ORDTerminal1
Topic Author

How Do Mileage Credit Cards Give Revenue?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 pm

Question is pretty self explanatory. If somebody cashes in their credit card miles on an airline, how does the airline get revenue? Does the credit card company essentially pay the fare, and if so is it a standard fare, slightly augmented or reduced?
717, 727, 732,733, 734, 735, 738, 742, 744, 752, 763, 319, 320, 340, F100

ANother

RE: How Do Mileage Credit Cards Give Revenue?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:04 pm

They buy the miles from the airline - at a flat cents per mile basis.

Birdwatching

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:10 pm

AAdvantage comes to mind. You can buy large quantities of miles from them for your own marketing campaigns (assuming you're a halfway large company).

It's sort of like buying miles for yourself in case you need a couple thousand more for a reward. Only on a much larger scale.

http://www.aadvantage.com/aadvantage.com/introduction.jsp

I'd love to know how much a mile costs wholesale.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

N328KF

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 2):
AAdvantage comes to mind. You can buy large quantities of miles from them for your own marketing campaigns (assuming you're a halfway large company).

It's sort of like buying miles for yourself in case you need a couple thousand more for a reward. Only on a much larger scale.

AAdvantage is more complex than just Citibank buying miles, though. It's definitely a symbiotic relationship, as AA does a lot of the marketing themselves.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

Venezuela747

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 am

Also the Credit Card companies charge the person a few dollars more a months if it is a Mileage Credit Card....they use that money to buy the miles (not exactly but similar)
ROLL TIDE!!!

airbazar

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:11 am

Lets see. In the US you need 25,000 miles for an economy r/t ticket. At the standard rate of 1 mile per dollar spent, that comes up to the grand total of $25,000 for an economy r/t ticket that would probably not cost you more that $300-$500  dollarsign  dollarsign  dollarsign  Do you really have to ask where the revenue comes from?  cool 

AeroWesty

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 2):
I'd love to know how much a mile costs wholesale.

According to this report:

http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/press/AnalysisLiabilityRewards2006.pdf

... it's about a penny per mile for bulk corporate accounts such as credit card issuers. So for every standard domestic award issued by an airline, they're receiving about $250 when it's sourced from an affinity plan.
International Homo of Mystery

n844aa

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 5):
Lets see. In the US you need 25,000 miles for an economy r/t ticket. At the standard rate of 1 mile per dollar spent, that comes up to the grand total of $25,000 for an economy r/t ticket that would probably not cost you more that $300-$500 Do you really have to ask where the revenue comes from?

Point taken, of course, but a.) I'm going to use a credit card anyway; might as well get something for it; b.) if the ticket I'm going to buy is $300-500, I'm probably just going to pay cash for it and save the miles for walk-up tickets, or tickets to Europe or something; and c.) at least on AA, the miles I accrue with my card count toward one-million and two-million mile status, which confer lifetime gold and platinum elite status respectively. Now, my spending alone isn't going to get me anywhere close to the million-mile mark, but hey, every little bit helps Big grin
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

dartland

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting ORDTerminal1 (Thread starter):
Question is pretty self explanatory. If somebody cashes in their credit card miles on an airline, how does the airline get revenue? Does the credit card company essentially pay the fare, and if so is it a standard fare, slightly augmented or reduced?

Aside from the relationship above where credit card companies buy miles from the airlines to give to you (at roughly 1cent per mile, although generally a little higher than that), other credit cards that have their own rewards programs may also buy tickets directly from the airlines for the customer. In those cases, they usually have a set pricing schedule with reduced fares.