RST, SAN, GSP, SBN, BTR, GTF, CLE

Group 10:

12.Dec.06

AZO, SNA, TUS, ORF, HPN, JAN, FCA

Group 11:

19.Dec.06 -

GEG, RAP, VPS, GSO, SJC, PIT, ICT

There you have it.

So all in all 69 cities will lose NW ground people, as of right now 7 stations will be taken over by ZW and 13 by XJ (for now)

[Edited 2006-07-16 04:50:16]

ABQopsHP

RE: NW Outsourced Stations, Dates And Cities

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:54 am

Well I guess I better contact my friends at NW in ABQ, and find out what they are going to do. I wish all NW ground staff at these stations good luck. Outsourcing.....is wrong wrong wrong....but thats my opinion.
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

ERJ170

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Is it possible the NW could outsource their ground work to CO? or will it be outsourced to an express carrier?
Aiming High and going far..

fdex727

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Any word yet on who will handle GSO, CLT and RDU. Also, will CO continue to ground handle NW in GSO.

theLUREnyc

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:02 pm

Is this both customer and ramp service? Re: ZW - - AirWisconsin handling NW? They're not related in any way. That's odd.

OttoPylit

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Thread starter):
So all in all 69 cities will lose NW ground people, as of right now 7 stations will be taken over by ZW and 13 by XJ (for now)

Does it appear that most cities will become staffed like this, by NW Express groundcrews or be outsourced to other airlines?

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

InTheSky74

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:09 pm

So who will be ground handling NW in ABE?

Why did you say that 13 were being taken over by XJ (for now)?

Rob

burnsie28

Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting InTheSky74 (Reply 6):
Why did you say that 13 were being taken over by XJ (for now)?

XJ has to survive first, other then what I posted, I don't have anymore details.

Quoting Fdex727 (Reply 3):
Also, will CO continue to ground handle NW in GSO.

GSO has NW employee's of some sort, otherwise it wouldnt be on the list.

Quoting ABQopsHP (Reply 1):
Outsourcing.....is wrong wrong wrong....but thats my opinion.

I fully agree

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 2):
Is it possible the NW could outsource their ground work to CO? or will it be outsourced to an express carrier?

Whoever bids lowest.

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 4):
Is this both customer and ramp service?

Yes everything, which is just sad.

Quoting TheLUREnyc (Reply 4):
ZW - - AirWisconsin handling NW? They're not related in any way

If they bid the lowest

Quoting OttoPylit (Reply 5):
Does it appear that most cities will become staffed like this, by NW Express groundcrews or be outsourced to other airlines?

Again, whoever bids the lowest.

bohica

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 7):
Quoting Fdex727 (Reply 3):
Also, will CO continue to ground handle NW in GSO.

It might be a representative of NW such as a station manager or supervisor.

flypdx

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:37 pm

Are the ground employees being relocated if they want to, or are they just being laid off?

ejmmsu

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 7):

The CSR's at GSO are full NW employees, and very nice people at that. However, NW hasn't had a mainline jet into GSO in almost a year. It is hard to keep staffing express stations with full-pay mainline employees when your competitors are staffing them with lowly-paid express employess.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

AZFLYER84

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Outsourcing in such a huge manner is never a good situation, you always save money, but service is a huge factor. It depends on the situation though, if you are merely replacing express people with stations that just have express, there are few problems. But if you contract out to another carrier, problems occur. The lack of care for the customers and procedures will come into conflict. Basically NW keeps heading down the way to chapter 7. I really hoped the management team wouldn't outsource, but they did, and with this goes morale, and with morale goes the airline. Let's hope that our fellow airline friends can find new jobs, maybe a new airline. But for many a end of such a great career. Best luck to the future of NW and its' great people who have stood by its' side for so many years.

flyboyaz

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:41 pm

UA in TUS is supposed to have gotten the contract...I know that we at US bid for it but it involved using their existing ticket counter and gates. UA submitted a bid that would allow NW to give back the counter and gates. Last I heard there was a problem with the union though, both airlines use the same one and UA would be considered scabs or something like that. Great bunch of people we have in TUS...many have been there for literally decades. It's very sad.
Catch a ride on a smile!

United_fan

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:47 pm

That's too bad,I flew NW out of GSO last May on a DC-9 that was packed.Outsourcing is wrong....
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

KarlB737

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Courtesy: The Bismarck Tribune

Airline Employees May Be Replaced With Contract Workers

http://bismarcktribune.com/articles/2006/07/15/news/local/117814.txt

MalpensaSFO

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 2):
Is it possible the NW could outsource their ground work to CO?

One city this cannot be done is in Sacramento. Both Delta Airlines and Continental Airlines are in different terminals. In addition Delta Airlines alreadys handles Hawaiian Airlines at SMF as well.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

burnsie28

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:29 pm

I also forgot to mention UA is outsourcing, despite all the flights they have a day to Colorado Springs, they will be getting rid of people here too.

BatonOps

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:41 pm

I feel sorry for all the folks that will loose their jobs...and their benefits from NW.

It's going to be especially hard for those that loose their jobs around the holidays.

fdex727

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:56 pm

As for GSO there are NW employees inside, but CO has always handled the ramp for everyone but DL in the North terminal.

avconsultant

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:01 am

Does anyone know if OH is bidding on the midwest cities? They're hungry for revenue.

flyinryan99

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 16):
I also forgot to mention UA is outsourcing, despite all the flights they have a day to Colorado Springs, they will be getting rid of people here too.

Are they going to use Skywest employees then? Also, is UA going to dump their only mainline flight into there too?

HPRamper

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:11 am

I'm glad PDX isn't on the list. Those NW employees are good people, and the last thing I want to see is yet another airline go to contract work.

ramprat74

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 16):

Who told you this?

isitsafenow

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 15):
this cannot be done

As James Bond said.."never say never"...
With NW management, there is always a way.....and its theirs.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

uadc8contrail

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting Ramprat74 (Reply 22):
Who told you this?

Ramp,
GSO,IND & COS are on the chopping block..RFPs are due on monday, would bet that SKYWEST will bid on cos as they have a crew and mx base there...chautauqua in my opinion would want ind..iirc arent they hq there???
bus driver.......move that bus:)

fdex727

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 24):
chautauqua in my opinion would want ind..iirc arent they hq there???

I don't think they have any ground crew employees.

GSO would not suprise me as I transferred out right after 9/11 thinking express would take over. They still are a very senior station so United is no doubt looking to cut labor even though the yields are back up with DH being gone. I do hope GSO and IND turn out to false rumors as I still have many friends at both.

clipper707

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:19 am

It is a sad day with the airlines once again. Many good people will loose their jobs and maybe everything they have worked so hard for.
Looks like a good time to land a ramp job with XJ or ZW. The pay isn't the greatest, but it's better than not having a job at all.  cry 

Clipper707  airplane 
The Clippers Gone But Not Forgotten

ramprat74

Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:16 am

Ramp,
GSO,IND & COS are on the chopping block..RFPs are due on monday, would bet that SKYWEST will bid on cos as they have a crew and mx base there...chautauqua in my opinion would want ind..iirc arent they hq there???

This is the first I have heard of this. Well this sucks. I know some of these stations are down to one mainline a day. We, here in PDX are keeping our 24 mainline flights for the fall schedule. That's good news for us.

Good luck to all the UA and NW employees affected by this outsourcing.

DesertAir

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:38 am

I am not suprised to see TUS on the list...with one flight a day, two during the winter months. US does the ground work for CO if I am not mistaken. Since NW is in the same terminal as US, CO I thought US would receive the contract.

Trvlr

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:49 am

Does "outsourcing" at stations out of reach of the likes of ZW and XJ (SJC, SAN etc) necessarily mean that other airlines will handle NW? I ask because at SAN, moving NW's operations to DL or CO's area of Terminal 2 would be next to impossible in terms of gate availability.

Maybe SAN is in for another airline/terminal switcheroo.

Aaron G.

DTWAGENT

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:29 am

This is not good.... What about TOL... Are they express employees or main line?

Chuck

nwafflyer

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:57 am

Really, one of the worst things going on here -- high seniority keeps your job, so it doesn't matter if your station is going away or staying. If you are low seniority at say IND, you will be replaced by a higher seniority person from another (closing) airport.

This makes for rotten morale everywhere. As a self employed business person, I understand the value of cost cutting, but I also understand the value of stability, visibility, etc. --

So, your local airport may stay NW, but the local crew will be gone - replaced with xxx god zillion year seniority people, who are probably going to be bitchy, because they had to move to local airport

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:18 am

TOL is currently a Mesaba station.

That is true, high senority can bump lower senority at other stations. The question becomes how many people are willing to uproot themselves.

mtnwest1979

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 15):
One city this cannot be done is in Sacramento. Both Delta Airlines and Continental Airlines are in different terminals. In addition Delta Airlines alreadys handles Hawaiian Airlines at SMF as well.

So what does that have to do with anything? All they would have do do is go back and forth between terminals. And if there were same general flight times, designate folks or hire a few more.
And you can handle more than two airlines.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 21):
I'm glad PDX isn't on the list.

Yes as a friend of mine just became a NW ramper about a month ago.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

AJMIA

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:10 am

Wow this is just a crime. I feel soo bad for the NW employees.

How many stations will remain with NW employees?

What is the criteria for a station to retain NW employees?

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

AirRyan

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:46 am

I saw the ad in the paper last weekend for ramp workers here in AUS - $8.50 an hour to start! What a deal - if I can overtime and work 80 hours a week, I might just be able to afford living in Austin and the gas to get to work!

OMA2FAI2SAV

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:11 am

How is NW to work with? I ask this question because, here in SAV NW was staffed by NW employees. Then they went to all Airlink flights, and were outsourced at the ramp and cs levels. First, DL ran things for them. But the NW folks were so hard to work with, DL gave up the contract to Expressjet. Now, Expressjet is looking to hand the contract off to someone else. I know that NW has been to every station manager here in SAV and not one has taken the offer. I dont know what will happen when the contract is up with Expressjet, but I know that they are not going to re new.
If the best things in life are free, why am I always so broke?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:34 am

About 40 stations will remain with NW employees. The criteria being the station had to have 50 or more mainline flights per week. So roughly 5-6 daily flights of MAINLINE, not Airlink.

Yes this is bad news for the employees, and the very senior ones at many of these outstations. Call it a crime if you like, but unfortunetely thats the reality of this industry and business in general these days. There is no such thing as job security anymore. You can say NW is evil all you want, but consider this, NW IS IN CH. 11. They are bankrupt, they need to cut costs. For most of these stations, almost everyone else is ground handled by their regional carriers or a 3rd party like DGS. NW, unlike many of them, actually still flies mainline aircraft into many of these cities. Some of the cities on the list haven't seen a mainline aircraft in a few years. So, is NW going to continue with its cost disadvantage, or just try to pay what everyone else is. This is the way the industry has been going, not just NW. There are far too many people out there who will line up for these jobs, and think $8.50/hr is great, since its better than what Wendy's or Target were paying. The consumer doesn't care, they just want their $100 trans-con. So as much as it stinks, at least the other 40 or so stations will survive. I don't think that US or CO even has 40 mainline stations anymore in the United States, everything has been outsourced.

As for SAV, NW never had their own employees in there. When the station first opened in 2003, ground handling was by DGS, with DL customer service. The service was terrible, so NW did not renew the contract and went to ExpressJet. Pinnacle operates most flights in there, with a seasonal mainline flight, and a occasionally a seasonal Avro (no more).

Cory6188

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 37):
I don't think that US or CO even has 40 mainline stations anymore in the United States, everything has been outsourced.

I don't know about US, but as far as CO goes, there really isn't much of a difference between CO employees and ExpressJet employees, at least those that work in the terminal. Either way, they're all totally knowledgeable about everything CO-related, and I haven't seen any drop in customer service because someone has been an ExpressJet employee. In fact, I sometimes believe that the ExpressJet people are nicer than their CO counterparts, especially the CO CSR's in EWR.

m404

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Burnsie .. What is your source. No. I'm not doubting you in the least. In fact, I've been waiting to see how NW employees would find out first, from NW or from A.net. Do you know if this is posted systemwide yet?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

davestanKSAN

Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 29):

CO and DL are already outsourced at SAN. A company named GAT does their ramp. I've heard ATS (another contact company) might pick up the NW contract.

All the best to the employees at NW. I hope they and their families get through this tough time. May they find an easy path to their dreams.

Cheers,
Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

Indy

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:48 pm

GSO,IND & COS are on the chopping block

Don't know about COS and GSO but its highy unlikely that the crew here will be outsourced. IND is NW's 4th largest domestic operation. Back on the 13th I believe they hosted a job fair to help fill shortages in the ramp and csr positions.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

gift4tbone

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 9):
Are the ground employees being relocated if they want to, or are they just being laid off?

Well, as a current Aramark employee who does Delta, Spirit, and helps NW, and I will be going to DTW on wen for the physical to work directly for NW, I can tell you that they(we if all goes well), will have a choice in to take a severance or to bounce into cities that are not closing. Although at ALL NW ramp stations that will continue to have NW ramp workers (50+ flts/wk), they are going to 50% part-time, which, sucks.

I am hoping to get a PT up in Boston, and continue working here for aramark, I agree I hate outsourcing even though i work for a outsource company(did just to get my foot in the door, and its working). Hopefully NW will choose good companies to take over their ramp, We (aramark) WERE rumored to get the contract as we help them out currently, but the new rumor is that ATS is going to come back to PVD just for NW. So we shall see how it all plays out.

Goodluck to all the NW employees affected by this.

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

m404

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:18 pm

Actually, the new contract states that the remaining stations MAY go as high as 50% PT depending on operational viability. Supposedly MEM ramp has been told they will be at 39% at least through the summer.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

gift4tbone

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting M404 (Reply 43):
the new contract states that the remaining stations MAY go as high as 50% PT

May go? So its not definate? Thats not what the guys here have told me, but there is only six of them, so they may be a little out of the loop. That might be good for me,becuase if I get the position over there, I would love a FT transfer into PHX, I want to go back home, lol.

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

flyboyaz

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 38):
In fact, I sometimes believe that the ExpressJet people are nicer than their CO counterparts, especially the CO CSR's in EWR.

Oh no kidding! The CSR's in IAH are pretty miserable too...I've been treated so poorly as a nonrev by them countless times. The mainline FA's I think are much more professional.
Catch a ride on a smile!

John

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:18 pm

And there goes NW's customer service...right down the shitta!

RL757PVD

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:32 pm

One thing that comes to mind is the rumored BDL-AMS. BDL has 48-49 weekly mainline flights (just below the threshold). I would imagine if they were going to add this flight that BDL would have been spared. I cant imagine Mesaba/Pinacle etc.. handling/servicing INTL flights. Thoughts?
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

isitsafenow

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting John (Reply 46):
And there goes NW's customer service...right down the shitta!

Well, the jury(that's the users of NW) hasn't convened yet. Clients of NW who use the carrier at least once a month will make that call early next year.
In "plane" talk......its too early to tell.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

toltommy

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 47):
I cant imagine Mesaba/Pinacle etc.. handling/servicing INTL flights. Thoughts?

Mesaba handles int'l flights now at DTW and MSP. Canada is still intl, right? Procedures are already in place, just needs to go to a larger scale. FWIW, I think BDL-AMS is just a pipe dream....