azza40

Cubana And Western Products

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:13 am

Why have Cubana not yet switched to Western made aircraft, and if not, when would they?

Aaron  sly 
Not been on here for a good 2/3 years!

pgtravel

RE: Cubana And Western Products

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:55 am

In a way, they have. I don't know if it's still the case, but when I flew MEX-HAV in 2003, it was on a wet-leased TA 320. As for buying their own, the economic embargo means they wouldn't be buying from the US, so it would have to be Airbus (or a used Boeing?). My guess is that they just don't have the money for it.

pavlin

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:10 am

They will surely buy some Airbuses.

LTU932

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Azza40 (Thread starter):
Why have Cubana not yet switched to Western made aircraft, and if not, when would they?

US Economic embargo. That also means in a way that they cannot obtain aircraft from neither Boeing or Airbus due to the American parts in them. The only way they can use Western equipment is through wetleases, like with those Irish registered TA A320s (which have a EI-TA* format) or through other means like the Hola Airlines 735 they wetleased.

The CU case could be compared a bit with IR or other airlines in Iran, which are also banned from buying anything with US components in them, however they do acquire aircraft second hand, like some Fokkers and A300s. I don't know if it is the same as with Cuba though.

RAFVC10

Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
the Hola Airlines 735 they wetleased

Actually they are operating 752 wet-leased from Hola Airlines too.
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

LTU932

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 4):

Thanks for the correction. I shouldn't have forgotten this though, because I already saw that aircraft at SJO a week and a half ago.  

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 4):
Actually they are operating 752 wet-leased from Hola Airlines too.

I didn't know that, but I recall in a topic I made, where somebody said that they were due to recall (at least) that 737 back to Spain for the Summer season.

[Edited 2006-07-12 22:21:11]

lijnden

Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:32 am

In the DC-8 era (60's and 70's) they leased DC-8's from Air Canada (Trans Canada?). In the 80's the IL62 was the plane. In the 90's DC-10's were flying to major cities in Europe, Canada and South America. Funny how Fidel Castro survived so far 9 different US presidents, the fall of the Iron Curtain and many economical sanctions! He must one of the longest man in power now. I guess there is more to these cigars...
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAH-ORF

csturdiv

Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:58 am

Didn't they just order or receicve some new IL96s?
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

LTU932

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting Csturdiv (Reply 10):
Didn't they just order or receicve some new IL96s?

Yes, they did, but at least one of those is a VIP aircraft which can be pulled from service whenever Castro needs it to fly somewhere. And I guess they were ordered to replace the IL-62, which is pretty much banned from flying in many countries due to noise regulations. That's also a reason why CU wetleases equipment.

Tiburones27

Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:48 pm

They bought two IL-96, one of them for Castro and the other one for passenger purposes....both of them were financiated by his "buddy" Hugo Chavez....

aal0616

Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:09 am

The reality is that short of creative leasing agreements with neutral or Castro-friendly nations such as Venezuela, or companies such as TACA, Cubana is in a straight-jacket since their former Soviet aircraft suppliers cannot meet its needs or, put more precisely, its potential.

With American Eagle and other US carriers flying to multiple Cuban destinations on a daily basis, there is a surreal aspect to the situation currently. It is in Cubana's interest that relations somehow normalize someday soon, with vision and rational thinking on both sides.

Boeing and/or Airbus equipment would probably appear on Cubana flightlines within five minutes or so of normalization of relations, although either might insist upon cash in advance from the Cuban government if Cubana remains state controlled following the transition that normalization might bring.

The Pan Am-founded Cubana de Aviacion could really benefit from a rational Boeing fleet mix of 767-757-737 aircraft, or Airbus 330-320 family aircraft, and, certainly, Bombardier or Embraer RJ and turboprops for local services. I suspect that the success enjoyed by hard working Cubans in Florida free to achieve their potential can be acheived by Cubana personnel free to compete and win business with their traditional warmth and hospitality.

Meanwhile, everyone loses, especially Cubana, so close but so far from passengers in Miami and New York, where they once flew very competitively with Lockheed Constellations, no less.