jfk69

North American Airlines Out Of JFK

Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:29 am

Not really sure if I have just been paying more attention recently or if they have increased service but I have been seeing more and more NAA aircraft landing and taking off out of JFK. I see on their website that they seem to fly to a few places in africa and a couple of other destinations, but I was wondering how the loads are on these flights?

wjcandee

RE: North American Airlines Out Of JFK

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:33 pm

You're probably seeing more JFK activity for NAO because they are flying more, and their fleet is a smidge larger. According to the World Air Holdings 10K for 2005 (they acquired NAO in 2005), it seems to say that their utilization is up substantially. NAO had been doing a good deal of flying from the West Coast to Hawaii, thus tying up a couple of its aircraft out there, but that ended in, I think, September. Since then, those aircraft have been redeployed to military charter and ad-hoc, track, and ACMI commercial charter, which probably makes them see the East Coast more often. You'll see many of their military flights moving from Europe and points downstream to various locations in the USA, including DFW. Sometimes, rather than refuel at Gander or Bangor, NAO will route those flights through JFK, their home base, where it is presumably easier to do maintenance and change crews.

You're also seeing more of them at JFK because they are operating subservice for Air Jamaica during the summer. If you look at their flight tracker, many of the flights shown aren't flown with NAO flight numbers. The flights to Montego Bay and St. Georges are Air Jamaica flights, which benefit from using the NAO 757 rather than the Air Jamaica A320 or (worse) the A321 on those stage lengths, because they often had to leave bags and cargo behind. The Flights to Georgetown Guyana and points in Africa, on the other hand, are flown as NAO flights. Even this will increase when the Lagos, Nigeria flights come on later in the year. However, I believe that when DL starts flying JFK-ACC (which is one of NAO's present routes, one it recently developed), the NAO service on that route may see lower loads and might have to go bye-bye. We'll see.

The rest of the flights that you regularly see (say to Trinidad and Aruba) are, I believe, track charter flights for vacation operators that used to be handled by Transmeridien before it folded. Some of the Transmeridien execs moved over to World Air Holdings, and so may have influenced some of their customers to come over to NAO. You'll also see some ad hoc charters for various purposes cropping up from time to time. The White House press corps comes to mind, for example. There's a somewhat-dated history of the airline on their web site at www.flynaa.com

Hope this helps.

PS If you didn't know, I think that their fleet now has 4 767-300ER and 5 757-200 aircraft, all ETOPS-certified.

[Edited 2006-07-10 06:40:36]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos