MAH4546
Topic Author

MX, AA Look At ASU

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:05 am

Asuncion airport officials are in talks with four airlines about new/resuming services, pending lowered landing fees and/or the elimination of a recent 6% travel agent commission. Mexicana has said they would like to start service to Mexico City if the airline will cut first-year rates by 70%.

American Airlines has said they will likely return, but this is only pending the elimination of of a 6% commision that is madated to travel agents. ASU officials are hoping to see what they can do, but the comission is mandated by law. Any return of AA would likely be non-stop to Miami with 757s, rather than via Brazil.

Asuncion officials have also spoken with TACA, hopeful to reach a deal similar to that with Mexicana. Talks with COPA have not been successful, as the airline has not put Asuncion on their 5-year plan, but the airport hopes to lure a 2x weekly service.

Article (Spanish only):
http://www.zicosur.com/www/php/det_det_det.php?id=1304&accion=det
a.

BALAX

RE: MX, AA Look At ASU

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:09 am

Thanks MAH. It'd be great to see new service by several airlines. MX 319 from MEX I'd suspect? I was just surprised at how quickly AA pulled the plug on ASU weeks after speculation of nonstops from MIA.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting BALAX (Reply 1):
Thanks MAH. It'd be great to see new service by several airlines. MX 319 from MEX I'd suspect? I was just surprised at how quickly AA pulled the plug on ASU weeks after speculation of nonstops from MIA.

AA pulled the plug as quickly as Paraguay made the new comissions law. Even though ASU was a marginal performer at best, they were ready to take the risk and upgrade it to a non-stop service. It was going to happen in 2006.
a.

juventus

Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:06 am

MX needs to increase their international presence. The Mexican LCCs will grow, and expand their domestic markets, MX (and AM) will need to look at international services more and more, just like the US majors are doing.

ghost77

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 am

Great!!! Good news to hear MX is considering ASU...!!! Hope they too still consider returning to UIO/GYE, LPB/VVI as well as SJU which is said it will be launch along with other 06 destinations in the US!!!

ghooost77 APM
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!