deltadc9

787 Production Method Demo Video

Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:23 am

I was not able to find anything like this with the search. This is pretty interesting video of the robot tape laying process and the spinning mandrel.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...vfile?coll=sfla-business-headlines
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

DAYflyer

RE: 787 Production Method Demo Video

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:02 am

TOO COOOOOOL. Awesome Video! Thanks for posting this.
One Nation Under God

aeropiggot

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:02 am

Cool!!, automated tape layup, now that is one way to reduce cost?

thanks for sharing.
A scientist discovers that which exists, an engineer creates that which never was.

nonfirm

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:06 am

That was a great video.Thanks

deltadc9

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Thread starter):
automated tape layup

The thickness of the barrel at any point is controlled and variable. The tape is laid in multiple directions also.

This is the difference between what Airbus is doing with the 380 tail cone and the 787. Every process before this is now stone age technology.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

katekebo

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:23 am

I think this is as big technology step as when ship-building moved from wood to steel. This will revolutionize the industry and change the rules of the game. Congratulations to Boeing for taking the lead.

aeropiggot

Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:32 am

Quote:
DeltaDC9: The thickness of the barrel at any point is controlled and variable. The tape is laid in multiple directions also.

This is the difference between what Airbus is doing with the 380 tail cone and the 787. Every process before this is now stone age technology.

Good point of about the difference between the A380 tail cone layup sequence, and what the 787 is doing. Boeing can now optimise the layup sequence, for applied loads, stress concentrations etc., therefore creating a lighter weight design. This differs significantly from the way it is done in other places.
A scientist discovers that which exists, an engineer creates that which never was.

aircanada014

Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:50 am

Yes this was posted way back when Boeing started their production. I remember seeing this video. Very nice though  Smile

dimondan

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:10 am

I really enjoyed this video... I'm always trying to find videos and pictures of the building of the 787
"Approaching V-1"

himself

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 am

Yeah, I've seen this video before and the link to the Flight International article that had the video was posted here, but I could never get that video to play right -- always stopping and jerking. This one played well. Thanks!

SeJoWa

Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:58 pm

Very nice video.

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 4):

The thickness of the barrel at any point is controlled and variable. The tape is laid in multiple directions also.

According to http://www.airbus.com/en/worldwide/airbus_in_spain.html

"...Innovative manufacturing technologies for the use of fibre placement, automatic tape laying and resin transfer moulding are found in these sites."

The devil is in the details. I hope for Boeing's soaring spirits that the 787 will turn out to be a tasty D light.

autothrust

Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:17 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 4):

Oh cmon please come down from you hype.  Yeah sure Dont let us forget the A380 has the biggest composite centre wingbox ever made and about al-alloys wich in your eyes are stone age technology:

Quote:

www.alcoa.com

We produced the largest, high-strength, fatigue-resistant upper and lower wing skins ever made.
We manufactured the largest, most damage-tolerant fuselage sheet ever created.
And we engineered new multi-material lockbolts for the assembly of the A380’s center wing box as well as the largest ever wing spar and new landing gear forgings to hold up under the pounding of a lifetime of takeoffs and landings.

This parts couldnt be made with same effect of composites. Even the 787 isnt fully made of composites(AFAIK 63%) and i doubt future aircrafts will be 100% composite.
“Faliure is not an option.”

deltadc9

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting AutoThrust (Reply 11):
Oh cmon please come down from you hype. Dont let us forget the A380 has the biggest composite centre wingbox ever made and about al-alloys wich in your eyes are stone age technology:

Calm down, this is about fuselage construction, not wing boxes, and not what Airbus is doing.

There has been much debate about the A-380 tailcone, and how it is made. It does not need to be made like this and it isnt. That was my only point.

Also, "stone age" referred to previous CFRP layup methods, not things like robotic welding of advanced alloys, while impressive, are just not relevant to this discussion.

autothrust

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 12):
Also, "stone age" referred to previous CFRP layup methods, not things like robotic welding of advanced alloys, while impressive, are just not relevant to this discussion

Ok my apologizes for my misunderstanding. We shouldn't forget at the time the A380 tail cone was designed A& B expertise in composites was not that advanced.
“Faliure is not an option.”

CptGermany

Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:46 am

Thank you DeltaDC9. Great video clip. It's amazing how modern planes are manufactured nowadays. Can't wait to see a clip in the "Dreamliner built in 7 minutes" style.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos