NZ8800
Topic Author

Brisbane Airport 1980s

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:28 am

I've tried to find some historical information on Brisbane Eagle Farm prior to the 1988 expansion, with little luck.
I have vague memories of a visit there aged 5 in 1984, with an international terminal that was like an enlarged shed; and contrast that to the impressive and spacious version on the other side of the runway that is there today.
Older maps of Brisbane seem to show smaller runways to the bottom of the present airport - was that the extent of Eagle Farm?
How many runways were there, and how long were they? Does Brisbane have more airlines flying there today than it had back then?
MDZWTA ~ Mobile Disaster Zone When Travelling Abroad

eta unknown

RE: Brisbane Airport 1980s

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:44 pm

The old international terminal was in fact a converted cargo shed- it was also a very big embarassment. It was located the other side of the tarmac and the taxi time from gate to runway was at least five minutes going at near full speed. There were no airbridges. Airline count into BNE has increased since then, but the shed was quite active for a city the size of BNE was at the time.
If I remember correctly, the shed count was:

QF NZ FJ NF ON PX SB
BA CO UA-for a very brief time
GA SQ MH TG BI PR CX JL NH

VirginFlyer

RE: Brisbane Airport 1980s

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:41 pm

Quoting ETA Unknown (Reply 1):
The old international terminal was in fact a converted cargo shed

And it is now a cargo shed once more - I never saw it as a passenger terminal, but just from looking at it it does look decidedly mediocre for that.

Quoting NZ8800 (Thread starter):
How many runways were there, and how long were they?

I can't tell you the dimensions, but I believe there were two runways in a 'T' layout. Part of one of them is now Taxyway Papa - have a look at the Aerodrome Chart from the Departure and Approach Procedures. This Google Maps picture shows a pretty good view of the old runways.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos