking at rescheduling PER flights to connect with SAA's PER-JNB flight. I also heard that they are looking at retiming PER flights to connect with US flights ex AKL. So they could do

NZ7 SFO AKL 0530
NZ1 LAX AKL 0530
NZ175 AKL 0630 PER 0900
SA280 PER 0900 SA281 1100
NZ176 PER 1015 AKL 2140
NZ2 AKL LAX 2300

Something like that.

AKL-HKG-LHR and 1 daily AKL-LAX uses just 5 744's and they decided to keep SUH so I sure hope they have plans for atleast 2 of those 3 aircraft with 1 spare. South Aperica sounds good but surely they would only fly it 3x weekly initially atleast, that would use 1 744.

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:35 pm

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 24):

Anything but. The only route the 747 will be flying year round will be AKL-MEL and AKL-HKG-LHR. Will it still be flying AKL-LAX?

South America! As much as I would like to see this happen, surely South america can't warrant 747 capacity from Auckland, unless of course this route was extended onto europe  bouncy 

Quoting NZ1 (Reply 30):
Because once NZ1/2 changes back to 744 over Summer, and AKL-HKG-LHR starts, we will need the entire fleet.

And what will happen once the summer ends at the end of January? 747's will be parked in Auckland, am I wrong?  brokenheart 

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:45 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 34):
Anything but. The only route the 747 will be flying year round will be AKL-MEL and AKL-HKG-LHR. Will it still be flying AKL-LAX?

I think he means now, well atleast I hope he does. Also AKL-BNE and yes i'd say they will have to stay on NZ5/6 to LAX, otherwise they will be short of 777's.

Hopefully they will be able to reschedule NZ5/6 back to the 1615 departure ex AKL getting to LAX at 0715 in the NZ summer so it catches the morning connections to the East Coast.

South America! As much as I would like to see this happen, surely South america can't warrant 747 capacity from Auckland, unless of course this route was extended onto europe

Well nothing else can fly there non stop at the moment, I wouldn't say never to a Europe tag on.

And what will happen once the summer ends at the end of January? 747's will be parked in Auckland, am I wrong?

They will probably use them on other routes, possibly SFO.

planemanofnz

Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:53 pm

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 35):
They will probably use them on other routes, possibly SFO.

Then could the SFO 777's be going to PER or on the NAN/APW-LAX flights?

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:13 pm

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 36):

Then could the SFO 777's be going to PER or on the NAN/APW-LAX flights?

I doubt it myself.

AKL-LAX-LHR 3 aircraft
AKL-KIX 1 aircraft
AKL-NRT 1 aircraft
AKL-PVG 0.5 aircraft initially

Thats only 5.5 of 8 aircraft but obviously NZ won't have 2 new 777's sitting around all day, maybe SFO might use a mixture of 744's and 777's or may stay all 777's meaning that 7.5 777's will be in use and the 744's will go somewhere else, they probably won't increase SFO frequency yet, never no though. I suspect there is another new route coming.

Pure guess work really.

VirginFlyer

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:27 pm

Folks, perhaps you could start a new thread on what the 744s may or may not be doing, or discuss it in the thread about Singapore being dropped, because this is somewhat off the topic of the new colours...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Zkpilot

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:17 pm

I have heard (but have yet to confirm for myself) that there is a 744 parked up in a hanger at AKL that has been repainted in the new scheme... and has a tarp covering it....o0o0o how secretive...  Wink anyone out there able to confirm? NZ1?  Wink
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 39):
I have heard (but have yet to confirm for myself) that there is a 744 parked up in a hanger at AKL that has been repainted in the new scheme... and has a tarp covering it....o0o0o how secretive... Wink anyone out there able to confirm? NZ1?

I doubt it. ZK-NBS did a test flight yesterday in current colours and ZK-SUH was parked outside last Sunday, they can't paint a 744 that fast can they. There were no other 744's around the Jetbase that day.

NZ1
Crew

Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 39):
I have heard (but have yet to confirm for myself) that there is a 744 parked up in a hanger at AKL that has been repainted in the new scheme... and has a tarp covering it....o0o0o how secretive... Wink anyone out there able to confirm? NZ1? Wink

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 40):
I doubt it. ZK-NBS did a test flight yesterday in current colours and ZK-SUH was parked outside last Sunday, they can't paint a 744 that fast can they. There were no other 744's around the Jetbase that day.

ZK-NBT is right, NBS test flew yesterday, and ZK-SUH is still in current colours. To repaint a 744 properly takes up to 14 days depending on what is being done. I can't tell you anymore at the moment, except to say the usual, "wait, for the time being". Sorry, but my hands are severely tied on this one chaps (and chapettes).

NZ1
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

Kereru

Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting NZ1 (Reply 41):
I can't tell you anymore at the moment, except to say the usual, "wait, for the time being"

Let me know when the news breaks I have camera at ready and can be at AKL to snap it in 15 minutes tops. Just kidding.

I am sure it will be worth the wait and will be here soon enough. As my signature says "Good things take Time."

Cheers,

old 
Good things take Time.

ZKSUJ

Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Kereru (Reply 42):
As my signature says "Good things take Time."

Do you work in the cheese company?  Wink Big grin

Hope its worth the wait