rwsea

AS To Get Rid Of Free Meals On Mid-Cons

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:10 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/s...006/07/10/daily36.html?jst=b_ln_hl

AS to start charging $5 for a meal on SEA-ORD/DFW/ANC/FAI, wheras a warm snack is currently offered. Yet another drop in the service quality of Alaska Airlines - the airline that used to use the slogan "for the same price, you just get more". First class will be given the "$5 meal" for free according to this article. This won't sit well with first class passengers that get "standard" first class meals on the same routes with AA/UA (in the case of ORD and DFW).

ikramerica

RE: AS To Get Rid Of Free Meals On Mid-Cons

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting RwSEA (Thread starter):
This won't sit well with first class passengers that get "standard" first class meals on the same routes with AA/UA

CO doesn't pull this crap on SEA-ANC either.

Hopefully the $5 meal will be good, but F deserves better than a $5 meal in plastic basket or whatever.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Outlier

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:20 pm

I've never been a big fan of airline food, but the AS Coach sandwich has often been tastier to me than just about anything I've gotten in First.

I wonder if the carry on limit will change to be: 1 personal item, 1 carry on, 1 pizza box or fast food bag

MCOflyer

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:32 pm

When we go to ELM, were flying CO because of my wonderful experience on them. My dad used to fly AS quite a bit to SEA. Hes going to be pissed. Is this the result of menzies hitting a/c? LOL.

Is the meals still being charged for the MCO run?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

FATFlyer

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
Hopefully the $5 meal will be good, but F deserves better than a $5 meal in plastic basket or whatever.

From alaskasworld.com:
"During morning mealtime flights, Alaska Airlines’ Northern Bites meal option will be a freshly prepared breakfast skillet, initially featuring a hearty breakfast of seasoned potatoes, scrambled eggs and grilled reindeer sausage. On lunch and dinner flights, the Northern Bites program will offer a turkey chipotle sandwich wrap with salsa or a quarter-pound U.S. Angus Beef cheeseburger with potato chips.
Breakfast picture at
http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/2006/07/14_meals.asp
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ikramerica

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 pm

Freshly prepared my butt. That's a microwave safe plastic dish just like I get at the store. Still looks better than a lot of coach food, but not better than what you would normally get in F.

Quoting Outlier (Reply 2):
I've never been a big fan of airline food, but the AS Coach sandwich has often been tastier to me than just about anything I've gotten in First.

Who's F are you flying? While I appreciate a good sandwich, I've had some rather nice F meals, too.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

rwsea

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:09 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 3):
Is the meals still being charged for the MCO run?

No - flights to Florida and the Northeast will continue to have free meals. However, I wouldn't be surprised if these went to buy-on-board in the next year or so as well. AS started this with Mexico, now moving to flights over 3 hours but not transcons. I think we'll see BOS/EWR/DCA/MCO/MIA in this category soon enough.