FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

B6 To MIA Announcement July 21?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:21 am

according to wikipedia...someone pulling our leg?

On July 21, 2006 they will announce their single largest new city expansion, Miami, Florida.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

luv2fly

RE: B6 To MIA Announcement July 21?

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:22 am

Did Miss Cleo post that on Wikipedia?
You can cut the irony with a knife

NASBWI

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:27 am

If they do, it'd be a shock to most of us, I'm sure. Last I heard, MCO was going to be our Florida focus. I guess time will tell
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

jetbluefan1

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:32 am

Highly doubt it. There's already a lot of announced expansion - someone probably posted false facts on Wikipedia. Such rumors aren't new, either.

JetBluefan1

B752OS

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Thread starter):
On July 21, 2006 they will announce their single largest new city expansion, Miami, Florida.

I am just wondering why it is being called their single largest new city expansion?

b6sea

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:42 am

What a coincidence, NW is selling their DC9 fleet, DL and AA are merging and buying 100 A350s, CO is also buying A350s just for the hell of it, and UA LH are both installing ptvs on all their aircraft ON THE SAME DAY!!!!

-Chans

[Edited 2006-07-17 00:45:47]

jetbluefan1

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting B6sea (Reply 5):
What a coincidence, SA)">NW is selling their DC9 fleet, SA)">DL and SA)">AA are merging and buying 100 A350s, SA)">CO is also buying A350s just for the hell of it, and SA)">UA LH are both installing ptvs on all their aircraft ON THE SAME DAY!!!!

Really?

No, j/k of course lol. I guess this pretty much confirms that the July 21st "announcement" is completely fake.

Though I wish it weren't...

JetBluefan1

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:11 am

There will be no announcement for jetBlue at MIA this week. I wouldn't rule out an announcement this year, but definitley not this week.

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 2):
If they do, it'd be a shock to most of us, I'm sure. Last I heard, MCO was going to be our Florida focus. I guess time will tell

Definitley not if jetBlue gets the gates at FLL that they want.

Quoting B752OS (Reply 4):
I am just wondering why it is being called their single largest new city expansion?

Probably because many rumours have talked about how jetBlue plans to open up MIA in the same way they opened up Boston, with a large amount of markets. Though there certainly will not be an MIA announcement this week, and nothing will happen until MIA announces their new usage fees for Concourse F and G.

[Edited 2006-07-17 01:12:11]
a.

dutchjet

Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:30 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Thread starter):
according to wikipedia...

This seems to be the problem.......last week, JetBlue was adding Atlantic City to its route network, and before that is was Victoria, BC.

DeltaMIA

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
Probably because many rumours have talked about how jetBlue plans to open up MIA in the same way they opened up Boston, with a large amount of markets.

Actually from what I hear B6 will announce the cities in Florida they do not presently serve, yet are served by DL. Start dates are supposed to be in FEB06. Look for MIA, PNS, DAB and MLB. I don't really like to comment on rumors, but this one seems legit from what I have heard.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

kimmykun

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:34 am

The problem with Wikipedia is that anyone can edit it and so it's easy to vandalize. Eventually vandalism is reverted, but sometimes it takes a couple days before someone catches it and it just starts rumors. So, never go by what Wikipedia says.

luv2fly

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 am

I am sure FLL will do what it takes to keep B6 happy and content in FLL.

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting DeltaMIA (Reply 9):
Actually from what I hear B6 will announce the cities in Florida they do not presently serve, yet are served by DL. Start dates are supposed to be in FEB06. Look for MIA, PNS, DAB and MLB. I don't really like to comment on rumors, but this one seems legit from what I have heard.

I have heard MIA, DAB, and MLB. I have heard nothing of PNS, interesting. It could be a good market for a daily E90 to JFK.

The FEB07 start date for MIA would make perfect sense, because that is when Concourse J opens and jetBlue would be able to move into F/G.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 11):
I am sure FLL will do what it takes to keep B6 happy and content in FLL.

Easier said than done. FLL can't just pull another 3-4 gates out of the ground. jetBlue has been asking for more gates for three years and FLL has done nothing. Not because they don't want to, they do, but because they simply can't.

[Edited 2006-07-17 02:41:39]
a.

luv2fly

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
Easier said than done. FLL can't just pull another 3-4 gates out of the ground. jetBlue has been asking for more gates for three years and FLL has done nothing. Not because they don't want to, they do, but because they simply can't.

Look how long it took Frontier to get more gates at DIA and in the end they did, same will happen in FLL.

usairways85

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:08 am

When B6 does enter the MIA market, will it be just some flts to the big B6 cities or will it essentially take the place of the FLL focus city? Does it depend on whether B6 gets more gates in FLL or will B6 keep all of FLL's current operations and essentially have focus cities in both FLL and MIA?

luv2fly

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting Usairways85 (Reply 14):
When B6 does enter the MIA market, will it be just some flts to the big B6 cities or will it essentially take the place of the FLL focus city? Does it depend on whether B6 gets more gates in FLL or will B6 keep all of FLL's current operations and essentially have focus cities in both FLL and MIA?

IMHO - I would be surprised to see them in MIA earlier than 2008!

KenMIA

Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:54 am

Some time in '05 wasn't there talk of a B6 operation at MIA commencing in early '06? If so, where along the way did that get derailed?

jetblueatjfk

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting KenMIA (Reply 16):
Some time in '05 wasn't there talk of a B6 operation at MIA commencing in early '06? If so, where along the way did that get derailed?

I don't really know where it went off but I remember the talks. But also when they were announcing the BOS expansion everyone thought that would be MIA, then some stuff surfaced back in 05 and now it is coming up again. Who really knows when all this will start. I am hoping for a PNS flight, that would make me very happy. Also DAB MLB would be very great additions. If EYW could handle it they should send about 2 190's to EYW seasonal service though since I think EYW has some off periods.

B6jfk airplane 

MCOflyer

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:28 pm

I just applied for a part-time Customer Service Crew position @ MCO. If they come to MLB, I'm applying for everything there is. MLB is my location, but I commute thru Orlando to Ocala quite a bit.

Btw,

I thought there is a restrction on slots out of FLL. I know B6 is big in MCO. I hope they make a base out here. If FLL cant do, look for MCO to be the focus city.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

jetbluefan1

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 18):
I thought there is a restrction on slots out of FLL.

The FAA was seriously considering making FLL a slot-restricted airport a few years ago due to congestion and high amounts of delays. However, within the last year, congestion has decreased and delays have dropped as a result.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
Definitley not if jetBlue gets the gates at FLL that they want.

Where are the prospective gates? Also, which other airlines are "competing" for them and how likely do you think it is that JetBlue will receive them?

Has anyone wondered why neither CO nor NW haven't moved their operations into Terminal D with Delta? They all have codeshare agreements and it seems (to me at least) that the Delta terminal is underused. By doing so, a couple of gates in Terminal C would be freed up, thereby giving JetBlue a couple as well as WN (which is right next door in Terminal B, though the two terminals are connected). Heck, I know YX operates out of D as well, so they could move their ops. to Terminal C as well to help free up space to either NW or CO which would move to D.

Am I being too confusing? I guess you need to have been to FLL to know what I'm talking about...

JetBluefan1

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 19):

Where are the prospective gates? Also, which other airlines are "competing" for them and how likely do you think it is that JetBlue will receive them?

jetBlue simply wants more gates, and FLL can't get them to them unless they can get other airlines to move around. Certain airlines, like AA and US, are hogging gates because they have more than they need, which makes shuffling airlines difficult.
a.

LAXintl

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 20):
are hogging gates

checkmark 
Experiencing similar situation at LAX with several airlines.

These days getting airplanes is the easy part. Getting facilities is the name of the game. With most US airports not using the common use concept, by default upstarts and carriers looking to expand get boxed in by many legacy carriers operating under long term exclusive leases without any "use it, or loose it" provisions.

Ultimately commerce and competition gets restrained at some airports due to carriers monopolizing facilities.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

blrBird

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 21):
US airports not using the common use concept,

Is this the norm every where else?? if so what is stopping US airports to follow this?
from star dust....

MAH4546

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting BlrBird (Reply 22):
Quoting Laxintl (Reply 21):
US airports not using the common use concept,

Is this the norm every where else?? if so what is stopping US airports to follow this?

Very few US airports use common use, and, AFAIK, the only major one that does is MIA.
a.

RL757PVD

Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:13 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 23):
Very few US airports use common use, and, AFAIK, the only major one that does is MIA.

LAS IAD and MCO all have sizeable CUTE (Common Use Terminal Equipment) facilities also, IIRC SEA has some too (near DL?).

Though not "major" SNA i believe is 100% CUTE

You can bet that as airline cutbacks continue to burn airports by sitting on underutilized gates that more airports will shift to a CUTE system to maximize efficency.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

LAXintl

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting BlrBird (Reply 22):

To my knowledge really no US airport has a true common use concept.

In such a concept ticket counters and gates become carrier neutral with any carrier using any counter or gate as demand requires.

For example checkin counters can serve multiple airlines at different times. If an airlines only has a single narrow body flight at a certain time it might get only 3 check in positions, while another time if it has 5 simultaneous flights might get 10+ positions

Much of the US terminal design, and airport leases go back to a very different time frame to pre deregulation when a few major airlines controlled air transport in the country. Most airport as such operate under exclusive lease schemes where airlines lock of specific ticket counters, concourses, terminals and gates for long term periods. Many of such leases can run 20+ years.

Regretfully exclusive leases have served to hamper competition at many US airports.

From a capacity point of view facility usage can be increased significantly by adopting common use

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 24):
sizeable CUTE

CUTE is a registered trademark of SITA. Basically all it refers to is common use computer workstations setup. There are indeed US airports that are 100% CUTE however airlines still maintain locks on ticket counters and gates.
CUTE along with other infrastructure are a way towards common use facilities, however only one slice.

B777ER

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:45 am

They will make a killing on the DAB flights. The airport is so under used right now. DL has about 6 dailys right now (8 in the winter I believe) to ATL and CO has two to EWR. I know the airport authority has been wooing B6 for a long time and they have plenty of gate space for them. I guess the main competition will be CO to EWR.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 25):

To my knowledge really no US airport has a true common use concept.

In such a concept ticket counters and gates become carrier neutral with any carrier using any counter or gate as demand requires.

MIA is 100% common use. Check-in counters even have large plasma TVs behind them so that check-ins can quickly switch between airlines.
a.

mdaddy

Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting KenMIA (Reply 16):

I can tell you as an MIA person that B6 has been deferred indefintely. As mentioned elsewhere, we are still debating "differential pricing" for rental rates and this will affect all airlines business decisions. One also has to sense that B6 has concerns about expansion period, what with returning aircraft and deferring orders. I think they want to strengthen their financial hand before jumping into the shark (re: AA) infested waters of MIA.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting Mdaddy (Reply 28):
I can tell you as an MIA person that B6 has been deferred indefintely. As mentioned elsewhere, we are still debating "differential pricing" for rental rates and this will affect all airlines business decisions.

While the decission has definitley been deferred indefinitley, jetBlue and MIA will be talking again once the new rates can be identified, which will hopefully be within 4-5 months.
a.

LAXintl

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 27):
MIA is 100% common use. Check-in counters even have large plasma TVs behind them so that check-ins can quickly switch between airlines.

How can that be? Airlines still have swats of permanent ticket counter space.

From what I remember checking desk down by A concourse seem common use however much of the remaining facility seems to have permanent counter positions with airlines having permanent backwall designs and signage up.

This is at least what I have seen as recently as this spring.

Correct me if I am wrong and things have changed since. If so big kudos to the MIA airport mafia.

MAH4546

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 30):
Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 27):

How can that be? Airlines still have swats of permanent ticket counter space.

Everything went common use in the past year or so. All the big airline signs were taken down and replaced with plasma TVs. Now, even though it is indeed common use, there is not a heavy crunch for check-in space right now, so the common use aspect is not used heavily, mainly with some of the smaller airlines. American Airlines uses common use check-ins, but they obviously do not share them. El Al also never shares their check-in, which has special bomb-detecting machines.
a.

AAFlyer2006

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:58 am

Although I doubt they would announce MIA on the July 21st, I wouldn't be surprised if they went to MIA eventually.

When jetBlue started flying, they seemed to fly from smaller airports or secondary airports airports in major metro areas. Examples of this are JFK instead of LGA, OAK instead of SFO, LGB instead of LAX, FLL instead of MIA, and IAD instead of DCA. This kept landing costs low and congestion to a minimum. This was definitely a factor, although not the only factor, in the success and profitability of the airline.

Lately, jetBlue has been straying from this winning formula. Now, to serve Chicago, jetBlue will only fly from ORD and in NYC jetBlue flies out of JFK, but also the congested LGA and EWR. jetBlue could continue this trend by adding flights to MIA. But primary airports, especially MIA, tend to be expensive and can force an airline and its customers to face congestion while getting to and flying from the airport.

This new formula may work as well as the old formula (smaller airports). The new formula (primary airports) has some significant advantages, like larger catchment areas and convenience to some fliers. However, if jetBlue had a winning formula, why would it deviate from that formula? If its not broken, why fix it?

LAXintl

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 31):

Thanks for the info. Glad to see a major US airport move in such direction.

blrBird

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:42 am

Thanks for info MAH4546 and Laxintl.
from star dust....

FlyPNS1

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
I have heard nothing of PNS, interesting. It could be a good market for a daily E90 to JFK.

I would love to see B6 at PNS, but I think it is unlikely in the near term. It seems odd that PNS would be chosen, when B6 has many larger markets that could use service to JFK.

I think B6 could make money on a 1x daily to PNS, though that frequency isn't very conducive for any business traffic. 2x daily would be better though it might be too much capacity in the market.

tonytifao

Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:58 am

B6 will be flying to Sarasota, FL  Smile

Trust me  Smile

NASBWI

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting Tonytifao (Reply 36):
B6 will be flying to Sarasota, FL

Ya don't say! wideeyed  lol
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)