Stretch
Topic Author

Evergreen Field, 59S Closes For Good

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:24 pm

Tuesday, July 18th, 2006 the beloved Evergreen Field, home to the one and only Wally Olson will close at 8pm PDT.

If you have ever been to this field, flown with Wally, please share your thoughts.

In my humble opinion, this is one of the greatest attractions to the Southwest Washington aviation history! It tears my heart up to hear of her closing for good, all for the almighty tax dollar (thanks to you City of Vancouver). I spent many summers washing planes for ride time, many evenings just watching the Taylorcrafts floating in on a light summer breeze, dreaming of the days I too could be like that.

Good bye 59S, I really love that little piece of heaven.

Stretch

scintx

RE: Evergreen Field, 59S Closes For Good

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:03 am

Quoting Stretch (Thread starter):

Stretch,

I'm up in Portland this week for a job interview. I moved from Vancouver three years ago. I can't remember where Evergreen is. Is this the one on Millplain? Thanks
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

Stretch
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:33 am

That'd be the one. Just past 136th and Mill Plain. I don't know if there is the old photos of the field from 1945 or not, but great memories.

Stretch

HPRamper

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:57 am

So the NIMBYS finally won huh? Even though the airport had been there since before many of them were born...

Now, is this only one runway, or the whole field?

KELPkid

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:01 am

It'll make a fine strip mall  Wink I heard that was the extent of what the owner's kids wanted out of the property, anyways...

Too bad, I'll miss it. Wonder when the hole in the inner circle of PDX's class C airspace disappears?
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

rwsea

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:13 am

It's not exactly a case of NIMBY's - rather, the inheritants of the land simply wanted to sell. It's a prime piece of real estate ....

KELPkid

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 5):
It's not exactly a case of NIMBY's - rather, the inheritants of the land simply wanted to sell. It's a prime piece of real estate ....

Is it? Just what Vancouver, WA needs...another strip mall  sarcastic  I don't think anyone would want a residence along Mill Plain (at least that part). I think that the kids of the former owner were quite greedy...when did fuel service stop? I heard they did that to try to get the tenants of the field to move elsewhere.

Last I heard, there were still several dilapidated carcasses of GA aircraft on the field (mostly fabric-winged taildraggers). What will become of those?

Stretch
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):
I heard that was the extent of what the owner's kids wanted out of the property, anyways...

The local tax authority, City of Vancouver, has put the squeeze on the family since Wally's death. They are a bunch of power/money hungry NIMBY's who want nothing but prime tax dollars fluffing their coffers. His kids wanted to keep this airfield running for years and years.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 3):
Now, is this only one runway, or the whole field?

The North-South will remain open due to a lawsuit that was won by the homeowners association there.

Stretch
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 6):
Last I heard, there were still several dilapidated carcasses of GA aircraft on the field (mostly fabric-winged taildraggers). What will become of those?

A friend out there called me and said that they will be destroyed tonight if not moved by 8pm. After 8pm, property becomes the new developers baby.

KELPkid

Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Stretch (Reply 8):
A friend out there called me and said that they will be destroyed tonight if not moved by 8pm. After 8pm, property becomes the new developers baby.

Anyone know the legality of aircraft abandonment/salvage? This might be an opportunity for some fellow a.netters in the PDX area to become an aircraft owner...

clickhappy

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:15 am

Is this the field with the Eastern DC-3? If so, what will happen to it?

KELPkid

Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 10):
Is this the field with the Eastern DC-3? If so, what will happen to it?

Negative, that's VUO (Pearson Field...)

scintx

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Stretch (Reply 2):
That'd be the one. Just past 136th and Mill Plain. I don't know if there is the old photos of the field from 1945 or not, but great memories.

Stretch

This is really sad news. I use to watch the yellow J-Cub fly in there. What a great place this was. Glad I at least had the chance to see it. There was a small grass airfield not far away. It's off of Mill Plain same street the Library and Post Office are. You have to do a few turns on some residential streets and then this small grass airfield in a neighborhood. I wonder if that is still there? I could see the NIMBY's blowing a gasket over that! Thanks for the info.

Steve
Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation....We have assumed control.....We have assumed control......

HPRamper

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Scintx (Reply 12):
There was a small grass airfield not far away. It's off of Mill Plain same street the Library and Post Office are. You have to do a few turns on some residential streets and then this small grass airfield in a neighborhood. I wonder if that is still there?

I think that's actually the N-S runway of Evergreen, the one I suppose is remaining open? If you drive up 136th next to the transit center and look behind you you can see a piece of it until a wall gets in the way. Very small.